Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

When did Christ begin speaking life to the dead?

Alfred Persson

Primitive Orthodox Free Will Reformed Baptist
2024 Supporter
25 “Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 “For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 “and come forth– those who have done good, to the resurrection of life
, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:21-29 NKJ)

Question: “when does the hour arrive?”. At judgment Day, 1000 years after the Millennial reign of Christ (Rev. 20:11-15)? Or should we believe Jesus and understand "now is" means it was already happening as He spoke?

Are there other scriptures that imply "now is" marked the start of preaching to the dead and includes what Jesus did in Hades and after His ascension?

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,
19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, (1 Pet. 3:18-19 NKJ)

For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:6 NKJ)

27 Inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once, and after this, judgment,
28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, without sin, to those who are eagerly waiting for him for salvation. (Heb. 9:27-28 RPTE)

8 Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
9 (Now this, “He ascended “– what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.) (Eph. 4:8-10 NKJ)

14 “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave, I will be your destruction! Pity is hidden from My eyes.” (Hos. 13:14 NKJ)

As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water. (Zech. 9:11 KJV)

Question: As “to hear” signifies “obedient hearing, believing” (John 5:24-25), when does this "obedience or disobedience" to Christ's voice begin?

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice (ἀκούσονται τῆς φωνῆς),
29 And shall come forth; they that have done (ποιήσαντες aorist participle) good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done (πράξαντες aorist participle) evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. (Jn. 5:21-29 KJV)

Many commentators minimize the subsequent (following) use of the aorist participle. Even such scholars as Robertson and Moulton, who recognize that the participle is not time-bound, resist this category of usage. But there are a number of examples in biblical and extra-biblical Greek where an aorist participle is used to refer to an action occurring after the action of the main verb. In virtually all of these examples, the aorist participle is placed after the main verb in syntactical order.-Porter, S. E. (1999). Idioms of the Greek New Testament (p. 189). JSOT.

25 “Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 “For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 “and come forth– those who have done good, to the resurrection of life
, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:21-29 NKJ)

Question: “when does the hour arrive?”. At judgment Day, 1000 years after the Millennial reign of Christ (Rev. 20:11-15)? Or should we believe Jesus and understand "now is" means it was already happening as He spoke?

Are there other scriptures that imply "now is" marked the start of preaching to the dead and includes what Jesus did in Hades and after His ascension?

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,
19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, (1 Pet. 3:18-19 NKJ)

For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:6 NKJ)

28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, without sin, to those who are eagerly waiting for him for salvation. (Heb. 9:27-28 RPTE)

8 Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
9 (Now this, “He ascended “– what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.) (Eph. 4:8-10 NKJ)

14 “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave, I will be your destruction! Pity is hidden from My eyes.” (Hos. 13:14 NKJ)

As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water. (Zech. 9:11 KJV)

Question: As “to hear” signifies “obedient hearing, believing” (John 5:24-25), when does this "obedience or disobedience" to Christ's voice begin?

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice (ἀκούσονται τῆς φωνῆς),
29 And shall come forth; they that have done (ποιήσαντες aorist participle) good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done (πράξαντες aorist participle) evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. (Jn. 5:21-29 KJV)

Many commentators minimize the subsequent (following) use of the aorist participle. Even such scholars as Robertson and Moulton, who recognize that the participle is not time-bound, resist this category of usage. But there are a number of examples in biblical and extra-biblical Greek where an aorist participle is used to refer to an action occurring after the action of the main verb. In virtually all of these examples, the aorist participle is placed after the main verb in syntactical order.-Porter, S. E. (1999). Idioms of the Greek New Testament (p. 189). JSOT.
Joh 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice
Joh 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. (ESV)

Those two verses speak of the final judgement only, as verse 29 makes clear. People die either with Christ or without. Those who have died with Christ, the evidence of which is that they "have done good," rise "to the resurrection of life." Those who have died without Christ, the evidence of which is that they "have done evil," rise "to the resurrection of judgement."

Joh 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice
Joh 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. (ESV)

Those two verses speak of the final judgement only, as verse 29 makes clear. People die either with Christ or without. Those who have died with Christ, the evidence of which is that they "have done good," rise "to the resurrection of life." Those who have died without Christ, the evidence of which is that they "have done evil," rise "to the resurrection of judgement."
Then Christ was wrong to say it was already happening as He spoke?

Then Christ was wrong to say it was already happening as He spoke?

No, you're just not reading the text close enough and so misunderstanding.

Joh 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Joh 5:25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
Joh 5:26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.
Joh 5:27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man.

Verses 25-27 likely refer to the spiritually dead, as verse 24 strongly suggests. Verse 28 begins talk of the physically dead, as is evidenced by "Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming." Jesus is clearly making a comparison between two different things. They should not marvel that people will hear Jesus's voice and believe and so live eternally, because there is a time coming when even the dead will hear his voice and rise.

No, you're just not reading the text close enough and so misunderstanding.

Joh 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Joh 5:25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
Joh 5:26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.
Joh 5:27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man.

Verses 25-27 likely refer to the spiritually dead, as verse 24 strongly suggests. Verse 28 begins talk of the physically dead, as is evidenced by "Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming." Jesus is clearly making a comparison between two different things. They should not marvel that people will hear Jesus's voice and believe and so live eternally, because there is a time coming when even the dead will hear his voice and rise.
"Do not marvel at this" (what I already said, that I give life to those who obey my voice just like God does).

I agree the focus shifted from "the Dead" in Jesus' audience, to the dead in the graves, BUT nothing in the category of "the dead" suggests Jesus was dividing the audience by thousands of years. Rather, the division is between those who "obediently hear" and are made alive, or will rise to life, and those who disobey and remain dead, will rise to condemnation.

Also inconsistent with your interpretation, is the aoritst participle which means to "obediently hear" Jesus' voice, that is, "do good AFTER hearing it", not before. To illustrate, those in Jesus' audience who believed Jesus is the Christ "heard" His voice and passed from death into life, before Judgment Day. What they did before they heard Jesus is irrelevant.

"Do not marvel at this" (what I already said, that I give life to those who obey my voice just like God does).

I agree the focus shifted from "the Dead" in Jesus' audience, to the dead in the graves, BUT nothing in the category of "the dead" suggests Jesus was dividing the audience by thousands of years. Rather, the division is between those who "obediently hear" and are made alive, or will rise to life, and those who disobey and remain dead, will rise to condemnation.

First, note in verse 25 that Jesus adds "and is now here," which is absent in verse 28. Second, verse 29 is a continuation of verse 28 and is clearly talking about the final judgement. So, yes, the context tells us that the there Jesus was talking about thousands of years difference.

Also inconsistent with your interpretation, is the aoritst participle which means to "obediently hear" Jesus' voice, that is, "do good AFTER hearing it", not before. To illustrate, those in Jesus' audience who believed Jesus is the Christ "heard" His voice and passed from death into life, before Judgment Day. What they did before they heard Jesus is irrelevant.
Where is the inconsistency? That is essentially what I said. Those who died, having listened to Jesus and put their faith in him prior to their death, which is prior to Judgement Day, will rise "to the resurrection of life." Those who didn't listen to Jesus and put their faith in him prior to their death will rise "to the resurrection of judgement."

This passage actually proves your position to be in error. Jesus is speaking of the people in tombs, those already dead. Those who practiced evil in life, and hence didn't put their faith in him prior to death, rise "to the resurrection of judgement." It's proof that there is one chance, prior to death, since the evil they did in life is the reason their resurrection is to one of judgement.

First, note in verse 25 that Jesus adds "and is now here," which is absent in verse 28. Second, verse 29 is a continuation of verse 28 and is clearly talking about the final judgement. So, yes, the context tells us that the there Jesus was talking about thousands of years difference.

Where is the inconsistency? That is essentially what I said. Those who died, having listened to Jesus and put their faith in him prior to their death, which is prior to Judgement Day, will rise "to the resurrection of life." Those who didn't listen to Jesus and put their faith in him prior to their death will rise "to the resurrection of judgement."

This passage actually proves your position to be in error. Jesus is speaking of the people in tombs, those already dead. Those who practiced evil in life, and hence didn't put their faith in him prior to death, rise "to the resurrection of judgement." It's proof that there is one chance, prior to death, since the evil they did in life is the reason their resurrection is to one of judgement.
Alfred Persson said:

Free said:

END OF FREE QUOTE

I agree "now is" and "an hour is coming" is linear in time, I disagree the latter jumped thousands of years into the future to the final judgment. On the contrary, it jumped to what Christ did while three days dead, when He preached to the spirits in prison, descending into the depths of the earth.

In support of my interpretation is the sheer grandness of Christ's claim. He is claiming to raise the dead just as the Father does, contradicting the disbelief of the scribes and Pharisees who oppose Him.

“For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,

It’s a claim the gates of hell cannot stop Him. Even if the Pharisees and scribes kill Him, all who believe His claims will pass from death into life.

To paraphrase:
'Do not marvel at this, even if you kill me the dead in the graves will hear my voice when I preach to them! AND those who hear [=believe] will rise in the resurrection of life, [and those who are like you and disbelieve] will rise to the resurrection of condemnation'

The context is Christ declaring to disbelieving scribes and Pharisees, that He is the Messiah and has the authority of God to condemn them for their disbelief.

18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
20 "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.
21 "For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
(Jn. 5:18-21 NKJ)

Alfred Persson said:
Also inconsistent with your interpretation, is the aorist participle which means to "obediently hear" Jesus' voice, that is, "do good AFTER hearing it", not before. To illustrate, those in Jesus' audience who believed Jesus is the Christ "heard" His voice and passed from death into life, before Judgment Day. What they did before they heard Jesus is irrelevant.

Free said:

END OF FREE QUOTE

I wasn't clear. The action (done good) is AFTER hearing Christ's voice.

The inconsistency is confusing the place where Christ's voice is heard as the same place. "Now is" Christ's audience; "the hour is coming" is when Christ is in the grave preaching.

That contradicts your conclusion prior to death is when the "doing good" must occur, Christ is speaking about those who hear His voice IN THE GRAVE, not while alive.

If you said "one must obediently hear to live" I would agree, but you add a condition not in the context that the time of hearing is only "out of the grave" directly contradicting Christ who said all "in the graves" will hear.

I wanted to see what ChatGPT would do with this powerful statement by our LORD the "Gates of Hell" could not stop Him. It did a great job:

Imagine the scene: Jesus, the Messiah, stands before the scribes and Pharisees, who are plotting His death. They believe that if they can just silence His voice—if they can put Him to death—they will stop His message, prevent Him from gaining followers, and protect their own influence. Yet Jesus speaks with confidence and authority, declaring something that must have left His enemies stunned. He tells them not to marvel, for the day is coming when even those in their graves will hear His voice.

Jesus knew they were seeking to kill Him because He healed on the Sabbath and called God His Father, making Himself equal with God (John 5:16-18). But in response, He didn't back down. Instead, He boldly proclaimed His divine authority: *"As the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom He will" (John 5:21).* Jesus was not only claiming the power to heal the sick and raise the dead—He was claiming something far greater. He was declaring that even after death, His voice would not be silenced.

This is where the heart of Christ’s "boast" comes to light. The Pharisees could plot, and they could carry out their plans to crucify Him. They could stop His earthly ministry, but they could not stop His mission. Even after His death, Jesus would continue to preach, not to the living, but to the dead. This is what He foretold when He said, *“Do not marvel at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in the graves will hear His voice" (John 5:28).*

The message of eternal life was unstoppable. Even after Jesus was laid in the tomb, His voice would be heard by those who had already passed from this life. Scripture reveals that during the three days He was in the grave, He descended into the depths, to the "spirits in prison," and preached to them (1 Peter 3:19). These were the dead who had never had the chance to hear His message of salvation during their earthly lives. Yet, through His death and resurrection, Jesus was extending the reach of His gospel beyond the boundaries of the living.

The apostle Peter confirms this when he writes, *“For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might live according to God in the spirit" (1 Peter 4:6).* Even in death, the message of life persisted, reaching the souls in the grave, offering them a chance to hear and believe.

This fulfills Jesus’ promise that His authority was not confined to the living alone. He had the power to give life to whomever He willed—those who were physically alive and those who were already dead. The Pharisees thought that death would be the end of Him, but in fact, His mission would only intensify. As Ephesians says, *“He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things" (Ephesians 4:9-10).* Christ’s descent into the grave was not a defeat—it was part of His victory over death itself.

Jesus’ declaration that all in the graves would hear His voice speaks to the grand scope of His redemptive work. As the Father has life in Himself, He gave the Son the power to bring life, even from the depths of the grave. This is not merely about the final judgment, as some commentators suggest. It is about the work Christ accomplished in the grave during the three days of His death, preaching life even to the dead.

The boast of Christ is clear: Death could not silence Him. The Pharisees could not prevent Him from fulfilling His mission. Even when they thought they had won by crucifying Him, Jesus would go on to preach to the dead, making them alive by His word. His victory over death was absolute, and the gates of hell would never prevail against Him.

Christ’s voice continues to call out, even beyond the grave, offering life to all who will hear Him. His message of eternal life is one that death cannot stop. As Jesus proclaimed in John 5, *“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life" (John 5:24).* This promise of life is offered to all—both the living and the dead—because Christ's power and authority know no limits.

This is the good news that Christians hold onto: The power of Jesus' voice, the life He offers, extends beyond this life and into eternity. Death could not hold Him, and it cannot hold those who believe in Him. He is the resurrection and the life, and His voice will be heard by all, even those in the graves, as He leads His people from death to life everlasting.

Last edited:
Alfred Persson said:

Free said:

I agree "now is" and "an hour is coming" is linear in time, I disagree the latter jumped thousands of years into the future to the final judgment. On the contrary, it jumped to what Christ did while three days dead, when He preached to the spirits in prison, descending into the depths of the earth.

In support of my interpretation is the sheer grandness of Christ's claim. He is claiming to raise the dead just as the Father does, contradicting the disbelief of the scribes and Pharisees who oppose Him.

“For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,

It’s a claim the gates of hell cannot stop Him. Even if the Pharisees and scribes kill Him, all who believe His claims will pass from death into life.

To paraphrase:
'Do not marvel at this, even if you kill me the dead in the graves will hear my voice when I preach to them! AND those who hear [=believe] will rise in the resurrection of life, [and those who are like you and disbelieve] will rise to the resurrection of condemnation'

The context is Christ declaring to disbelieving scribes and Pharisees, that He is the Messiah and has the authority of God to condemn them for their disbelief.

18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
20 "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.
21 "For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
(Jn. 5:18-21 NKJ)

Alfred Persson said:
Also inconsistent with your interpretation, is the aorist participle which means to "obediently hear" Jesus' voice, that is, "do good AFTER hearing it", not before. To illustrate, those in Jesus' audience who believed Jesus is the Christ "heard" His voice and passed from death into life, before Judgment Day. What they did before they heard Jesus is irrelevant.

Free said:

I wasn't clear. The action (done good) is AFTER hearing Christ's voice.
No, it isn’t. It is the resurrection when Christ's voice is heard, a resurrection unto judgement for those who died unbelievers. Much too late to try and "do good," or rather to believe the gospel and put one's faith in Christ.

Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, (ESV)

The inconsistency is confusing the place where Christ's voice is heard as the same place. "Now is" Christ's audience; "the hour is coming" is when Christ is in the grave preaching.
And "when is Christ in the grave preaching"? Which verse are you talking about? You need to be more clear in exactly what you're referring to.

That contradicts your conclusion prior to death is when the "doing good" must occur, Christ is speaking about those who hear His voice IN THE GRAVE, not while alive.
Where is he saying this, what specific verse?

If you said "one must obediently hear to live" I would agree, but you add a condition not in the context that the time of hearing is only "out of the grave" directly contradicting Christ who said all "in the graves" will hear.
Your style of posting and not directly referencing the specific verse is confusing. I don't understand what you're saying here.

I wanted to see what ChatGPT would do with this powerful statement by our LORD the "Gates of Hell" could not stop Him. It did a great job:

Imagine the scene: Jesus, the Messiah, stands before the scribes and Pharisees, who are plotting His death. They believe that if they can just silence His voice—if they can put Him to death—they will stop His message, prevent Him from gaining followers, and protect their own influence. Yet Jesus speaks with confidence and authority, declaring something that must have left His enemies stunned. He tells them not to marvel, for the day is coming when even those in their graves will hear His voice.

Jesus knew they were seeking to kill Him because He healed on the Sabbath and called God His Father, making Himself equal with God (John 5:16-18). But in response, He didn't back down. Instead, He boldly proclaimed His divine authority: *"As the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom He will" (John 5:21).* Jesus was not only claiming the power to heal the sick and raise the dead—He was claiming something far greater. He was declaring that even after death, His voice would not be silenced.

This is where the heart of Christ’s "boast" comes to light. The Pharisees could plot, and they could carry out their plans to crucify Him. They could stop His earthly ministry, but they could not stop His mission. Even after His death, Jesus would continue to preach, not to the living, but to the dead. This is what He foretold when He said, *“Do not marvel at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in the graves will hear His voice" (John 5:28).*

The message of eternal life was unstoppable. Even after Jesus was laid in the tomb, His voice would be heard by those who had already passed from this life. Scripture reveals that during the three days He was in the grave, He descended into the depths, to the "spirits in prison," and preached to them (1 Peter 3:19). These were the dead who had never had the chance to hear His message of salvation during their earthly lives. Yet, through His death and resurrection, Jesus was extending the reach of His gospel beyond the boundaries of the living.

The apostle Peter confirms this when he writes, *“For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might live according to God in the spirit" (1 Peter 4:6).* Even in death, the message of life persisted, reaching the souls in the grave, offering them a chance to hear and believe.

This fulfills Jesus’ promise that His authority was not confined to the living alone. He had the power to give life to whomever He willed—those who were physically alive and those who were already dead. The Pharisees thought that death would be the end of Him, but in fact, His mission would only intensify. As Ephesians says, *“He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things" (Ephesians 4:9-10).* Christ’s descent into the grave was not a defeat—it was part of His victory over death itself.

Jesus’ declaration that all in the graves would hear His voice speaks to the grand scope of His redemptive work. As the Father has life in Himself, He gave the Son the power to bring life, even from the depths of the grave. This is not merely about the final judgment, as some commentators suggest. It is about the work Christ accomplished in the grave during the three days of His death, preaching life even to the dead.

The boast of Christ is clear: Death could not silence Him. The Pharisees could not prevent Him from fulfilling His mission. Even when they thought they had won by crucifying Him, Jesus would go on to preach to the dead, making them alive by His word. His victory over death was absolute, and the gates of hell would never prevail against Him.

Christ’s voice continues to call out, even beyond the grave, offering life to all who will hear Him. His message of eternal life is one that death cannot stop. As Jesus proclaimed in John 5, *“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life" (John 5:24).* This promise of life is offered to all—both the living and the dead—because Christ's power and authority know no limits.

This is the good news that Christians hold onto: The power of Jesus' voice, the life He offers, extends beyond this life and into eternity. Death could not hold Him, and it cannot hold those who believe in Him. He is the resurrection and the life, and His voice will be heard by all, even those in the graves, as He leads His people from death to life everlasting.

Perhaps it's best to leave AI alone when coming to an understanding of Scripture. It's fine for technical things like Greek grammar, but not theology. Not only can AI easily lead astray because it cannot tell biblical truth from biblical make-belief, but it could even be purposely designed to do so.

2Ti 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
2Ti 4:4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (ESV)

Perhaps it's best to leave AI alone when coming to an understanding of Scripture. It's fine for technical things like Greek grammar, but not theology. Not only can AI easily lead astray because it cannot tell biblical truth from biblical make-belief, but it could even be purposely designed to do so.
I agree .

No, it isn’t. It is the resurrection when Christ's voice is heard, a resurrection unto judgement for those who died unbelievers. Much too late to try and "do good," or rather to believe the gospel and put one's faith in Christ.

Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, (ESV)

And "when is Christ in the grave preaching"? Which verse are you talking about? You need to be more clear in exactly what you're referring to.

Where is he saying this, what specific verse?

Your style of posting and not directly referencing the specific verse is confusing. I don't understand what you're saying here.
That's where we disagree. Christ was speaking to those who were plotting to kill Him, to silence Him. He boasts they can't, belief in His voice gives eternal life. That was true for everyone in the audience, and would be true when they killed Him:

Hebrews 9:27 with its context removed 9:26-28, is misleading. The Judgment occurs at death, and that is when the gospel is preached "also" to the dead (1 Pet. 4:6).

I cited the verses, quoting them. Even bold font the pertinent words. If that isn't clear I don't now how to make it clearer.

That's where we disagree. Christ was speaking to those who were plotting to kill Him, to silence Him. He boasts they can't, belief in His voice gives eternal life. That was true for everyone in the audience, and would be true when they killed Him:
Again, you're lacking clarity in your response. Where do we disagree? What verses are you talking about?

You're taking one passage that is speaking about something specific, which isn't even agreed upon by scholars, and making an entire doctrine out of it. That is not how doing theology works. That is precisely why Mormons baptize on behalf of the dead.

The irony of you saying I'm leaving out context with Hebrews 9:27 when you're leaving out context here:

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,
1Pe 3:19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison,
1Pe 3:20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. (ESV)

Whatever Peter precisely means, he is referring to spirits that were put in prison "because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah." There is absolutely no way to take this passage and generalize it to all dead at all times.

Hebrews 9:27 with its context removed 9:26-28, is misleading. The Judgment occurs at death, and that is when the gospel is preached "also" to the dead (1 Pet. 4:6).
Heb 9:26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
Heb 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. (ESV)

No, it still means the same: "just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgement." Verse 28 actually strengthens the argument since Jesus's second coming will not be "to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him," which can only refer to believers.

I cited the verses, quoting them. Even bold font the pertinent words. If that isn't clear I don't now how to make it clearer.
Again, you are here not referencing anything in particular, so I don't know what you're referring to.

Again, you're lacking clarity in your response. Where do we disagree? What verses are you talking about?
Explain what exactly you find unclear. We were discussing when Christ's voice is heard in the tombs:

I said the "hour" arrived when Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit and in the Holy Spirit He went and preached to the spirits in prison (1 Peter 3:18-19).

You objected saying:

I replied:

Christ fulfilled His prophecy, even though the Scribes and Pharisees had Him killed, He went and preached (in Triumph) to the spirits in prison, while His physical body was in the grave, a tomb.

@@@@@@@

Explain what precisely you don't understand about my reply to you.

Back