Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study With Their Dying Breath

With Their Dying Breath
The Last Words of Zechariah and Stephen

It is erroneous to think of the Old and New Testaments as disparate entities, or mutually exclusive aspects of God's personality. The Bible is a magnificent, harmonious whole, an artistic, progressive revelation of everything that God is.
But with that said, there is no doubt that a lot changed when God revealed his Son to the world. When Jesus was born two thousand years ago, grace replaced mercy, freedom replaced sacrifice, forgiveness replaced vengeance, and Love has been the lifeblood of all.
As a microcosm of this great shift in the destiny of the human race, I would like to look at two men of the Bible: Zechariah of the Book of 2 Chronicles, and Stephen of the Book of Acts.
Zechariah was an Old Testament prophet, the son of the high priest. Stephen was a disciple of Christ, who performed signs and wonders in His name. Born centuries apart, these two men share one sad thing in common: they died strikingly similar deaths for their faith in God.
In 2 Chronicles 24, the evil king Joash is desecrating Israel with pagan worship and sacrifice. Zechariah the prophet publicly decries this apostasy, saying,

'This is what God says: Why do you disobey the Lord’s commands and keep yourselves from prospering? You have abandoned the Lord, and now he has abandoned you!'
2 Chronicles 24:20

Enraged, Joash and his advisors have Zechariah stoned to death on the spot. Zechariah's last words in verse 22 are May the Lord see what they are doing and avenge my death!

Now let's look at Stephen. As I have said, his tragic end is very similar. In Acts chapter 6, he is wrongfully accused of blasphemy, and brought before the Pharisee high council. He gives a powerful summation of the Old Testament, and fearlessly defies the Pharisees, calling them heathens and pronouncing them as betrayers and murderers of the Messiah.
Enraged, the Pharisees have Stephen stoned to death on the spot.
But here, things take a stunning turn.
Stephen's last words in verses 59 and 60 are Lord Jesus, receive my spirit…Lord, don't charge them with this sin!
Zechariah and Stephen are quite literally textbook examples of the inherent mortal danger of standing up for what is good and True and Godly. They both died in agony for defying evil in service to God.
But their last words! So very different!
With his dying breath, Zechariah begged God for vengeance. He cried God's wrath upon the men who had engineered his unjust death. This is perfectly natural, a legitimate example of the human longing for justice.
Stephen's twofold statement at the end of his days needs to be examined more closely if we are to grasp the enormity of what he was expressing.
When Stephen said, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit, he was expressing his utter peacefulness. He was okay. A call for vengeance like Zechariah's is, by definition, a cry of pain and wrath, of unfinished business. But Stephen was complete, serene, utterly unconcerned with the criminal injustice being perpetrated against him. He was going to be with Jesus, and this final moment of agony and persecution was merely the doorway to eternal Joy. He couldn't be bothered to lament over the circumstances.
And then he said something even more shocking.
Lord, don't charge them with this sin!
Even as he was slaughtered like an animal for his faith in Christ, he forgave the men throwing the stones, and begged his Lord to do the same.
With all his heart, Stephen hoped that his murderers would one day join him in the presence of his Saviour.
Zechariah prayed for vengeance upon his enemies; Stephen prayed for their salvation.
And the difference, quite simply, was Jesus.
I find it very likely that Stephen was present for Christ's Sermon on the Mount. And when he heard Jesus proclaim love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44) those words struck him to his deepest core. He lived them to their most heavenly extent on that blessed day when he defied all the logic of the world in praying for the very best for the men inflicting his painful death.
This is not an easy concept to grasp, let alone live by. It runs contrary to every human instinct; many skeptics find it outrageous, not virtuous. Please do not get the idea that I am any better than anyone else.
And yet we follow the God who commanded it, and then lived it beyond comparison as he hung in agony on the cross. Stephen could not have given us his example without the work of Christ's Holy Spirit in his heart.
The more we allow that work to be done, the less we fear our enemies. You cannot love an enemy and fear them at the same time.
That honour is reserved for God alone.

With Their Dying Breath
The Last Words of Zechariah and Stephen

It is erroneous to think of the Old and New Testaments as disparate entities, or mutually exclusive aspects of God's personality. The Bible is a magnificent, harmonious whole, an artistic, progressive revelation of everything that God is.
But with that said, there is no doubt that a lot changed when God revealed his Son to the world. When Jesus was born two thousand years ago, grace replaced mercy, freedom replaced sacrifice, forgiveness replaced vengeance, and Love has been the lifeblood of all.
As a microcosm of this great shift in the destiny of the human race, I would like to look at two men of the Bible: Zechariah of the Book of 2 Chronicles, and Stephen of the Book of Acts.
Zechariah was an Old Testament prophet, the son of the high priest. Stephen was a disciple of Christ, who performed signs and wonders in His name. Born centuries apart, these two men share one sad thing in common: they died strikingly similar deaths for their faith in God.
In 2 Chronicles 24, the evil king Joash is desecrating Israel with pagan worship and sacrifice. Zechariah the prophet publicly decries this apostasy, saying,

'This is what God says: Why do you disobey the Lord’s commands and keep yourselves from prospering? You have abandoned the Lord, and now he has abandoned you!'
2 Chronicles 24:20

Enraged, Joash and his advisors have Zechariah stoned to death on the spot. Zechariah's last words in verse 22 are May the Lord see what they are doing and avenge my death!

Now let's look at Stephen. As I have said, his tragic end is very similar. In Acts chapter 6, he is wrongfully accused of blasphemy, and brought before the Pharisee high council. He gives a powerful summation of the Old Testament, and fearlessly defies the Pharisees, calling them heathens and pronouncing them as betrayers and murderers of the Messiah.
Enraged, the Pharisees have Stephen stoned to death on the spot.
But here, things take a stunning turn.
Stephen's last words in verses 59 and 60 are Lord Jesus, receive my spirit…Lord, don't charge them with this sin!
Zechariah and Stephen are quite literally textbook examples of the inherent mortal danger of standing up for what is good and True and Godly. They both died in agony for defying evil in service to God.
But their last words! So very different!
With his dying breath, Zechariah begged God for vengeance. He cried God's wrath upon the men who had engineered his unjust death. This is perfectly natural, a legitimate example of the human longing for justice.
Stephen's twofold statement at the end of his days needs to be examined more closely if we are to grasp the enormity of what he was expressing.
When Stephen said, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit, he was expressing his utter peacefulness. He was okay. A call for vengeance like Zechariah's is, by definition, a cry of pain and wrath, of unfinished business. But Stephen was complete, serene, utterly unconcerned with the criminal injustice being perpetrated against him. He was going to be with Jesus, and this final moment of agony and persecution was merely the doorway to eternal Joy. He couldn't be bothered to lament over the circumstances.
And then he said something even more shocking.
Lord, don't charge them with this sin!
Even as he was slaughtered like an animal for his faith in Christ, he forgave the men throwing the stones, and begged his Lord to do the same.
With all his heart, Stephen hoped that his murderers would one day join him in the presence of his Saviour.
Zechariah prayed for vengeance upon his enemies; Stephen prayed for their salvation.
And the difference, quite simply, was Jesus.
I find it very likely that Stephen was present for Christ's Sermon on the Mount. And when he heard Jesus proclaim love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44) those words struck him to his deepest core. He lived them to their most heavenly extent on that blessed day when he defied all the logic of the world in praying for the very best for the men inflicting his painful death.
This is not an easy concept to grasp, let alone live by. It runs contrary to every human instinct; many skeptics find it outrageous, not virtuous. Please do not get the idea that I am any better than anyone else.
And yet we follow the God who commanded it, and then lived it beyond comparison as he hung in agony on the cross. Stephen could not have given us his example without the work of Christ's Holy Spirit in his heart.
The more we allow that work to be done, the less we fear our enemies. You cannot love an enemy and fear them at the same time.
That honour is reserved for God alone.

Greetings, Matt. Blessings in Christ and welcome to Christian Forums.net.

I think your comparisons are good and a case could somewhat be made that the stress in NT theology was more upon forgiveness. But to say that it was not also taught in the OT might be stretching things a bit too far. It was the same God who taught the Israelites to treat their enemies fairly (Exodus 23:4-5) and to love their neighbors as themselves (Leviticus 19:18). The problem, however, was two-fold.

1. He was dealing with an entire people in the flesh (not an exclusively spiritual people), and when you do that there is only so far you can go with placing spiritual requirements on them before they break and rebel.

2. When carnal leadership took over, they started manipulating God's teachings until they did not AT ALL resemble what the Lord ultimately wanted. When Jesus said in Matthew 5, "You have heard it said, 'You shall love your friends but hate your enemies,'" He was talking about the Essenes, who were an especially strict sect within Judaism, an offshoot of the Pharisees, but who were completely going off the deep end as far as making up their own super-strict version of it. So they were teaching what Jesus called the "commandments of men" instead of the commandments of God.

Were they teaching different things by NT times? Certainly. But I think it was maybe not so much attributable to God not granting greater revelation yet to His people than them simply not being ready to receive what He ultimately desired to teach them. In other words, I think it was more on them than on Him.

God bless, and welcome once again.
Hidden

Last edited:
But I think it was maybe not so much attributable to God not granting greater revelation yet to His people than them simply not being ready to receive what He ultimately desired to teach them.

Ugh... I was reading through this again, and didn't realize but I rushed it and didn't add all the wording I wanted to. My apologies. It reads more clearly now.

If you have any comments, feel free. Friendly debate is encouraged here.
- H

Types and shadows of things to come.

Zachariah may have been a type of one aspect of the life of Jesus.

Joseph of Egypt was a broader type.
Deliverer from physical
Between two in prison while Jesus was between two on cross.

We can do more later?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Types and shadows of things to come.

Zachariah may have been a type of one aspect of the life of Jesus.

Joseph of Egypt was a broader type.
Deliverer from physical
Between two in prison while Jesus was between two on cross.

We can do more later?

Mississippi redneck
eddif
At one time I think I did about 20
Similarities between Joseph and Jesus. Of course you may have already done 40. LOL

eddif

he forgave the men throwing the stones, and begged his Lord to do the same.
Actually he hand the responsibility to judge or forgive over to God.
" Lord do not hold this sin against them." Shows he was willing to forgive, and that he knew the authority to was God's.

Hey All,
Good job mattbranlin; you made a great comparison, and have shown the reason for the difference.

I would point out that God did avenge Zechariah.

2 Chronicles 24:22-23 Thus Joash the king remembered not the kindness which Jehoiada his father had done to him, but slew his son. And when he died, he said, The LORD look upon it, and require it.
And it came to pass at the end of the year, that the host of Syria came up against him: and they came to Judah and Jerusalem, and destroyed all the princes of the people from among the people, and sent all the spoil of them unto the king of Damascus.

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Stephen is practicing what Paul wrote in Romans. Is Stephen paraphrasing what Jesus said on the cross? I believe he is.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Back