Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[__ Prayer __] Trying to get off of antidepressants

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

I've been on antidepressants since I was 18. I have recently been put on Effexor XR and it's not agreed well with me....except for the fact that I'm gaining weight (which I desperately need) and I'm less stressed.

Anyways, I'm not going into all the details of what it's done to me, but I'm in the process of weaning off them. I would LOVE to be on nothing. I'm going to let my system clean out and then possibly try the herbal route since I've never gone that route.

I've been suffering from extreme fatigue off and on, hot flashes something AWFUL, nausea and a few other things. One common side effect after getting off them is hallucinations and I'm praying I don't experience that. I've read awful things about this medication and I wish I had never started it.

Just pray that I can fight the withdrawl symptoms and that I can also fight the depression on my own. As of now, I'm not depresed at all. In fact, I've felt great mentally!

Please continue to pray that I can do this. It's HORRIBLE. I am experiencing such awful withdrawl. I now understand what drug addicts go through. Today the scariest thing happening is that when I turn my head, it's like what I'm seeing is on delay. I know I'm not losing it mentally because from what I've read, this is all common what I'm going through. I just never knew a drug could have such control over a person. I feel out of control, but am determined to fight this.

It's so hard not to just go pop a pill. If I take just one Effexor, my withdrawl will stop instantly within an hour. That is so TEMPTING. I've thought about just flushing them down the toilet, but I guess I'm not that srrong. I just don't know if I can do this.

I've thought about calling a Psychiatrist, but am afraid they'll just give me another pill to take.

And I was thinking....I wasn't on ANYTHING for over 2 years and I was FINE. The only reason I started on something again was to help boost my sex drive (Welbutrin). Then when I told my doctor that I seemed more stressed out than usual, she switched me to the Effexor XR. WHat a MISTAKE.

Just say a prayer that God can help me through this.......

Thanks Sparrow!

I went to a different doc today. I broke down last night and took a pill. I couldn't walk straight and finally lost all control of my mind. I had no control over even my bodily functions. It was prety pitiful. So my hubby pretty much made me take one until I could see a doctor.

She said that my body went into shock by weaning so quickly. I should allow myself AT LEAST 2 weeks to start weaning off. A drug that powerful takes full control over hormones, your brain, etc and when it's missing out on the drug, then it goes into shock. I could have even gone into seizures I guess. I didn't know all that.

So, I'm to take 37.5mg (i was on 75mg), for a week, then go to a pill every other day for a week, then every 2 days, and so on.

After taking that pill last night, I felt SO much better. It amazes me how quickly the nausea, diarrhea, headache, hallucinations, etc all went away. That alone lets me know just how powerful of a drug it is.

Hopefully the future is bright for me and the slow weaning off of it will be a lot easier than the way I was trying.

I've also gained more weight!!!!! Last July, I was 101. Last MONTh, I was 106. Now I'm 110!!!!

I'm praying that I don't lose weight when I stop the Effexor. That's one good thing about it.....it's dramatically increased my appetite.

"Are you still trying to get off the anti-depressants?&

Dear Nicki,
I was looking through some of the prayer request and came across yours and I was just wondering how things were going, now that it has been some months since you posted this request.
Hope you are doing well. I too, have gone through some of that same stuff and yes it is extremely important to go off slowly...
Let me know how you are and my prayers are with you and your family.

:)

Re: "Are you still trying to get off the anti-depressan

Best Evidence said:
Dear Nicki,
I was looking through some of the prayer request and came across yours and I was just wondering how things were going, now that it has been some months since you posted this request.
Hope you are doing well. I too, have gone through some of that same stuff and yes it is extremely important to go off slowly...
Let me know how you are and my prayers are with you and your family.

:)

Hi and Thank you for being concerned! I have been "drug free" for over a month now! I'm extremely tired, but that's getting better. As long as I stay active, I'm fine. I'm not sad and I can walk straight again...LOL. It took a long time for the withdrawl effects to go away. It was hard. I now know how illegal drug addicts feel. I can truly sympathasize with them.

I sent all the articles to my parents and my mom has been off her anti-depressants for almost a month now. She too feels just fine. We now know that we no longer needed them.

I've been on other antidepressants, but Effexor was a nightmare for me. Just last week, I ran across my bottle of it and it was so hard to throw it out.

The only medication I take now is birth control (to control the growth of my ovarian cysts...not for actual birth control) and the occasional tylenol or motrin and vitamins.
:angel:

BTW...still gaining weight, but it's going to the WRONG place! I need it in my arms and legs. Not my rear! I feel great though. I know that I'm finally looking healthy. I haven't had anyone call me anorexic looking in a while.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back