Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Browns backers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, at first i thought, to bad. But after reading his quotes in the PD, he sounds like a stand up guy that is kind of stuck in a hard place. I guess it all depends on whether or not the Browns promised him that they would renegotiate. We're not going anywhere for two more years, but we do have Green. I'd give him some incentives, and maybe a half a Mil more for the first year. If that's not enough, then I'd feature Green and try to improve his trade value.

I never used to believe in curses....but :sad . Depending on how Edwards does, we might just want to trade out of the 1st round of every draft from here on out.

I know what you mean. :crying:

I have a question for you. Let's say that Winslow loses his signing bonus and pay for this year, but we keep him on the team. Now, next year he is well enough to play, but clearly isn't anywhere near what he was as far as what he is capable of doing on the field. Also, it is clear that this decline is not just rust, but is due to the accident that he had. By letting him back on the field in 2006, do we forfeit our right to tare up the contract because of his accident, thereby leaving us stuck with at least one more year of regular pay, plus the balance of the signing bonus?

In other words, could we be forced to trade/cut him because the risk is too high?

I'm not sure, a lot of times these cap situations get very confusing. Especially when the player is clearly in breach of his contract. It may be necessary to work out something along the lines of what you are talking about.

Overall, I think they are waiting on his future prognosis. I think they want to know is he going to be able to play at or near his ability again or not and how soon if he can. If not, he's not worth the money he's getting and he'll most likely get cut sooner rather than later. Otherwise, if he is expected to make a full recovery then I believe the front office will be very careful how they go about the money issue. I think the key is they want to be as sure as possible. I think with that being said, the ball is in his (KW's) court. I really think despite what the Postons may be telling him, he needs to step up and be man. Admit he was wrong and openly acknowledge he is willing to work this out and basically take his lumps. Whether that happens or not is a lot to expect, but I think it would go a long way with the FO if he did. There is no doubt they want to keep him, but is future health and his character will determine that.

Still nothing is confirmed, but the rumors are getting worse and worse. Did you read that story on the Plain Dealer about the kinds of stunts Winslow was trying to learn and attempting to do? There really is nothing I can do but shake my head. Unbelievable. :roll:

I'm assuming the worst. I'll bet his dad breaks all of his remaining unbroken bones.

We should trade Faine too, before something happens.

You'd think they'd give us some answers on KW by now. :roll: His MRI results are supposed to be back today.

That's what I heard. What date do they have to decide by? Or when do they lose the option of cutting him to save this years pay?

I pretty much expected that with the length of time he was at the Cleveland Clinic. My fear was and still is that its a very bad tear, I guess we'll have to wait until they do the surgery and they give a prognosis for his recovery.

Looks their gonna take some money back from Kellen. I hear its going to be between 2 and 3 million. It sounds like they are going to make it possible (incentives) for him to earn in back down the road. I think thats very generous.

Kellen released a press statement:
STATEMENT FROM
KELLEN WINSLOW II

"I want to first and foremost thank the Cleveland Browns organization, the coaching staff, medical staff, my teammates and fans of the Cleveland Browns who have continued to pray for my recovery. I cannot express how moved I am by the support and words of encouragement I have received from all over the country.

"To those members of the Cleveland Browns family who I have disappointed by my decision to ride a motorcycle, I humbly apologize. In hindsight it was unwise to attempt to learn to ride a motorcycle without a professional instructor in a controlled environment. While many of you are disappointed that I will not be on the field with my teammates for this upcoming season, no one is more disappointed in this fact than me.

"I worked extremely hard to recover from last season's injury. To the entire Cleveland Browns family, I pledge to work twice as hard to recover from the injuries sustained from my motorcycle accident."

Source: Cleveland Browns

Very generous. I hope he stays out of trouble.

Hear anything about the free agent D-end from the Ravens? He sounded interested in the Browns, and now we may have the money to pay him.

No, I haven't heard about any other Ravens except for Boulware. I'm not really all that interested in getting him either. We don't need another Courtney Brown. It appears however, that they are bringing in Ty Law and if they feel his foot is going to be ok they might take a shot at him. Hopefully they are going show interest and bring in the OL Shelton who was released by the Cards.

Even more reason to go after Shelton. Verba nor Tucker deserve any more money. I'm not a fan of anybody on our OL from last year except Jeff Faine. Over the next year or two, he's probably going to be the only survivor from Butch's era.

Who is Shelton and what do you know about him?

Ty Law wouldn't be a bad pick up if he hasn't signed with anyone yet, but I wonder who would be benched so he could play?

Faine may have been a victim of bad guard play. We'll find out this year. Our line did get better in the middle when Fowler stepped in at the end of the year. I hope Faine pans out, we can't afford another bust.

Shelton is a solid left tackle who is better than anything we've had since.... well in a long time. It sounded like he had some problems playing for Dennis Green and I believe it was mostly because the Cards refused to rework his contract. He's got his money now, and if he plays well we may not need to use our first rounder next year on a franchise LT.

Ty Law's signing would depend on if he's fully recovered and he would cut into 'Cutch's playing time a little bit. I don't think it would be enough to create a problem though. Daylon has played very well over the last few years despite not always matching up size wise. Daylon will be on the field a lot anyway. With a healthy Ty Law, its going to help our 3-4 grow quickly by creating coverage sacks. Any kind of sacks boost the confidence of a defense, and it could lead to a monster D in the making. I love defense. Just think, if our defense plays really well, you know Marvin Lewis isn't content with a mediocre D in Cincinnati, and the Ravens and Steelers are always tough, it could be a very bruising division the next few years.

I think Faine will play better with better talent and veteran leadership around him. Now that we've signed Shelton, Verba has no leverage in his holdout. So its either sit on the bench and be a backup or sit out and we take money back for breach of contract. Even if we trade him we'd most likely get another pick for next years draft. Things are looking very good for the OL for once, I'm excited. Its going to be neat to see the 3 RB's compete for the job. With a solid line, Suggs will show us more of what he can do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back