Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Revelation 21:14 omits name of one apostle. Who was that?

Rajesh Sahu

2024 Supporter
I have a question, and it is from Revelation 21:14:​
"The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb."​

Now according to my understanding, Jesus had handpicked 12 disciples, Judas being one of them. After Christ ascension to heaven , and Judas' suicide, the remaining 11 apostles picked Matthias as twelfth apostle. Then paul comes in and proclaims himself as Apostle, making him the thirteenth. My question is out of the thirteen apostles , which one was omitted by God in Revelation 21:14? One of these obviously didn't find favor with God. Who was that man? Am I missing out on something?

We always say that Israel had 12 tribes...but the truth is something different.

So before we can answer your question we have to understand the Old Testament question of 12/13/14?

I checked different versions of Bible. They are all pretty much in union / agreement with each other. Plus apostle John was shown this visions. And this is what he actually saw, even if old testament mentioned 12 13 or 14 . John saw 12. One apostle did not find favor. Who was that ? Answer is not in OT John. It's in NT

I checked different versions of Bible. They are all pretty much in union / agreement with each other. Plus apostle John was shown this visions. And this is what he actually saw, even if old testament mentioned 12 13 or 14 . John saw 12. One apostle did not find favor. Who was that ? Answer is not in OT John. It's in NT
I'm not disagreeing with you on that.
What I am saying is that it was said that there were "12" tribes of Israel...but there were actually more. John is Jewish and so is Jesus. Thinking in Jewish terms is part for the course.

So I'm asking how there was only 12 when there were more than that.

I believe what John saw was IT, like the final verdict , even considering there were more than 12 in OT. But it was 12 that God chose to honor the lamb and his 12 apostles. Only one of them couldnt find favor with God/ Lamb

So you are proposing that God actually disfavored one Apostle and all of the people he ministered to?

Now according to my understanding, Jesus had handpicked 12 disciples, Judas being one of them. After Christ ascension to heaven , and Judas' suicide, the remaining 11 apostles picked Matthias as twelfth apostle. Then paul comes in and proclaims himself as Apostle, making him the thirteenth. My question is out of the thirteen apostles , which one was omitted by God in Revelation 21:14? One of these obviously didn't find favor with God. Who was that man? Am I missing out on something?
the NT mentions 25 apostles so who are the 12 in revelations?

It’s a trick question. The Lord told the apostle they were to wait but instead they went and elected another. Their disobedience on their part plagued Paul for the rest of his ministry. Paul was continually having to defend his apostleship. Each book he wrote he testified that he, Paul, was God’s Will to be the apostle not Matthais who was elected by men not raised by God.

Last edited:
Back