Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

lchrajkumar

Church Of Christ

What is the meaning of Proverbs 13 3?​

Verse 3 states, “The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; the one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.” There is a common belief that if a person is upset, that person should “hold nothing back” and express whatever feelings he/she may be experiencing. If the words are hurtful to another, that is unfortunate; but it is healthy to not hold anything inside.

On the surface, that seems reasonable, and Christians are told to go to another if a problem exists between the two. But the Bible, Old and New Testament alike, teach that a person should guard his mouth, his tongue. James chapter 3 describes the tongue as a fire and a deadly poison.

Words must be tempered with patience, maturity, and caution. A person that guards his/her mouth with prudence will avoid so many problems and trials. But the person that “mouths off” anything that comes to mind can ruin relationships, damage reputations, and ultimately drive people away.

There is an expression, “He put his foot in his mouth!”. This means that person did not heed the words of verse 3 and inadvertently said something that was very damaging.

What does Proverbs 13:4 say?​

Verse 4 states, “The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.” One man once stated that he would do so many good things for the Lord if only he was rich. But he was not rich and ultimately did little in serving the Lord.

How many students have gone into to take a test and did little or no studying? As the test is handed out, one unprepared student prays “Lord, help me pass with a good grade”. That student will be disappointed, because answers will not miraculously appear in his brain or on his paper.

Christians are expected to grow spiritually. That will NOT happen unless there is the desire to study and better understand what God expects. A professing Christian who does not constantly pray, does not consistently study the Word of God, and is not active in His service will never grow strong in faith and will never effectively serve God.

But for the Christian who does pray, who does seek out how to help others, and who daily studies the teaching in the Bible will experience true blessings. The quality of that person’s spiritual life will improve, and the soul will indeed be filled from the blessings that come through Jesus Christ.

What does Proverbs 13 5 mean?​

Verse 5 states, “A righteous man hates falsehood, but a wicked man acts disgustingly and shamefully.” A person’s character and integrity can often be determined by what he/she hears.
A “juicy” piece of gossip is told concerning a person. Possibly a crude joke is told with a person being the subject of the joke.

What should be a Christian’s response? According to this verse, the righteous man will refuse to listen or participate in the conversation. But if others laugh and grin over what is said, then such people are labeled as wicked!

One would do well to remember that gossip and coarse speaking is condemned in the New Testament and gossips will NOT enter into the kingdom of Heaven!

What does Proverbs 13:7 mean?​

Verse 7 states, “There is one who pretends to be rich, but has nothing; another pretends to be poor, but has great wealth.” This proverb is different from most other proverbs. Typically, a passage will describe righteous and wicked actions, but this is not true concerning verse 7.

Neither of the actions and attitudes described would be considered admirable. In both cases, the person is trying to portray a false image.

Why would a person pretend to be rich when he/she has nothing? What is the motive? A desire to feel more superior to other people may be one reason. But the Bible dismisses such attitudes.

In Philippians 4:11-13, Paul wrote, “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

A person with limited means buys an expensive car that he cannot afford. He purchases other items that places him, and his family, in financial difficulties. As he continues the charade, he finally becomes too deeply trapped in debt and loses everything.

If a Christian is guilty of this, then how will he be able to serve the Lord? Where is his humility? How will he be able to focus on his maturity and growth? This path is a dead end, because the love of money and position has replaced Jesus Christ in the heart of that person.

The opposite attitude is also inappropriate. Being physically and financially prosperous is not automatically condemned in the Bible. Abraham, David, Solomon were all wealthy. A person may have wealth and not flaunt it, and that is certainly appropriate. James warned Christians to not show preference to the person with a gold ring as opposed to one who is poor.

A person with the physical resources does have an added responsibility to use what he/she has in serving the Lord. Jesus pointed out to His disciples that a widow’s contribution of one coin was more than the sums given by others, because they gave out of their wealth and she gave everything to God.

But the intent of this passage is more serious. The person described here is one who has wealth but always complains that he/she has little. Others give to a good, needed work within a congregation, but he excuses himself because he does not have the funds.

Such a person tries to escape his responsibilities through lies. But the end for such a person is reflected in what happened to Ananias and Sapphire in Acts 5. The only thing waiting for such a person is death.

What does Proverbs 13 verse 12 mean?​

Verse 12 states, “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life.” If a person has set a much-desired goal, but the realization of that goal has been delayed then the natural reaction would be deep sense of disappointment.

That disappointment can drain a person’s energy and motivation to continue. And, yes, the realization of a lifelong goal can give a person a profound sense of satisfaction and renewed energy.

This can also be experienced by a Christian. As a Christian grows in knowledge and understanding, his/her sense of gratitude and love will also grow. Joined with that is a desire to please the Lord and serve Him. Yet, the inner man of the flesh is against the spiritual; and that conflict can lead to frustration and disappointment.

Paul wrote in Romans 7:21-24, “I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?”

The point is that no one can accomplish this alone. If a Christian depends upon on his/her own ability, then the result will be just what Paul described above. But Paul went on to say, “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” Once a Christian understands that success can only come through the power of Jesus Christ, then the burden of failure is removed.

Yes, the inner struggle will continue; but if a Christian has a genuine love for the Father and His Son and has the real desire to mature and serve Him, then “desire fulfilled is a tree of life”!

What does Proverbs 13 24 say about lazy man?

Verse 24 contains a proverb that is misinterpreted, misunderstood and abused. “He who withholds his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.” Unfortunately, there are some that believe that any form of correction of their children is wrong.

Others try to be “friends” or “buddies” with their children. Both the Old and New Testaments state that children need direction and correction. Sometimes, that may include physical correction.

But there is a difference between discipline and correction on one hand, and verbal and physical abuse on the other. “Spare the rod and spoil the child” has been used as an excuse to go beyond what a parent, or other adult, should do.

Any discipline must be applied with love and with the purpose of helping that child to grow and mature. “Discipline” used to release anger on a child is not disciple but abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back