Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Christian views of US Founding Fathers and Early American Statesmen.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Was interesting to read this: https://wallbuilders.com/founding-fathers-jesus-christianity-bible/ Thoughts on it?

Some say most of America's founders or early leaders were mostly deists or at best non-devout or unorthodox Christians, but the below seems fairly devout, orthodox and traditional Christian to me, not deist: "The Founding Fathers on Jesus, Christianity and the Bible

A Few Declarations of Founding Fathers and Early Statesmen on Jesus, Christianity, and the Bible

(This list is by no means exhaustive; many other Founders could be included,
and even with those who appear below, additional quotes could have been used.)
John Adams

SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; JUDGE; DIPLOMAT; ONE OF TWO SIGNERS
OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; SECOND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.1
Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.2
The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.3
Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!4
I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.5
John Quincy Adams

SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES; DIPLOMAT; SECRETARY OF STATE; U. S. SENATOR;
U. S. REPRESENTATIVE; “OLD MAN ELOQUENT”; “HELL-HOUND OF ABOLITION”My hopes of a future life are all founded upon the Gospel of Christ and I cannot cavil or quibble away [evade or object to]. . . . the whole tenor of His conduct by which He sometimes positively asserted and at others countenances [permits] His disciples in asserting that He was God.6

The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the Divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth. Never since the foundation of the world have the prospects of mankind been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made “bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God” [Isaiah 52:10].7
In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.8

Samuel AdamsSIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; “FATHER OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION”; RATIFIER OF THE U. S. CONSTITUTION; GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETTSI . . . [rely] upon the merits of Jesus Christ for a pardon of all my sins.9

The name of the Lord (says the Scripture) is a strong tower; thither the righteous flee and are safe [Proverbs 18:10]. Let us secure His favor and He will lead us through the journey of this life and at length receive us to a better.10
I conceive we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world . . . that the confusions that are and have been among the nations may be overruled by the promoting and speedily bringing in the holy and happy period when the kingdoms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and the people willingly bow to the scepter of Him who is the Prince of Peace.11
He also called on the State of Massachusetts to pray that . . .
  • the peaceful and glorious reign of our Divine Redeemer may be known and enjoyed throughout the whole family of mankind.12
  • we may with one heart and voice humbly implore His gracious and free pardon through Jesus Christ, supplicating His Divine aid . . . [and] above all to cause the religion of Jesus Christ, in its true spirit, to spread far and wide till the whole earth shall be filled with His glory.13
  • with true contrition of heart to confess their sins to God and implore forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ our Savior.14
Josiah Bartlett

MILITARY OFFICER; SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE;
JUDGE; GOVERNOR OF NEW HAMPSHIRECalled on the people of New Hampshire . . .
to confess before God their aggravated transgressions and to implore His pardon and forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ . . . [t]hat the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be made known to all nations, pure and undefiled religion universally prevail, and the earth be fill with the glory of the Lord.15

Gunning BedfordMILITARY OFFICER; MEMBER OF THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS;
SIGNER OF THE CONSTITUTION; FEDERAL JUDGETo the triune God – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost – be ascribed all honor and dominion, forevermore – Amen.16

Elias BoudinotPRESIDENT OF CONGRESS; SIGNED THE PEACE TREATY TO END THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION; FIRST ATTORNEY ADMITTED TO THE U. S. SUPREME COURT BAR; FRAMER OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; DIRECTOR OF THE U. S. MINTLet us enter on this important business under the idea that we are Christians on whom the eyes of the world are now turned… [L]et us earnestly call and beseech Him, for Christ’s sake, to preside in our councils. . . . We can only depend on the all powerful influence of the Spirit of God, Whose Divine aid and assistance it becomes us as a Christian people most devoutly to implore. Therefore I move that some minister of the Gospel be requested to attend this Congress every morning . . . in order to open the meeting with prayer.17

A letter to his daughter:
You have been instructed from your childhood in the knowledge of your lost state by nature – the absolute necessity of a change of heart and an entire renovation of soul to the image of Jesus Christ – of salvation through His meritorious righteousness only – and the indispensable necessity of personal holiness without which no man shall see the Lord [Hebrews 12:14]. You are well acquainted that the most perfect and consummate doctrinal knowledge is of no avail without it operates on and sincerely affects the heart, changes the practice, and totally influences the will – and that without the almighty power of the Spirit of God enlightening your mind, subduing your will, and continually drawing you to Himself, you can do nothing. . . . And may the God of your parents (for many generations past) seal instruction to your soul and lead you to Himself through the blood of His too greatly despised Son, Who notwithstanding, is still reclaiming the world to God through that blood, not imputing to them their sins. To Him be glory forever!18
For nearly half a century have I anxiously and critically studied that invaluable treasure [the Bible]; and I still scarcely ever take it up that I do not find something new – that I do not receive some valuable addition to my stock of knowledge or perceive some instructive fact never observed before. In short, were you to ask me to recommend the most valuable book in the world, I should fix on the Bible as the most instructive both to the wise and ignorant. Were you to ask me for one affording the most rational and pleasing entertainment to the inquiring mind, I should repeat, it is the Bible; and should you renew the inquiry for the best philosophy or the most interesting history, I should still urge you to look into your Bible. I would make it, in short, the Alpha and Omega of knowledge.19 ...

Hi Nishant_Loves_Jesus

Is there some reason that the 'christian' view would be any different than the truth? Why don't you present us with just the truth of the founding fathers of our nation?

God bless,
Ted

It is most likely that the founding fathers were of mixed background in faith. I recently learned that "Maryland" was so named after the Virgin Mary which clearly indicates Catholics were there and in some prominence as well as protestants. But truthfully, they were likely as people are today, some this and some that. The masonic layout of Washington DC is clearly not of Christian origin.

There is an awful lot of misrepresentation of what the Founders were .... these days ...
I remember laughing at first when told that PHD's are required to write an article at least once or twice a year. I asked "Whether there is any truth or not in the writing?" As Engineers , we were required to sit through this mess at conferences.....Imagine, people that can't present, can't speak and frankly boring as can be, reciting trash just to satisfy a membership requirement. Then there is a surprise presentation involving time travel and other occurances that resemble a combination of Star Trek and the Twilight Zone combined .....

Of all the history of George Washington, I found one claim by a History Professor in a northeast college, claiming that Washinton was a Diest .......That claim comes from one lone source. Washington's Pastor claimed that George never took communion, therefore he must be a Diest. Washington created the Pastor Corps and demanded that all troops attend church on Sunday. No profanity in the ranks ....His personal Bible was written on every page ..... not one word aganist Christ or God .....unlike Thomas Jefferson's attempt to create his own Bible ...George awakened at the same time every morning, ate his favorite breakfast corn cakes ...Like a pancake made of corn ....then spent two hours alone meditating , reading his Bible and praying ......hardly the works of the Diest ....

There is an awful lot of misrepresentation of what the Founders were .... these days ...
I remember laughing at first when told that PHD's are required to write an article at least once or twice a year. I asked "Whether there is any truth or not in the writing?" As Engineers , we were required to sit through this mess at conferences.....Imagine, people that can't present, can't speak and frankly boring as can be, reciting trash just to satisfy a membership requirement. Then there is a surprise presentation involving time travel and other occurances that resemble a combination of Star Trek and the Twilight Zone combined .....

Of all the history of George Washington, I found one claim by a History Professor in a northeast college, claiming that Washinton was a Diest .......That claim comes from one lone source. Washington's Pastor claimed that George never took communion, therefore he must be a Diest. Washington created the Pastor Corps and demanded that all troops attend church on Sunday. No profanity in the ranks ....His personal Bible was written on every page ..... not one word aganist Christ or God .....unlike Thomas Jefferson's attempt to create his own Bible ...George awakened at the same time every morning, ate his favorite breakfast corn cakes ...Like a pancake made of corn ....then spent two hours alone meditating , reading his Bible and praying ......hardly the works of the Diest ....
A subject I haven't really studied heavily as I do with local stories .I dig and at times I find it wrong but usually a good source will set me right.

Locally that's been on a few old buildings history and the who built them and names .

Hi Nishant_Loves_Jesus

In reading over your supplied list, I must assume that it is not exhaustive. You list 4 people who have served early in the governing of the U.S. While I support the position that there were surely many 'christians' that were a part of our national establishment, I'm not sure that 2 out of 56 signatories of the Declaration of Independence, makes a solid argument for the case that our nation was founded by christian men.

It's actually much like the truth that Pres. Obama said about our nation. "We are no longer 'just' a christian nation." That's true today and it was true the day that Pres. Obam said it and it has been true since the inception of our nation. We live in a nation where christians also live, but we are nowhere near being a christian nation. I've read the book!!!

God bless,
Ted

Hi Nishant_Loves_Jesus

In reading over your supplied list, I must assume that it is not exhaustive. You list 4 people who have served early in the governing of the U.S. While I support the position that there were surely many 'christians' that were a part of our national establishment, I'm not sure that 2 out of 56 signatories of the Declaration of Independence, makes a solid argument for the case that our nation was founded by christian men.

It's actually much like the truth that Pres. Obama said about our nation. "We are no longer 'just' a christian nation." That's true today and it was true the day that Pres. Obam said it and it has been true since the inception of our nation. We live in a nation where christians also live, but we are nowhere near being a christian nation. I've read the book!!!

God bless,
Ted
You can easily see that religion was a determining factor in the creation of the Constitution. Immediately, the addition of the ten bill of rights dictates the signers felt religious liberty was a requirement. If the majority of that bodywas nnot driven by the belief ....the right would not have been considered. No one produced a biography of each signer ...there was no requirement concerning a resume .....unless these guys were writing daily ....it's a guess....Most likely, since most would have learned to read from a Bible .....lean toward Christians in every case. As late as Lincolnpeople were learning to read from the only book they had at their disposal.

Of the 56 men who signed the Declaration, the great majority, perhaps all, identified themselves as Christians, and all but one were Protestants. Four were either present or former ministers, and a number of the signers were the sons of clergy. At least half of them had studied “divinity” at their various universities. The denominations breakdown runs as follows: 32 of the signers, well over half, were Episcopalians, or Anglicans, the old state Church of England. There were 13 Congregationalists, 12 were Presbyterians. There were two Quakers, two Unitarians, and one Roman Catholic.

Back