Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Yom Teruah-Rosh HaShanah

WalterandDebbie

CF Ambassador
Sabbath Overseer
Wednesday 9-28-22 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 1 5782 6th. Fall Day

The Torah gives very little explanation of the holiday that we call today Rosh HaShanah. The Torah calls it only “yom teruah” (in Parshat Pinchas) and “zichron teruah” (in Parshat Emor). What are the meanings of these brief terms “teruah” and “zichron teruah”? What is the plain-sense understanding of this reason for this holiday? Neither of the above biblical sections even mention the word “shofar” or the concepts of judgment or new year!

The word “teruah” (root: resh, vav, ayin) points us in various directions. While it clearly means a loud sound, sometimes it is a loud sound of war or threats, and other times it is a loud sound of joy or praise. (The word “teruah,” in its various forms, appears over 30 times in Tanach.) Other examples of its use are Numbers Ten:5, where it is a signal for the tribes to move, and Numbers Twenty Three:21, where it is a sound of homage to the king (“u-teruat melech bo”).

I am now going to give a sample of the different approaches to understanding the “yom teruah/zichron teruah” holiday.

Samuel David Luzzatto takes the approach that the fundamental meaning of the holiday is that a teruah is blown to announce the new year. He notes that in the case of the jubilee, the Torah records a blowing of “shofar teruah” in Tishrei (on the 10th) to declare the beginning of that special year. So by analogy, our blowing of a teruah in Tishrei is also likely done to proclaim a new year. (As to “zichron,” Shadal interprets it to mean something like “declaring,” citing Is. 12:4.)

Radak (comm. to Ps. 81:4) suggests that the blowing of a teruah can symbolize the freeing of slaves (e.g., the case of the jubilee year, Lev. 25:9). He theorizes that our ancestors in Egypt must have been freed from work on the first day of Tishrei, even before they left in Nisan. He believes that this event is what our blowing on the first day of Tishrei was enacted to commemorate.

Rav S.R. Hirsch (comm. to Lev. Twenty Three:24 and Num. Twenty Nine:1) sets forth the following interesting approach to the holiday. He translates “zichron teruah” as a teruah that causes one to retrospect on one’s life. Just as the seventh day of the week invites us to reflect weekly, so too this holiday on the seventh month was set up for reflection/introspection. He writes that the yearly teruah on this day calls us to a spiritual yovel, just as the teruah of the 50th year calls us to a social yovel. Our yearly teruah is a call for repossession of those spiritual measures that were originally our very own and that we have parted from. Because the day is in essence one of self-introspection, this explains why the verses state little else about it.

Ramban first focuses on the phrase “zichron teruah.” At Num. Ten:10, the Torah refers to the Israelites’ blowing of chatzotzrot with their holiday sacrifices and states that this blowing will result in a zikaron before God. (See also 10:9.) By analogy, Ramban suggests that the phrase “zichron teruah” in our context must also be a reference to a blowing that produces a zikaron before God.

But then he asks the obvious question. The Torah has not explained why we have to produce a zikaron before God on this day. He concludes that because the holiday is in the same month as Yom Kippur, it must be that we are producing this zikaron because it is a yom din. (The idea of Rosh HaShanah being a yom din is found in Mishnah Rosh HaShanah 1:2.) Ramban does not say this explicitly, but he implies that the purpose of the zikaron we are producing is to act as a reminder to God to judge us favorably on this day of Yom HaDin. See similarly Bereishit Rabbah 56:9.

(Note that in our tefillot, Rosh HaShanah is called Yom HaZikaron. This term for the holiday is very ancient. It is already found in the Dead Sea Scrolls! It probably even originated well before this. Maybe whoever inaugurated the use of this term for our holiday had something like the Ramban’s view in mind, i.e., viewed the meaning of “zichron teruah” as a “teruah” that produces a “zikaron.” But without knowing in what early century and by what early group the term “Yom HaZikaron” first came into use, it is hard to get into the minds of its authors.)

Many others also view the words “zichron teruah” as the key to understanding the holiday. But they interpret the phrase differently. They interpret this phrase as indicating that the holiday is in essence a commemoration of that famous earlier shofar blast described in Exodus Chapter 19, the one associated with the giving of the Torah. This interpretation is first found in Philo (first century C.E.) But many others over the centuries have taken this approach. (But note that Exodus Nineteen does not use the word “teruah.”)

It bears pointing out that the root z-ch-r can mean both a “mentioning/proclaiming” and a “remembering.” Some of the above approaches are focusing on a meaning like “mentioning/proclaiming” and others are focusing on a meaning like “remembering.”

I would now like to mention a completely different approach to understanding the Torah’s brevity when it comes to this holiday. I first saw this approach in an article by Rabbi Michael Berger, “The Moadim of Parashat Emor,” in the periodical Alei Tziyyon (5756). But it is also implicit in the Rambam in his Moreh Nevuchim.

The suggestion is that the Torah does not give a specific theme to this holiday on the first day of the seventh month because the holiday is, in essence, merely an adjunct and preparatory holiday for Yom Kippur. The Torah recognizes that we cannot do proper teshuvah on Yom Kippur without a 10-day period of repentance. Yom Teruah is merely the inauguration of this period and the beginning of preparation for Yom Kippur. That is why no independent theme is expressed for the holiday! The concept of the 10 Days of Repentance, in this reading, is already implicit in the Torah itself.

Here are the words of the Rambam, in the Friedlander translation from the Arabic (Chapter 43): “The day is, as it were, a preparation for and an introduction to the day of the Fast…”

It is also interesting to investigate how the Karaites observed the holiday. In general, their observances were based on the biblical verses alone, without our Oral Tradition. One Karaitic approach was not to have any ritual blowing because “yom teruah” was understood to mean “the day where we raise our voices joyfully [in prayer].” (But there were varying Karaitic approaches to the holiday. See Daniel Sperber, “Minhagei Yisrael,” vol. 7, page 228, n. 19.)

I will close with one more insight. When one opens up a standard daily siddur, e.g, ArtScroll, p. 111, one sees the following choices for the recitation of Yaale VeYavo: Rosh Chodesh, Pesach and Sukkot. But do you think it is possible that Yaale VeYavo might have been composed for one particular holiday first, and was later adjusted so it could include the others? What particular holiday could that have been?

Let us look at its text: ve-yipaked, ve-yizacher, zichroneinu, u-fikdoneinu, ve-zichron avoteinu, ve-zichron mashiach…ve-zichron Yerushalayim…ve-zichron kol amcha… zachreinu Hashem…u-pakdeinu… Almost certainly, this prayer was originally composed for Yom HaZikaron! Admittedly, there is no proof for this, but it seems evident based on the above language. I first saw this insight in an article by Prof. Meir Bar-Ilan.

Yaale VeYavo is found in the Rosh HaShanah zichronot section in the siddur of R. Saadia Gaon. (See, p. 223.) Perhaps the zichronot section of Rosh HaShanah was what it was originally composed for!

(When I quoted the text of Yaale VeYavo above, I quoted the text in the ArtScroll siddur because that is the text we are all familiar with. I should have quoted the text in the siddur of R. Saadia. But his text is very similar to what we recite today.)

By Mitchell First

Love, Walter and Debbie

Die To The Old Testament Law---And Be Under The New Testament Law Of Christ
[Jhn 10:1, 8-9
1 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. ...
8 "All who [ever] came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
[Gal 2:19, 21
19 "For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. ...
21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain."
Acts 15:10
10 "Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Acts 15:24-29
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, 'You must be circumcised and keep the law'-- to whom we gave no such commandment--
25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth.
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.
[Rom 7:6
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not [in] the oldness of the letter.
[Gal 2:19-21
19 "For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.
20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain."
[Heb 7:12, 18
12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. ...
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,
[Gal 5:1-4
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who [attempt to] be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
[Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new [covenant]," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
[Heb 9:13-18
13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
16 For where there [is] a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament [is] in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.
18 Therefore not even the first [covenant] was dedicated without blood.
[Gal 3:11-14
11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God [is] evident, for "the just shall live by faith."
12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them."
13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed [is] everyone who hangs on a tree"),
14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
[Rom 13:10
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love [is] the fulfillment of the law.
[Rom 13:8
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
[1Co 4:6
6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
[Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

XXX To die to the old testament law is required to be born again. The law is not of faith. There are many antichrists out there still pushing the old testament law. They are antichrists.

See also Jesus Changed The Law, Jesus Commandments,Law Old testament law, born again to the Spirit
crucify emotions

Ro 7-6
But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not [in] the oldness of the letter.
[Rom 7:1-4
1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?
2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to [her] husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of [her] husband.
3 So then if, while [her] husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another--to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

Wednesday 9-28-22 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 1 5783 6th. Fall Day

The Torah gives very little explanation of the holiday that we call today Rosh HaShanah. The Torah calls it only “yom teruah” (in Parshat Pinchas) and “zichron teruah” (in Parshat Emor). What are the meanings of these brief terms “teruah” and “zichron teruah”? What is the plain-sense understanding of this reason for this holiday? Neither of the above biblical sections even mention the word “shofar” or the concepts of judgment or new year!

The word “teruah” (root: resh, vav, ayin) points us in various directions. While it clearly means a loud sound, sometimes it is a loud sound of war or threats, and other times it is a loud sound of joy or praise. (The word “teruah,” in its various forms, appears over 30 times in Tanach.) Other examples of its use are Numbers Ten:5, where it is a signal for the tribes to move, and Numbers Twenty Three:21, where it is a sound of homage to the king (“u-teruat melech bo”).

I am now going to give a sample of the different approaches to understanding the “yom teruah/zichron teruah” holiday.

Samuel David Luzzatto takes the approach that the fundamental meaning of the holiday is that a teruah is blown to announce the new year. He notes that in the case of the jubilee, the Torah records a blowing of “shofar teruah” in Tishrei (on the 10th) to declare the beginning of that special year. So by analogy, our blowing of a teruah in Tishrei is also likely done to proclaim a new year. (As to “zichron,” Shadal interprets it to mean something like “declaring,” citing Is. 12:4.)

Radak (comm. to Ps. 81:4) suggests that the blowing of a teruah can symbolize the freeing of slaves (e.g., the case of the jubilee year, Lev. 25:9). He theorizes that our ancestors in Egypt must have been freed from work on the first day of Tishrei, even before they left in Nisan. He believes that this event is what our blowing on the first day of Tishrei was enacted to commemorate.

Rav S.R. Hirsch (comm. to Lev. Twenty Three:24 and Num. Twenty Nine:1) sets forth the following interesting approach to the holiday. He translates “zichron teruah” as a teruah that causes one to retrospect on one’s life. Just as the seventh day of the week invites us to reflect weekly, so too this holiday on the seventh month was set up for reflection/introspection. He writes that the yearly teruah on this day calls us to a spiritual yovel, just as the teruah of the 50th year calls us to a social yovel. Our yearly teruah is a call for repossession of those spiritual measures that were originally our very own and that we have parted from. Because the day is in essence one of self-introspection, this explains why the verses state little else about it.

Ramban first focuses on the phrase “zichron teruah.” At Num. Ten:10, the Torah refers to the Israelites’ blowing of chatzotzrot with their holiday sacrifices and states that this blowing will result in a zikaron before God. (See also 10:9.) By analogy, Ramban suggests that the phrase “zichron teruah” in our context must also be a reference to a blowing that produces a zikaron before God.

But then he asks the obvious question. The Torah has not explained why we have to produce a zikaron before God on this day. He concludes that because the holiday is in the same month as Yom Kippur, it must be that we are producing this zikaron because it is a yom din. (The idea of Rosh HaShanah being a yom din is found in Mishnah Rosh HaShanah 1:2.) Ramban does not say this explicitly, but he implies that the purpose of the zikaron we are producing is to act as a reminder to God to judge us favorably on this day of Yom HaDin. See similarly Bereishit Rabbah 56:9.

(Note that in our tefillot, Rosh HaShanah is called Yom HaZikaron. This term for the holiday is very ancient. It is already found in the Dead Sea Scrolls! It probably even originated well before this. Maybe whoever inaugurated the use of this term for our holiday had something like the Ramban’s view in mind, i.e., viewed the meaning of “zichron teruah” as a “teruah” that produces a “zikaron.” But without knowing in what early century and by what early group the term “Yom HaZikaron” first came into use, it is hard to get into the minds of its authors.)

Many others also view the words “zichron teruah” as the key to understanding the holiday. But they interpret the phrase differently. They interpret this phrase as indicating that the holiday is in essence a commemoration of that famous earlier shofar blast described in Exodus Chapter 19, the one associated with the giving of the Torah. This interpretation is first found in Philo (first century C.E.) But many others over the centuries have taken this approach. (But note that Exodus Nineteen does not use the word “teruah.”)

It bears pointing out that the root z-ch-r can mean both a “mentioning/proclaiming” and a “remembering.” Some of the above approaches are focusing on a meaning like “mentioning/proclaiming” and others are focusing on a meaning like “remembering.”

I would now like to mention a completely different approach to understanding the Torah’s brevity when it comes to this holiday. I first saw this approach in an article by Rabbi Michael Berger, “The Moadim of Parashat Emor,” in the periodical Alei Tziyyon (5756). But it is also implicit in the Rambam in his Moreh Nevuchim.

The suggestion is that the Torah does not give a specific theme to this holiday on the first day of the seventh month because the holiday is, in essence, merely an adjunct and preparatory holiday for Yom Kippur. The Torah recognizes that we cannot do proper teshuvah on Yom Kippur without a 10-day period of repentance. Yom Teruah is merely the inauguration of this period and the beginning of preparation for Yom Kippur. That is why no independent theme is expressed for the holiday! The concept of the 10 Days of Repentance, in this reading, is already implicit in the Torah itself.

Here are the words of the Rambam, in the Friedlander translation from the Arabic (Chapter 43): “The day is, as it were, a preparation for and an introduction to the day of the Fast…”

It is also interesting to investigate how the Karaites observed the holiday. In general, their observances were based on the biblical verses alone, without our Oral Tradition. One Karaitic approach was not to have any ritual blowing because “yom teruah” was understood to mean “the day where we raise our voices joyfully [in prayer].” (But there were varying Karaitic approaches to the holiday. See Daniel Sperber, “Minhagei Yisrael,” vol. 7, page 228, n. 19.)

I will close with one more insight. When one opens up a standard daily siddur, e.g, ArtScroll, p. 111, one sees the following choices for the recitation of Yaale VeYavo: Rosh Chodesh, Pesach and Sukkot. But do you think it is possible that Yaale VeYavo might have been composed for one particular holiday first, and was later adjusted so it could include the others? What particular holiday could that have been?

Let us look at its text: ve-yipaked, ve-yizacher, zichroneinu, u-fikdoneinu, ve-zichron avoteinu, ve-zichron mashiach…ve-zichron Yerushalayim…ve-zichron kol amcha… zachreinu Hashem…u-pakdeinu… Almost certainly, this prayer was originally composed for Yom HaZikaron! Admittedly, there is no proof for this, but it seems evident based on the above language. I first saw this insight in an article by Prof. Meir Bar-Ilan.

Yaale VeYavo is found in the Rosh HaShanah zichronot section in the siddur of R. Saadia Gaon. (See, p. 223.) Perhaps the zichronot section of Rosh HaShanah was what it was originally composed for!

(When I quoted the text of Yaale VeYavo above, I quoted the text in the ArtScroll siddur because that is the text we are all familiar with. I should have quoted the text in the siddur of R. Saadia. But his text is very similar to what we recite today.)

By Mitchell First

Love, Walter and Debbie

Back