Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Person is Justified by Works and not by Faith Alone

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
James 2:14-26 New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Yes :)

What kind of work are you referring to if it is not of God?
If your good works are done in the flesh, what good is it?
How do you do spiritual good works, how does it differ from good works in the flesh, how does it differ from the same good works done by an unsaved person?
Is the unsaved person also justified because of doing the same good works?

(Edited. Forum guidelines: Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding. Obadiah)

My question to you is please explain me how can a righteous person do good works according to his flesh. (Edited, ToS 2.4 Rudeness. Obadiah) please give me some detailed examples so that I can think over of your works concept

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets understand that James is talking to Christians and telling them that their faith must work. A Christian should have more than lip service. Without faith you can not please God.

(Edited. ToS 2.4 personal insult. Forum guidelines: Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding. Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning.
It's Sunday morning.
Time to get ready and go to church and worship Jesus Christ and give to the needy.
Also a time to help others I meet along the way.
It is a joy.

What are you doing today to begin your new week of good works?

So you think this Justification is towards man?
Yes. Here's why:
James 2:1-4 (LEB) My brothers, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with partiality.
[then gives several examples of what He means by "holding" and "partiality" of another brother's faith.]

For if someone enters into your assembly in fine clothing with a gold ring on his finger, and a poor person in filthy clothing also enters, ...
[you cannot judge a person's true/inner faith by the clothes they are wearing or how much money/gold they have, or anything else you can physically see. Except their works, of course, and what they tell you they have faith in.]

and you look favorably on the one wearing the fine clothing and you say, “Be seated here in a good place,” and to the poor person you say, “You stand or be seated there by my footstool,” have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
[notice also that if we do try to make distinctions and look more/less favorably at another's faith based on anything other than their stated faith (see v 14, 18) or works, then we have evil thoughts. Which, BTW, puts a new perspective on all the accusations that flow around here.]

James 2:1, 14, 18 My brothers, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with partiality.
What is the benefit, my brothers, if someone says that he has faith but does not have works?

[implied answer is none. There is no benefit to a said faith. See v24]

That faith is not able to save him, is it? But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

[again, these verses support what James is speaking of in v 24.]
That your faith is vindicated before others by your work?
I would not have used 'vindicated' but rather indicated. it's not our role/responsibility to be passing guilt out to others based on our preception of their inner faith.

This seems to be a really provocative thread title, but it really is just a quotation from Scripture.

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. James 2:24 (ESV)

What is your take on this text? What does it mean?

Great topic!

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. James 2:21-24

The work that Abraham did that validated his faith as "living" is to obey what God told him to do.

The "works" of faith is the effort that obedience requires.

God told Abraham to offer up Issac.

Abraham obeyed God.

Abraham had faith when God spoke to him, to do this very thing, but until Abraham followed through and did the work of offering up Issac by gathering up the wood and tying him down and raising the knife to kill Issac, his faith was not yet declare "living" until he obeyed.

Hebrews 11 is a prime example of those that obeyed God, when He spoke to or moved upon them to do what He said.

Justification = Obedience to the Voice of God.

4 And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; 5 because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws."Genesis 26:4-5

Faith comes by hearing the word [Rhema; Voice] of God.

26 But now is made manifest , and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

Works of faith = the effort that obedience requires.

JLB

The same thing I did yesterday. I'm going to walk according to these things of the Spirit: "...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..." (Galatians 5:22-23 NASB)

Because when I do that this happens: "...walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16 NASB)

The fruit of the Spirit is the guiding principle of the Christian faith written on our hearts, put there to lead and motivate us into works of righteousness.

Good morning.
It's Sunday morning.
Time to get ready and go to church and worship Jesus Christ and give to the needy.
Also a time to help others I meet along the way.
It is a joy.

Today I will:
Obey what God leads me to do.
Obey what God tells me to do.
Obey what God moves upon me to do.

"Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts." Hebrews 4:7

That is the life of faith.

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

Praying in the Spirit, develops my ability to be led by the Spirit.

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit... Jude 20

When I do this, my inner man becomes more sensitive to the leading of the Spirit.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back