Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

There I am

netchaplain

“Have you ever thought of the Father dealing with you, not as to what you are in yourself (one possessing a sin nature but forgiven and accepted—NC), but as to where He has positioned you in His Son (your “condition” cannot affect your “position”—NC)? Have you ever thought that it is the affections of the Father’s heart which flow down to us where we are, seeing us in the Son, not in our poor wretched selves? What we were in the old man is not the thing to scan, but what we are, and where we are, in the Son; and what there is in the living affections of the Father, who has raised us up together with His Son, and has given us all heavenly blessings in Him.”— George Vicesimus Wigram (1805-1879).

“The lack I fine in souls is, that while they know that their sins are forgiven, they do not know their new place. What place have you” Is it earth or heaven (Christians presently have the surety of heaven waiting for them—NC)? It could not possible be earth, for Christ was rejected from the earth (majority of mankind will never believe in God - Matt 7:13, 14—NC). It has a great moral effect upon a person to be able to say, “I have a place in heaven, I have no property on earth at all, it is all in heaven. It is the Lord’s property I have on earth (1Co 10:26), but in heaven I have my own place (Jhn 14:2, 3; Rev 3:21-27). In the Garden of Eden man lost his place (which God foreknew would be, even when instructing Adam not to partake of the “Tree”—NC); man is lost, but the question to him then is first, “Where art thou?” Then, “What have you done” (The two questions implies that the Lord was aware of their endeavor to hide themselves from Him - Albert Barnes—NC)? Every believer seeks to be clear as to the latter, but very few are clear about the former (many believers do not understand about heaven waiting for them because they do not understand the doctrine of “eternal security,” but are yet forevermore saved—NC).—J B Stoney (1814-1897).”

“Most do not go beyond His resurrection; they do not extend to His ascension (eternal security or “perseverance of the saints” confirms they are presently with Christ while He is in heaven via omnipresence - Jhn 3:13 KJV—NC). They are occupied with Him in relation to their own side. He was at my side and glorified the Father perfectly in His walk and death here; but He is now on His own side, and it is here I intelligently realize the vastness of my life in Him, for He is my Life (Col 3:4; Gal 2:20). His death, resurrection and ascension translated the believer from his own side to His side, so that “as He is so are we in this world” (1Jo 4:17); and according as we are at full rest about ourselves (permanently saved—NC), we are occupied with Him who has set us free.”—J B Stoney

“Our growth is wrought out in our lives down here; but it is formed up There in fellowship with the Lord Jesus, where our affections and minds get into the condition to be manifested down here.”—J N Darby (1800–1882) (Note: he was a was prominent figure among the original Plymouth Brethren and the father of dispensationalism)

“’Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth’ (Col 3:2). For this I need to keep my heart more fixed upon the Place where the Lord Jesus is. Nothing will draw my heart there like dwelling on the delight the Father has that I should be there, and the delight of the One who has brought me there. There I learn the blessedness and the freshness of His love, and there I become qualified to stand for Him in the place where He is not.”—J B S

“The grace that saves from death and judgement with permanent forgiveness of sins, is much clouded with uncertainty (many will not understand the permanency of faith and salvation, which is understandable considering the passages that appear to refute these truths, but actually supports them when closely examined with the rest of Scripture—NC); so that the fullness of grace in seating us in the Lord Jesus in heaven (Eph 2:6) is rarely heard of, much less known and believed in as a present reality. No wonder therefore, that the ground of an earthly people (Israel) is accepted, and Jewish things initiated (many Christians mistakenly claim Israel’s blessings—NC); as if what was should still be in experience and practice, rather than what is, since Christ has come and is gone back in heaven. Eternal redemption, eternal life, present seated position in Christ before the Father, in the abiding rest and peace of a complete salvation, are nevertheless for today. Happy they who receive in their simplicity these blessed realities as beyond all question”—G Gardner

(Note: believers who miss these spiritual growth truths remain saved, but will undergo unnecessary, but not overbearing, difficulties - 1Co 10:13. God never fails to eventually get us through our trials and “hardness”; but the more mature we are in Christ (Eph 4:15), the quicker and easier we “patiently” learn to endure them - Rom 12:12—NC).

MJS daily devotion for August 14

“At first the heart hunger for maturity in the Lord Jesus is personal, subjective—and necessarily so. Later, when the path to maturity is known and entered upon, this hunger is projected to His Body, and becomes sacrificially objective.”—MJS

“The great lack in servants is not having a sufficiently self-less walk, because you cannot lead anyone beyond where you have been led yourself. Moses was himself many years in the wilderness before he led the people (40 years with Jethro and 40 years in the wilderness with God’s people—NC). I cannot ask anyone to leave anything that I have not left myself. It is not the man who sees defects, but the man who removes them who is being used of God.”

“Will you choose the path of death that others may have life? Will you choose to ‘fill up the afflictions of Christ for His Bride’s sake’? But what does it mean? It means living, weeping, suffering, loving with infinite patience, infinite tenderness, unwearied love for every member of the Body of Christ. It means the whole being bound up, not in your own progress, but in the progress of the Body of Christ. It means sinking all the personal element into the service of God, wanting neither credit, nor notice, nor recognition. It means an utter dropping of yourself, and a handing over of yourself to God to be poured out for His Body’s sake, the Church.”

“The unwearied care of our Father for us, His patient grace, His gentleness, His leading us on from the world nearer, in spirit, to Himself, indicate what should be the character of our love’s activity towards one another. Our joy in the Father’s presence, as He Himself and His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, are made manifest to our hearts, gives us the character of the joy of true fellowship one with another.”—Henry Forbes Witherby (1836-1907)

Back