Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is Beneficial

Lovekr07

'If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers! The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers and sisters. Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.'

1 Corinthians 6:1-20

https://www.bible.com/bible/111/1CO.6.1-20

According to the above passage, it is a bad example for believers to take another to court rather than to handle disputes privately. For example, as someone who has been divorced, I am convicted by this. I may not have the right to say anything about other people who choose to divorce, but I can share that the biblical way to handle my situation would have been to separate and to seek counseling and pray for God to intervene. Even if people have biblical grounds for divorce and have the right to do it, that does not mean that they should. God hates divorce. He much prefers that we separate and seek restoration, for that is most beneficial. If the unbeliever seeks divorce, then we are not held accountable for that. As a believer, God would prefer than we separate and seek healing and restoration if possible. Some situations may be avoidable, but God much prefers that we handle disputes privately or among the church.

The sexually immoral, drunkards, swindlers, slanderers, greedy, etcetera will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. The passage above reminds us that was what some of us were. It is good to remind ourselves of who we were before we were saved so that we remember that we are nothing without the Lord and that we do not have the right to pass judgement on another person. The same God who saved us, can save anyone.

Another thought that I am having from the above passage is that of laying down our rights for what is beneficial. For the example of biblical grounds for divorce, one may have the right, but could instead decide that it is beneficial for forgive and seek healing and restoration. One may have the right to have an alcoholic beverage once in awhile without being a drunkard but can choose to abstain for that is more beneficial. I believe this concept is about choosing what is better even if something in itself is not wrong. Just because we may have the right or freedom to do something, does not mean that we should. Jesus laid down all His rights for us. He sacrificed His life for us by dying on the cross. I believe He is pleased when our choices align with God’s heart as we lay our lives down for others and put them before ourselves or when we choose to do what would please the Lord over what we may have the right to do. Lord, I pray that our all of our choices will spring from our love for You and desire to please You. Hallelujah!! You are worthy, Lord! Amen!!

Back