Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Teaching of Christ concerning forgiveness

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.
“But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
“So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.” Matthew 18:21-35

• Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’

Isn’t it amazing how we read in this story, that the man who owed the king an insurmountable debt was facing being sold into slavery for the rest of his life, not only himself, but his wife and children. What a horrifying situation to be in.

• But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made.

The amazing part is, that the king, who represented God, was moved with compassion by this man’s humility and instead of granting his request for more time to pay the debt, the king actually forgave this man the entire debt.

• Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

However, it seems no sooner than he had been forgiven this debt he could never repay, he turned around and treated a man, who owed his a fraction of what he himself had been forgiven, with contempt and threw him in jail, rather than being merciful with him.

• Pay me what you owe!’ So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt.

To me, this is frightening, especially in the day and time we live in, with the increase in lawlessness, and the love of many growing cold, I know this same foolish attitude could take hold of me as well, if I don’t watch myself against growing prideful and arrogant, forgetting the mountain of debt the Lord has forgiven me of, and treating others in an unforgiving way, as I see the consequences of such foolishness.

• So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

• So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

Reading and meditating on the words of Jesus Christ, is one way I keep His words fresh upon my mind and heart, as I see the days drawing near to His return, when we all stand before His thrown to be Judged according to our deeds.

Heavenly Father,

I pray for your grace and mercy to fill my heart and search me to know my heart if there is any unforgiveness in me towards others. Help to to forgive those who trespass against me, that I may be forgiven.

In Jesus precious Name.

Amen.

Sometimes forgiveness is a hard concept to think on. We live in a cold and unforgiving world, where people lose jobs, lose relationships, lose homes, and in a way are evicted out of each of them. Without knowing the details of most situations that you see this in, all you can do until you're in a simular situation is to be on guard, and think the world is an unforgiving and cold place, ready to spit you out at a moment's notice. To think of God's forgiveness seems so out of place sometime and all it is is a hope to hold to. The world might be cold and spit you out, but God is love, and ready to protect you and forgive you.

Then as you grow you come in contact with the situations where a person loses a job, loses a relationship, or loses their home. And instead of needing the forgiveness yourself, your in a place to hold others to a standard. Like a job performance, being forgiving seems so much easier if you've ever struggled in a simular position, but eventually the struggling person is still expected to move past this and do what's expected of them.

Or you instead of a job performance issue, it's an issue of can't be around someone else. How far do you forgive someone when what you should do is let them go and close the doors so they don't return. A lot of situations and a lot of rationalizations, and some seem more justified then others. Yet the bottom line is do you forgive them, or do you hold them to a standard. Are you patient to a drunk or a druggie, and only helping them get worse because you forgive them and support them? (One extreme). Or do you lose your patience at a moment's notice and are ready to end a friendship over what someone says or supports on Facebook. (The other extreme.) most situations are somewhere inbetween the two extreems of inspiring but worryingly forgiving, and shockingly cold.

Seeing the situations first hand either as the person needing forgiveness, mercy, and grace; or as the person who would hand out forgiveness to others, the concept of forgiveness gets harder. How can God forgive me?

Forgiveness is a process and takes time when you are truly damaged by the misdeed. But in the end it is a gift you give yourself.

Sometimes you need to hold off before forgiving. I kept forgiving my ex-husband for beating me and it kept me from leaving to protect myself.

To forgive my mother I had to let go of my anger and explore where it had come from before I forgave her.

Some psychologists are saying you do not have to forgive to heal. They are wrong. Christ was right. We must forgive when it is safe to do so. I forgave my ex husband AFTER I left and was safe.

Small things can be forgiven right away. My most recent husband was Christ-centered and we always forgave each other before we went to bed.

Forgiveness is a process and takes time when you are truly damaged by the misdeed. But in the end it is a gift you give yourself.

Sometimes you need to hold off before forgiving. I kept forgiving my ex-husband for beating me and it kept me from leaving to protect myself.

To forgive my mother I had to let go of my anger and explore where it had come from before I forgave her.

Some psychologists are saying you do not have to forgive to heal. They are wrong. Christ was right. We must forgive when it is safe to do so. I forgave my ex husband AFTER I left and was safe.

Small things can be forgiven right away. My most recent husband was Christ-centered and we always forgave each other before we went to bed.

Thank you for sharing.

A wise person once told me that a sign that you've actually forgiven another from the heart is when you truly wish the best for them.
Sometimes that's a hard place to get to, but nothing is impossible with God.

God does not rejoice with the destruction of the wicked and His desire is for all to be saved. If only we had the heart of our Lord in all situations.

Miriam and the Israelites learned that the hard way. That is why some things are always bitter sweet.

Reactions: JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back