Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Signs of Salvation.

Tenchi

Philippians 3:2-3
2 Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision;
3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,

God's word offers many clear indicators of a genuine, spiritual "second birth,"* of being a true child of God, indwelt by the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 John 4:13). No one ever has to be confused or uncertain about whether or not they're really saved (2 Corinthians 13:5). In the passage above, the apostle Paul offered some of the signs of salvation, particularly in contrast to the fleshly, legalistic approach to God of those of the "circumcision":

1.) Worship in the Spirit.
2.) Glory in Jesus Christ.
3.) Put no confidence in the flesh.

Worship in the Spirit.

What does it mean to "worship in the Spirit"? Well, always, the first place to look for understanding of Scripture is in the immediate context of a word, phrase, or verse. In the case of Philippians 3:2-3, Paul defines what he means by "worship in the Spirit" within the verse in which this phrase appears. In explanation, he writes: glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh. When, as a mark of my salvation, I'm worshiping in the Spirit, I will not be glorifying myself, exalting my powers or personal achievements, or an experience I've had, or other people, but Christ alone. Is there support for this reading in other places in God's word? Yes:

1 Corinthians 2:2
2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31
30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
31 so that, just as it is written, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Galatians 6:14
14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

A person who is of the "true circumcision" which is to say "born-again in Christ," worships in the Spirit which is characterized by a glorification of Jesus Christ. Is this the only way in which I "worship in the Spirit"? No, Paul also wrote that one who worships in this way "puts no confidence in the flesh." What did he mean by this? Being an apt teacher, Paul gave an example of what he meant, speaking of those "fleshly" things in which he could have placed his confidence (but didn't):

Philippians 3:4-6
4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more:
5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

When I "worship in the Spirit" I not only have my eyes fixed on Jesus, looking away from myself and glorifying him, but I don't rely on my "credentials" to commend me to God (or other believers) as I worship Him in the Spirit. As one hymnist put it: "Nothing in my hands I bring, only to thy cross I cling." I have nothing in myself, in the scope of my human powers, in my accomplishments, or skills that didn't ultimately originate in God. Of what, then, do I have to boast before Him, or to rely upon to commend me to Him? Paul asked this question of the believers at Corinth:

1 Corinthians 4:7
7 For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?

And so, as I worship God in the Spirit, glorifying Christ and forsaking all human qualification or achievement as the basis for my approach to God, I reveal that I am His born-again child, one of the "true circumcision" not made by human hands but by the sanctifying work of the Spirit (Romans 2:29; Galatians 5:1-12; Titus 3:5). There is, though, one other way, one necessary circumstance, under which I must worship in the Spirit: Submission. If I try to worship God without being submitted to Him, willfully, consciously having yielded myself to His control and doing so all throughout each day, I am attempting to worship Him as one in rebellion toward Him! Be assured: God does not ever accept the worship of a rebel. Crucial, then, to worshiping in the Spirit, is submission to the Spirit, yielding myself to his control, which Paul described as "walking in/by the Spirit: (Galatians 5:16, 25).

Isn't it fascinating that, in defining from immediate context what it is to "worship in the Spirit," it's been possible - even necessary, actually - to do so in terms of the other two interrelated marks of one who is of the "true (spiritual) circumcision"? God's word truly is remarkable!

So, do you worship in the Spirit, glorifying Christ and forsaking all confidence in your flesh? If so, you have, in these things, confirmation of your membership in God's kingdom and family. Thank God that He has not left the question of the genuineness of our salvation a mystery!

* (Other common signs of a genuine spiritual birth are: love of the brethren (1 John 3:14), witness of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:16), love of Christ (1 John 4:16-19; Romans 5:5), spiritual understanding (1 Corinthians 2:10-16), desire for holiness (1 John 1:6), etc.)

Last edited:
Back