Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

This Present Darkness

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Has anyone read the book, "This Present Darkness", by Frank Peretti?

Do you think it's a sound, bible-based book, or not?
Is it beneficial for Christians to read this book?

I read it, and it changed my thinking about the presence of devils and angels.

If you've read it, I'd like to hear what you thought about it.

Yes, I've read it before, and I'm in the middle of it right now! I wanted to go back after all these years and read it again. Have you read the sequel "Piercing the Darkness"?

Yes I believe the book, although having to interject a little imagination is fairly sound in Biblical principles.

The best example of the connection between Angels and the prayer of the saints is when Daniel prayed to the Lord for 21 days never recieving and answer from God until the 21st day because of a massive spiritual battle that took place between one of God's angels (possibly Gabriel) and a powerful demon called the Prince of Persia, until the Archangel Michael relieved him:

"Then he [the Angel] continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. 14 Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come." (Daniel 10:12-14)

We also hear of conflicts going on between Angels and Satan:

"Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him.
The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! Indeed, the LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire
?" (Zechariah 3:1-2)

"And especially those who indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority; Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties whereas angels who are greater in might and power do not bring a reviling judgment against them before the Lord. " (2 Peter 2:10-11)

"But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, 'The Lord rebuke you!' " (Jude 9)

But Frank Peretti is an awesome author and I used to read all his Cooper Kids adventure series when I was a kid and they also have good Biblical lessons in each of them, and some are quite exciting I actually reread one of them a month or so back called "The Tomb's of Anak". That was my favorite one as a kid and I must have read it 10+ times. :)

Frank Peretti has also made two movies from his various books The Hangman's Curse and my favorite The Visitation. I have both movies. Rumor has it that he is going to try to make movies of all his other books including This Present Darkness!

I haven't read it AND I believe in demons and angels.

Actually, as a rule I don't read books - just the bible :wink:

I hear it's entertaining, but poorly written. If only the author had a good word processor.

I read it years ago, and thought it was pretty good.
It's one man's idea of what demons and angels look like, and how they act.

I think his imagination went too far a few times, but, mostly, it makes me think more about what's going on, and why Jesus talks to us about the spiritual battles that go on.
The Bible is the ONLY truth.

I hear it's entertaining, but poorly written. If only the author had a good word processor.

Don't believe everything you hear. ;)

It's almost college level reading, that's why I could never finish the book until I was around 16. I attempted reading it before and it couldn't hold my attention & I didn't understand some of the words. Heck I've actually had to pick up my dictionary twice already since I started reading the book again. ;)

I loved this book and its sequel, Piercing the Darkness. They were well written.

Poke said:

Poke
Dejame decerte; Eres un torpe. Tienes la mania de un arbol

cybershark5886 said:
Don't believe everything you hear. ;)

It's almost college level reading, that's why I could never finish the book until I was around 16. I attempted reading it before and it couldn't hold my attention & I didn't understand some of the words. Heck I've actually had to pick up my dictionary twice already since I started reading the book again. ;)

A large vocabulary does not mean it's not poorly written, or even that the writer himself commands a large vocabulary. One aspect of intelligence is the ability to communicate complex and esoteric ideas in a clear and simple fashion.

Frank Perreti's book This Present Darkness was first published in 1986.

In 1985 Microsoft had just come out with MSDOS executive which contained MS-DOS Executive which contained the following applications. Only 75 million windows computers were being used worldwide.

Calendar
Cardfile
Notepad
Terminal
Calculator
Clock
Reversi (a strategy game)
Control Panel
PIF (Program Information File) Editor
Print Spooler
Clipboard
RAMDrive
Windows Write
Windows Paint

In 1986 the company introduced Microsoft Works, which integrated word processing, spreadsheet, database, communications, and drawing functions into a single program.

(Information retrieved from http://www.thocp.net/companies/microsof ... ompany.htm)

Those who are young or ignorant would claim that Frank Peretti needed a word processor. I found Frank Peretti's book, This Present Darkness a great book. He opened up the eyes of many that there is truly a spiritual battle in which we are faced with. Those that are controlled by the evil spirits do not like their cover revealed, and there are those that are negative when such is revealed. Of course Poke has shown his false stand in his bias against God's chosen people.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back