Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[__ Prayer __] the prayer of jabez?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
W

w.coastchoppers

who has done this and is it ok too??for those of u who have has there been any changes??ive heard about this, but is it wrong??thanx,nicole

I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - to reduce our relationahip with God to a list of 'wants' and a formulaic prayer - no thanks.

Jules

My mother prayed the "Prayer of Jabez" a couple years ago and the result for her was a three month Mission tour to Thailand.

wigginsmum said:
I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - to reduce our relationahip with God to a list of 'wants' and a formulaic prayer - no thanks.

Jules

Jules, I don't understand why you would say this prayer reduces your relationship with God to a list of wants? This prayer was given to us by God and if you read it correctly, you're asking God to help you further His kingdom by expanding your territory and by keeping you safe while doing so.
"Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain. And God granted his request." (1Chronicles 4:10 NIV)

The prayer isn't about asking for a new house or car or a million dollars, etc. It's asking God to help you further His kingdom - something that all Christians are commanded to do:
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and taching them to obey everything I have commandd you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20 NIV)

Nicole, go for it. But when you pray this prayer be prepared for anything. God will use you if you want to be used (and we don't really have the luxury of saying - "well I think I will do this but I don't want to do that". If God wants you to do something, He will protect you and He will provide all that is needed.

Because of the Cross,
Brenda

I find the prayer of Jabez to be very honest and inspiring, but I agree it should in no way be our only prayer or something to be merely recited, then the words would lose their meaning.

If there was one perfect prayer that had an advantage over the others, I think He would have said so. But He didn't say "one prayer is better than all the others" as far I can tell. I think it's also important to look at what Jesus said when the disciples asked him how to pray.

Personally I find prayer most effective when we praise him also--talking about what you're thankful for, acknowledging your love for Him as Lord, etc. It's very easy for me to get into a "wish list" or "laundry list" of what I want Him to do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back