Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Josef

What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So John shows us the definition of blasphemy as the Jews understood it: What about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

Mark 3:28-29 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

"hath never forgiveness" Which is permanent condition. (In the 60s I would have said, "man, that's heavy.") So Jesus gives us a more clear definition.
What is the job of the Holy Spirit?

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

So the job of the Holy Spirit is to guide us to the truth and the glory of Jesus.
What, then, is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

BLASPHE'ME, Gr. The first syllable is the same as in blame, blasme, denoting injury L. loedo, loesus The last syllable is the Gr.,to speak.

1. To speak of the Supreme Being in terms of impious irreverence to revile or speak reproachfully of God, or the Holy Spirit. 1 Kings 21 . Mark 3 .

2. To speak evil of to utter abuse or calumny against to speak reproachfully of.

Now we have defined our terms and can draw a conclusion:
A blasphemer of Holy Spirit is a person who speaks reproach against the Holy Spirit and denies His guidance. Thus they are in denial of the truth--Jesus. If they die in this denial it becomes their permanent condition; which is the unforgivable sin.
As believers, we cannot commit this sin. Our faith in Christ comes through the Holy Spirit. It is one of His gifts. (Galatians 5) Rest assured we still sin. We will commit many sins throughout our lives: But not this one.
Keep looking forward and keep on walking! I hope this help
s. May God bless,
Taz

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So John shows us the definition of blasphemy as the Jews understood it: What about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

Mark 3:28-29 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

"hath never forgiveness" Which is permanent condition. (In the 60s I would have said, "man, that's heavy.") So Jesus gives us a more clear definition.

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So the job of the Holy Spirit is to guide us to the truth and the glory of Jesus.

BLASPHE'ME, Gr. The first syllable is the same as in blame, blasme, denoting injury L. loedo, loesus The last syllable is the Gr.,to speak.

1. To speak of the Supreme Being in terms of impious irreverence to revile or speak reproachfully of God, or the Holy Spirit. 1 Kings 21 . Mark 3 .

2. To speak evil of to utter abuse or calumny against to speak reproachfully of.

A blasphemer of Holy Spirit is a person who speaks reproach against the Holy Spirit and denies His guidance. Thus they are in denial of the truth--Jesus. If they die in this denial it becomes their permanent condition; which is the unforgivable sin.
As believers, we cannot commit this sin. It is one of His gifts. (Galatians 5) Rest assured we still sin. We will commit many sins throughout our lives: But not this one.
s. May God bless,
Taz
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is assigning evil to God.
The Jews said that the prince of devils was working in Jesus. (Matt 9:34, 12:24)
That is blasphemy.
Your comment of "rest assured we will still sin", right after saying "Our faith in Christ comes through the Holy Spirit.", is a fair example of it.

Hi hopeful 2,
Can you explain how I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit?
I am a believer. But I still sin. That is not false doctrine. I welcome your comments. May God bless,
Taz

As believers, we cannot commit this sin. Our faith in Christ comes through the Holy Spirit. It is one of His gifts. (Galatians 5) Rest assured we still sin. We will commit many sins throughout our lives: But not this one.
s. May God bless,
Taz
Hi Taz
Welcome to the forum.

Very good post.
I just want to add that blaspheming would include attributing to satan an action of the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 12:24
Jesus is accused of casting out demons by the power of satan.

I believe there are 2 ways to do this.

1. The Holy Spirit does a work thats attributed to satan

2. Satan does a work thats attributed to the Holy Spirit

A blasphemer of the Holy Spirit is someone who sees the undeniable good works of the spirit that no man can do and attributes it to satan.... does not matter if or when they die they are unforgiven at that moment they attribute it to satan.

Last edited:
It was said: they are in denial of the truth--Jesus. If they die in this denial it becomes their permanent condition; which is the unforgivable sin.

Scripture Says: they attribute the works the Holy Spirit did to satan... thats the unforgivable sin...

Last edited:

s. May God bless,
Taz
Hello Taz.
If I may... your understanding of this subject is textbook. There is more to the Ministry of the Holy Spirit on earth and what it means to 'blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
Besides guiding in all truth (of God) the Ministry of the Holy Spirit in the world today is to apply to God's elect people named in the book of life of the Lamb slain from [before] the foundation (creation) of the world the salvation bought by the Son on the cross at Calvary. All three members of the Trinity of God have a work to fulfill in bringing many sons to God (and daughters, too.)
It was the Father's Plan.
The Son implemented the Plan
And the Holy Spirit applies the Plan to God's elect at the appointed time in accordance with God's will.

What you seem to be missing in the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is that it is not a sin of the tongue but of the 'heart' (life.) And Jesus taught that what comes out of the mouth reveals what's in the 'heart' (I put the word 'heart' in punctuation marks because the only function of the proverbial heart is to pump blood. In the Old Testament the word heart was used as a misnomer in which because it beat as it pumped blood it was seen as alive and was used to refer to whole being of a person and the seat of their existence of living. But all it does is pump blood and Jesus does not live in the proverbial heart of a person.)
OK, back to the sin of the tongue:

God is concerned with the life of a person not the heart.
Jesus teaches this:

10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Mt 15:10–11.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man. Mt 15:15–20.

Although it says "heart" in verse 19 the heart doesn't think (thoughts vs. 19.) God has given the thinking function to the brain or mind. The mind thinks, the heart pumps blood. Make distinction.

So, what is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
It is the presence of a non-elect person in the world also occupied by the HOLY Spirit whose Ministry is to apply the salvation bought by the Son to God's elect.
While the HOLY Spirit is in the world performing His Ministry He is offended by the presence of the non-elect unsaved and never will be saved person in His Presence.
It may be called blasphemy, but it is not a sin of the tongue. It is the sin of a person who will never be saved, and this person and persons is offensive to Him.

Back