Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[__ Prayer __] Update on my mom

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

I'm gonna try to explain this the best that I can. The news is kinda good, and kinda not good.

ABYPASS.GIF

This is an exampe kind of what they did to my mom the first time in March. She had 2 blockages and they bypassed both using a vein from her leg. What has happened now is that one of the arteries in the BACK of her heart has taken on all the work of pumping the blood. That could have happened BEFORE her first surgery or after it. It needed to take on that work that the Left main artery was unable to do.

After her bypass, the new vein still never took on the extra work. The other one was overpowering it and doing all the work FOR it. So, the graph (the vein they took from her leg to replace the blocked one) has narrowed. It's not blocked with plaque....it's just narrowed. That's still not good. They discussed surgery, but first want to try a medication. It's a type of beta blocker. Sometimes, the medication can make the blood flow better, therefore making the graph open wider. They want her to be on the meds for 6 months. In 6 months, if it hasn't opened up, then surgery or a stent will be required.

I asked the doctor why not just do the surgery, but like he said...he wants to take the least invasive route first. My mom is still very young when it comes to having heart disease. Most bypasses are good for a good 8-10 years and the fact that my mom is already having problems isn't good.

IF the meds work, the doctor said he will still want to see my mom every 6 months and they will perform YEARLY stress tests on her. This medication should also help with her getting out of breath and all.

I'm VERY thankful that they found this. My friends mom just died last month. I keep thinking about her because they had no clue that she had a blockage. She just died instantly in her sleep. My mom is a VERY lucky person. We almost lost her once, but by the grace of God, they found the blockage before it killed her. This time, they found the problem before it got worse and killed her. They are now able to closely monitor her. So, I feel very blessed, but I still get sad knowing that eventually we'll be facing surgery again. I'm just hoping it's 8-10 years instead of 6 months to a year.

Sooooo...that's it. My mom is in very high spirits. She was before the surgery too. She had everyone cracking up. I was so embarrased from all the stares, but my mom was so happy. She cried when they took her back and we all made sure to say many "I Love You's".

I'm going to be on her case about walking. That too will help get the blood pumping and help the artery open up hopefully.

Thank you all for your prayers. I truly believe that they are being answered! Now, when you think of her, just pray that the medication will open the artery up. She's not feeling very well at all right now. The medication is causing severe headaches, dizziness and confusion. All common side effects that go along with this medicine. Hopefully those will eventually go away.

That's a very good explanation of the procedure...always heard of it, never really knew what it was.

Praying for your Mom and that medication will do what it's supposed to.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back