Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The existence of evil

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

sideshowchad

I concider myself agnostic. There were many reasons for me leaving the faith but one of the biggest ones is the existence of evil. I heard this qoute (and I'll probably not get it exact) but I was wondering if I could get a Christian Response on it.

It's about Why God allows evil and here's my attempt at qouting from memory

If God is willing but not able, than he is not omnipotent
If God is able but not willing, than he is malevolent
If God is both willing and able, than why is there evil
If God is neither willing nor able, than why do we call him God?

Basically its arguing that no matter what reason you give for the existence of evil (because adam sinned, because he doesn't want robots, etc...) an all powerful God should be able to come up with a system where children and innocent people don't suffer. So either he is unable to remove evil or doesn't care enough about his peoples suffering to end it.

sideshowchad said:
I concider myself agnostic. There were many reasons for me leaving the faith but one of the biggest ones is the existence of evil. I heard this qoute (and I'll probably not get it exact) but I was wondering if I could get a Christian Response on it.

It's about Why God allows evil and here's my attempt at qouting from memory

If God is willing but not able, than he is not omnipotent
If God is able but not willing, than he is malevolent
If God is both willing and able, than why is there evil
If God is neither willing nor able, than why do we call him God?

Basically its arguing that no matter what reason you give for the existence of evil (because adam sinned, because he doesn't want robots, etc...) an all powerful God should be able to come up with a system where children and innocent people don't suffer. So either he is unable to remove evil or doesn't care enough about his peoples suffering to end it.
Evil duped Adam and Eve, and God had already planned an escape route through His Son Jesus Christ. Evil was defeated on the day that Jesus Christ was crucified, and the only time that anyone has to put up with evil is for the short amount of time that one is on this earth. That might be for 10 minutes or that might be for 18 years or that might be for 80 years or that might be for 120 years, but the rest of a believer's life will be without evil for the rest of eternity. All of the sorrow and evil that one faces on this earth will disappear at the joy in the abundance that God has in store for us.

sideshowchad said:

God gave Adam what he chose. Adam experienced only God’s will which is everything good, and he wanted to know what the opposite of God’s will would feel like. He wanted to be able to compare good and evil by his own experience of it, not just from God telling him it was wrong/sin/evil/yukky/poo-poo/nasty. God allowed it because he wanted us to know that his will is the only way of good, the only option that we should want. When we leave this earth, we will have no excuse not to hate evil. We will have experienced it and tasted it and been victimized by it and seen it’s ugly head. Either we will embrace it and become part of it or we will hate it and become part of God.

As Solo expressed, our suffering here is limited. It’s like the emergency warning broadcast system. This is a test. It is only a test. If it had been actual suffering, it would last for eternity and we would call it 'hell.'
:o

Back