Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Spiritual Starvation.

Tenchi

Psalm 1:1-3
1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.

I saw a recent video online of a dog that was rescued from owner-abuse under which it had suffered for a considerable length of time. Badly neglected, the poor creature was a bag of bones, its skin stretched over a starkly-protruding skeleton. It could not rise to greet its rescuers, or even properly wag its tail, so weakened was it. Months passed before it returned to full strength and was able to bound about, barking, and chasing balls. What a difference between the sickly, immobile and forlorn animal the rescuers found and the leaping, playful canine it became when it was properly fed and watered!

I've met many Christians who are, spiritually-speaking, a lot like this dog when it was first found by its rescuers, desperately weak and unmoving. In their walk with God, they are entirely stationary, remaining unchanged in their desires, thinking and character though they've claimed to be following Christ for decades. They know nothing more of God personally than they knew when they first came to faith in Christ, a personal history of His work in them non-existent. As well, they are desperately weak spiritually, their lives full of compromises - big and small - with the World, their own flesh, and the devil. Awfully, they don't see most of the compromises they're making every day, blinded and hardened as they are by the sin they've allowed to overtake them. They've been spiritually "sick" for a long time and they've become used to such a condition.

How have they come to be in such a miserable state-of-affairs? Typically, there are a complex of things working together to produce such living, but always a neglect of God's word is a major contributing factor. Because the Bible, God's Truth, is so absolutely necessary to the born-again believer's spiritual well-being, the devil works very hard to diminish its importance in their thinking. He offers distractions of all sorts, bottomless pits of entertainment, hobbies, "life-goals," relationships, and various fleshly desires that turn aside many Christians from study of, and conformity to, God's word. As this goes on, the devil cheers, for he knows that such neglect of Scripture will leave the Christian person spiritually-starved and impotent and thus an easy target for his predations. (1 Peter 5:8; John 10:10)

How does the Christian person justify constant neglect of God's word, satisfied with meager crumbs of truth gleaned from a "milky," chicken-soup-for-the-soul devotional, when God is so clear about the vital character of His word?:

Matthew 4:4
4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'"

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped unto all good works.

Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

1 Peter 2:2
2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that you may grow thereby:

Proverbs 3:1-4
1 My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments;
2 For length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.
3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man.

Matthew 22:29
29 But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.

And so on.

Scripture is the born-again believer's spiritual "sword" (Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12); it is their spiritually-nourishing "bread"; it is a guiding light through life; it is essential to the believer's spiritual growth. When neglected, the result, then, must be spiritual defenselessness, starvation, blindness, and immaturity. This has been illustrated in my own life and in the lives of many frustrated, spiritually-juvenile believers I've had the privilege of discipling over the years. If you want an impotent, stumbling, static walk with God, simply disregard His word.

What, exactly, ought the Christian person do with God's word? Well, there are three basic things: Meditate upon, memorize, and manifest it.

1.) Meditate.

Psalm 119:97
97 O how love I your law! It is my meditation all the day.
(See also: Psalms 1, Philippians 3:8).

Meditation of God's word means eking out every bit of spiritual nourishment that can be had from it, like a cow chewing its cud over and over. This is accomplished through regular, prolonged study and contemplation of Scripture. A Bible Lexicon (dictionary), concordance, several trusted Scripture commentaries, perhaps even a few interlinear versions of the Bible, are very helpful aids in such study. A good basic grasp on logic and sound reasoning is also necessary, as is a knowledge of proper interpretive hermeneutics. Above all, a holy, humble, submissive walk with God must serve as the context within which such study occurs; for only in the midst of such a walk can the Spirit work to illuminate the believer to divine, eternal Truth. (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:10-12)

When meditating, examine carefully the meaning of words and phrases, not just by looking at the root meaning of words (for words change in their meaning over time), but at their common usage at the time of their writing in Scripture, how the original recipients of a particular portion of Scripture would have understood it, at the immediate context of a word, phrase, verse or passage, and in consideration of the whole counsel of God's word as it pertains to what is being studied. Above all, give God protected time and space to direct your mind and heart into His Truth.

Continued below.

2.) Memorize.

Psalm 119:11
11 Your word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

King David drew a direct connection between his memorization of Scripture and his capacity to resist sin. I have observed in my own life and in the lives of the men I've discipled over the years this correlation between the two things. A man with a poor grasp of Scripture, who has neglected to "write God's truth on the fleshy tablet of his heart" by memorization, is always a man often overcome by sin. Every sin rests upon a lie (or lies). God's prescription for dealing with these lies is the light of His Truth revealed in His word, the Bible. He intends we should cut and pierce the lies that bring us into sin with our "sword of the Spirit," but those lies don't only confront us when we've got a Bible, our "sword" at hand. No, we can be tempted to sin when we're driving our car, or taking a shower, or lying in bed about to fall asleep, or chatting with friends over coffee, or out fishing with a friend, or mowing the lawn. But the man (or woman) who has memorized God's word is able to bring it immediately to bear upon any lie that confronts him at any time, exposing it and cutting it down and thus rendering it impotent to provoke him into sin.

In this matter of memorization, I find Christians are the most careless. Most of the believers I know have only the vaguest idea of what the Bible says and where in its pages a particular truth is located. Even if they had a Bible handy, it would take them several minutes to find a verse or passage that confronted whatever lie was tempting them - if they even recognized the lie as such. This is, perhaps, the biggest danger resulting from neglect of God's word: The Christian does not recognize falsehood and sin when they appear because the Christian doesn't have a handle on God's truth sufficient to produce such recognition!

3.) Manifest.

James 1:22-25
22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.
23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror;
24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was.
25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

The Christian person who studies and memorizes Scripture but does not live in accord with it, who does not manifest God's truth in their living, has seriously misunderstood what their study and memorization of God's word is for. Partly, this has to do with not allowing God's word to look into them when they look into it. It's not unusual for study of God's word to become merely academic, compartmentalized, separated from one's practical living. But doing so is habit-forming, in time cutting off the believer from the transformative, guiding, comforting effects of Scripture. What an enormous tragedy to know the word of God but to have made oneself inured to its mind-renewing power! And how darkly God looks upon those who treat His word this way.

Titus 1:16
16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Matthew 23:1-3
1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses;
3 therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do
them.

Romans 2:17-24
17 But if you bear the name "Jew" and rely upon the Law and boast in God,
18 and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law,
19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,
20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth,
21 you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that one shall not steal, do you steal?
22 You who say that one should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
23 You who boast in the Law, through your breaking the Law, do you dishonor God?
24 For "THE NAME OF GOD IS BLASPHEMED AMONG THE GENTILES BECAUSE OF YOU," just as it is written.

So, fellow believer, don't be the starved, sickly dog spiritually, a perennial "babe in Christ." God has an abundant life for you in Jesus but that life is inextricably bound to knowing, maturing and living in God's Truth, revealed to you in His word. Meditate upon, memorize and manifest the Truth!

Jeremiah 15:16
16 Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.

Last edited:
Back