Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Caffiene Is Evil

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I drink enough caffeine to make the entire Mormon church stand outside my house to pray for me. :lol

But, I'm a coffee snob. Only one brand will do. Starbucks. And it's not just the marketing that pulls me in. It's the only coffee I've had that doesn't break down when it gets room temperature. Most brands go from tasting terrific to tasting like sewer water when they cool off, but Starbucks stays heavenly. I drink it black with no sugar. We buy the beans and brew it at home, and I use twice the directed amount of grounds per pot. I like it to ooze out of the mug. So, my mug holds 5 cups, and I leave for work every morning with it.

When that's done, I start on my first of ~6 cans of Diet Coke per day. I know, I know... I'm killing myself from the inside. I don't smoke, and I rarely drink alcohol, so this is my guilty pleasure. I get the shameful looks from people all the time. And ya know what? I'm over it. :)

Kids, don't try this at home. :biggrin

I drink enough caffeine to make the entire Mormon church stand outside my house to pray for me. :lol

But, I'm a coffee snob. Only one brand will do. Starbucks. And it's not just the marketing that pulls me in. It's the only coffee I've had that doesn't break down when it gets room temperature. Most brands go from tasting terrific to tasting like sewer water when they cool off, but Starbucks stays heavenly. I drink it black with no sugar. We buy the beans and brew it at home, and I use twice the directed amount of grounds per pot. I like it to ooze out of the mug. So, my mug holds 5 cups, and I leave for work every morning with it.

When that's done, I start on my first of ~6 cans of Diet Coke per day. I know, I know... I'm killing myself from the inside. I don't smoke, and I rarely drink alcohol, so this is my guilty pleasure. I get the shameful looks from people all the time. And ya know what? I'm over it. :)

Kids, don't try this at home. :biggrin

Mike:

LOL, your reference to the 'Latter Day Saints'.

Did you ever smoke, maybe? and do you maybe see any comparisons with nicotine?

Blessings.

Mike:

LOL, your reference to the 'Latter Day Saints'.

Did you ever smoke, maybe? and do you maybe see any comparisons with nicotine?

Blessings.

How do you mean by comparing them? The "addiction" or the (alleged) negative effects of my beverages on my health? Honestly, I couldn't tell you if they compare in terms of addiction, because I've never smoked, and I've never cared to try and stop drinking Diet Coke (mmmmmm... Diet Coke). I truly do believe I drink the both just for the taste of it, just for the wow of it, just for the now of it, Diet Coke!

In other words, I can't reckon that I do see a comparison. :)

How do you mean by comparing them? The "addiction" or the (alleged) negative effects of my beverages on my health? Honestly, I couldn't tell you if they compare in terms of addiction, because I've never smoked, and I've never cared to try and stop drinking Diet Coke (mmmmmm... Diet Coke). I truly do believe I drink the both just for the taste of it, just for the wow of it, just for the now of it, Diet Coke!

Mike:

Fair enough, ty.

Seems to me that some folk in the Fundamentalist camp would try to explain reasons why coffee isn't 'really' addictive, or if it is, why there are no supposed theological objections, as defined by them, to liking caffeine, as opposed to liking nicotine.

Blessings.

Mike:

Fair enough, ty.

Seems to me that some folk in the Fundamentalist camp would try to explain reasons why coffee isn't 'really' addictive, or if it is, why there are no supposed theological objections, as defined by them, to liking caffeine, as opposed to liking nicotine.

Blessings.

Listen, farouk. Don't take this from me. Give me caffeine. I'll never be wealthy, I'm nothing to look at, my 17 year old son could woop me if he wasn't afraid of his mother, so I'll never turn heads at the beach. I'm not smart, and I'm not very nice. I'm not funny. I have no hair, because it got to the point where I could either be mistaken for George Castanza or shave what little is left and be mistaken for Terry O'Quinn. Okay, so I'll never be mistaken for Terry O'Quinn, but that's the look I'm going for.

What I'm saying is please don't take coffee and Diet Coke from me, because as you can see, I'd have nothing left. (glub)

Truth is Jesus loves me, I have a beautiful wife of 22 years whom I love, and 3 amazing kids. So my sob story was a little embellished, but please, don't take my coffee and Diet Coke from me.

Listen, farouk. Don't take this from me. Give me caffeine. I'll never be wealthy, I'm nothing to look at, my 17 year old son could woop me if he wasn't afraid of his mother, so I'll never turn heads at the beach. I'm not smart, and I'm not very nice. I'm not funny. I have no hair, because it got to the point where I could either be mistaken for George Castanza or shave what little is left and be mistaken for Terry O'Quinn. Okay, so I'll never be mistaken for Terry O'Quinn, but that's the look I'm going for.

What I'm saying is please don't take coffee and Diet Coke from me, because as you can see, I'd have nothing left. (glub)

Truth is Jesus loves me, I have a beautiful wife of 22 years whom I love, and 3 amazing kids. So my sob story was a little embellished, but please, don't take my coffee and Diet Coke from me.

Mike: :)

I'm not trying to do anything of the sort.

I just trying to figure whether some of the talk about nicotine is based on wonky theological premises, if by the same token caffeine, consumed in huge quantities by many of those with a Fundamentalist mindset, is excluded from such theological adumbrations.

Blessings.

I only drink coffee sometimes (not a big fan of it), but I must admit that I love Dr. Pepper. If we had it in the house more often, I'd likely drink way more soda than is good for me. I love Root Beer, too.
I drink tea sometimes.

Give me hot chocolate any day. My mother calls it 'soil' but I love it!

I can only drink coffee if it's instant. Less 'aroma' fumes than the 'real' stuff.

I truly do believe I drink the both just for the taste of it, just for the wow of it, just for the now of it, Diet Coke!

You have any idea how many substance abusers come into my office and say the same thing about cocaine, meth, marijuana, alcohol? :hysterical

Sorry. Should have treated your comment with the "sobriety" it demanded. :toofunny

PS: The answer to my question to you is "All of 'em."

I've been off the stuff for two weeks now - and I have GOT to say that I should have done this years ago.

I ramped down for about a week from: Two to four cups of coffee each day, plus 4 to 6 Cokes/Dr Peppers/Pibb Extras as well.

I am now sleeping better, waking naturally, and no longer have that "oh, crap, where is the coffee..." dragging feeling anymore! :shades My emotions and nerves have evened out as well. Also, the afternoon "Coke and a Snickers Bar" habit is gone! By not drinking so many sugary-caffiene drinks, I no longer crave chocolate and other junk like I did.

While I DID start Yoga classes a week ago, I attribute most of my improvements to stopping caffiene. (Yoga has helped my back IMMENSELY).

I don't see myself EVER going back to caffeine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518058-the-disadvantages-of-caffeine/

I wonder if the reduction in sugar is helping you the most. From the things you listed above you had alot in your diet.

I don't consume any sugar but enjoy a few cups of coffee per day. I feel fine and don't tend to crave carbs.

I wonder if the reduction in sugar is helping you the most. From the things you listed above you had alot in your diet.

I don't consume any sugar but enjoy a few cups of coffee per day. I feel fine and don't tend to crave carbs.

P31Woman: Do you kind of crave caffeine, so to speak?

Did you ever smoke as well? have cravings for nicotine? (I've given up both nicotine and coffee, you see.)

Blessings.

P31Woman: Do you kind of crave caffeine, so to speak?

Did you ever smoke as well? have cravings for nicotine? (I've given up both nicotine and coffee, you see.)

Blessings.

I desire coffee. I don't believe I crave caffeine. I smoked most of my life. After being on Chantex for a few days I never really craved to smoke again. Smoke free July 9, 2009.

I desire coffee. I don't believe I crave caffeine. I smoked most of my life. After being on Chantex for a few days I never really craved to smoke again. Smoke free July 9, 2009.

P31Woman:

Do you really see a deep and fundamental difference between caffeine and nicotine?

I certainly don't criticize coffee drinkers. Neither would I hold it against anyone who likes a cigarette from time to time (though I have given up both). Neither do I follow the theological contortions of those who try to prove why caffeine is, or isn't, theologically 'benign' but not nicotine.

Two cents'.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to go through at least a pot of coffee a day.... I still have my morning coffee (I drink it and ENJOY it, instead of trying to pump as much caffiene in me as possible), and a diet coke or two in the afternoon. But it's a good thing cut back on, if not eliminate it altogether. For a while, I was even mixing decaf with regular, thus cutting caffiene in half, and still enjoying my cup of joe.... I may go back to that, come to think of it.

Nice job, Pizzaguy!

Well, the reduction in sugar sure helps, but I am CONVINCED the caffeine is most of it.
I say this because of a friend who does not, and never has, liked soft drinks but who consumed way too much coffee. He quite coffee/caffeine and reports the same findings.
Excessive caffeine in very hard on the over-50 prostate!

I must say, the reduction in sugar has helped with my weight.

Back