Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Question?

golfjack

For those who seem to think that Jesus didn't die a spiritual death, answer this: When Adam sinned did he die a physical death or spiritual death. I beliieve if man had never died spiritually, he would not havve died physically. Did Jesus die a spiritual death?

This questions are for you people who critize Word of faith people about what happened when Jesus died on the cross. Therefore, if you agree Jesus died a spiritual death, then you should apologize for your statements about Joel Osteen and Joyce Myers. What you said is bearing false witness to your neighbor.

May God bless, golfjack

Can you explain in elaborate terms what spiritual death is? And what happens at spiritual death? Then I can try to discern if Jesus died and suffered spiritual death!

To me it sounds like you are saying, Jesus' body died physically, spirit died spiritually. So for 3 days until His resurrection there wasn't a trinity in heaven but a twinity? Unless of course, you are going to make up some other convenient definition for "death".

It all boils down to whether you believe man has an immortal soul or immortal spirit.

Jesus did what He said He would do to fulfill the mandates of sin:

He died the second death
He rested in the grave
He was resurrected with a spiritual body
He then ascended into heaven

This was a precursor for the resurrection of the dead. Without Christ doing this, there would be no resurrection, hence no eternal life.

Jesus' 'soul' was not alive and roaming around the netherworld, nor did it ascend into heaven so He could come back down and inhabit His body again. This is reading a dualistic pattern into the clear teaching of the Bible, thus robbing the resurrection of its significance for conquering death and the resurrection of the just.

Good questions TanNinety. And Guibox, I agree with your comments except "He died the second death". For Christ it was his first and only death.

Golfjack, it is confusing in the account of Adam's sin and subsequent death, because in Gen.2:17, the Hebrew repeats the verbs for emphasis, and a literal translation, such as in Young's Translation might help clear it up; at least it did for me:

Gen. 2:16,17, "And Jehovah God layeth a charge on the man, saying, 'Of every tree of the garden eating thou dost eat; and of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou dost not eat of it, for in the day of thine eating of it--dying thou dost die.' "

Adam and Eve didn't die that day, but they began dying and Adam died 930 years later.

To me, "spiritual death" is almost a misnomer, because "spirit" has to do with invisible energy and power, and is almost opposite of "death".

I know the term is used by many preachers and theologians in this case, and in other verses, such as "when we were dead in trespasses and sins" Eph. 2:1. But it makes more sense to me to interpret it as literal or figurative; and, since Paul is writing to alive people, the sense must be "figurative".

Bick

golfjack said:
For those who seem to think that Jesus didn't die a spiritual death, answer this: When Adam sinned did he die a physical death or spiritual death.
Adam and Eve sinned by eating the forbidden fruit but they did not die physically becasue what actually God said to them is this, the Lord said to them, "by the time you eat of the fruit of the tree of........, you will be clothed in sinned". Men were created sinless in the very beginning.

[quote:4b53a]I beliieve if man had never died spiritually, he would not havve died physically. Did Jesus die a spiritual death?
[/quote:4b53a]
What is spiritually dead in your perception?

When Adam sinned there was a spiritual separation between him and God, The fellowship they had was lost. He also began to physically die and age at that time. Jesus died physically and perhaps in a sense even temporarily spiritually since the Father turned away from Him when Jesus bore our sins upon Himself. That made a temporary separation between the Son and the Father. Did Jesus not say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" However, if Jesus suffered any "spiritual" death while on the cross, unlike Adam it was NOT because of His own sin since He was and is sinless.

Back