Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Children of Unbelievers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have read all sorts of threads that debate who is saved and who is not. Reading the opinions of these post, my only thought is that I am glad that it is God who judges. If He left it up to us it seems as if we would be tossing babies into hell and allowing the enemies of the cross through the gates of heaven.

Gen 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Mal 3:18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:

Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

destiny said:
King David had a child by Bathsheba which died in infancy. David's words are significant: "While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me" (2 Samuel 12:22-23). The clear sense of this passage is that David believed that he would be reunited with his child in the next life. He knew the baby, having died, could not come back to this life, but he believed that he would go to him. While we can't be dogmatic that such a passage teaches infant salvation, yet it does seem to point in that direction.

Hmmm

ttt

destiny said:
Solo said:
The wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is everlasting life through Jesus Christ. All who have died will be resurrected and those that participate in the first resurrection will experience the corrupt putting on incorruption, and the mortal putting on immortality. All those who die physically, die because of sin, and they will be resurrected. This is not just a spiritual playing field, otherwise the body would not require a resurrection.

Jesus was resurrected bodily, and he ascended in his resurrected body.
Yes, we all die a physical death because of the original sin which happened in Eden. It sounded like you were insinuating that babies die because they (are) sinners; they did inherit a sin nature but are innocent of literal sin.
Babies are innocent of sin but not immune from the consequences of the original sin, which is physical death. None of us are.

Individuals sin because they are sinners! Babies are born sinners! All have sinned and have fallen short salvation! Only those babies who Jesus has died for will be saved. It is my understanding that Jesus has died for all babies, and that they are all sinners; why else would Jesus have had to die for them. Also, at what age do babies begin to sin? When they disobey their parents? When they lie for the first time? When they steal a cookie when told not to?

There is not one person born in the flesh who is innocent except one, and that one has died for the sins of all, including those who are babies.

Babies are not innocent, sinless creatures regardless of what our emotions tell us.

Solo said:
destiny said:
Solo said:
The wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is everlasting life through Jesus Christ. All who have died will be resurrected and those that participate in the first resurrection will experience the corrupt putting on incorruption, and the mortal putting on immortality. All those who die physically, die because of sin, and they will be resurrected. This is not just a spiritual playing field, otherwise the body would not require a resurrection.

Jesus was resurrected bodily, and he ascended in his resurrected body.
Yes, we all die a physical death because of the original sin which happened in Eden. It sounded like you were insinuating that babies die because they (are) sinners; they did inherit a sin nature but are innocent of literal sin.
Babies are innocent of sin but not immune from the consequences of the original sin, which is physical death. None of us are.

Individuals sin because they are sinners! Babies are born sinners! All have sinned and have fallen short salvation! Only those babies who Jesus has died for will be saved. It is my understanding that Jesus has died for all babies, and that they are all sinners; why else would Jesus have had to die for them. Also, at what age do babies begin to sin? When they disobey their parents? When they lie for the first time? When they steal a cookie when told not to?

There is not one person born in the flesh who is innocent except one, and that one has died for the sins of all, including those who are babies.

Babies are not innocent, sinless creatures regardless of what our emotions tell us.
Babies are born with a sin nature, but to sin is a verb (to do something/action) It means to transgress Gods laws ...disobedience.
How does an infant sin?
Only those babies who Jesus has died for will be saved.
How do you know which babies Jesus died for ...what seperates the ones He died for from the ones He didn't??
I would really like to know the answers to these questions, honestly.

The age of accountability is to understand and know the difference between right and wrong.

destiny said:
mutzrein said:
Oh dear - what happened to my post - me thinks I must have previewed and not submitted. Ooops.

Anyway I wanted to provoke thought not only on the condition of babies but all ‘innocents’ who have not been born again.

On the basis of the premise that says the good go to heaven and bad go to hell we seem to want to accommodate those we deem innocent (or good) BUT not born again.

Could it be that the premise is wrong?
I have a question concerning babies only..
Enlighten me as to how a one month old infant is to become born again? Does this baby need to repent of it's sins and ask Jesus into it's heart?? :o :o :o

No, not at all Destiny. I'm not suggesting that. What I'm suggesting is that the premise that leads people to want to think that there is another way for babies (and others who are not born again) to get to heaven, is wrong. Ask yourself. What is this premise?

destiny said:
Solo said:

Babies are born with a sin nature, but to sin is a verb (to do something/action) It means to transgress Gods laws ...disobedience.
How does an infant sin?
Only those babies who Jesus has died for will be saved.
How do you know which babies Jesus died for ...what seperates the ones He died for from the ones He didn't??
I would really like to know the answers to these questions, honestly.

The age of accountability is to understand and know the difference between right and wrong.

I am basically in agreement with you with the exception that all individuals are sinners regardless of their age, but I am asking you to provide scripture to back your belief. The Bible doesn't come out and speak directly to the point that infants are saved apart from Jesus Christ other than the portion of scripture that I use is that which is found in Romans that I posted earlier. Jesus' position and teaching of the Kingdom of God being like the small children gives me an understanding of God's thoughts concerning those small children and younger. Other than those earlier posted scriptures, I have searched no more, for I am confident that God is a just and merciful God, and that there are those where sin is not imputed because of the work of Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the discussion. Keep up the good work, and God bless you and yours. :biggrin

Solo said:
As through one man, Adam, death passed on to all men because of sin, many will be saved through one man, Jesus Christ.

15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein. Luke 18:15-17

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. 15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. 16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. 17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. 20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: 21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 5:12-21

Solo ...it's mostly one of those issues that you have no doubt about in your heart.
I'm letting it go also....You keep up the good work too, and likewise I hope God blesses you and yours! :biggrin

PS...mutzein,
Theres too many questions being answered with questions.
My conclusion is that infants are unable to make any decisions, unable to reject Jesus, unable to break Gods laws. Therefore Gods perfect love, mercy, grace, and justice enables them to belong to Him and His kingdom.

destiny said:
My conclusion is that infants are unable to make any decisions, unable to reject Jesus, unable to break Gods laws. Therefore Gods perfect love, mercy, grace, and justice enables them to belong to Him and His kingdom.

Amen

Any answer you give will show a loophole or a result that makes God look like the most evil being ever conceived. So what ever rule you come up with, run the following "people" through it to see if you get an answer you like:

1. 1 month old aborted fetus.
2. 3 month old miscarried fetus.
3. Baby in childbirth.
4. 5 year old of a Christian
5. 5 year old of a Muslim
6. 10 year old who never heard of Jesus.
7. A mentally handicapped person that can not talk at age 15.

So here is an example rule and its conclusions:
Everyone before age 8 automatically goes to heaven. The conclusion is a 9 year old goes to hell. It also means the Bible lied when it said that the only way to the Father was therough the Son. It also means that abortion is good for the fetus (because it goes to heaven and everyone is happy).

If you change the rule, you will have other conclusions. For example, one person told me that if you never hear about Jesus, you go to heaven. That would mean that we need to get rid of Christianity so everyone can go to heaven.

A preacher one the radio said that the 10 year old girl does go to hell, but she doesn't get punished as often.

I think the real problem is the concept of hell. No finite sin deserves infinite punishment. That is the opposite of justice.

Quath

Quath said:
Any answer you give will show a loophole or a result that makes God look like the most evil being ever conceived. So what ever rule you come up with, run the following "people" through it to see if you get an answer you like:

3. Baby in childbirth.

So here is an example rule and its conclusions:
Everyone before age 8 automatically goes to heaven. The conclusion is a 9 year old goes to hell. It also means the Bible lied when it said that the only way to the Father was therough the Son. It also means that abortion is good for the fetus (because it goes to heaven and everyone is happy).

If you change the rule, you will have other conclusions. For example, one person told me that if you never hear about Jesus, you go to heaven. That would mean that we need to get rid of Christianity so everyone can go to heaven.

A preacher one the radio said that the 10 year old girl does go to hell, but she doesn't get punished as often.

I think the real problem is the concept of hell. No finite sin deserves infinite punishment. That is the opposite of justice.

Quath

Quath,
It is my belief that it is mans knowledge of the difference between good and evil that leads to sin. With that said, a child or mentally handicapped person who doesn't have the knowledge of good or evil and can't recognize the difference is incappable of sinning and perfectly capable of going to heaven. Now some people may say that my opinion says that non-believers can enter heaven but I don't believe that is the case because they do have the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong and will still sin just as believers do. The difference is a believer has a way to redemption. Now if you take my belief on this subject and place it toward the example your provided above you can make a completely fair rule with no loopholes.

No knowledge of right or wrong and therefore incappable of sin(I've already pointed out the verses above where God says he will not hold the sins of the father against us Ezekiel 18:1-32) The child will go to heaven.
Same as #1
3. Baby in childbirth.
Same as #1 and #2
Everyone matures at different ages so there can't be any real set age but I would say that most 5 year olds have very little knowledge between good and evil. This would be a decision God himself would only have the answer to.
Same as #4, I refer you yet again to God's promise not to hold the sins of the father against us. Ezekiel 18:1-32
I would personally say that most 10 year olds have a pretty clear understanding of the difference between right and wrong but some don't. Again this would be a decision for God to make and man would never really be able to know.
Just because this person is mentally handicapped and can't talk doesn't mean that they are incappable of knowing the difference between right and wrong and it also doesn't mean that they do. This yet again would be something that men wouldn't be able to judge, it would be up to God as he is the only one who would really know.

Please if there is some sort of loophole point it out to me. As far as proving the knowledge of good and evil creating the sin,

Gen 2:9 LITV And out of the ground Jehovah God made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food. The Tree of Life was also in the middle of the garden; also the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

I have read every translation I can of that verse and they all say the same thing about that tree. It wasn't the tree that causes men to sin, it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I don't believe that Adam was created with a knowledge of evil so he was incappable of doing evil until he ate the fruit from the tree.

Now I ask everyone on this forum to answer this,
If a child has no knowledge of good and evil are they capable of doing anything evil or commiting a sin? If the child has not sinned and God doesn't hold the sins of our fathers against us, Ezekiel 18:1-32 then why would this child be condemed to hell?

Long time no hear Quath. Nice to see you back :biggrin

I wonder how many people will actually respond to you though? Seems to me like we've been through some of this before :wink:

Really, good to see you. How's the family?

Jeff

Rob said:
It is my belief that it is mans knowledge of the difference between good and evil that leads to sin.
I haven't heard this one before. Do you think people can know good and evil without the Bible? Is it obvious when someone may kill another? Do the ends justofy the means? Should we sacrifice the few for the majority? Is it ever good to own another person as property?

I don't think these have easy answers and I think a lot of modern good verses evil beliefs flat out contradict the Bible's view on these.

No knowledge of right or wrong and therefore incappable of sin(I've already pointed out the verses above where God says he will not hold the sins of the father against us Ezekiel 18:1-32) The child will go to heaven.
Do you then believe that abortion causes no harm to the fetus since it gets to be in heaven?

Same as #4, I refer you yet again to God's promise not to hold the sins of the father against us. Ezekiel 18:1-32
Well, the Bible goes both ways on this. Many children are killed for their father's sin. For example, the thief at Jerico is killed with his childrenn. David's son is killed for his adultery. The children of Jerico are killed because their parents live in a place God doesn't want them to live.

Gen 2:9 LITV And out of the ground Jehovah God made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food. The Tree of Life was also in the middle of the garden; also the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

I have read every translation I can of that verse and they all say the same thing about that tree. It wasn't the tree that causes men to sin, it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I don't believe that Adam was created with a knowledge of evil so he was incappable of doing evil until he ate the fruit from the tree.
I heard an interesting view of the tree. A better translation is the Tree of knowledge of Good through Evil. Or Tree of Knowledge of Everything from the Good to the Evil. So it is knowledge of everything starting with the good and ending with the evil.

It still maintains the problem that Adam and Eve were innocent and didn;t know they did evil until they ate the fruit. Thus it was ultimately a set up.

StoveBolts said:
Long time no hear Quath. Nice to see you back
Heh. Good to see you too. :)

I wonder how many people will actually respond to you though? Seems to me like we've been through some of this before
Yup. I am sure the arguments keep going around like a mad merry-go-round of debate.

Really, good to see you. How's the family?
Pretty good. New school year. Higher mortgage rate. Pre-teen drama. Cat with uninary problem. How's it going for you?

Quath

Any answer you give will show a loophole or a result that makes God look like the most evil being ever conceived.

Please define “evil.â€Â

Quath said:
I haven't heard this one before. Do you think people can know good and evil without the Bible?

I do believe that man has a knowledge that allows them to tell good from evil, it's called a conscience. I can not find any verse in the Bible that says you have to have the Bible to know good from evil. I posted a website once that I think very few here agree with but nobody has yet to refute, http://www.gospeltruth.net/menbornsinners/mbs04.htm
They make a very good point about the law being written on mans heart,
5. If there were no common standard of right and wrong revealed to man by his nature, we could have no human government. In fact, human government would be a mere imposition were it not for man's moral nature and would be ridiculous, as ridiculous as a moral government over animals. The very fact that men do have human government shows that men know themselves to be responsible moral agents. It shows that they have innate convictions of right and wrong, and that they have a conscious knowledge of responsibility and accountability.

6. But the fact that human government is judged to be unjust, if it makes arbitrary law or imposes unjust penalty, shows that there is an ultimate standard of right and wrong a law revealed in our nature which all men know and appeal to. For instance, let a judge decide that he wants to sentence a convicted murderer to only one day in jail, and see if society does not rise up as one man to denounce the injustice of the sentence! But what does society appeal to in pronouncing the sentence unjust? Of course, it appeals to that self-evident standard of right and wrong which is revealed to all men in their moral nature. Or let us imagine that all the laws of our land are repealed overnight, and new laws are imposed such as the following: "It is a felony, punishable by life imprisonment to do anything good for your neighbor. All citizens are required by law to seek the misery and hurt of their neighbor. Therefore, all citizens are required to lie, steal, kill, and in other ways abuse their neighbors and seek to deprive them of their rights. In keeping with this new law (which cannot violate any absolute standard of righteousness and justice, since there is no natural law of justice, but all of man's convictions of right and wrong are merely the result of education and environment, and so can be changed at will without infringing upon anyone's rights) all men who have been imprisoned for past crimes will now be set free. (For there is no such thing as a self-evident standard of criminal action, because our convictions of wrong-doing are wholly dependent upon environment and education, and so can be changed at will.) Therefore, any citizen who does right and who does not do wrong will be sentenced to life imprisonment, and those citizens who will devote their lives to being selfish and seeking the misery of others will have the favor of this government."

Now, this supposition is ludicrous. But it would not seem ludicrous at all were it not for the innate knowledge of right and wrong in all men which makes them see it as ludicrous. The very fact that it is so obviously ludicrous to everyone shows that everyone has the same innate knowledge of right and wrong.

Is it obvious when someone may kill another?

There are people who have read the entire Bible and still break the law. Saying that someone doesn't know the law because they break it isn't a valid argument because there are so many cases that can be proven through the Bible that men who knew the law still broke it. The best example I can think of is of Judas the traitor, who personally knew Jesus and still betrayed him. ;)

[quoteDo the ends justofy the means? Should we sacrifice the few for the majority? Is it ever good to own another person as property?
I don't think these have easy answers and I think a lot of modern good verses evil beliefs flat out contradict the Bible's view on these.[/quote]

I must agree that many of mans views of morals are distorted, but I also believe that deep down all men know the difference between right and wrong. I'm not sure where you are getting at with sacrificing the few for the majority but I do know the second part. I don't believe the Bible expressly states that anyone should own slaves but I don't think it condemns slavery either. Man has a tendency to try to justify their own beliefs, even if they know they are wrong. Why do you think you see so many atheists who hate Christianity to the point they go to Christian forums looking to turn people. When you see a man trying so hard to prove the morality of their stance then you usually have a man who is going against his own conscience.

Do you then believe that abortion causes no harm to the fetus since it gets to be in heaven?

There was a thread about the mercy killing of children where a question simular to this was asked by and atheist about Yates murder of her children. Now I'm hoping you are easier to explain this issue to because I don't find it that difficult.
It is a sin to kill innocent children even if they go to heaven. A Christian can not justify killing for the sake of going to heaven because they would be putting their own salvation at risk. Remember, Mat 4:7 LITV Jesus said to him, Again it has been written: "You shall not tempt the Lord your God." Deut. 6:16 The act of abortion may still send the childs soul to heaven but is still wrong because you are taking God's matters into your own hands. It is up to God to decide when a child should die, not man. Asking me to support abortion because the child goes to heaven is like asking me to support rape because it can bring a child into the world. The ends do not justify the sin.

Well, the Bible goes both ways on this. Many children are killed for their father's sin. For example, the thief at Jerico is killed with his childrenn. David's son is killed for his adultery. The children of Jerico are killed because their parents live in a place God doesn't want them to live.

I don't really find any contradictions in the Bible. I geuss the main reason for this is that I pray for understanding if I come across anything that seems like a contradiction. In the interest of not making this post overly long I found an article that represents my belief on this issue,
http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2543

I heard an interesting view of the tree. A better translation is the Tree of knowledge of Good through Evil. Or Tree of Knowledge of Everything from the Good to the Evil. So it is knowledge of everything starting with the good and ending with the evil.
It still maintains the problem that Adam and Eve were innocent and didn;t know they did evil until they ate the fruit. Thus it was ultimately a set up.

God had to give Adam and Eve a choice(free will) or else their actions would be like that of a robot, not one of true love for God. The tree was never a set up, Adam and Eve may not have had a knowledge of good or evil but they knew that disobeying God or rebelling against him would have bad results. I believe when I read

Isa 25:8 LITV He will swallow up death in victory! And the Lord Jehovah will wipe away tears from all faces. And He shall reprove the reproach of His people from all the earth; for Jehovah has spoken.

that I'm told that the knowledge of sin and evil will be wiped from all who enter heaven as well.

Rob said:
I do believe that man has a knowledge that allows them to tell good from evil, it's called a conscience.
I don't find moral decisions so cut and dry. For example, if three children are drowning. I can save two strangers children or my child, I will save my child. Yet to someone else, this may be the wrong moral choice to make. There is nothing which says which one is right.

If there were no common standard of right and wrong revealed to man by his nature, we could have no human government.
I would disagree with this. Government can justified by purely selfish motives. It is not about right or wrong, but about everyone agreeing to cooperate so everyone can maxamize on something like security, health, social goals, etc.

[quote:faffb]Is it obvious when someone may kill another?
There are people who have read the entire Bible and still break the law. Saying that someone doesn't know the law because they break it isn't a valid argument because there are so many cases that can be proven through the Bible that men who knew the law still broke it. The best example I can think of is of Judas the traitor, who personally knew Jesus and still betrayed him. ;)[/quote:faffb]
I am not sure how this addressed what I said. Is it ok to kill another soldier? To kill the unborn? To kill a convicted prisoner? To kill someone for working on the Sabbath? To kill a non-virgin bride in front of her parents? To target children in war?

People disagree on these. That would seem to indicate we have no hard morality within us.

I don't believe the Bible expressly states that anyone should own slaves but I don't think it condemns slavery either.
The Bible says that slaves may be bought and sold. It gives rule for handlin slaves. It even tells you how hard you may beat a slave (such they do not die 2 days later). Did the Israelites do evil by owning other people as they had ben owned? Why did God not only permit this but help establish rule for it?

Why do you think you see so many atheists who hate Christianity to the point they go to Christian forums looking to turn people.
Do you think that Christians hate the non-Christians thet try to enlighten? If not, why do you think the opposite of atheists?

When you see a man trying so hard to prove the morality of their stance then you usually have a man who is going against his own conscience.
Martin Luthur King tied very hard to convince people of his moral stance. Was he going against his moral conscience? I seriously doubt it.

It is a sin to kill innocent children even if they go to heaven. A Christian can not justify killing for the sake of going to heaven because they would be putting their own salvation at risk. Remember, Mat 4:7 LITV Jesus said to him, Again it has been written: "You shall not tempt the Lord your God." Deut. 6:16 The act of abortion may still send the childs soul to heaven but is still wrong because you are taking God's matters into your own hands.
So killing an unborn is a sin like excessive drinking, working on the Sabbath and cursing. Do you agree it is not about the unborn then and it just people trying to legislate away sin? Do you feel the same about stopping the sins of sloth and gluttony?

It is up to God to decide when a child should die, not man.
If you immunize your child or go to the hospital instead of church when injured, then you are sounding hypocritical.

Asking me to support abortion because the child goes to heaven is like asking me to support rape because it can bring a child into the world. The ends do not justify the sin.
That is a good point. The ends justifying the means is a poor philosophy. However, the child being a victim is a bad argument because the child is definitely happy in heaven and may or may not be happy on Earth. So abortion is a definite win for the child in terms of happiness.

In the interest of not making this post overly long I found an article that represents my belief on this issue,
http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2543
The link didn't work for me. Maybe the website is down.

God had to give Adam and Eve a choice(free will) or else their actions would be like that of a robot, not one of true love for God. The tree was never a set up, Adam and Eve may not have had a knowledge of good or evil but they knew that disobeying God or rebelling against him would have bad results.
God could have made Bob and Barbara. They both had a phobia of snakes and were allergic to fruit. Thse two would not have eaten from the tree. So why did God make Adam and Eve instead of Bob and Barbara? This is really tricky because God knew what they would do before he made them.

Quath

JM said:
Any answer you give will show a loophole or a result that makes God look like the most evil being ever conceived.

Please define “evil.â€Â

Please define “evil.â€Â

What authority are you using to establish a basis for what is evil and what is good?

Even more glad that God is in charge now than I was when I last posted on this thread.
wav.gif

Quath said:
I don't find moral decisions so cut and dry. For example, if three children are drowning. I can save two strangers children or my child, I will save my child. Yet to someone else, this may be the wrong moral choice to make. There is nothing which says which one is right.
Your example is one where I find a different moral ground, I would die trying to save all three as I wouldn't be able to live knowing I didn't do my best to save them all. A pretty cut and dry moral on my part, I have yet to find an issue of morals that isn't cut and dry for me anyhow.

I would disagree with this. Government can justified by purely selfish motives. It is not about right or wrong, but about everyone agreeing to cooperate so everyone can maxamize on something like security, health, social goals, etc.
That doesn't justify the laws the government creates. Back to the original point at hand, original sin, I point toward this link http://www.gospeltruth.net/menbornsinners/mbs07.htm I have a really hard time following the docrtrine of original sin. You may disagree with the one analogy I posted from the site but I'm sure you would have a hard time biblically refuting the information the site contains.

I am not sure how this addressed what I said.
I said that man has the law written in their hearts and it was obvious when you see a mans conscience. In response to that you asked if it was obvious when a man commits murder. I was assuming that you were trying to say that a man who had the law written on their heart could not commit a sin because they knew it was wrong so I pointed out that men who know the law through the Bible still sin. I don't know how else I could have addressed the issue.

Is it ok to kill another soldier? To kill the unborn? To kill a convicted prisoner? To kill someone for working on the Sabbath? To kill a non-virgin bride in front of her parents? To target children in war?
Ecclesiastes 3:1-22 Are you trying to say that the Bible teaches to kill for working on the sabbath? It is at this point that I really have to ask this question, are you a Christian? The only reason I ask is because most Christians seem to understand the difference between the old and new covenants. Some of the questions you posed above show a clear misunderstanding of the Bible. The Bible is very clear on what is right and what is wrong, and your conscience will let you know if you are about to do wrong. Go ahead and ask any soldier who had to fight in a just war if they had a guilty conscience when they shot at the enemy ;)

People disagree on these. That would seem to indicate we have no hard morality within us.
People disagree on a lot of things but does that mean they don't know what is truley right? A man might fight for gay marriage and ask to be accepted but the only reason he seeks acceptance is to verify his own belief. As I said before, an atheist comes to a Christian forum pushing his own POV to help him justify what he knows to be a lie. There are too many examples to list. There are people that disagreed with Jesus, people who disobeyed God's word, and I would venture to say that Satans trouble came from disagreeing with God himself. Just because some people disagree doesn't mean they have different morals, it just means that some people are better and hushing that voice inside their heads. I would also like to point out that not everyone does what they find morally acceptable, the way you can usually tell is when a man/woman either attempts to lie about what they have done or they try to blame it on someone else. Some examples of this would be the murderer who lies about his crime, or the rapist who claims he did it because she was wearing clothing that was too skimpy.

The Bible says that slaves may be bought and sold. It gives rule for handlin slaves. It even tells you how hard you may beat a slave (such they do not die 2 days later). Did the Israelites do evil by owning other people as they had ben owned? Why did God not only permit this but help establish rule for it?
Let me say that slavery in that time period is very much different from what was done to African American slaves, it has even been compared to what modern people get in the military. Slavery was not always lifelong and not even close to what early Europeans put men through. You try to say God condones slavery in a futile attempt to make it look as if God is morally wrong, but what God condoned is very different than modern slavery and you probably know that already. The Bible strictly forbids the type of slavery that happened in America,
Exo 21:16 LITV And he that steals a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, dying he shall die.
That verse shows the condemnation of what Europeans did as far as slavery. The "slavery" that was common place during Bible times was more of a indentured servant. I don't want to get too far off topic but if you want to debate this further make a thread and I will join :biggrin. I will warn you though, you better be able to back up that scripture ;) as I already know what verses you are reffering to above and those alone don't make a very good argument for what you are saying here ;)

Do you think that Christians hate the non-Christians thet try to enlighten? If not, why do you think the opposite of atheists?
An atheist who "preaches" his or her "gospel" is only doing so because misery loves company :tongue Honestly, give me one good reason an atheist would have to attack a religion? If they honestly believe that God doesn't exist and that at death that is the end then why would they have to save anyone from a belief that brought them comfort? Even if they were wrong, wouldn't this atheist's attempt at proving the theist wrong be morally wrong for the atheist?

Martin Luthur King tied very hard to convince people of his moral stance. Was he going against his moral conscience? I seriously doubt it.
King didn't have to fight hard to convince people of his moral stance, instead he had to fight hard to be heard by people that were ignorant of the situation and to make known to America what wrongs were being done. Kings voice was used to make the plight known, not to prove to people that what was being done was wrong.

So killing an unborn is a sin like excessive drinking, working on the Sabbath and cursing. Do you agree it is not about the unborn then and it just people trying to legislate away sin? Do you feel the same about stopping the sins of sloth and gluttony?
Did I ever say that I believe that the law of God should be legislated? I believe the only law in the Bible that should be legislated is the most important commandment, if everyone followed it then the world wouldn't need any other legislation. If you need me to tell you that commandment just say so, but I'm assuming you know what it is ;)

If you immunize your child or go to the hospital instead of church when injured, then you are sounding hypocritical.
and how so? I said it was up to God to make life and death decisions, that doesn't mean that he doesn' provide knowledge for the use of saving life.

That is a good point. The ends justifying the means is a poor philosophy. However, the child being a victim is a bad argument because the child is definitely happy in heaven and may or may not be happy on Earth. So abortion is a definite win for the child in terms of happiness.
I'm glad we agree here. :biggrin

The link didn't work for me. Maybe the website is down.
You are going to have Vic on here telling me my post is too long but here it goes :biggrin , taken from http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2543
Understanding the nature of God’s interaction with man is no small task. The sincere Bible student often comes across things in the biblical text that are puzzling. Others, who are perhaps somewhat less sincere, twist these initially puzzling passages “to their own destruction†(as described in 2 Peter 3:16-1). One such idea that has been abused is the alleged contradiction between how Jehovah dealt (and still deals) with the children of sinful people. Steve Wells, author of the Skeptic’s Annotated Bible, insists that there is a discrepancy in the Bible regarding this subject. He lists Exodus 20:5, which states: “For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me.†Wells then presents Ezekiel 18:20 as a contradictory verse: “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself †(Wells, 2003).

Is there a legitimate contradiction between these verses? Or, to pose the question differently, “Is there any possible way that both these statements can be true?†The fact of the matter is that both statements can be true, without a contradiction occurring. What Mr. Wells and others who twist these verses into an alleged contradiction do not recognize is that there is a difference between bearing the guilt of a parent, and suffering negative physical and emotional consequences due to that parent’s bad decisions.

It often is the case that the children of wicked people suffer terribly. Sometimes these children suffer because the parent physically or emotionally abuses them (in direct violation of Scripture; cf. Matthew 7:12; Colossians 3:21). At other times, the child suffers as a result of the parent’s irresponsible behavior. For instance, suppose a man addicted to gambling wastes his salary on gambling, instead of using it to feed his family. As a result, his children suffer hunger, shame, and poverty.

Yet, even though the children of sinful people often suffer physical consequences, they do not inherit the sin of those parents. The book of Jeremiah provides an interesting commentary on this subject. In Jeremiah 16:1-6, God told Jeremiah that the prophet should not take a wife and/or have children in the land of Israel. God explained His reasoning to Jeremiah as follows: “For thus says the Lord concerning the sons and daughters who are born in this place.... ‘They shall die gruesome deaths; they shall not be lamented, nor shall they be buried, but they shall be as refuse on the face of the earth’ †(16:4). Why was this going to happen? Wells is quick to refer to this chapter, especially verses 10 and 11 where the children of Israel pose the question, “Why has the Lord pronounced all this great disaster against us†(vs. 10)? Wells then records Jeremiah’s answer: “ ‘Because your fathers have forsaken Me,’ says the Lord†(vs. 11). Wells, however, does not cite the very next verse (12), which states: “And you have done worse than your fathers....â€Â

These Israelites were suffering due to the sins of their fathersâ€â€and due to their own sins. Their children were going to die gruesome deaths. The skeptic is quick to seize upon this fact, and demand that any time innocent children die, it is a travesty against justice that a loving God never would permit (a fallacious idea that I have refuted elsewhere; see Butt, 2004).

Do children sometimes die horrible deaths due to their parents’ wrong decisions? Absolutely. The Israelites had adopted the practice of sacrificing their own children to a false god named Baal (Jeremiah 19:5). The iniquity of the parents, then, can be visited upon the children in the form of physical suffering. But do those children bear the guilt of that sin? Absolutely not! Ezekiel wrote by inspiration of the Holy Spirit: “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son†(Ezekiel 18:20, emp. added).

Notice the words soul and guilt. Does the Bible ever insinuate, for example, that a child is guilty of idolatry because his parents were idolatrous? No (read Matthew 18:3-5; Luke 18:16-17). Bearing the guilt of sin is altogether different than bearing the physical consequences of the actions of others. As is often the case, the skeptic has confused the two, and has alleged a biblical contraction where, in fact, none exists. This is still another example in which the allegation against the Bible fails, but “the Word of the Lord endures forever†(1 Peter 1:25).

God could have made Bob and Barbara. They both had a phobia of snakes and were allergic to fruit. Thse two would not have eaten from the tree. So why did God make Adam and Eve instead of Bob and Barbara? This is really tricky because God knew what they would do before he made them.
God knew what they would do but he allowed them the opportunity to make that choice. Without giving the ability to make that choice then mankind would be nothing more than mere robots, programmed to do what God wanted them to do. God wanted people who chose to worship him, not people that did so because they had to. Again, this is a subject that is better suited to another thread, start one and I will join :biggrin

God can do whatever he wants to do no matter what his creation thinks of him. Not a one of these created vessels on this earth can come close to the love, mercy, justice, truth of God Almighty, but they try and try and try and try and try.

Some are like ole Lucifer in placing himself above God Almighty. God created a creature out of a ball of clay that will hold a higher place in God's Kingdom than Lucifer ever held.

destiny said:
PS...mutzein,
Theres too many questions being answered with questions.

All I am asking Destiny is this.

Why does Christendom in general say that one must be born again to enter the kingdom of heaven and yet when it comes to innocents (such as babies) they skirt around it, looking for a way to allow them into heaven without being born again.

Don't you see this is as an inconsistency? Now I am not questioning for a moment, God's love, mercy, grace, justice etc. I'm questioning a theology which is based on an unsound premise.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back