Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Wheel of Life

netchaplain

I do not choose to believe that God, for no known reason, chooses some to salvation and not others, for any reason! The definite supposition is that God cannot be “prejudice,” He would be a “respecter of persons” if He also saved the unbelievers He would be breaking His own law for them, which is reject God and perish - Luk 20:21; Act 10:34; Rom 2:11; Gal 2:6; Eph 6:9; Col 3:25; 1Pe 1:17. Therefore it’s my belief that God only chooses those whom He knows are going to choose Him. When the Potter is working the clay He already knows who will or will not choose to be saved (God’s omniscient).

I believe this answers to the “vessels of destruction” and “vessels of mercy” (Rom 9:22, 23). For God to be fair, He cannot bestow mercy on vessels of destruction. People must want God of their own volition, then He “draws” them (Jhn 6:44), otherwise it wouldn’t be fair. If He was the One to cause one to desire Himself, everyone would be saved, because He would cause everyone to desire Him. Christ chooses us first, because we didn’t know we would be choosing Him; but He knew we would choose Him! Of course a bit difficult to explain, but this is what I’ve believed for 50 years now.
NC

The Wheel of Life

Our Father was pleased to create a world, and set it revolving in space amongst the countless orbs which shine in the heavens around us. He was pleased to allow sin and death to enter that fair scene (so that Adam and Eve could become aware of what sin is, of which they were unaware, until “the eyes of them both were opened“ - Gen 3:7, which I believe allowed them to become aware of God’s holiness—NC). Who can “reply”? He was pleased to choose and to call a people out of the world, and to permit them to destroy themselves (my opinion is that “destroy” is in the sense of dishonoring themselves as those who “willfully sin” do - Heb 10:26—NC), while He, with longsuffering, bore with them “till there was no remedy” (2Ch 36:16).

He was pleased to send His Son to “endure the Cross” (Heb 12:2) and bear His wrath against sin (of course the “wrath” was on the sin and not on Christ—NC). Who was before Him in all this? Not one! In all things He wrought: He permitted; He ordered; and it is He who challenges the stubborn heart which would say, “Why doth He yet find fault? For who hath resisted His will?” It is He who designs to stoop to the reply, “Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, “Why hast thou made me thus”? (Ro 9:19-21).

Have we ever stood in the potter’s house, and beheld him, as he wrought on the wheel? The workman takes the lump of clay; he presses it to the wheel; the wheel revolves before the eye. Now where, let me ask, is the vessel? It is in the mind of the potter, before it is formed: the design is there. His fingers shape the mass before him: gradually it grows up before his eye; gradually the thought of his mind is transferred to the clay, and it rises up before him, and the thoughts hitherto unexpressed, grow into the vessel which his fingers mold.

He sees a flaw; an imperfection in the clay. Others, beholding, have not detected it, as with the artist’s eye. He crushes the clay under his hand into a shapeless mass again. Once more his fingers mold and fashion it into his design. Again and again defects appear. Again and again the clay is reduced to a shapeless mass, until at last it rises in perfection of design before him; his eye surveys it with satisfaction and pride; and he removes it from the wheel to take its place with the choice things of the earth around (this represents the Christian—NC).

This is the history of the growing believer (God shaping only believers “to desire and do His good pleasure” - Phl 2:13—NC). The clay is in the Potter’s hand. His fingers fashion it, and it begins marred; the clay needs more of His patient manipulation and skill. It is not yet smooth and even pliable to His hand. He crushes it time after time (i.e. trial after trial—NC). The perfect vessel stood before His mind and purpose before His hand had taken the clay, and placed it on the wheel of life (unbelievers are purposed to perish, and believers are purposed to salvation—NC). But when all is done, He has transferred His thought and purpose with unerring skill to the clay; the Potter is now seen in His handiwork; and it is a vessel of mercy, which He afore has prepared for glory.

How important, as these trials take place, is the need of interpretation of these skillful workings of the hands of the Potter! How often are the lessons misunderstood (never have been many mature believers—NC); or not apprehended at all (which has nothing to do with being saved but for growth—NC)! In the history of souls in the Word these actions are seen, the results are reached. In them we read the history of His dealings with our own souls, and the handiwork of our Father. We look then for the lines of beauty resulting from His hand; we yield ourselves to the things which happen; we see the end of the Lord (how it is with Christ—NC): we know how it is that “all things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose: (Ro 8:28).

— Frederick George Patterson (1832-1887)

MJS daily devotional excerpt for June 25

““Covenant theology, which has molded the major theological conceptions for many generations, recognizes no distinctions as to ages, therefore can allow for no distinctions between law and grace. This dominating attitude of Covenantism must account for the utter neglect of life truth (growth) in all their works of theology (presently God doesn't even have a Covenant with His people Israel, but will latter renew a permanent covenant with them; which will still be Law (Jer 31:31; Eze 36:26, 27).

“No more representative theological dictum from the Covenant viewpoint has been formed than the Westminster Confession of Faith, which valuable and important document recognizes life truth only to the point of imposing the Ten Commandments on Christians as their sole obligation, and in spite of the teachings of the New Testament which asserts that the Law was never given to Gentile or Christian.”
- Lewis Sperry Chafer (1871-1952)

Note: Christians have no covenant with God, but rather are recipients of the “Covenant of Redemption” (Heb 13:20, 21), which is a covenant between the Father and the Son, in that the Father raised His Son from death after being the sacrifice for mankind. Nowhere is there any given Scripture with language that expresses a Covenant with Christians, only a declaration of Christ’s pledge to save believers (Mat 26:28).

For whatever reason, God seems a bit secretive concerning the particulars of this Covenant (the same concerning Israel’s eschatology), as it is not openly clear that it is between Him and His Son (but much Scripturally inferred); but not secretive about the availability of its import to mankind. How much love to those who are His, and how much better a covenant that can’t ever be broken?—Amen. God’s love to all who love Him!
NC

I agree with you that God does not elect any to ultimate damnation, or overlook any who can live eternally with him. I’d go further, and suggest that even those who will live with him eternally need not be called in this life, as if Sinai/Golgotha were made to be entry points to postmortem life. I posit both to have been given as addons, blessings of intimacy (based on knowledge) in mortal life, entry points to covenant relationship.

PS on covenant, covenant cannot be broken. It can be violated by the vassal. It can be annulled by the suzerain (https://archive.org/details/the-words-gone-global-exploring-bible-versions-2017-231024 p147). But as you imply, the new covenant will never be annulled. It is, after all, tied to the new creation, and to the Last/Eschatos Adam. I’d agree that there are not individual Christian covenants, but that all Christians are in the Christian covenant. Likewise Christ is not a husband to individual wives, but is metaphorically the husband to one wife, in which image all Christians dwell.

I do not choose to believe that God, for no known reason, chooses some to salvation and not others, for any reason! The definite supposition is that God cannot be “prejudice,” He would be a “respecter of persons” if He also saved the unbelievers He would be breaking His own law for them, which is reject God and perish - Luk 20:21; Act 10:34; Rom 2:11; Gal 2:6; Eph 6:9; Col 3:25; 1Pe 1:17. Therefore it’s my belief that God only chooses those whom He knows are going to choose Him. When the Potter is working the clay He already knows who will or will not choose to be saved (God’s omniscient).

I believe this answers to the “vessels of destruction” and “vessels of mercy” (Rom 9:22, 23). For God to be fair, He cannot bestow mercy on vessels of destruction. People must want God of their own volition, then He “draws” them (Jhn 6:44), otherwise it wouldn’t be fair. If He was the One to cause one to desire Himself, everyone would be saved, because He would cause everyone to desire Him. Christ chooses us first, because we didn’t know we would be choosing Him; but He knew we would choose Him! Of course a bit difficult to explain, but this is what I’ve believed for 50 years now.
NC

The Wheel of Life

Our Father was pleased to create a world, and set it revolving in space amongst the countless orbs which shine in the heavens around us. He was pleased to allow sin and death to enter that fair scene (so that Adam and Eve could become aware of what sin is, of which they were unaware, until “the eyes of them both were opened“ - Gen 3:7, which I believe allowed them to become aware of God’s holiness—NC). Who can “reply”? He was pleased to choose and to call a people out of the world, and to permit them to destroy themselves (my opinion is that “destroy” is in the sense of dishonoring themselves as those who “willfully sin” do - Heb 10:26—NC), while He, with longsuffering, bore with them “till there was no remedy” (2Ch 36:16).

He was pleased to send His Son to “endure the Cross” (Heb 12:2) and bear His wrath against sin (of course the “wrath” was on the sin and not on Christ—NC). Who was before Him in all this? Not one! In all things He wrought: He permitted; He ordered; and it is He who challenges the stubborn heart which would say, “Why doth He yet find fault? For who hath resisted His will?” It is He who designs to stoop to the reply, “Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, “Why hast thou made me thus”? (Ro 9:19-21).

Have we ever stood in the potter’s house, and beheld him, as he wrought on the wheel? The workman takes the lump of clay; he presses it to the wheel; the wheel revolves before the eye. Now where, let me ask, is the vessel? It is in the mind of the potter, before it is formed: the design is there. His fingers shape the mass before him: gradually it grows up before his eye; gradually the thought of his mind is transferred to the clay, and it rises up before him, and the thoughts hitherto unexpressed, grow into the vessel which his fingers mold.

He sees a flaw; an imperfection in the clay. Others, beholding, have not detected it, as with the artist’s eye. He crushes the clay under his hand into a shapeless mass again. Once more his fingers mold and fashion it into his design. Again and again defects appear. Again and again the clay is reduced to a shapeless mass, until at last it rises in perfection of design before him; his eye surveys it with satisfaction and pride; and he removes it from the wheel to take its place with the choice things of the earth around (this represents the Christian—NC).

This is the history of the growing believer (God shaping only believers “to desire and do His good pleasure” - Phl 2:13—NC). The clay is in the Potter’s hand. His fingers fashion it, and it begins marred; the clay needs more of His patient manipulation and skill. It is not yet smooth and even pliable to His hand. He crushes it time after time (i.e. trial after trial—NC). The perfect vessel stood before His mind and purpose before His hand had taken the clay, and placed it on the wheel of life (unbelievers are purposed to perish, and believers are purposed to salvation—NC). But when all is done, He has transferred His thought and purpose with unerring skill to the clay; the Potter is now seen in His handiwork; and it is a vessel of mercy, which He afore has prepared for glory.

How important, as these trials take place, is the need of interpretation of these skillful workings of the hands of the Potter! How often are the lessons misunderstood (never have been many mature believers—NC); or not apprehended at all (which has nothing to do with being saved but for growth—NC)! In the history of souls in the Word these actions are seen, the results are reached. In them we read the history of His dealings with our own souls, and the handiwork of our Father. We look then for the lines of beauty resulting from His hand; we yield ourselves to the things which happen; we see the end of the Lord (how it is with Christ—NC): we know how it is that “all things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose: (Ro 8:28).

““Covenant theology, which has molded the major theological conceptions for many generations, recognizes no distinctions as to ages, therefore can allow for no distinctions between law and grace. This dominating attitude of Covenantism must account for the utter neglect of life truth (growth) in all their works of theology (presently God doesn't even have a Covenant with His people Israel, but will latter renew a permanent covenant with them; which will still be Law (Jer 31:31; Eze 36:26, 27).

“No more representative theological dictum from the Covenant viewpoint has been formed than the Westminster Confession of Faith, which valuable and important document recognizes life truth only to the point of imposing the Ten Commandments on Christians as their sole obligation, and in spite of the teachings of the New Testament which asserts that the Law was never given to Gentile or Christian.”

Note: Christians have no covenant with God, but rather are recipients of the “Covenant of Redemption” (Heb 13:20, 21), which is a covenant between the Father and the Son, in that the Father raised His Son from death after being the sacrifice for mankind. Nowhere is there any given Scripture with language that expresses a Covenant with Christians, only a declaration of Christ’s pledge to save believers (Mat 26:28).

For whatever reason, God seems a bit secretive concerning the particulars of this Covenant (the same concerning Israel’s eschatology), as it is not openly clear that it is between Him and His Son (but much Scripturally inferred); but not secretive about the availability of its import to mankind. How much love to those who are His, and how much better a covenant that can’t ever be broken?—Amen. God’s love to all who love Him!
NC
I think it would be incorrect to say Christians have no covenant with God.
Christians are the children of the covenant God made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. This covenant was confirmed in Christ.
The covenant pertains the promise of inheritance.
Both Christ and his brethren are heirs according to the promise.
This means that all in the covenant receive the promises.

I think it would be incorrect to say Christians have no covenant with God.
Christians are the children of the covenant God made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. This covenant was confirmed in Christ.
The covenant pertains the promise of inheritance.
Both Christ and his brethren are heirs according to the promise.
This means that all in the covenant receive the promises.
Israel was the only people who had a covenant with God. There is no Scripture saying Christians have a covenant with God. Just that Christ said He shed His Blood for the Christian (Mat 26:28). This doesn't mention any kind of covenant with God. Believers do not need a covenant because rebirth grantees a permanently changed individual.

Hi netchaplain

I respectfully submit that you are in error on this matter. Here's the covenant that God has made with all mankind through Jesus: That whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish but have everlasting life.
That is the covenant that God has made with christians, jews, buddhists, atheists, agnostics and, what He refers to, as the whole world. It is a covenant promise that God has given to us. That whoever believes in His Son shall not perish but have everlasting life. That's a promise.

God bless,
Ted

Here's the covenant that God has made with all mankind through Jesus: That whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish but have everlasting life.
Hi, and thanks for the reply! I would need Scripture reference indicating God having a covenant with Christians. Like the covenant He had with Israel, it should say something about a covenant (e.g. Exo 6:4, 5). The only covenant between God and man was with Israel, which had clear language concerning a covenant; but is no longer valid--until latter (Jer 31:31; Eze 36:23-27).

NC

The Wheel of Life

NC
Hey All,
So based on your premise, netchaplain, how did Judas factor in?
Jesus knew Judas would betray Him.

John 6:70-71 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

We know judas performed miracles just as the other eleven did. Matthew 10:1- 4

Plus, Judas took care of the money for the group; which in itself carries a level of trust.

Was Judas destined to be the one who betrayed Jesus?
Did Judas believe and then fall away?
Or did he not believe from the start?
How was Judas able to perform miracles if he did not believe?
How was he able to fool the other eleven disciples?
Were they all shocked when Judas betrayed Jesus in the garden?

How does judas fit into your paradym netchaplain?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

We know judas performed miracles just as the other eleven did. Matthew 10:1- 4
When Scripture says Juda has a devil, it was a permanent situation, and as God uses Satan, he too performed miracles which God allowed.
Plus, Judas took care of the money for the group; which in itself carries a level of trust.
Just because one is trusted it doesn't mean they were right with God. Their trust was gone from the other apostles after Judas manifested all of his intentions. Scripture declares that Judas went "to his own place," which to me means to hell.
Was Judas destined to be the one who betrayed Jesus?
Whatever occurs in one's life is already foreknowledge of God (foreknowledge is predestination), even before creating. God knew Judas would not be a believer. He only thought that the Lord Jesus was a good man but did not believe He was the Son of God. Judas didn't say He betrayed the Son, but just that he "betrayed innocent blood" (Mat 27:4), i.e. a morally good man.
Did Judas believe and then fall away?
Or did he not believe from the start?
One cannot claim to believe in Christ and then manifested latter that he truly doesn't believe. It's not like God gives eternal life and then takes it back (oxymoron). That would insinuate that God is not omniscient.

When Scripture says Juda has a devil, it was a permanent situation, and as God uses Satan, he too performed miracles which God allowed.

Just because one is trusted it doesn't mean they were right with God. Their trust was gone from the other apostles after Judas manifested all of his intentions. Scripture declares that Judas went "to his own place," which to me means to hell.

Whatever occurs in one's life is already foreknowledge of God (foreknowledge is predestination), even before creating. God knew Judas would not be a believer. He only thought that the Lord Jesus was a good man but did not believe He was the Son of God. Judas didn't say He betrayed the Son, but just that he "betrayed innocent blood" (Mat 27:4), i.e. a morally good man.

One cannot claim to believe in Christ and then manifested latter that he truly doesn't believe. It's not like God gives eternal life and then takes it back (oxymoron). That would insinuate that God is not omniscient.
Hey All,
Then, by your logic, Judas was predestined to betray Jesus.

"I do not choose to believe that God, for no known reason, chooses some to salvation and not others, for any reason!" Quote from netchaplain

But does that not conflict with your opening statement in the O.P.?
Would this make God a respector of persons?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Then, by your logic, Judas was predestined to betray Jesus.
He knows what one will choose whether to believe or not, while He is forming them in the womb (clay). God predestines all whom He knows will choose to be unbelievers to condemnation.
"I do not choose to believe that God, for no known reason, chooses some to salvation and not others, for any reason!" Quote from netchaplain

But does that not conflict with your opening statement in the O.P.?
Would this make God a respector of persons?
Since God is not a respecter of persons, He only condemns unbelievers. God would be prejudice if He didn't condemn the unbelievers, giving eternal life to even unbelievers.

Back