Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Splish Splash! I Don't Know if It Was Saturday Night

Josef

Hey All,
Read this passage from Matthew 14 and I will set up a discussion afterwards:

Matthew 14:27-31 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

You have to give Peter his due. All of the disciples were afraid. Peter does not know for sure who it was walking towards them. When Jesus tells them "it's me; don't be afraid," Peter still has his doubts. He makes a request, probably before he had time to think about what he asked. "If its you (Jesus), let me walk to you." Most of us know the rest of the account--Peter walks on the water, takes his concentration off the Lord, sinks, and cries for Jesus to save him. (Do you think the other disciples were laughing at Peter? You know they ribbed him about it later. Its what guys do.)
Peter often gets bashed here for letting the circumstances of life interfere with his walk as a believer. (Even Jesus asked him why he doubted.) And that becomes the focus of a sermon.
However, I believe we need to give Peter way more credit. In a raging storm, on choppy waters, in a relatively safe boat, some dude our there says "its me, come."
This is where Peter gets his due from me. He got out of the boat! He is the only one of the twelve to do it. Peter had guts.
This is not a parable. It is a real life historical event.
What can we learn from this account?
Was Peter a believer at this point?
Peter took focus off the Lord and it got him in "deep" trouble. (Gee that could never happen in real life.) Actually, does that sound familiar?
How did he resolve the situation?
Any answers?
Keep walking everybody. May G
od bless,
Taz

(Do you think the other disciples were laughing at Peter? You know they ribbed him about it later. Its what guys do.)
If they did laugh or rib him all Peter had to say was this , " Why weren't you with me on the water walking toward Jesus ?"
What can we learn from this account?
We should focus our attention on our Redeemer even when the forces of this world come against us . Don't loose faith .
Was Peter a believer at this point?
From the time his hand let go of the net .
Matthew 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
Peter took focus off the Lord and it got him in "deep" trouble. (Gee that could never happen in real life.) Actually, does that sound familiar?
How did he resolve the situation?
Yes , I have cried for the Lord to save me (more than once) just as Peter did .

Back