Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sin issue?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
P

Proximity

Ok, first of all i don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this topic, so if it isn't if a moderator would be so kind, please move it to the correct location.

So the topic that i've been discussing a lot lately has to do with 2 Cor. 6:14 which is where Paul warns us not to be unequally yoked with non-believers. This passage is used often as proof text not to get involved in a relationship with a non-Christian. Me and another Christian have been arguing whether or not it is a sin issue. I personally think it would be unwise to date a non-Christian, but not necessarily a sin. He is convinced that it is a sin.

My main point of argument is that to be considered yoked, you have to be bound to that other person, and i don't believe dating to be binding.

The reason this whole thing came up is because two friends of mine were split up because she was Christian, and he didn't believe in anything at this point, although he isn't resistant to exposure to the faith. A friend of the girl involved believes it to be a sin issue, and because of that felt justified in going about the process described in Matt. 18:15-17.

What do you guys think?

The most important thing in our Christian life is not the answers we get, but the questions we ask. I know that statement is a little deep, but any time you ask the question "is it a sin" you are asking the wrong question. Only one of two results can come from such a bad question. Either you continue in a sin that will hurt your Christian walk, or you become legalistic (carnal) in your walk with the Lord by practicing legalism for sanctification.

The question might be rephrased, "what is wrong with it." It is still the wrong question. If our focus is on the Lord, we would be asking how we can serve the Lord. Our behavior should be molded by the questions of serving God and righteousness. Our behavior should never bring us away from the question of how can we serve God and righteousness. Once we ask the question "what is wrong with it" I can assume that there is behavior that is wrong. Please think about why you even have to ask the question. Who are you serving, God or self with that question.

What would the purpose of the dating relationship be? What objective our outcome is desired of the relationship? If the relationship is for the purpose of evangelization, I would suggest that the Christian is defrauding the non-Christian by presenting the relationship in terms of romance (dating). A dating relationship is a romantic relationship. I don't see how a Christian, living faithful to the doctrines of the faith, could be in a romantic dating relationship with a non-Christian. As they date, would the Christian never bring up the subject of the gospel? Yes, a couple that is both saved can enjoy their faith together and grow together in the faith as their romance grows. That is dating! How can a Christian and non-Christian grow together in faith and romance? Of course the faith part must be left out. In a romantic dating relationship with a non-believer, you either have defrauding or you must leave your faith behind. There is no other way.

I believe the whole point of dating is to find the person you want to marry and the argument certainly could be made that marrying a non-Christian is a sin. I don't think it is a sin to date someone who is not saved but it certainly is unwise and I would seriously question why a Christian would want to do so.

I agree Free. Honestly i wouldn't be caught dead dating a non-Christian, been there done that, it's no good. But as i stated, a friend wholeheartedly believes it to be a sin, and i don't. So long as you're not bound to a person that isn't of faith you're not yoked with them, not being yoked with them makes you unable to be unequally yoked. Not saying it's a good idea, but in the context of the situation i refer to, the girl isn't being dragged down by the guy she's with, and i personally believe that he's on his way to Christ, he's drawing near as far as i see, and he's a really decent guy.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back