Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Where to put the money...

C

cly

In Sunday school today, we were discussing money, tithing, wealth, and the like. We all concluded that God does not have anything against Christians being wealthy while here on Earth so long as they don't become corrupted by the money. As we got to talking, though, a guy named Derek asked what Christians should do with money if they have a lot of extra. He talked about how people often donate to worthy causes that are not exactly God-centered, such as cancer research, verses donating to missions. He wondered whether it was wrong to donate to the cancer research, even if you do also donate to missions. He asked if the Bible had like a priority list of causes to donate to.

Ryan, who was our substitute teacher for the day and a student in the seminary, said that our main goal, as Christians, should be leading people to Christ. However, he also stated that when Jesus healed, sometimes He required that those healed had faith, but sometimes he didn't. Ryan also mentioned that sometimes the ones that Jesus healed didn't accept Him even after what He'd done for them. Ryan did say, though, that he wasn't totally sure on the answer. I have to admit, it is kind of tricky.

So, what do you think? Should, we as Christians only donate to God-centered organizations, or is it okay if we donate also to other causes that are for the betterment of humanity, such as disease research? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just wondering what you all think.

That's a tough question. I don't think there is a right or wrong on either side. My guess is that God gave us prayer for a reason, and this is something where if we ask God what we need to do, He'll guide our steps.

My answer is simple. God only REQUIRES ten percent of what we earn, whatever else we do we give away by our own free will, sometimes God may tell you to give something somewhere, then do it. If you still wish to give away, ask God where he wants it.

Julian Pyke said:
My answer is simple. God only REQUIRES ten percent of what we earn, whatever else we do we give away by our own free will, sometimes God may tell you to give something somewhere, then do it. If you still wish to give away, ask God where he wants it.

Thanks! That's a good answer!

I also wondered if we were required to tithe.
I know it sure can't do no harm. :o

I see nothing wrong in giving to cancer hospitals such as Saint Judes. Theses are children who without that hospital would not be able to receive treatment. They turn no child away even those with no money or insurence. I do not in my heart beleive that its a wrong thing in Gods eyes to do.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

tithe

Tithe is fact means 10% of what you earn.

Hebrew for 04643

Pronunciation Guide
ma`aser {mah-as-ayr'} or ma`asar {mah-as-ar'}
and (in pl.) fem. ma`asrah {mah-as-raw'}

TWOT Reference Root Word
TWOT - 1711h from 06240

1) tithe, tenth part

a) tenth part

b) tithe, payment of a tenth part

But you should tithe where you fed God's word. It's to keep, or support the that church and keep word of God coming to you.

Caution, on who you support.

2Jo 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

2Jo 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

2Jo 1:11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

But Father promised :

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Want to be blessed, support a church that teaches truth!

I want to say one thing about tithing and then I want to address the topic of the thread. We are not commanded to tithe under the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel tells us to give as we have been prospered (1 Corinthians 16:2) and to give cheerfully as we purpose in our hearts (2 Corinthians 9:7).Now, as far as the topic is concerned, Galatians 6:10 says, "As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." I think this is pretty clear that when we have an opportunity to do GOOD, we should do it. So, places like St. Jude Children's Hospital and the like would be an opportunity to do good. I also believe one should research a prospective charity or cause before giving to it. You would not want to give to something that is against God's will or that may abuse your contribution.

Back