Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are Muscular women attractive?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It amazes me that no one has ever bothered to talk about our worldclass models, our pageants. Do they look muscular? Do muscular women contend for those stuff? Do they win???? :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

A muscular woman in labor would undergo the same level of travail a non muscular woman will undergo. So what is the muscularity stuff for? Does muscularity shield against pain?

Proverbs 31.16-17

"She considereth a field, and buyeth it:
With the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
She girdeth her loins with strength,
And strengtheneth her arms."

Clearly the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31 tried to keep physically fit and strong, and was able and trusted to take initiatives in business.
You're twisting the passage to mean she does body building weight lifting in order to work the land.

She is emotionally and/or physically fit as a result of her godly and admirable labor, not for it.

I ought to bow out of this thread.

Earlier I quoted a straightforward Scripture passage and made also what is a straightforward comment about what the Scripture passage says.

This is hard to deny.

Now I am told I am 'twisting' God's Word.

There is no such intention and I don't know where this supposed insight into my heart comes from.

I ought to bow out of this thread now.

Proverbs 31.16-17

Clearly the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31 tried to keep physically fit and strong, and was able and trusted to take initiatives in business.
You're twisting the passage to mean she does body building weight lifting in order to work the land.

She is emotionally and/or physically fit as a result of her godly and admirable labor, not for it.

Earlier I quoted a straightforward Scripture passage and made also what is a straightforward comment about what the Scripture passage says.

This is hard to deny.

There is no such intention and I don't know where this supposed insight into my heart comes from.

Dont sweat it too much farouk. I dont see a twisting issue here as much as an understanding issue. Its probably something that just hasnt been spelled out properly.

The p31 woman works her land, shes a farmer of sorts. Farmers do not get up and go for jogs in the morning. Farmers do not take time out of their day to waste at a gym. Farmers get physically fit by actually doing their work. In this sort of life, the work makes the muscle. The muscle isnt prepared first before work begins.

This said not trying to talk down to or as a child, just offered in the spirit of reminding of the common sense that alot of our modern lives seem to have lost in place of ideals.

Northman has such a good point here...tho its so funny how he puts it, especially the emphasis at 'jog'.

welcome to CF.net:wave

Proverbs 31.16-17

This is hard to deny.

Dont sweat it too much farouk. I dont see a twisting issue here as much as an understanding issue. Its probably something that just hasnt been spelled out properly.

The p31 woman works her land, shes a farmer of sorts. Farmers do not get up and go for jogs in the morning. Farmers do not take time out of their day to waste at a gym. Farmers get physically fit by actually doing their work. In this sort of life, the work makes the muscle. The muscle isnt prepared first before work begins.

This said not trying to talk down to or as a child, just offered in the spirit of reminding of the common sense that alot of our modern lives seem to have lost in place of ideals.

Maybe you're right.

Personally I don't find body builder type men attractive at all. Nicely muscled, maybe, but too much is kinda gross.

My view would be something like this:
Men are stronger than woman, generally. This is a scientific fact.
Biblically women are to be a help meet, meaning they try to help and support their husbands.

That said, I don't see anything in the Bible saying women shouldn't exercise or that they shouldn't have any muscles at all. I need to exercise more, really, and going to the gym would probably help motivate me more. Neither would I automatically assume that women with some muscle are worldly...that may be the case, but I'd think getting to know someone's heart would give you a better judgement of that.

I'm not muscle-y, but I can lift more than my brother can or is willing to. (P.S. He's 15 and complains about taking laundry to the dryer. I'm able to lift and carry a 40 lb box of cat litter. I probably cant handle much more than that, though.)
I've been told Im pretty strong for a girl, but not sure how true that is.

I know some very Godly people who do or have things that you could call them worldly minded based on them doing or having them. Motorcycle riders, piercings, etc. And I feel very small in my faith compared to some of them, honestly.
Some would call me worldly for listening to and dancing to Christian rock.

Now as far as women body builders are concerned, my understanding is that they generally need to take testosterone or something like steroids to get as beefed up as they do. But I'm not knowledgeable on that or anything.

But that's just my take. I'm always learning more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought:
Isn't it also worldly if men get big muscles with the goal of looking attractive to women in mind?

..Neither would I automatically assume that women with some muscle are worldly...that may be the case, but I'd think getting to know someone's heart would give you a better judgement of that.

I'm not muscle-y, but I can lift more than my brother can or is willing to.
I've been told Im pretty strong for a girl, but not sure how true that is.

I know some very Godly people who do or have things that you could call them worldly minded based on them doing or having them. Motorcycle riders, piercings, etc. And I feel very small in my faith compared to some of them, honestly.
@questdriven :

Well, exactly.

Although John certainly warns against worldliness in his First Epistle - and we need to take note - yet to claim to have a window into people hearts because of arbitrary externals is legalism. Musclely, pierced people (men and women) abound, after all. (And actually, you mention bikers: these days if you see a group of bikers in helmets and leather pantsuits arriving at a Cracker Barrel off an Interstate, they may well turn out to be a group of pastors' and deacons' wives out for a ladies' weekend, rather than Hell's Angels, or whatever.)

Blessings.

Another thought:
Isn't it also worldly if men get big muscles with the goal of looking attractive to women in mind?
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

I guess your point is that it can be stated in reverse, gender-wise also. I guess similar considerations apply to piercings, bodyart etc., where gender equality prevails, right? (like you seemed to say in your previous post). Like, criticize a woman, criticize a man also; or, don't criticize a man, don't criticize a woman also.

Blessings.

Another thought:

I guess your point is that it can be stated in reverse, gender-wise also. I guess similar considerations apply to piercings, bodyart etc., where gender equality prevails, right? (like you seemed to say in your previous post). Like, criticize a woman, criticize a man also; or, don't criticize a man, don't criticize a woman also.

Blessings.

Kinda, yeah.

When it comes to worldly things, I think we all struggle with them. (I know I do.) Some worse than others.

Another thought:

Blessings.

Kinda, yeah.

When it comes to worldly things, I think we all struggle with them. (I know I do.) Some worse than others.

@questdiven:

I'm sure we all do, and we need the Lord's help to be strengthened in the truth of 1 John 2.15, right?

In terms of judging people by externals, however, this is legalism. You may see a muscular lady with a labret stud, who rides a Harley: she may indeed have a tender, Godly heart, right?

Blessings.

Muscles are just another thing in life.
Is there really any difference between a women who builds muscles because she likes the way she looks and feels or a women who gets her hair colored at the salon?

Is there really any difference between a women who builds muscles because she likes the way she looks and feels or a women who gets her hair colored at the salon?

Well, exactly. My wife changes her hair color, and also doesn't feel dressed if she goes out and doesn't 'put on her face'.

PS:

@allenwynne :

Taken to its conclusion, a stricture against Christian women building muscles (or getting bodyart, etc.) would also, at least in its underlying logic, mean that they should perpetually keep their hair cut very short in a plain style, always wear plain pants and flat heels, and so forth, 'in case' someone thought they were being decorative, or whatever.

Taken to its conclusion, a stricture against Christian women building muscles (or getting bodyart, etc.) would also, at least in its underlying logic, mean that they should perpetually keep their hair cut very short in a plain style, always wear plain pants and flat heels, and so forth, 'in case' someone thought they were being decorative, or whatever.

I would have to disagree with this.
@Edward :

Well, yes; so would I.

This was my point, really, about the underlying logic of sweeping legalism.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back