Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Browns backers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm wondering why we only got a five year contract?

This could hurt us down the road. Generally, you offer the big signing bonus and in return get seven years, which are not garenteed. If Edwards pans out, then we have him under contract for seven years, but if he doesn't, we eat the signing bonus and cut him. He got the signing bonus plus the short contract, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Am I missing something?

Dave

I'm not real sure which side pushed for 5 years but I agree thats kind of short for a first round draft choice.

Alright, time to make my annual Browns football prediction fool out of myself.

I think that in spite of the lack of overall talent on this team, the new coaching staff will allow some gems to shine, where under Butch, they could not.

I expect the improvements on the offensive line, though not major, to improve our offense immensely. If it works out how I think it will, we will be a top ten rushing team, more because of our commitment to the run, then it being all ability.

Passing will be better because of the run game, but i'm not putting much stock in Dilfer. We won't see a great passing game until Frye is ready.

Special teams should be great.

Defense will be a bend but don't break D. Though they will occasionally break also. I expect much of the same as what we had in "99"-"00". A big play defense that relies heavily on schemes and those schemes will be solved by some of the better coaches in the league.

This is a one step backwards, for a two steps forwards move next year.

I predict we will 4 games, but the play will be better than last year over all. If, by some strange chance Frye moves into the starting role for at least eight games, I think that we can get about 6 wins. But at the same time the losses will be worse because of rookie errors.

0-2 against the Steelers

1-1 against the Ravens. I expect the Ravens to fall apart this year.

1-1 against the Bengals.

4-12 or 6-10 if Frye plays half the season.

Well, here is my opinion of the season. I think our defense is going to struggle a lot early this season. By late November and early December we might start getting some of our reward out of the 3-4 system (providing our LBs stay healthy.... most importantly Andra Davis). Offensively we will struggle and but our running game will be a bit better than last year with Suggs and Droughns taking turns with an occasionally burst from Willie. Our passing game will be decent because I really think our WRs are decent when the QB can get them the ball at the right times. However I still think our o-line is going to struggle pass blocking and Dilfer is going to make some mistakes of his own trying to force the ball. This is his chance to re-establish himself as not just a 'clock management/don't turn the ball over' QB and so he will mess up more than what people might think. I think he will be up and down..... mostly down early on. If he avoids injury and getting benched, I really think he will get better as the season goes on. Thats not to say winning games won't be ugly sometimes.

0-2 Steelers (They've pretty much owned us as much as I hate it. They aren't going to be a 15-1 monster this year, Roethlisburger will hit a sophomore slump (maybe not a bad one but teams will have a better answer for him). Their new TE will help though.)

0-2 Ravens (Their season depends on how Boller plays. I think with Fassel as the OC we will get a better look at what he can do. I still think we will struggle against the run... so Jamel Lewis will be tough to stop.

1-1 Bengals (I think its possible we can steal one from the Bengals and I think it might happen in the season opener. The Bengals are notorious for starting slowly and I think our team will be awfully hungry for a win. But come December, watch out for those Bengals. I think they will be a very dangerous team once they catch fire.

5-11 record & another top 5 in April.

Frye to Edwards.....TD!!! :lol:

Jameson grabs the lateral and returns it for a TD too. :)

How long before Frye moves up to b/u QB?! I think at some point we will see Frye start a game this season before its over.

I think that sutan McCullough is our best back right now. Say good bye to Frismon Jackson. Rideau and the QB/wide receiver from Kent state should both stay.

I'm liking Frye more and more every game. We may have a young Bret Favre on our hands. Minus the great arm, of course.

Andre' Davis traded to the Patriots for an undisclosed future draft pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=2140217

CLEVELAND -- Wide receiver Andre' Davis was traded to the New England Patriots by the Cleveland Browns for an undisclosed draft pick Monday.

Davis, who has been mentioned in trade talks for several months, became expendable after the Browns drafted rookie Braylon Edwards, and Antonio Bryant and Dennis Northcutt both emerged during training camp.

Davis had also lost his job as the club's No. 1 kick returner to rookie Joshua Cribbs.

The 26-year-old Davis was already in New England when the Patriots announced the deal.

Last week, the Browns gave Davis and his agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade. The Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks also expressed interest in Davis.

McGuire didn't immediately return a phone message.

Davis was selected in the second round (No. 47 overall) of the 2002 draft by former Browns coach Butch Davis, who thought the former Virginia Tech track star's speed would open things up for Cleveland's offense.

However, injuries have slowed Davis' development.

Because of a nagging toe injury, he started only seven games and had 16 receptions for 416 yards and two touchdowns last season. One of those TDs was a 99-yarder from Jeff Garcia, the longest pass play in Browns history.

Davis' days seemed numbered in Cleveland when first-year Browns coach Romeo Crennel said the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder was having "an average camp."

Davis, who is eligible for free agency next year, got off to a strong start as a rookie with Cleveland. He scored a TD in his first three games, becoming just the sixth rookie since 1970 to begin his career that way.

In 2003, Davis had 40 catches for 576 yards and five TDs.

McCullough didn't look bad although I doubt he'd have the same success against first and second team defenses. Droughns looked good and is a load to bring down.

I liked Andre Davis but am glad to see him go to a team that will use him. He is a nice pickup for the Patriots. Despite his problems with injuries, he is an underrated wr. The way Brady can throw those accurate deep balls, Davis is going to be a real threat over there. I figured he'd be the guy to go because Bryant is playing awesome and Northcutt makes a great slot guy. We all knew Edwards had to crack the lineup too.

KJ sighting. I was surprised to see KJ catching a pass on the first team offense for the Lions. He's going to be buried in the depth chart before long with Roy, Mike, and Charles Rogers all looking to play. A lot of old Browns playing with the Lions..... Holmes, Rainer, Garcia, and KJ.

There was a rumor about Chris Crocker potentially being traded to Dallas. Although it was said that Savage approached him and told him the Browns wanted to keep him. Our safety spots look a bit crowded. I think Brian Russell is cemented in at FS. That leaves Crocker and Jameson. The other side isn't so clear. Sean Jones and Brodney Pool fight over that job.

Also, not much was said about it but we signed Ray Mickens (former Jet CB) to help add some depth to the secondary. He didn't play agains the Lions but will likely get in some snaps against the Panthers.

Did you notice how slow D backs were getting up after Droughns slammed them? I'll bet a whole game of him smashing up the middle would get to most teams eventually.

Well, I think they need to bring Alston back or put Frisman Jackson in on kick returns. I'm not sure about Cribbs, he has a lot of issues with ball security.

Droughns did a great job on KR but we can't afford to wear him down when he needs to start at RB. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to putting Green back there on KR. It might help him work on his vision and a finding the holes.

Dilfer needs to make better decisions. At times he looked great and at times he looked horrible. I'm glad they haven't started calling for his head because I think he when he gets more time in will be good for the team. I still think Frye will start at some point later this year, even if for only a game or so.

Our secondary needs to mend, we need 'Cutch and Baxter in there. Our DB's didn't play horribly, I give a lot of credit to the Bengals WRs because they are all really good. I also think Chaun Thompson can ultimately be the leader on this team. He seems to step up more than Andra Davis.

We have a shot this week against the Packers. It would be great to win up there in Lambeau even though their team is in pretty rough shape. Its always an accomplishment to win up there.

Our biggest weakness seems to be our D line, to me anyways. No play makers.

I have a gut feeling that Frye will play this week. Not because of Dilfer being benched, but because I think Green Bays D line is going to knock Dilfer around a little bit. I don't know if he can take too much of that at his age.

I'd bring back CJ Jones for kick returns if he's still available. If I remember corectly, a few years back he did very well returning kicks in the pre season. He could also back up Northcut as the small speedy receiver.

I watched the game a few times now. My second impression was much better than the first. The o line did great, for who we have. Dilfer wasn't looking off the safeties and was staring down receivers a little to much for my liking. I expect some of that on a three step drop and pass, but he does it a lot. A mobile QB is what we need, but i'd rather save Frye for next year and get a good slot in the draft. We're not winning the super bowl this year any ways.

Our D backfield will look bad because we have no pass rush at all. I'm very happy with some of our younger backs stepping up. Even some of butch's guys are doing well.

If we don't beat GB, we will probably be picking in the top five in the 2006 draft. I want to win, but I want the pick too. :smt017

I could never get bored of seeing Braylon smoke that Green Bay secondary. Incredible seperation speed!!

This coming week is the week to be worried about a QB injury. Dwight Freeney is a monster and they'd better keep two guys on him most of the game. I realize we don't have much of a chance at beating the Colts, but it would be nice to be competative. We can't stack the line but we can't sacrifice our run defense cuz Edge is looking very good this year.

We should win this week. I'd like to see the Browns stand up to the Ravens and not let them push us around anymore. Last year Lewis was trying to rip off Willie Green's helmet five seconds after the whistle blew, more than a few times.

I had to raise an eyebrow seeing the line Ravens by 6. I figured Ravens by 2 1/2 or 3 would be more realistic. I have no doubts they will be up for this game. I'm just wondering how they plan on scoring points with no offense. We will stack the line and stop Jamel Lewis and make Wright throw the football. It would have been helpful to have Braylon for this game but Frisman has shown he has the ability to step up for us. The Ravens secondary is one of the best and experienced too, but it does have weak spots. I expect a very physical, high teens/low twenties scoring game. We win this one and we have a shot at winning a few more in a row coming up.

Well, we stunk the place up. :lol: We seem to have problems matching up with the bigger, more physical teams of the AFC North. I still thought that we could take them, but it wasn't in the cards. It looked like we were intimidated by them from the first snap. This loss is bitter sweet. I want the high draft pick, but can't root against my Brownies on Sunday.

Vegas obviously knew something to set the line so high. At least this loss brings us back to earth and reminds us we still have a lot of work to do. If we beat them later in the year at home that will make this loss a bit easier to swallow. In my opinion the Ravens are still a bad and poorly coached team.

Is it Fryeday yet?! We need to get him some playing time to see if we have any worries about him being the man next season. As far as the rest of the year goes, I really don't care if we lose the rest of the games. I'd like to have a shot at grabbing Reggie Bush because I really think he is an LT caliber RB. He will be a great pro. There is also Leinart, maybe Vince Young and Marcus Vick at QB if we need to go that route.

I'm thinking draft also, though I believe if we put off our offensive line for yet another year we might as well pack it if for the next ten years. I'd like to get D'brickashaw Ferguson if he's there and weighs in over 300 lbs.

I'm a little worried about Bush, he seems to rely on his speed too much. He can get away with that in college, but in the pros he needs more. He gets some pretty good holes to run through and when he gets by the LOS he simply out runs the linebackers and d-backs. He seems a little soft. It's probably because he's only doing what is needed, trying to stay healthy. Still, i'd hate to draft a faster version of William Green. The thing about LT is that he's a deceptively strong runner, very powerful. I haven't really seen that from Bush. Though, I have to admit that i've only seen USC in a few games this year. Is this just something that Bush needs to grow into or is he truly limited? I don't know. That's why i think there may be a little (not a lot) risk factor with Bush. Then, I can't help but think of Tatum Bell, Julius Jones, etc. Second round, or lower, picks and these are some solid backs. Both have good offensive lines. There are a ;ot of good backs in the league that are lower round picks. I think Droughn would be top notch if he had more speed. He's not that bad now.

Leinart, I don't know, something funny about that guy. I'm getting the impression that he's either not too bright, or that he's lazy. i'm probably wrong, it's just the impression I get. He's got that California "Ridgemont high" surfer dude thing going. He may end up like Ricky Williams.

I'm thinking Ferguson all the way with our first pick. That's just me. All the talent we have on this team will be long gone before we ever make a run, if we don't take care of the offensive line this next draft.

I think we would have won a lot of the games we lost if Frye were playing. , but I'd rather that he sat out for the year. I can see them putting him in late in the year just to give him a taste.

Iv'e always said, Bilicheck teams, when they're not contending, they're picking high in the draft. That's smart football. I think Crennel is following the plan. Fans will stop crying when we spend some of our money on some free agents in the off season.

All in all, we have improved, maybe just a QB away from being 8-8. When we had Butch, most of the close games that we had were because teams would blow us out, then let us back in the game playing prevent, trading clock for points. But now, we are legitimately in all our games.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back