Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Archaeologists Discover Remains of Egyptian Army From the Biblical Exodus in Red Sea

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, but in that day he died, as God said. Not many years later.
The word day used is yom.which means a period of time.unless followed by a number .it can also mean age .

We have eternal life now ,it takes time to manifest and death and our resurrection it is fully manifest.why some can't see the sin curse in that way I don't know.

But their sin wasn't covered. It remained, until Christ came to do that for us. If that is what happened, then God did not tell the truth when He told Adam that he would die the day he ate from the tree. Don't add things to scripture.
In the literal Genesis account, there is symbolism. The literal Adam was literally covered up. His nakedness was the result of his sin. The nakedness was only known to him because of his "knowledge of good and evil".

His nakedness represented his sin. The animal skin covered this.... covered his sin.

I think you get the picture... whether you wan to accept it or not.

If I did, that, I'd be thinking like a creationist. God says "you shall not steal"; if I was like a creationist, I could just add "but you can borrow it forever." As I told you, it's a bad idea to add to God's word. Once you start, who knows where you'll end?

Instead of twisting His word to fit the new doctrine of creationism, it's better to just take it as it is.
...... do you read the stuff you write?

Ever is used to represent a long period of time, such as in Deuteronomy 19:9, "to walk ever in his ways." Nineteen times Yom is translated "ever." The old testament uses "for ever" instead of the word forever. In sixteen cases of use of the word ever, for is placed before it, indicating a infinite period of time. I will not list them all (consult Strong's Concordance for a full listing) but here is an example. In Psalm 23:6, it says "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Here Yom is translated as the final word of this verse, ever. Thus, Yom in this verse, and 16 others, represents eternity.
http://www.oldearth.org/word_study_yom.htm

Ever is used to represent a long period of time, such as in Deuteronomy 19:9, "to walk ever in his ways." Nineteen times Yom is translated "ever." The old testament uses "for ever" instead of the word forever. In sixteen cases of use of the word ever, for is placed before it, indicating a infinite period of time. I will not list them all (consult Strong's Concordance for a full listing) but here is an example. In Psalm 23:6, it says "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Here Yom is translated as the final word of this verse, ever. Thus, Yom in this verse, and 16 others, represents eternity.
http://www.oldearth.org/word_study_yom.htm
Bias,Hebrew scholars.

Try the jewish sources where they are more interested in the intent of the God of the bible then making Genesis say what it's not intended.They weren't debating Genesis at Horeb.Genesis is the account of how things were up to Exodus .you nor can ignore that .

Using your logic.we can't ever work
Worship ,vital liturgy was performed based on the Jewish understanding of the bible. Feasts start at sundown.shabbat is based on the Genesis week listed in Genesis one,

ias,Hebrew scholars.

Try the jewish sources where they are more interested in the intent of the God of the bible then making Genesis say what it's not intended.They weren't debating Genesis at Horeb.Genesis is the account of how things were up to Exodus .you nor can ignore that .

Using your logic.we can't ever work
Worship ,vital liturgy was performed based on the Jewish understanding of the bible. Feasts start at sundown.shabbat is based on the Genesis week listed in Genesis one,

I'm just noting that when I check their claims with a number of editions of the Bible, they match up.

So...........now Abraham is not real? The father of Isaac, the father of Jacob, who became Israel? All not real? All a parable?

Now...........I've heard everything...

So, at what point does the parable end? Or is Joseph a parable too. Then the story of Moses, the exodus... just where does parable end and reality begin?

Maybe the whole OT is a big parable........How would we know?
There are many ways to know.
The salvation of Noah and his family through the waters of the flood is an allegory about baptism.
Salvation of Israel at the parting of the Red Sea is also an allegory about Baptism.
Being an allegory doesn't mean there was no flood or that there was no parting of the Red sea.
As for the reality of Abraham, a reference to "Abram the Hebrew" was found at the archaeological dig at the ancient city of Ebla which was a thriving city at the time of Abraham. (Thousands of clay tablets which were fired when the library was burned were discovered. They are written in Ugaritic and are providing a wealth of information about the people, culture, and history of the area.)

There are many ways to know.
The salvation of Noah and his family through the waters of the flood is an allegory about baptism.
Salvation of Israel at the parting of the Red Sea is also an allegory about Baptism.
Being an allegory doesn't mean there was no flood or that there was no parting of the Red sea.
As for the reality of Abraham, a reference to "Abram the Hebrew" was found at the archaeological dig at the ancient city of Ebla which was a thriving city at the time of Abraham. (Thousands of clay tablets which were fired when the library was burned were discovered. They are written in Ugaritic and are providing a wealth of information about the people, culture, and history of the area.)
Thank You for that information. I am quite aware of the many parallels of the OT with the Gospel. There is a phrase "In the OT Christ concealed in the NT Christ revealed"
My point is that the books are literal accounts and you cannot say that the story of Abraham is a "parable" and then suddenly begin reality at Issac or Jacob....... They are all real people.

My point is that the books are literal accounts and you cannot say that the story of Abraham is a "parable" and then suddenly begin reality at Issac or Jacob....... They are all real people.

So your argument is that God can't give us a parable about real people? St. Paul said that He did.

So your argument is that God can't give us a parable about real people? St. Paul said that He did.
No, my argument is that the account of Abraham and his lineage is a foundational, factual and extremely important part of the history of the Israelite's. It is not a parable, allegory, myth, story, fairy tale or legend.

As you learned, Paul explained that the story of Abraham and Isaac was a parable.

So yes, God does do parables concerning real people.

As you learned, Paul explained that the story of Abraham and Isaac was a parable.

So yes, God does do parables concerning real people.
Just because you told me it was so, does not make it true. Please do not say "you learned" when I have not been given any scripture that would have me believe it to be true.
You should say "as I believe and would like you to believe".

I don't think that the story of Abraham & Isaac is a parable par se but perhaps more of a type & shadow of things to come.

That Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son for God. Years later, God gave His Son...for man.

I don't really see a spiritual lesson in that account for man though, to make it a parable...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back