Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can an unbeliever speak in tongues?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In that case can a backslidden man/woman speak in tongues?
Short answer: Yes. I've heard testimony from Christians who have spoken of this - and they said that even though they were backslidden they continued to prayer in the Spirit, in an unknown language. They have said that this was a major part of their being able to get through their trials, - knowing that the Holy Spirit was giving them the perfect prayers to speak.

1 Corinthians 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself . . . . .

In writing to the church at Corinth, Paul encouraged them to continue the practice of speaking with other tongues in their worship of God and in their prayer lives as a means of spiritual edification or building up. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" (1 Cor. 14:2).

Paul is saying here that God has given to the church a divine, supernatural means of communication with Himself. In the 14th verse of this chapter Paul stated, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful." Notice that he said, "my spirit prayeth." The Amplified translation adds, "My spirit (by the Holy Spirit within me) prays." God is Spirit. When we pray in tongues, our spirit is in direct contact with God, who is Spirit. We are talking to Him.

No, we read them, study them and digest them. It is plain to me and to countless others that the gifts were dying out as Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 13, else he would not have written the passage as he did. God does not change, but He does change the way He relates His word to us. In the OT, it was by prophetic utterance, to be recorded by scribes later. In the 400 years of silence, He communicated through the judgment He brought upon Israel. In the New Testament, He phased out the prophetic utterance and phased in the written word, which is what Paul was saying in 1 Corinthians 13 -- the gifts no longer needed to confirm the message because the messengers confirmed it through their witness and changed lives. Today, it is the same. The utterances, the tongues, the knowledge all passed away in the first century. Paul said so.

Paul said so.
Many, Christian, God loving folks, surmise that Paul says so. I see no scripture that says "The utterances, the tongues, the knowledge all passed away in the first century"...

I have been a Christian for 40years. Most of those years I have spoke in tongues as do many prominent Christians. Reba has quoted correctly, forbid not. Those of you that speak against tongues deny the scripture by taking it out of context. If you open your heart to God he can lead you to this great gift. It generally comes by the laying on of hands by those that have it.
But recall that even Baalem's ass was given speech by God. The gifts of the spirit have not ceased, and the spirit will be poured out as spoken of in Joel. Some of you speak with pride not wisdom. I am not here to argue. But to bear witness.

The Scriptures say directly

1Co_14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

This verse is not stated as clear

1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

A note here guys: I was born into a Pentecostal family grew up with tongues . I have seen much fakery over the years I have seen many blessings.... I am not taking sides here...Let the scriptures speak to each of us, we are to remain united in Him. This is not unto Salvation.

The divisions this battle causes is not good... We should not be divided. We are to be one in HIM not one in this verse or that verse.... We can be united and not be exactly the same... How big are our egos?

I can't help but think of Pizzaguys avatar.....
image.php

ΠΡΟΣ ΚΟΡΙΝΘΙΟΥΣ Α΄ 13:10
SBL Greek New Testament (SBLGNT)
<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>ὅταν δὲ ἔλθῃ τὸ τέλειον, <sup class="footnote" value='[a]'>[a]</sup>τὸ ἐκ μέρους καταργηθήσεται.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G5046&t=NASB

Thayer's Lexicon states that the bolded words above mean this,
"the perfect state of all things, to be ushered in by the return of Christ from heaven, 1 Co. xiii. 10

Matthew Henry Commentary states this,
"When the end is once attained, the means will of course be abolished. There will be no need of tongues, and prophecy, and inspired knowledge, in a future life, because then the church will be in a state of perfection, complete both in knowledge and holiness."

The link above is to the Thayer's Lexicon provided by The Blue Letter Bible
The link below is to the Ashbury Commentary at the Bible Gateway site.
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/asbury-bible-commentary/3-eternity-love

It appears to me that all three are in agreement as to 1 Corinth. 13:10

I would all suggestion reading on both in Henry and Ashbury, as to (face to face) with whom, our Lord.

Last edited by a moderator:
ΠΡΟΣ ΚΟΡΙΝΘΙΟΥΣ Α΄ 13:10
SBL Greek New Testament (SBLGNT)
<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>ὅταν δὲ ἔλθῃ τὸ τέλειον, <sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=" http:="" www.christianforums.net="" &quot;http:="" #fgrc-sblgnt-5500a&quot;"="" target="_blank">a]">[a]</sup>τὸ ἐκ μέρους καταργηθήσεται.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G5046&t=NASB

Thayer's Lexicon states that the bolded words above mean this,
"the perfect state of all things, to be ushered in by the return of Christ from heaven, 1 Co. xiii. 10

Matthew Henry Commentary states this,
"When the end is once attained, the means will of course be abolished. There will be no need of tongues, and prophecy, and inspired knowledge, in a future life, because then the church will be in a state of perfection, complete both in knowledge and holiness."

The link above is to the Thayer's Lexicon provided by The Blue Letter Bible
The link below is to the Ashbury Commentary at the Bible Gateway site.
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/asbury-bible-commentary/3-eternity-love

It appears to me that all three are in agreement as to 1 Corinth. 13:10

I would all suggestion reading on both in Henry and Ashbury, as to (face to face) with whom, our Lord.
Thayer and Henry are not inspired. They are the opinions of men, and both of these writers ignore the fact that "the perfect" is modified by a neutered verb, meaning the subject cannot be human or Christ. It is a thing. Christ is not a thing.

I'm not going to continue in this discussion. Those who wish to believe tongues and other confirming gifts did not die out in the first century, feel free to believe that. But I am being pressured here not to cause division. Those who espouse the view of continuing confirming gifts, however, are causing as much division as those of us who do not.

God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thayer and Henry are not inspired. They are the opinions of men, and both of these writers ignore the fact that "the perfect" is modified by a neutered verb, meaning the subject cannot be human or Christ. It is a thing. Christ is not a thing.

I'm not going to continue in this discussion. Those who wish to believe tongues and other confirming gifts did not die out in the first century, feel free to believe that. But I am being pressured here to to cause division. Those who espouse the view of continuing confirming gifts, however, as causing as much division as those of us who do not.

God bless.

I didn't mean to cause division either, sorry.

There is division here, and that isn't either of you guys fault. I think we will need to strive and continue toward unity until the perfect is come.

It may cause a division to speak the truth. I do not fear the truth nor need to defend an opinion. Those of you that judge tongues are judging things you do not know or understand. For one thing tongues are for edification of the speaker and others if they can receive it. Usually it is a heavenly tongue that is not directly translated although it can be. The interpretation is another spiritual gift in itself. You cannot fully understand it or it's purpose unless you have the gift yourself. It is odd to me that a good Christian would not want the greater gifts that come with the actual baptism of the spirit. The Bible says to covet the gifts. I do not judge you for your lack of faith but I do encourage you to not give up on receiving greater things from God. With tongues come other gifts that do not come without tongues such as wisdom and discernment in the spirit. I reach out to you to encourage to to come a little higher. I do not think you are required to. I am happy to fellowship with you but I will not refrain from being a witness to the truth.

We need to remember this is not a forum for debate.... :) lets keep smiling
I didn't know debate was prohibited in the General Talk forum?!?
In fact, I thought that Nick specifically said (in another thread) that it was okay. Clarification please? Who knows? I could be wrong.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back