Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The ROSE of SHARON ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I Peter 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Ya'll done got in deep symbolism.

Two major things Christ Jesus did:
The thorns appeared with the sin of man.
The redemption beauty appears among the sorrows (thorns) / rose. Man of sorrows Isaiah 53

The Lilly is a member of the Aloe Vera plant family. Healing is associated with Aloe. The beauty of Aloe is more in healing than in what it looks like.

Mississippi folks are simple minded and struggle with all this.

When Jesus arose, do we smell the gifts the wise men brought for his buriel. Was Israel temporarily gone to be pleaded for her return? Did the Gentile bride qualify?

Deep deep.

eddif

No. 784 Delivered on December 8th, 1867, by C. H. Spurgeon, at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." -Song of Solomon 2:1.
Dear Brother turnorburn, thank you for your input. As you’re aware, the conversation between Solomon and his LOVE switched back and forth such as these following scriptures. I love a lot of what Brother Spurgeon preached, but can you direct me to absolute sureness that it was Solomon referring to him as a rose and lilly?

The Shulamite says:
Son 1:16 Behold, thou
art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.
Son 1:17 The beams of our house
are cedar, and our rafters of fir.
Son 2:1 I
am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

Solomon replies:
Son 2:2 As the lily among thorns, so
is my LOVE among the daughters. (This is not Solomon’s love for the daughters, but LOVE is his pet name for the Shulamite as it were.)

The Shulamite says:
Son 2:3 As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so
is my BELOVED among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
Son 2:4 He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me
was love.

The two most common names used by Solomon and the Shulamite below:
Son 2:10 My
BELOVED spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my LOVE, my fair one, and come away.

When Jesus arose, do we smell the gifts the wise men brought for his buriel. Was Israel temporarily gone to be pleaded for her return? Did the Gentile bride qualify?
Good question in my opinion Brother eddif. My thought on this is:
Act 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

I Peter 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Ya'll done got in deep symbolism.

Two major things Christ Jesus did:
The thorns appeared with the sin of man.
The redemption beauty appears among the sorrows (thorns) / rose. Man of sorrows Isaiah 53

The Lilly is a member of the Aloe Vera plant family. Healing is associated with Aloe. The beauty of Aloe is more in healing than in what it looks like.

Mississippi folks are simple minded and struggle with all this.

Deep deep.

eddif

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I and others I have been with in sincere open seeking prayer and worship have smelled the beautiful aroma of rose from His Presence. I can still smell it years later in my memory, vivid as the day, refreshing.

Brother smaller, I have no idea your thoughts of the law as pertaining to the child of God in this scripture.

The law is the deepest subject in the scriptures. Not easy territory. I spent 10 long years trying to harmonize law and grace and drew from every source of learned believers I could draw from or lay my hands on. God in Christ finally answered my prayers by sending the right believers my way with the critical components I was missing and in need of that settled every question I had. I am very thankful for Gods Working in His Body of people. It is Divinely Dynamic, when needed.
James is speaking of faith, and our testimony before men. He that does these things has a dead faith (Not saying they are going to hell) and cast into the fire by men; not our Savior Jesus.

I happen to love Gods Law(s). But I also understand they do not favor my flesh and my flesh is not at all fond of hearing of it.

Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

I can fully assure you that the "evil present" with Paul (or with any person) was/is condemned under the law, without a single remedy available to Paul or anyone else. Which is precisely what pushed Paul headlong into Grace Alone through faith in Christ that works by/through Love. And the Law upholds that same sight. Romans 3:21. Once you are convinced that the law is rightfully against sin indwelling our own flesh and that there is no dodging the conclusion that on the bad side of the ledgers. Trying to escape that conclusion leads to lopsidedness and leaning only on the "what's in it for me only on the good" side of the ledgers. If you think about it we should expect God in Christ to be and to remain fully against our own evil present. I expect this from God and He has proven to me that it's a fact. Paul never sought to excuse himself from that side of the ledgers. Few appreciate his "self deprecation" scriptures. I happen to be very very fond of that side of Paul's presentations. But most believers hate them and refuse to "eat" them personally, preferring the garb of hypocrisy. I happen to hate that particular robe and refuse to wear it.
Predestined by Jesus’ death, foreknowledge, and foreordination didn’t cause our salvation in its many aspects, we are the result of God’s great love.

In case you never heard it before I believe that everyone who has called upon Jesus to save them IS FOREVER saved and can not be eternally lost. I don't believe this just for myself, but for all who have called regardless of what happens to them after the fact. John 5:24

Did God see something in us we didn’t? and what does this all mean since we are not merely adopted, but actually born of God?

I am very generous with that sight to others based on 1 John 4:7 (particularly as well stated in the NIV.)

People who don't know Jesus are easily and readily introduced to Him with 1 John 4:7. It is my primary witnessing tool and the results are a joy to partake in. (Thank you John the Apostle for that tool!)

I have a study that says “Many people shudder at the very thought of foreordination or predestination, as if the words meant that some could not be saved if they would. Be it ever remembered, that no one desires salvation until God calls him.”

Again, I agree. I think the call can be as broad as the person handling the Word. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy when it comes to actually witnessing the Love of God in Christ. I have a very very small hurdle. As small as I can possibly legitimately see it. I will not succumb to the perils of Matt. 23:13 if I can help it. No gate on heavens door from me to any other person is fine with me. If I'm wrong Jesus can shut it. I won't.

Romans 7:25
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Hidden in the desperately wicked and deceitful heart is the crucification of Jesus that convicts us of sin. (torn from top to bottom).

Hidden in the mind of Christ (Word in mind) we comprehend Jesus seated at the right hand of the Father ever making intercession for us.

Two laws. Both exist. Shall we choose one at the exclusion of the other? Can we handle both laws at one time?

The law used lawfully ( if we confess our sins).

The law of grace in Christ ( he is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse).

Both at one time (during time). When eternity starts again for man, the final change comes.

Two laws - one passing away -- the other headed toward eternity. The stench of flesh and the smell of the rose. One day face to face.

The undone redneck swinging from the chandiller of faith.

eddif

When eternity starts again for man, the final change comes.
Two laws - one passing away -- the other headed toward eternity. The stench of flesh and the smell of the rose. One day face to face.
I loved the thoughts expressed in your post, but I would ask if your "Smell of the Rose" is referring to Jesus, even though it is the bride referring to herself as the rose of Sharon in Son 2:1? :)

I will admit that most of Christianity believes that, and has even written a song promoting it.

I loved the thoughts expressed in your post, but I would ask if your "Smell of the Rose" is referring to Jesus, even though it is the bride referring to herself as the rose of Sharon in Son 2:1? :)

I will admit that most of Christianity believes that, and has even written a song promoting it.
That is complicated to answer.

I do tend toward Jesus as the rose.

Because of the work of Jesus:
The Holy Spirit came
We become aware of personal sin
We understand eternal life, and rejoice in that (what he did).
Any sweet smell from us is: (not I but Christ that dwelleth in us).

The full revelation of this was not understood till word was placed in our (first Jews then Gentiles) heart and minds. Two parts of us not just heart, and not just mind. Usually folks choose heart or mind and ignore the other, and I can not explain all of that yet.

eddif

I Corinthians 9:5 KJV
Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

I was going to use this, but KJV is one of few that uses sister.

In Christ there is neither male nor female.
Thus
If Solomon has a love relationship with his Savior, then he can share with all and put all on an even footing. Jesus is my bridegroom. Jesus is the bridegroom of every believer. Eve came out of Adam.

I think I will shut up. Does he speak of himself or another? Phillip and the eunuch go to the thought.

eddif

I Corinthians 7:29 KJV
But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Symbols are fine. I use them often. But shadow study is not as good as the reality of Jesus; who cast the shadows.

I am beginning to taper off in symbolism. Sounds good, but let us see if I do.

eddif

I Corinthians 9:5 KJV
Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

I was going to use this, but KJV is one of few that uses sister.

In Christ there is neither male nor female.
Thus
If Solomon has a love relationship with his Savior, then he can share with all and put all on an even footing. Jesus is my bridegroom. Jesus is the bridegroom of every believer. Eve came out of Adam.

I think I will shut up. Does he speak of himself or another? Phillip and the eunuch go to the thought.

eddif
Brother eddif, what you are quoting is the relevancy of blessings of our place in the One Seed Jesus.

Gen 22:18 And in thy seed (Jesus) shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back