Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Way of Escape: Romans 6.

Tenchi

Sin of any and every kind invites us always to do two things:

1.) Deny who we are in Christ.
2.) Stand in God's place in our lives.

When a Christian sins, they are acting totally contrary to the "new creation" they have become in Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)
17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

Among other things, in Jesus, the born-again person has become:

- A joint-heir with Jesus (Romans 8:17)
- A redeemed, justified and sanctified child of God (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- Co-crucified with Christ and thereby freed from the power of Self and Sin. (Romans 6:1-11)
- Seated with Christ in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6)
- Indwelt by the Holy Spirit in whom they possess all they need to be "godly in Christ Jesus." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Philippians 2:13; Titus 3:5; 1 John 4:13; Ephesians 3:16, etc.)

How, then, is it that most Christians are daily mired in sinful living? Nothing of what God describes of them in His word seems to be evident in how they live every day. Well, this is so, at least in part, because they don't know who they are in Christ and so don't recognize that sin is inviting them to live in denial of their identity in him.

At bottom, though, the Great Battle of Christian living is always over who sits on the throne of one's heart: God or Self. Every sin we commit is an acceptance of the invitation to pursue our own will over God's. Sin is always an act of rebellion toward God, not just eating more than we should, or telling a necessary "white" lie, or an understandable moment of anger when we get cut-off in traffic, or being a bit touchy with our spouse, or whatever. It's all turning from God's will to our own and becoming our own "god." We don't, of course, tend to frame our sin in this way, but construct some justifying lie that we tell ourselves in order to feel better about pushing God off the throne of our hearts.

The apostle Paul understood that sin always extends to us these two basic invitations. And so, when he directly addressed the matter of sin, it was these two invitations that occupied his comments. There is nothing that hinders our walk with God, our full enjoyment of Him, more than sin. When we regard iniquity in our hearts, God will not hear us. (Psalm 66:18); our sins separates us from God so that He will not listen to us (Isaiah 59:2); God's face is against those who do evil (1 Peter 3:12). But, as Paul wrote, there is a "way of escape" from the bondage and destruction of sin and the damaging effect it has on our fellowship with God.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (NASB)
13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

In Romans 6, Paul carefully lays out the "way of escape" from the power of Sin, distilling down the believer's response to every sinful temptation to two steps:

Romans 6:11 (NASB)
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:12-13 (NASB)
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

1.) By faith, count on the fact that you are "dead to sin but alive unto God in Christ Jesus," in the face of sinful temptation stand unmoved upon this truth, declaring to yourself, and believing, that, as a result, "sin shall have no more mastery over you." (Romans 6:14) Sin has no power to compel the born-again person; the child of God always, in Christ, has the freedom to walk away from sinful temptation. What remains is for them to really trust that it is so. Only when they do, will they begin to experience the truth of their death to sin in their practical living.

2.) Present yourself a "living sacrifice unto God" (Romans 12:1) and the members of your body as an "instrument of righteousness to God." Only the believer who humbles him/herself before God is lifted up into the life of power, peace and joy in Christ Jesus. (James 4:6-7; 1 Peter 5:6) There is simply no way to walk with God but as His inferior; He must be God; there is no other dynamic within which He will commune with us except as Shepherd to sheep, Master to servant, Vine to branches, Creator to creature. Until the born-again believer submits to God's will and way, all day, every day, they will remain under the power of the "old man" who is the ultimate source of all their sin. (Romans 6:6)

Who or what is the "old man"? He is who we are apart from God, ruled by our own will and way, a rebel toward God, bound under the power of the World, the Flesh and the devil. (Ephesians 2:1-3; Titus 3:3; Colossians 1:21, Romans 8:5-8, etc.) The "old man" is so incorrigibly selfish, so unable to submit to God, that God had to put him to death with Christ at Calvary. The "old man" can't be remediated, he can't be improved; he must be separated from the born-again person, held impotent on the cross of Christ, as Paul described in Romans 6, Galatians 3:1-3; Colossians 2:10-13; Galatians 5:24, etc.

So long as a believer seeks Self-improvement, neglecting to live by faith in their death to the "old man" and in daily, even moment-by-moment, submission to God, they will remain in a stumbling, unfruitful, and fleshly counterfeit of real, godly living. Rather than a progressively-sanctified life, a life more and more separated in practical, tangible ways from the World, the Flesh and the devil, such believers can only tread the cycle of sin-confession-try-sin-confession-try, never entering into the Promised Land they have in Jesus Christ. But the "way of escape" is always available to any believer who will, by faith and surrender to God, take it. And at the end of this way there is fullness of joy in deep, holy fellowship with God Almighty.

Psalm 16:8-11 (NASB)
8 I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely.
10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

Good introduction and well documented. No disagreement from me. Look at it from context of habitual sinners. First epistle John 2:1. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have a advocate with the father, Jesus christ the righteous: were in the flesh, Christian people sin. We repent sins to God and find forgiveness. Jesus is our advocate. Jesus is the lawyer who defends Christian people. No one has license to sin. 1:8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1:9. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Habitual sinners don't care. A true Christian trys not to sin. But repents when they fall short. Divorce is sin, and forgivable by repentance. If someone is pig, and cheats on their spouse, having sexual relations with other women. This person is a habitual sinner. No one has license to sin. Theirs big difference between habitual sinners and just the sinner. 3:6. Who so ever abides in Him sins not; who so ever sins hath not seen Him, neither known Him. I'm not judging anyone. It's ok to be alcoholic or druggies. It's demonic, of the devil. This is a habitual lifestyle. They don't care. Were talking about habitual sinners. 6;7. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 3:8. He that commits sins is of the devil; You must make a distinction between sinners and habitual sinners. One is children of light. The other walks in darkness. It's a open and shut case.

You must make a distinction between sinners and habitual sinners. One is children of light. The other walks in darkness. It's a open and shut case.

I'm not sure I understand what your point is. I get that those who make a lifestyle of sin and who do so without compunction are not God's children. I understand, too, that Christians aren't perfect. I would say to you, though, that Christians are capable of living with a great deal less sin in their lives, not if they try hard enough to live so, but because, in Christ, they have been made "dead to sin and alive unto God through Jesus Christ." This was one of the primary points of my OP. Living with sin as the exception in one's life rather than the rule is a matter of faith, of believing in what is already true of one who is "in Christ." (Romans 6:11)

In any case, thanks for your comments!

Back