Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The name of the Antichrist is :Adonikam"

Alfred Persson

Free Will Reformed Baptist
2024 Supporter
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:18 KJV)

John's 666 riddle is a well known (to ancient Hebrew readers) parallelism that appears often in the OT. It was "rediscovered" by
CH Gordon who first reported on them in New Directions," Bulletin of the American Society of Papyrologists 15 (1978) 59–60

2 Janus Parallelism. This type of parallelism hinges on the use of a single word with two different meanings, one of which forms a parallel with what precedes and the other with what follows. Thus, by virtue of a double entendre, the parallelism faces in both directions. - Berlin, A. Parallelism. In (D. N. Freedman, Ed.)The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. (New York: Doubleday, 1992), 5:155

Adonikam is the pivot word, looking back 666 refers to it, looking forward it requires a calculation to arrive at the name.

John saw the 666 and 667 difference, as a clue he could use to propound a riddle Bible believers would pick up, leaving everyone else in the dark as they employ occult methods to "divine" the name:

John gamely invites all “that hath understanding count the number”. It follows solving the riddle depends on how the text is phrased.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666. (Rev. 13:18 NKJ)

the sons of Adonikam, 666 (Ezr. 2:13 NAS)
the sons of Adonikam, 667 (Neh. 7:18 NAS)

John gives three clues how 666 points to one name.
1) “Calculate the number” (666+1=667 Adonikam).
2) “Number OF a man” (666 sons are “OF” the man Adonikam)
3) “His number is 666” (Only one name Adonikam is associated with the number 666 )

John wasn’t like modern critics, he would consider the difference (666 in Ezra 2:13; 667 in Nehemiah 7:18) in number intentional. Experts in Hebrew Scripture will immediately recognize John’s riddle is a asymmetric Janus Parallelism(Gen. 6:3; 49:26; Cant. 2:12; Ezek. 20:37; Dan. 11:35; Nah. 1:8.)

Adonikam had 666 sons or counting from his father also named Adonikam, 667 sons.

From the “Janus” 666 we look back and “count” (5585 ψηφίζω psephizo) “as with pebbles” 666+1=667 to “Adonikam” as the Beast’s name.

From the “Janus” 666 we look forward, Adonikam had 666 sons, they are “of” him. Again the name Adonikam appears.

“His [Adonikam] number is 666.” The only name in the Bible closely associated with 666 is “Adonikam“.

Therefore, solution to John’s riddle is “Adonikam“.

"Adonikam is the pivot word, looking back 666 refers to it, looking forward it requires a calculation to arrive at the name."

I misspoke, the "Janus" pivot word, is the number 666, NOT ADONIKAM. We look forward (666 is "of" because he begat 666 sons) and backward (666 +1 results in a "count to the name" "Adonikam" his father).

Last edited:
"John wasn’t like modern critics, he would consider the difference (666 in Ezra 2:13; 667 in Nehemiah 7:18) in number intentional"

John knew the holy Scripture is the infallible inerrant Word of God. No doubt God revealed to him the name of the Antichrist is disclosed in scripture, in Ezra and Nehemiah. God the Holy Spirit gave John the "riddle". How do I know? John says "wisdom" is required to understand the riddle, that made scripture indispensable to the solution AND it is God the Holy Spirit who gave us "the Scripture of Truth", making the simple wise:

The wise men are ashamed, They are dismayed and taken. Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD; So what wisdom do they have? (Jer. 8:9 NKJ)

11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. (Isa. 55:11 NKJ)

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJ)

Last edited:
Back