Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why does God punish the people who commit suicide instead of helping them when they were suicidal?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This just doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm asking this because I'm suicidal myself and may have to do it eventually.
Hi,

I'm sorry you are struggling. :sad Suicide doesn't send a person to hell, if a person is a genuine believer. People go to heaven who have faith in Jesus and people go to hell who don't have faith in Jesus. This is regardless of the manner of death. But please do not take that as comfort in committing suicide. God does not want you to commit suicide. God strengthens us and comforts us so that we can endure difficulties, flee from sin, and live life to the fullest.

God is here to help you through your suicidal feelings. I know it can feel like God isn't helping you. I myself struggle with mental illness. And there are times I've felt like God isn't doing enough. But that is a feeling, not an objective fact.

Is there someone you can talk to? (Please reach out to them as soon as possible.) Of course, keep praying and reading the Bible. But is there a counselor or someone at a church who can help you? At the height of my mental illness, I had a lot of suicidal thoughts. That was about five years ago. I've come so far and have improved my mental health a lot. I'm so glad I never went through with it. I know things may seem really dark right now, but there may be something really amazing in your life right around the corner! You don't want to miss out on that.

I pray that God would heal you inside and out.

Jesus loves you!

John 3:16: "“For God so loved the world, that He gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."​

Ephesians 2:4-8: "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,"​

John 14:21: Whoever has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”​

Suicide is literally self murder. Murder is a sin. But Jesus LOVES you and He doesn't want s.cide.

There are many testimonies of s.idal people who would do it, but God helped them. So the question seems misleading.
God wants us to value life over death. It is better to take the hard road of life than to be intimidated into s.cide.

God gives life, so we shouldn't s.cide.
S.cide is a ultimate expression of humanism, an ideology that tries to put humans at the center instead of God.
It's good to pray to God and dwell on His Word. 🥰

I hope my post helped you. ❤️

Jesus offers help, or as is written everywhere He , and everywhere the disciples were sent to preach the Gospel, Jesus and/or the disciples healed many people AND everywhere they went cast out demons.

Recently due to the planned reset of the world government, because of the isolation of thousands or millions or even billions of individuals, suicides skyrocketed ? or simply increased ? in many places.
The help they might have received was restricted from helping them (just as it is here on the internet).

Control of the population, religious and political and social leads to more problems in every area, and , again, the help that people might otherwise get , in real life, and on the internet, is very very restricted.

Jesus has not changed.
The world has changed.
People have changed.
Jesus has not changed. His Word is Faithful and Truth - Come unto Me He Says (while there is still time, while there is still light) if you are tired, frustrated, worn out by religion, and I WILL GIVE YOU REST, comfort, nourishment for your soul. (re green pastures and still waters PSALM 23) ...
Jesus is a Perfect Shepherd

Do you think that would be the will of God for your life? If the answer is "no" then you did "your" will.

God's will is always the highest good. This is why we seek the will of God and not our own will.

Do you think that would be the will of God for your life? If the answer is "no" then you did "your" will.
I know that you mean well by this but the problem is that many times it feels like God indeed wants me to struggle and eventually take my own life, I know murder is a sin and a true God would never want us to sin but then the thoughts come in my mind like why would God put me in a situation in which the only escape is death, there's absolutely no way to fight this ugly condition which I'm facing.

I know that you mean well by this but the problem is that many times it feels like God indeed wants me to struggle and eventually take my own life, I know murder is a sin and a true God would never want us to sin but then the thoughts come in my mind like why would God put me in a situation in which the only escape is death, there's absolutely no way to fight this ugly condition which I'm facing.
Don't give up. While we may not understand the purpose in the trials and tribulations we must face in this life; there is a reason for all things.

Pray to Jesus often. Just Jesus, not saints.

I'm glad you understand my intentions. Death will come to us all soon enough. The will of God will be to persevere through all trials........ Period. Jesus and the :cross is our example. This life has horrible things happening in it, Christians are to guide others through it and give hope. We don't follow the path of Judas. Two completely different attitudes for facing death. God does not want you to follow Judas.

how do you know this ?
I "know this" because I do remember. I know that is not a "sufficient" answer to your question, but it is the best I can give at this time.

My grandma used to tell me often, "the Lord will never place more of a burden on me than I can bear". Even though I didn't fully understand that during some of the "darkest times" of my life; looking back now it does make sense. And I would say that in answer to the OP; it may not seem like you can bear this "ugly condition", but I have faith that you can.

God can forgive suicide just as He does other sins:

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 8:38-39 NKJ)

I don't encourage suicide, but for some it is a rational choice. Intense prayer should precede any decision, to ask God to reveal what He wants.

There are times when severe affliction is used for God's glory, people see the trial and are amazed at the love people have for God despite it. And they are converted.

God will heal us all, in the resurrection. Until then, we must endure the best we can our infirmities.

Timothy had stomach problems and "frequent infirmities" so these are no reflection on the Christianity of a person. As the saying goes, "s...happens."

No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities. (1 Tim. 5:23 NKJ)

Paul was denied healing, this is what our LORD said to him:

8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:8-10 NKJ)

Even Elijah the prophet thought about suicide:

3 And when he saw that, he arose and ran for his life, and went to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there.
4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he prayed that he might die, and said, "It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!" (1 Ki. 19:3-4 NKJ)

"Who hasn't"?

But we should remember Job, how he went from despair to joy:

15 So that my soul chooses strangling And death rather than my body.
16 I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, For my days are but a breath. (Job 7:15-16 NKJ)

Last edited:
God can forgive suicide just as He does other sins:

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 8:38-39 NKJ)
This is about God's love. God always loves us, He never changes. Where is forgiveness mentioned?
Successful suicide (sin) results in Instant Death. One must ACCEPT God's Gift of forgiveness; repent. But successful soocide takes away your ability.

I don't encourage suicide, but for some it is a rational choice.
I'd say socide places personal desires above God's desires.

Intense prayer should precede any decision, to ask God to reveal what He wants.
There are times when severe affliction is used for God's glory, people see the trial and are amazed at the love people have for God despite it. And they are converted.
God will heal us all, in the resurrection. Until then, we must endure the best we can our infirmities.

Timothy had stomach problems and "frequent infirmities" so these are no reflection on the Christianity of a person. As the saying goes, "s...happens."

No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities. (1 Tim. 5:23 NKJ)

Paul was denied healing, this is what our LORD said to him:

8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.

9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:8-10 NKJ)

Amen!

Even Elijah the prophet thought about suicide:

3 And when he saw that, he arose and ran for his life, and went to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there.
4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he prayed that he might die, and said, "It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!" (1 Ki. 19:3-4 NKJ)
He asked God to take his life. If it's not Elijah taking his own life, it's not soicide.

This is about God's love. God always loves us, He never changes. Where is forgiveness mentioned?
Successful suicide (sin) results in Instant Death. One must ACCEPT God's Gift of forgiveness; repent. But successful soocide takes away your ability.

I'd say socide places personal desires above God's desires.

Amen!

He asked God to take his life. If it's not Elijah taking his own life, it's not suicide.
Elijah wanted to die, that's close enough.

Christians are forgiven all their sins when they believe in Christ as LORD, even those done in the future.

Nothing in scripture convinces me suicide is a sin, or "murder" in any sense.

Some take this text out of context against suicide. In context its about sexual sins, defiling the temple:

18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? (1 Cor. 6:18-19 NKJ)

A sick, dying body that can't be repaired, if it were the dilapidated ruined Temple, would be torn down and rebuilt.

In the resurrection, the Temple of our body is rebuilt, its not something we can do ourselves.

One should pray intensely for God's intervention and/or direction. God might heal, He might make a way to endure it or take someone home.

Sometimes suicide is a rational choice. For example, I would refuse to bankrupt my family trying to stay alive a little longer.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (1 Tim. 5:8 NKJ)

I recall Eskimos too old or sick would walk away to die alone in the snow to remove the burden from their family.

That's a rational choice I'm confident God would approve of.

If staying alive does nothing for God's Kingdom, there is no purpose to living.

But one must seek God's thought on the matter, His will. I would search the scriptures, especially the Psalms for God's answer. I'm confident God will answer my prayer using the scripture to guide and console me.

Our LORD Jesus understands physical pain, I am confident He would not insist we endure it unnecessarily, when there is no hope for health again.

Last edited:

38 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me."
39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." (Matt. 26:38-39 NKJ)

1… I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry.
2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.
3 He has put a new song in my mouth-- Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the LORD. (Ps. 40:1-3 NKJ)

10 I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth From the great assembly.
11 Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O LORD; Let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve me.
12 For innumerable evils have surrounded me; My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up; They are more than the hairs of my head; Therefore my heart fails me.
13 Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; O LORD, make haste to help me! (Ps. 40:10-13 NKJ)

22 Through the LORD'S mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!"
25 The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him.
26 It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the LORD.
27 It is good for a man to bear The yoke in his youth.
28 Let him sit alone and keep silent, Because God has laid it on him;
29 Let him put his mouth in the dust-- There may yet be hope.
30 Let him give his cheek to the one who strikes him, And be full of reproach.
31 For the Lord will not cast off forever.
32 Though He causes grief, Yet He will show compassion According to the multitude of His mercies.
33 For He does not afflict willingly, Nor grieve the children of men. (Lam. 3:22-33 NKJ)

10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround him.
11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous; And shout for joy, all you upright in heart! (Ps. 32:10-11 NKJ)

18 Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy,
19 To deliver their soul from death, And to keep them alive in famine.
20 Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield.
21 For our heart shall rejoice in Him, Because we have trusted in His holy name.
22 Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You. (Ps. 33:18-22 NKJ)

15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry.
16 The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, To cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles.
18 The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.
20 He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken.
21 Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous shall be condemned.
22 The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned. Ps. 34:15-22 NKJ)

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance.
6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar.
7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, And in the night His song shall be with me-- A prayer to the God of my life.
9 I will say to God my Rock, "Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"
10 As with a breaking of my bones, My enemies reproach me, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
11 Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God. (Ps. 42:5-11 NKJ)

1. ... God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah
4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. (Ps. 46:1-5 NKJ)

3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.
4 "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful." (Rev. 21:3-5 NKJ)

Hi Padre Pio

I hope that you're able to find the hope that the gospels speak of for those who love the Lord. However, on the matter of suicide, I've often considered, since God knows our hearts, that what you're doing in His sight, is throwing away the gift of life that He has given you. Now your life may be filled with struggles, consider Job, but the act of suicide is basically one saying to God, "I don't want this life that you have given me in my heart and lungs."

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself whether you love God enough to trust that He's got your back, no matter what happens to you at the hands of mankind on this earth.

God bless you, and trust God.
Ted

Back