Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Both Apostles Are Right!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I found another verse that indicates that faith comes first.

Romans 10:8-10
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”[a] (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

But if you feel you have to do good deeds to maintain your salvation, then this verse is for you.

Romans 10:3-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

- Davies

I've noticed that in these kinds of threads, the people who argue for works salvation seem to share these two things:

1) They think that everybody who thinks one is declared righteous by faith apart from works automatically must also believe that saving faith doesn't have to do anything.

Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I believe and have seen. I submit, and have been submitting for years, that the "faith alone" crowd has to DO something in order to be saved. We, who believe the biblical teaching on salvation, hold that our actions toward God effect our salvation. You THINK your actions have nothing to do with yours, but that's not at all true. You MUST accept Jesus as personal Lord and savoir in order to be saved, and this is a "work" by your own definition.
2) They seem to be strongly motivated by an envy of those who really do think saving faith doesn't have to do anything (namely, those who have a 'faith' that can't justify/save them).

:biglol Why would we be envious of heresy?

These two things typically make it terribly hard to get through to these people.

The way to get through to us is to actually make sense in your eisigesis instead of twisting Scripture by focusing on the word "shown" and ignoring the PLAIN words that say we are not justified by faith alone. That might help.

dadof10,

I think we found the heart of our disagreement, what it means to be obedient to God, and the role our obedience plays in our justification. Though this thread has strengthened my convictions regarding justification by faith, I have to say then I appreciate the dialogue. We have to agree to disagree and tolerate one another. Because you understand my position, you should understand that I think it is fatal to think you will be able to do enough good deeds to justify yourself.

You really don't understand my position at all. When have I made the claim that we can do enough to justify ourselves? I have said the opposite, remember, it's all grace, "the work and the will to work"? Are you even trying, or just content to kick the straw dog?

I pose to you the righteousness that God offers along with the forgiveness of sins is sufficient to allow you to stand fully sanctified before the Father after your mortal body passes away.

So do I, contingent upon you remaining in His righteousness. You can lose your justification, hence the example of Abraham's three justifications.

Also you should understand you are posting on a website that clearly states the position I have put forth, and I would ask to respect my decision to place my faith in justification by faith alone just as I respect your decision to place your faith in what I consider to be another gospel.

When have I showed you anything but respect?

In this, we do not share fellowship, and it's my responsibility to point out the error.

As it is mine, so you don't mind, then?

You seem to be a nice person, and if we were to ever meet in person, I have no doubt we could be respectful to one another. It's better we walk away from this discussion saying each other is wrong having an understanding rather than not caring at all.

- Davies

OK...

Probably the best illustration of how justifying faith (as opposed to the 'faith' that doesn't justify--the kind demons have) drives righteous works of love is the story of the 'sinful' woman in Luke 7.

Her actions showed that she had been forgiven much. To whom Jesus said, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.†(vs. 50)

"...her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.†(Luke 7:47 NASB)

The link between faith in Christ's forgiveness, and the work that grace produces in a person, is easily seen. Forgiven much--loves much. Forgiven little--loves little. It's an undeniable link. Faith is the motivator of love. And where there is no, or little, faith, there is no, or little, love. That's why love is what signifies saving faith. It is in that way that love 'justifies' the person as having a genuine faith in the forgiveness of God. But you won't get it as long as you can only see the word 'justify' as meaning to be 'made' righteous.

No one is claiming the word "justify" only means made righteous. I am only claiming the word justify means made righteous, or saved, in James 2, and that the view that James means simply shown to be righteous by the word "justify" is pure eisigesis.

"What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him? (James (RSV) 2)

This is James' working hypothesis and everything that follows, flows from this question, so when James argues for justification by works, he means justification in a soteriological sense.

Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I believe and have seen. I submit, and have been submitting for years, that the "faith alone" crowd has to DO something in order to be saved.
They have to do something insofar as the faith they say they have must be of sufficient quality to produce works of righteousness. Those works VALIDATING the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works. Those works do not MAKE us righteous, they SHOW us to have the righteousness that comes by faith in God's forgiveness, apart from works.

I submit to you that those who think the faith through which we are declared righteous doesn't have to change a person's behavior for that faith to be able to solicit a declaration of righteousness is...well...an unbeliever. You will be hard pressed to find a genuine believer who says we do not have an obligation to walk in the Spirit as a result of being justified by faith apart from works. But that hardly means we are MADE righteous by our righteous works. Paul PLAINLY says we are NOT saved because of any righteous thing we have done.

We, who believe the biblical teaching on salvation, hold that our actions toward God effect our salvation. You THINK your actions have nothing to do with yours, but that's not at all true.
See, this is what I'm talking about. You automatically think those in our camp think actions mean nothing. The proper argument is, works play no part in MAKING a person righteous before God. That is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Anyone who thinks they can be righteous enough to earn their salvation, even through the Holy Spirit, is deceived...not to mention the very definition of 'self righteous'. But our actions are essential in validating our faith as genuine. We are commanded to do that...validate our own faith to ensure we really do have the faith that justifies, all by itself apart from works, so that we can know for ourselves if we truly will be saved on the Day of Wrath by our faith in the forgiveness of God.

You MUST accept Jesus as personal Lord and savoir in order to be saved, and this is a "work" by your own definition.
And that is the pettiest of arguments. I also had to get out of bed the day I accepted Christ.

:biglol Why would we be envious of heresy?
I see it often in Pharissetical, self-righteous arguments...like among the law keeping crowd, for example. It's the envy of not letting other people think they are 'getting away with it' while they themselves are busy self-righteously conforming to a works gospel and wearing themselves out earning their way to heaven. Surely if you have to work your way to heaven so does everybody else. Nobody's going to have it easier than you, right?

The way to get through to us is to actually make sense in your eisigesis instead of twisting Scripture by focusing on the word "shown" and ignoring the PLAIN words that say we are not justified by faith alone. That might help.
You are guilty of not dividing the Word of God properly. That means you are not taking the whole counsel of the scriptures into consideration when you lift passages of scripture out of scripture. From the whole picture we know it is faith in God's forgiveness that justifies and saves a person. That is diametrically opposed to the belief that you earn salvation by doing good things.

We are justified (MADE/ DECLARED) righteous by what we believe, just like Abraham was made righteous by believing what God said about a promised Son who would inherit the blessing on his behalf. And, just as James says, we are also justified (SHOWN TO BE) righteous by what we do, just as Abraham was shown to have truly believed God's promise of blessing by what he did in offering up Issac on the altar.

Your doctrine leaves a very glaring contradiction in scripture that the world loves to exploit and discredit the Bible about. And to remedy it you try to redefine 'love your neighbor as yourself' (LEVITICUS--as in the Law of Moses-- 19:18) to mean something other than a work of the law, instead of just understanding the scriptures the way they are written. It's so abundantly clear from the context of James' discourse, and the example he uses, that he is speaking of showing your faith as real and able to save by what you do, not your works being able to make you righteous and save you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bible is very clear about this. We are saved because we believe God will forgive our sins, not because we are (now) good enough to earn salvation. That as I said, is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Nobody's that good. Nobody.

And we KNOW a person has received God's forgiveness, and therefore saved, by what they do. People who know well the debt of sin they have been forgiven love others accordingly. That's why love is the signifying 'work' of the one who has a genuine faith in Christ's forgiveness (not a false faith as in the case of the demons). Love does not make us saved. Love shows us to have been saved through the forgiveness of our sins, apart from works...just as the sinful woman at the feet of Jesus, whom he said was saved by her faith, showed the evidence of her faith in God's forgiveness by her love. She was justified (made) righteous by her faith in God's forgiveness. She was also justified (shown to be) righteous by her love.

Personally, my only boast in salvation is that God forgave my sins. That's how I came to Christ..without one plea. I know all too well that I could not earn my salvation by what I do. Neither before I had the Spirit, nor now with the Holy Spirit. I'm simply not 100% perfect. Only a self-righteous person would think they were 100% perfect and worthy of salvation through what they do.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is about being saved through the forgiveness of sins, not through the performance of work. That's the good news. But it's good news that doesn't go without consequence. The love of God given us in the forgiveness of sins will propel us into a life of ever increasing deeds of love. As for those who don't move forward that way? Well, either they have forgotten about the forgiveness they have received (see 2 Peter 1:18 thereabouts), or they never received it to begin with.

The Bible is very clear about this. We are saved because we believe God will forgive our sins, not because we are (now) good enough to earn salvation. That as I said, is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Nobody's that good. Nobody.

And we KNOW a person has received God's forgiveness, and therefore saved, by what they do. People who know well the debt of sin they have been forgiven love others accordingly. That's why love is the signifying 'work' of the one who has a genuine faith in Christ's forgiveness (not a false faith as in the case of the demons). Love does not make us saved. Love shows us to have been saved through the forgiveness of our sins, apart from works...just as the sinful woman at the feet of Jesus, whom he said was saved by her faith, showed the evidence of her faith in God's forgiveness by her love. She was justified (made) righteous by her faith in God's forgiveness. She was also justified (shown to be) righteous by her love.

Personally, my only boast in salvation is that God forgave my sins. That's how I came to Christ..without one plea. I know all too well that I could not earn my salvation by what I do. Neither before I had the Spirit, nor now with the Holy Spirit. I'm simply not 100% perfect. Only a self-righteous person would think they were 100% perfect and worthy of salvation through what they do.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is about being saved through the forgiveness of sins, not through the performance of work. That's the good news. But it's good news that doesn't go without consequence. The love of God given us in the forgiveness of sins will propel us into a life of ever increasing deeds of love. As for those who don't move forward that way? Well, either they have forgotten about the forgiveness they have received (see 2 Peter 1:18 thereabouts), or they never received it to begin with.

Salvation is a life-long process. It is not a one-time event.

Mark 16:16 (NKJV)
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

We were first saved (born again) in the past by our faith and baptism:

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

We continue to be saved in the present by our continued obedience to God's commands:

2 Corinthians 2:15
For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

We will be saved in the future until death by our continued obedience to God's commands:

Matthew 24:11-13 (NIV)
11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm [in obedience to God's commandments] to the end [of life] will be saved.

Those persons who remain faithful until death to God and His commandments will inherit eternal life.

Revelation 2:10 NKJV
Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Salvation is a life-long process. At any time, while a person is on earth, he may serve God or he may choose to not serve God. He may serve God for awhile and then choose to sin against Him and thereby not serve Him. He may repent of his sins and return to God once again. He may do this cycle of sin and repentance hundreds or thousands of times during his lifetime (Not recommended!). Once he dies, whatever state he is in at the exact time of his death is the state he remains in for eternity.

Ezekiel 33:12-20 (NKJV)
12 “Therefore you, O son of man, say to the children of your people: ‘The righteousness of the righteous man shall not deliver [save] him in the day of his transgression [sin]; as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall [be condemned] because of it in the day that he turns from his wickedness; nor shall the righteous be able to live [be worthy to inherit eternal life] because of his righteousness in the day that he sins.’ 13 When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live [be worthy to inherit eternal life], but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity [sin], none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die [not be worthy to inherit eternal life].
14 Again, when I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die [receive condemnation],’ if he turns from his sin and does what is lawful and right, 15 if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has stolen, and walks in the statutes of life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live [be worthy to inherit eternal life]; he shall not die [receive condemnation]. 16 None of his sins which he has committed shall be remembered against him; he has done what is lawful and right; he shall surely live [be worthy to inherit eternal life].
17 “Yet the children of your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ But it is their way which is not fair! 18 When the righteous turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, he shall die [not be worthy to inherit eternal life] because of it. 19 But when the wicked turns from his wickedness and does what is lawful and right, he shall live [be worthy to inherit eternal life] because of it. 20 Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ O house of Israel, I will judge every one of you according to his own ways.â€

God does His part for our salvation and we cooperate with His grace to do our part for our salvation.

Our good works help to atone for our own personal sins. Our own good works cover [help atone] for our own personal sins.

1 Peter 4:8 (NKJV)
8 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.â€

James 5:20 (NKJV)
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Colossians 1:24
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,

Good works help to forgive sins. Jesus Christ alone paid the blood guilt price for our sins. We each have to pay the you reap what you sow price for all of our own personal sins.

Galatians 6:7-8 (NKJV)
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

James 2:24 (NIV)
24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

'Faith' is a life long, on-going process.

You must continue to believe and trust that your sins are forgiven in Christ Jesus to the very end to be delivered (saved) on the Day of Wrath. The Holy Spirit is the sign, or seal that you are trusting in Christ's work on the cross for the forgiveness of sin. The Holy Spirit is the sign of the Covenant. The fruit of that indwelling Holy Spirit is the proof and evidence that you are in Covenant with God through the blood of Jesus Christ. You must possess the Holy Spirit on the Day of Wrath to be delivered through the Judgment. Your continued faith in the blood of Christ for your forgiveness is how you stay covered by the seal of the Holy Spirit for the Day of Wrath. The fruit, or works of the Spirit are how you know that you are doing that.

Look at your last scriptural quote. I'm glad you're okay with the NIV translation:

24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

A person is not made righteous by what they do. They are shown, or considered to be righteous by what they do. Works only 'save' in the sense that they show, or prove, you have faith in God's forgiveness. Nobody is declared right with God through works. People are declared righteous by their faith and trust in God's forgiveness, their works then giving testimony to the righteousness they have received by faith in Christ's blood. Just as Abraham's obedience testified to the genuineness of his faith in God's promise to bless him through the giving of a son.

They have to do something insofar as the faith they say they have must be of sufficient quality to produce works of righteousness.

Where does Scripture talk about "quality" of faith? Answer: It doesn't.

Those works VALIDATING the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works.
Where does Scripture teach this notion? Answer: It doesn't.

Those works do not MAKE us righteous, they SHOW us to have the righteousness that comes by faith in God's forgiveness, apart from works.
It doesn't teach this either, especially in James 2...

I submit to you that those who think the faith through which we are declared righteous doesn't have to change a person's behavior for that faith to be able to solicit a declaration of righteousness is...well...an unbeliever.
Or this...

You will be hard pressed to find a genuine believer who says we do not have an obligation to walk in the Spirit as a result of being justified by faith apart from works.
Obligation??? To whom? What happens if the "genuine believer" does not think we have this obligation? Loss of salvation? I have talked to many "born again Christians" who think they are not obligated to walk anywhere or do anything, they are saved for eternity by a one time declaration of faith. Wait...let me guess...They are not "genuine believers", then right?

But that hardly means we are MADE righteous by our righteous works. Paul PLAINLY says we are NOT saved because of any righteous thing we have done.
Right. Our salvation comes to us by Grace alone.
See, this is what I'm talking about. You automatically think those in our camp think actions mean nothing.
No, I think that those in your camp believe that actions mean nothing SALVIFIC. Isn't this true? You have been saying nothing else since the beginning. If not, which actions that we do, save?

The proper argument is, works play no part in MAKING a person righteous before God. That is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Anyone who thinks they can be righteous enough to earn their salvation, even through the Holy Spirit, is deceived...not to mention the very definition of 'self righteous'.
REALLY? So, the Holy Spirit working through a person and drawing out of him a confession of true faith is self righteousness? Please show where this little gem is taught in Scripture.

But our actions are essential in validating our faith as genuine. We are commanded to do that...validate our own faith to ensure we really do have the faith that justifies, all by itself apart from works, so that we can know for ourselves if we truly will be saved on the Day of Wrath by our faith in the forgiveness of God.
Where does Scripture teach this? Again...It doesn't.

You MUST accept Jesus as personal Lord and savoir in order to be saved, and this is a "work" by your own definition.
And that is the pettiest of arguments. I also had to get out of bed the day I accepted Christ.
Was getting out of bed NECESSARY for salvation? Is accepting Jesus necessary in your opinion? If so, how is it not a necessary work?
I see it often in Pharissetical, self-righteous arguments...like among the law keeping crowd, for example. It's the envy of not letting other people think they are 'getting away with it' while they themselves are busy self-righteously conforming to a works gospel and wearing themselves out earning their way to heaven. Surely if you have to work your way to heaven so does everybody else. Nobody's going to have it easier than you, right?
I don't know. I've never met anyone who thinks this way?

You are guilty of not dividing the Word of God properly.
Does proper dividing of the word include belief in non-biblical notions, like those above?

That means you are not taking the whole counsel of the scriptures into consideration when you lift passages of scripture out of scripture.
It's obvious that we are not justified by faith alone. I could give you 10 verses that teach this exact BIBLICAL doctrine. From Jesus, to Paul's teaching on the salvific power of child-bearing, to Peter's teaching on the necessity of water baptism. How many verses can you give that teach faith has to be of a certain "quality"? What about that works validate "the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works"?

Who is not "rightly dividing" the Word?
From the whole picture we know it is faith in God's forgiveness that justifies and saves a person. That is diametrically opposed to the belief that you earn salvation by doing good things.
No one is saying we can earn salvation by doing good things. I (and others) have been saying repeatedly that we must cooperate with God's Grace to remain justified because justification is an ongoing process. Abraham is a great example of this.

We are justified (MADE/ DECLARED) righteous by what we believe, just like Abraham was made righteous by believing what God said about a promised Son who would inherit the blessing on his behalf.
What else does Scripture say about Abraham and Justification? I laid it out in a previous post to you. Do you remember? Does ignoring 2 other events in Abraham's life where he was justified two other times count as "rightly dividing" the word?

And, just as James says, we are also justified (SHOWN TO BE) righteous by what we do, just as Abraham was shown to have truly believed God's promise of blessing by what he did in offering up Issac on the altar.
Still waiting for your exegesis of James 2. I don't accept your view that James means shown to be saved by the word "justification". It doesn't hold water.
Your doctrine leaves a very glaring contradiction in scripture that the world loves to exploit and discredit the Bible about. And to remedy it you try to redefine 'love your neighbor as yourself' (LEVITICUS--as in the Law of Moses-- 19:18) to mean something other than a work of the law, instead of just understanding the scriptures the way they are written.
:biglol THE WAY THEY ARE WRITTEN??? OK, the way it's written is "What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?" This OBVIOUSLY means that what follows directly refers to SALVATION, not showing anything....Let's continue. The way it's written is:

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?"

Well, Jethro, was he justified in a soterological sense by his works?

"You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone."

Couldn't be more clear, especially taking into consideration that EVERY REFERENCE in Paul's letters to "faith vs. works" which you have been citing except one, is in the DIRECT CONTEXT OF THE JEWISH LAW. This fact, and the historical fact that the first heresy in the early Church dealt with Gentile circumcision, should tell anyone with an open mind that justification is not by faith alone. When Paul says "works don't save" he is speaking of works of the Jewish law, like in Acts 15. This is painfully obvious.

It's so abundantly clear from the context of James' discourse, and the example he uses, that he is speaking of showing your faith as real and able to save by what you do, not your works being able to make you righteous and save you.
Not if you rightly divide the word, the entire word, by actually taking into consideration that the example he uses (Abraham) was NOT justified once and for all, but three times over the course of his life. This proves, beyond any doubt, that justification is a process, not a one time event.

Where does Scripture talk about "quality" of faith? Answer: It doesn't.

Actually, it does.

There is the faith that believes God and the gospel are real. That belief never saved a single soul. That isn't enough to be saved. You must believe that Christ's blood will cover you on the Day of Wrath.

Demons know better than you and I that God exists, and even that Jesus is the Messiah! (But they are not saved):

33 In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 34 “Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!â€

35 “Be quiet!†Jesus said sternly. “Come out of him!â€
(Luke 4:33-35 NIV)

Now, do you think for a minute that the 'faith' this demon had was sufficient to save him? Of course not. The faith that is sufficient to save is the faith that Jesus' blood has been applied to your sins to atone for those sins.

Demons definitely don't have that 'kind' of faith. They, like a lot of people, merely believe that God exists, and can even state with certainty that Jesus is the Messiah. But that is an insufficient faith to save a person. It's only until you hope and trust in the atoning power of the blood that your faith (in that blood) will save you. Faith that Jesus' blood covers your sins is the faith that is sufficient to save, not the faith that God is real, or even that the gospel is real.

Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine
"Those works VALIDATING the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works."

You said:
"14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other." (1 John 3:14 NIV)

Love is the evidence that you have passed from death to life.

"17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?" (1 John 3:17 NIV)

Here we see it from the reverse view. John is saying how can you say you have the love of God in you if that love does not go out from you to others? Again, love being the validating evidence of a saving relationship with God.

'Faith' is a life long, on-going process.

You must continue to believe and trust that your sins are forgiven in Christ Jesus to the very end to be delivered (saved) on the Day of Wrath. The Holy Spirit is the sign, or seal that you are trusting in Christ's work on the cross for the forgiveness of sin. The Holy Spirit is the sign of the Covenant. The fruit of that indwelling Holy Spirit is the proof and evidence that you are in Covenant with God through the blood of Jesus Christ. You must possess the Holy Spirit on the Day of Wrath to be delivered through the Judgment. Your continued faith in the blood of Christ for your forgiveness is how you stay covered by the seal of the Holy Spirit for the Day of Wrath. The fruit, or works of the Spirit are how you know that you are doing that.

Look at your last scriptural quote. I'm glad you're okay with the NIV translation:

A person is not made righteous by what they do. They are shown, or considered to be righteous by what they do. Works only 'save' in the sense that they show, or prove, you have faith in God's forgiveness. Nobody is declared right with God through works. People are declared righteous by their faith and trust in God's forgiveness, their works then giving testimony to the righteousness they have received by faith in Christ's blood. Just as Abraham's obedience testified to the genuineness of his faith in God's promise to bless him through the giving of a son.

If God considers a person to be righteous, he is indeed righteous, regardless of what any man thinks.

God gives a measure of faith [an ability to believe in Him] to every single person He creates.

A righteous person can become unrighteous by what he chooses to do or by what he chooses to not do.

If Abraham had not obeyed God's command to sacrifice his son, he would not have continued to be righteous.

What happens to professed believers who do not obey His commandments? They deny Jesus Christ by their evil works.

Titus 1:16 NKJV
They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.

What does Jesus do when Christians deny Him by their evil works?

Matthew 10:33 NKJV
But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Jesus denies that He knows these evil-doers. These evil-doers are not permitted/not approved to enter into eternal life.

Luke 13:23-28 (NIV)
23 Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”
He said to them, 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’
“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.
26 “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’
27 “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’
28 “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

What are professing Christians called who do not obey God's commandments?

1 John 2:4 NKJV
He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

These professing Christians are called liars.

What happens to all liars?

Revelation 21:8 NKJV
But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

All these evil-doing professing Christians will be cast into hell to be with their father Satan, the father of all liars, for eternity.

James meant what he said:

James 2:24 (ESV)
24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

I know this subject has been hashed a thousand times before, but many people are still confused by the apparent contradiction. I've explained the congruence before but William Bacon Stevens puts it nicely.

- Davies

Both apostles are right!

(William Bacon Stevens, "Waiting and Watching!")

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?" James 2:14

The religion of Jesus Christ is made up of two parts--faith and works.
Faith is the root of works.
Works are the fruit of faith.

A belief, however true and pure, if it is accepted only by the intellect, and is not carried out into practice--translating the faith held by the mind, into active duties--is a barren faith, which will not be accepted by God, and which will not secure salvation.

On the other hand, works, however good, which do not spring out of faith in the Lord Jesus, but which are done merely from human and worldly motives--are of no avail before God, because "whatever is not of faith, is sin."

Thrice has James told us, "Faith without works is dead!"
And just as distinctly has Paul declared, "By the works of the law, shall no flesh be justified in His sight."

Both apostles are right!

Works without faith--have no living root.
Faith without works--has no authenticating fruit.

They are the two parts of the one tree, namely, the root and the fruit. They are the two halves of the one whole--together they make up the true Christian.

"In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by works, is dead!" James 2:17

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

Actually, it does.

There is the faith that believes God and the gospel are real. That belief never saved a single soul. That isn't enough to be saved. You must believe that Christ's blood will cover you on the Day of Wrath.

Demons know better than you and I that God exists, and even that Jesus is the Messiah! (But they are not saved):

33 In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 34 “Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!â€

35 “Be quiet!†Jesus said sternly. “Come out of him!â€
(Luke 4:33-35 NIV)

Hummm... I don't think of mere belief in something as "faith". I believe, without actually seeing it, that the Earth revolves around the sun, however I wouldn't call that "faith". I think Scripture teaches that faith means more than intellectual assent (which is what the demons have in James 2), by it's very nature. It includes within it a trusting and giving of yourself to the object of that faith. That's why I don't see any degrees or quality of faith. Faith is by it's nature accepting and giving, as opposed to belief which can be mere intellectual assent.

Now, do you think for a minute that the 'faith' this demon had was sufficient to save him? Of course not. The faith that is sufficient to save is the faith that Jesus' blood has been applied to your sins to atone for those sins.

OK. I just don't believe the "belief" is the same thing as the "faith" that James tells us does not save. The Greek bears this out. From Thayer's:

The word used for "belief by James in 2:19 is pisteuō

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
a) of the thing believed
1) to credit, have confidence
b) in a moral or religious reference
1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith
3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
a) to be intrusted with a thing

AV — believe 239, commit unto 4, commit to (one's) trust 1, be committed unto 1, be put in trust with 1, be commit to one's trust 1, believer 1

The word for "faith" used by James in the rest of the passages is pistis.

1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
a) relating to God
1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
b) relating to Christ
1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
c) the religious beliefs of Christians
d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
a) the character of one who can be relied on

AV — faith 239, assurance 1, believe + 1537 1, belief 1, them that believe 1, fidelity 1

Although one definition of the word pisteou (belief) is "saving faith", the majority of definitions (239 times) refer to generic belief. Contrast this to the definition of the word pistis (faith), which actually means "faith" (239 times) and strongly refers to belief in God and Jesus with trust and conviction.

If James were really trying to make the point that the "belief" that the demons have doesn't save, but "true faith" does, why didn't he simply use this word throughout and not confuse his readers?

It's obvious that when James says we are not justified by FAITH (pistis), he means belief in God with conviction and trust, not a mere intellectual assent like the demons have, otherwise pisteuo would have been used.

Demons definitely don't have that 'kind' of faith. They, like a lot of people, merely believe that God exists, and can even state with certainty that Jesus is the Messiah. But that is an insufficient faith to save a person. It's only until you hope and trust in the atoning power of the blood that your faith (in that blood) will save you. Faith that Jesus' blood covers your sins is the faith that is sufficient to save, not the faith that God is real, or even that the gospel is real.

What you are describing above is what I (and Thayers) considers pistis, faith, as opposed to belief, mere intellectual assent.

One more thing I forgot to mention regarding the kind or the quality of faith James is referring to. It would have to be what you would consider "saving faith" because James makes reference to Abraham's faith, and we all know his was a "saving faith".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other." (1 John 3:14 NIV)

Love is the evidence that you have passed from death to life.

"17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?" (1 John 3:17 NIV)

Here we see it from the reverse view. John is saying how can you say you have the love of God in you if that love does not go out from you to others? Again, love being the validating evidence of a saving relationship with God.

I don't see any mention of a "declaration of righteousness" in John's letter. What you said was: "Those works VALIDATING the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works."

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. What you seem to be saying is that faith alone, being validated by works, is sufficient to save a person with a declaration of that same faith. A person must declare his faith. Am I reading you right?

I don't see any mention of a "declaration of righteousness" in John's letter. What you said was: "Those works VALIDATING the faith that produced them as sufficient to save them by a declaration of righteousness, apart from their works."

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. What you seem to be saying is that faith alone, being validated by works, is sufficient to save a person with a declaration of that same faith. A person must declare his faith. Am I reading you right?
The faith, all by itself (apart from works) through which God declares a person righteous and free from guilt is the faith that changes a person into a new creation who obeys God's commands. The works don't change you into a new creation. Your faith in the forgiveness of God does.

A person must show his faith through what he does for the faith, or belief, of the person to be validated as a faith that can save them. Saving faith changes a person. If you aren't changed by what you believe...well...you may not be a new creation in Christ. Your faith may not be genuine. You may not have really received the forgiveness of God.

Whoever believed and was baptized has already received God's forgiveness for his past sins. He was made righteous/justified by his faith and baptism.

Mark 16:16 NKJV
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

But, now the baptized person must continue in the faith until he dies if he wants to be approved to inherit eternal life.

Acts 14:21-23 (NKJV)
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.” 23 So when they had appointed elders in every church, and prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

The person who continues to believe (which means he continues to obey God's command's) until he dies will inherit eternal life. Disobedience is equated with unbelief in Scripture.

Hebrews 3:18-19 (NKJV)
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

The Israelites who did not obey God were not approved/allowed to enter into the Promised Land. All people who do not obey God will not be approved/allowed to enter into Paradise.

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 (NKJV)
7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Pride causes the fall from grace for many men. The love of money causes the fall from grace for many men.

1 Timothy 3:1-6 (NKJV)
3 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil.

1 Timothy 6:10 (NKJV)
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Corinthians 10:11-13 (NKJV)
11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

A person falls from grace whenever he sins mortal (spiritually deadly) sins. The Holy Spirit will not inhabit a soul/heart that has been defiled by mortal sin.

A person will be condemned to hell if he does not continue to believe/obey until he dies. If he falls from the state of grace through sin/unbelief and is not reinstated in grace before he dies through confession and repentance, he will not inherit eternal life.

I think it's time to close this down. We've been hearing the same arguments repeated enough and we're going nowhere.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back