Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE LETTER M

THE LETTER M

PSALM 119

15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.

Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.

When we think of the word meditate or meditation, it has a picture of some eastern mystic babbling some crazy words, but this is not what true meditation is.

It means to mull over or think deeply about something, in Colossians chapter 3, we have these words:

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

To dwell with us, means it lives deeply within our hearts, it is a welcome guest in our lives and meditating on the word of God, allows us to have a spirit that is filled with wisdom and worship. Look at verse 16.

When we read our bibles, we are not to read it, just to turn the required number of pages on our bible reading scheme, we are to meditate on particular verses. Recently I took ten days to read John chapters 1-3, because it is so deep, you cannot go too fast.

Joshua was given sound advice by the Lord, as he entered the promised land.

Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Meditate on it day and night you say, we can't do that. Well what is the job of the holy spirit, he will bring you remembrance of these things, of what things, of the things of Christ.
Often he brings to my mind a verse of scripture, a promise, a challenge or a rebuke.
Paul is giving pastoral advice to his protege Timothy, in Chapter 4 of his first epistle, he says:
11 These things command and teach.
12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
Paul was telling Timothy to meditate on these things, especially to doctrine, we all want to be so practical, have you ever meditated on deep doctrines such as the Deity of Christ and the Trinity.
Again to meditate, we must take time to do this, put down your cell phone, turn off social media and do a bible study. Find a quiet place, get out your bible and drink deeply of the word od God.
One of my favourite things to do is to get my bible and notebook and say Lord, what do you have to say to me.
God's wants and is eager to speak, but we have to set aside time for him to do it, remember he spoke to Elijah in the still small voice,
Can you hear him?
Have you taken time to meditate on his word?
We need to stop rushing away from God's word, we treat it like a hot potato sometimes, as soon as we pick it up, we want to put it down.
By meditating on his precious, this is how we grow.
I challenge you.
Take 15 minutes each week to meditate on a bible verse or couple of verses.
Let these verse dwell or live in your heart.
Make them welcome.

God bless you

KK

Back