Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

time travel?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
P

Phil & Lex

do you think time travel will ever be used to show atheists and other non believers that they are are wrong? would it be the right thing to go back in time during the biblical time?

I think they will know they are wrong when they die. As Grandma Walton once said to an Athiest " When you meet your maker, you are going to have more negatives than you know". :wink:

I pray daily for athiests,agnostics, or whatever, because I think they are missing out something grand. :sad

Phil & Lex said:
do you think time travel will ever be used to show atheists and other non believers that they are are wrong? would it be the right thing to go back in time during the biblical time?

Greetings, Phil & Lex,

I have read a couple of books about this, by serious theoretical physicists*. Apparently, no one has positively demonstrated that backwards time travel is impossible in principle. However, every time a clever strategy is proposed, it seems nature has some trick up her sleeve that defeats it.

What is far more likely than sending people or objects back in time is the possibility of sending messages back in time. According to special relativity, if you could send information faster than light, that message would propagate backwards in time. This could be done, perhaps, by taking advantage of the instantaneous quantum connectedness between objects, even when they are separated by great distances. There is even one reputable research foundation trying to work out ways of doing it.

Think of it: One could send a message back in time to one's great-grandfather. You would tell him to leave a reply, say, bricked up inside of a wall. After you send the message, you go to the brick wall, bust it open, and read great grand-pappy's reply. One could even, in theory, send the message 2,000 years into the past, and get a reply in a similar manner.

If I could personally travel backwards in time, I would visit the same place you would - 1st century Palestine. I would take with me a language scholar who could speak ancient Aramaic (the Lord's mother tongue) and a copy of the New Testament. I would invite Jesus to look at the information that has come down to us about Him and to check it for biographical and philosophical accuracy.

Wouldn't we all?

* Davies, Paul. How to Build a Time Machine. (publishing info unknown)

* Herbert, Nick. Faster Than Light: Superluminal Loopholes in Physics. New York: Plume, 1988.

Back