Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Red Mosque hostage kids tell parents: We are martyrs

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
R

Rick W

Red Mosque hostage kids tell parents: We are martyrs
Cleric: 'The boys are the 1st line of defense, then the girls ... they will fight to the death'

The radical leader of Islamabad's Red Mosque, under siege for the last six days by hundreds of Pakistan troops, said the 1,800 children he claims are still in the religious-school complex have taken oaths on the Quran to fight to the death, a frightening possibility confirmed by frantic parents who have spoken by cell phone with sons and daughters who say they soon hope to be martyrs.

"I spoke to my daughter. She said there was no food or water left," said Luftullah Khan, a shopkeeper, who was able to get through to them on their cell phone. "I tried to arrange a meeting, but she said, 'We're here – my dead body will be here. I will not leave my teachers'."

Followers of Abdul Rashid Ghazi, leader of the pro-Taliban mosque, said yesterday 30 girls had been buried in a mass grave inside the complex.

The six-day siege has been mostly restrained, with the military wanting to avoid massive bloodshed. Children from two madrassas, or religious schools, are being held in the mosque. According to London Sunday Times, they have been moved to the basement of the complex.

Yesterday, the army shelled sections of the wall surrounding the complex, bringing them down, and fired tear gas at the militants, but avoided a direct attack on the mosque.

"We have reports that women and children have been locked in the basement floors. If we blow any of the walls, the whole building would collapse on them," one officer told the Times.

While no fuel, food or water is getting into the complex, Ghazi's followers say they have enough ammunition to hold out for 25 or 30 days.

Ghazi, who has said he and his followers will fight to the end, now says the 1,800 children he holds have been divided into two groups and will join his fighters against any assault.

"The boys are the first line of defense, then the girls," he said. "They have all sworn an oath on the Koran that they will fight to the death."

The standoff was sparked a week ago by Musharraf's crackdown on the mosque after the increasingly militant group's months-long campaign of intimidation in Islamabad, imposing Sharia law and punishment on the city's citizens.

Yesterday, Musharraf, who reportedly escaped an assassination attempt when rockets were fired at his airplane, issued an ultimatum to the radicals: "People hiding in the Red Mosque should come out, otherwise they will get killed. Action will be taken against them if they don't come out."

Khan, the desperate father and shopkeeper, succeeded Friday in getting his two daughters to leave the compound with a ruse.

Reaching them once again by cell phone, he told them their mother was ill and lay unconscious on the pavement outside. The two girls left the compound and were taken by their father.

Saima, Khan's 10-year-old daughter, denounced the trick.

"The teachers taught us about martyrdom and that it is a great achievement," she told the Times. "I could see the fighting was in front of me and I could understand that we would die. I felt real anger about what my father did. He tricked me."

"I'm taking them back to our village," Khan said. "They were ready for martyrdom and they're very angry with me. I'm just happy I've got my daughters back, and sorry for those whose daughters are still in there."

According to Khan, Saima's transformation had taken only eight weeks.

It is a shame what fundamentalism can do - especially extreme fundamentalism can do - regardless of the faith.

Please remember - these children and yes even the leader of the mosque - they are not agents of evil - rather they are victims of evil.

aLoneVoice said:
Please remember - these children and yes even the leader of the mosque - they are not agents of evil - rather they are victims of evil.

I accept this. Never heard it before but deception is just that and Satan is very good at it. He's had a lot of practice at using pride against mankind itself.

aLoneVoice said:
It is a shame what fundamentalism can do - especially extreme fundamentalism can do - regardless of the faith.

Thing is, the Quran contains commandments toward violence of the infidel, unbeliever. It's those passages the extreme fundamentalists focus on ignoring the rest.

Fundamentalism is something I hope we all hold to in that there is but one Rock. Mixing and matching or more accurately a pick and choose strategy doesn't work. We all need to be on the same page as far as essentials are concerned anyway. Yes, there are various christian denominations focusing on this or on that yet we are all members of the army of God led to fulfill a certain purpose. Where one plants another may water. We can't all be planters convinced that planting is the only true work of God.
Yet, we must be like-minded in the "fundamental" messages from the Word of God. Without that we become nothing more than grass blown to and fro with little or no semblance of a sound foundation.

Devotion and fundamentalism are seperate things, in my mind atleast.

Fundamentalism is a legalistic - works driven - form of devotion.

I've always thought of fundementalism as adhering to those things that are fundemental.
For example ... Christ died, was buried and rose again is fundemental.

And:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

is also fundemental.

:smt102

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back