Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Children's belief in Santa Claus

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I am NOT trying to start a firestorm...I am looking for genuine feedback to the following question:

Do you think that a child's belief, and parents' propagation of said belief, in Santa is harmful?

My line of thinking is simple and black and white, for all intents and purposes, it is a lie to tell children the American Santa Claus legend. Honestly, I don't care how 'magical' it is, to me it seems like a subtle matter of principle, especially as a Christian.

I will be teaching my children about Christ's birth and the 'true meaning' of Christmas; I just wonder if SC can fit into that picture at all. :chin

I am NOT trying to start a firestorm...I am looking for genuine feedback to the following question:

Do you think that a child's belief, and parents' propagation of said belief, in Santa is harmful?

Yes ...

My line of thinking is simple and black and white, for all intents and purposes, it is a lie to tell children the American Santa Claus legend. Honestly, I don't care how 'magical' it is, to me it seems like a subtle matter of principle, especially as a Christian.

I agree ...

I will be teaching my children about Christ's birth and the 'true meaning' of Christmas; I just wonder if SC can fit into that picture at all. :chin

The way I look on it, it is blatant lying and even though children LOOK as though they recover, I think they'd always remember being deceived ...

I applaud you for trying to instill the true meaning, even though we don't know the date Jesus was actually born, at least we know he is real ...

I think there might be a few kids who are the sensitive type who might feel betrayed at realizing the truth about Santa...the vast majority don't though.

I specifically have asked this question of my kids...wait, my son is right here, I'll ask him...

Nope, he didn't feel like he was lied to, or betrayed. I asked him if he felt we had lied to him when we told about Santa, or felt betrayed when we finally told him Santa wasn't real. He said that he knew a long time before we told him that Santa wasn't real, so it came as no surprise. I also asked him, "Since we did the whole Santa thing, and that turned out to not be true, do you think we're lying to you about Jesus?" He kind of laughed a bit and said, "Why would you think that. Why are you asking?"

So I told him that I was talking with some adults here on the "bible study board" (what we call cf.net in our house) about Christmas and that some adults think that telling kids that Santa comes on Christmas Eve is lying to them and will make them think that perhaps Jesus isn't real as well. (Hasn't come up in this discussion yet, but it usually does.) His response, "That's pretty stupid."

Kids, except for the aforementioned super sensitive types, "get it". They have a very good capacity of understanding real and make-believe and most kids already know that Santa isn't real long before the parents ever get around telling them. I worked in a day-care for over 12 years and worked with hundreds of pre-school and school age kids, and not once do I remember there being a problem with a child finding out "the truth".

I dislike using the word "lying" when it comes to the whole Santa myth. To me, it is far more like telling your kids a fairy tale, a fairy tale that they can become a part of. Now, if some don't want to take part in it, that's fine, but there is no reason why Christian parents should be made to feel as if they really cannot do the whole Santa thing with the kids because it's "lying" to them. If someone decides that they will never tell their child anything but factual things, OK, but most kids not only enjoy, but benefit from make-believe and that is all that this is.

We always taught our kids about Christmas being the time of year that we celebrate the birth of Christ. We don't do "Jesus' Birthday", and we do explain that December 25 is most likely, almost positively NOT the real birthday of Christ (I don't know why some get so hung up on this, but obviously this is of real importance to some people), but that we do celebrate the nativity at this time.

It's good for the Church to remember the events surrounding the nativity, to reinforce the Virgin Birth, the fact that angelic hosts sang on the night He was born, to remember the slaughtered children and the flight to Egypt and the honor brought to Him by the magi (whomever they were and no matter how many there were.) And, the fact that the Church co-opted a former pagan holiday to remember these things, forever changing the nature of December 25 from being pagan to the time the world over, Christian or non-Christian, celebrates Peace coming to earth, to me, is a good thing.

I'm all for Christmas! I'm glad today is a snow day, because then the kids can help me get the house really clean for Thanksgiving. And after our Thanksgiving feast, bring on Christmas!!! :xmas

I think it would be helpful to understand handy that it is HOW some children are told that can make the difference. Yes the make up of the child is involved, (I hope I wouldn't call anyone especially any child, 'sensitive', if they are genuinely bothered by it just because I like how Santa is delivered to children), but I wouldn't say 'most' children are fine it. There are probably adults who wouldn't say anything because they fear ridicule. I'd say we don't really know.

And from a Godly POV it IS lying ...

I realize some of the "old-timers" are not going to be interested in seeing this topic recirculate this time of year. But since I'm not one of them... :biggrin

Actually, I'm not intending on mixing it up here. I want to leave my two pennies and be done.

I would say what Handy said.

You can call it "lying" if you want, though I think that's a bit harsh. I would say that if children of Christian parents (who can grasp the concept) know more about the North Pole than they do Bethlehem, that is a problem. To this parent, I would tell them they are allowing this fantasy to overwhelm their responsibility to their Children.

Most Christian parents I know don't treat it in a way that "takes away" the meaning of Christmas. It's almost like two separate events happening simultaneously. And the reminder of the Birth of our Savior is never neglected. The day (whenever it was) that God became flesh and revealed Himself in the Person of Jesus, shouldn't be neglected, and the Christian parents I know don't do that.

Finally, there are those who don't pay any attention to the True meaning of Christmas. They have much greater problems on their hands than a "Santa lie" to their children. My children have absolutely no feelings of betrayal when reflecting on the time they believed in Santa. I certainly don't. I remember being so excited the night before, I thought I was going to hurl! :verysick:lol But along with that excitement was not lost the significance of the event.

I dislike using the word "lying" when it comes to the whole Santa myth. To me, it is far more like telling your kids a fairy tale, a fairy tale that they can become a part of. Now, if some don't want to take part in it, that's fine, but there is no reason why Christian parents should be made to feel as if they really cannot do the whole Santa thing with the kids because it's "lying" to them. If someone decides that they will never tell their child anything but factual things, OK, but most kids not only enjoy, but benefit from make-believe and that is all that this is.

Many people say that telling kids about Santa is like telling them about Little Red Riding Hood. If you feel that way, can you tell me how many billions of dollars are spent every year exclusively to convince children that Little Red Riding Hood is real? I may be way off here, but I'm going to guess that the number is somewhere around... oh, say... zero? Does that sound about right?

We don't spend huge amounts of money, time and energy trying to convince our children that Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Snow White, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny and the Cat in the Hat are real. In fact, if young children become afraid of some of these characters, such as the Big Bad Wolf or the evil villain in some cartoon, or if they try to emulate them too closely, for example by jumping off high places and trying to fly like Superman, we make a point of telling them that these characters aren't real. But if they become afraid of Santa, like many kids do, we don't tell them he isn't real, but that he's good and they shouldn't be afraid of him. If they become really involved in the whole story and truely bellieve Santa's real, we don't correct them, but rather encourage them.

If you feel there's no harm in telling your kids that Santa Claus is real, then go ahead and do whatever you think is right. I may disagree, but I won't condemn you or judge you for it. Each of us must do what we believe is right. But whatever you do, don't compare Santa to regular fairy tails. There is no comparison. If you don't want to call it a lie, then call it a myth or a legend. People tell both of those as if they were fact and they also believe both. But it isn't a fairy tail.

I disagree, truly I do. I don't think that the bible tells us one way or the other that we cannot tell fairy tales and make-believe stories to our children. I don't think one needs to check one's godliness (in the sense that one is actually lying) at the door if one wants to have the Santa tradition as part of their season, anymore than I think one needs to check one's godliness at the door to slip a dollar under the pillow from the tooth fairy.

Naturally, all these things fall under the command that whatever we do, we must be convinced in our own mind and if we believe something is sinful we need to not do it, irregardless of whether it actually is...therefore, if anyone feels that Santa = lying, they shouldn't participate in the Santa tradition.

So, my discussion on this thread isn't to say, hey, go for it, but to discuss the actual case on whether or not parents who give gifts from Santa are sinning. I don't believe for a moment that they are.

Nor do I believe that the vast majority of children suffer any ill-effects from the Santa tradition...if it were really a problem, I'd have seen a lot of it in my years of being around young kids...and I haven't. Now, ill-effects from divorce, from addictions, from neglect, from spoiling, yes, all that and more. But, when it comes to kids feeling betrayed or lied to because they find out Santa isn't real...again, 12 years of pre-school experience, hundreds of kids who have been in my life, not to mention my own nieces, nephews and kids, and I just don't see it happening. However, I have, in those 12 years, also come across some (a very few) very sensitive children who are indeed bothered by things, and their parents need to be careful with that.

We did a poll, I think last year on this subject. I don't know if it can be found or not. Seems to me that most who were raised in homes with the Santa tradition just didn't have a problem with it, most who were not, were. But, that was a year ago and it's a bit foggy now.

1 Corinthians 10:23 states: "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."

I look at this and I think, is there anything about the Santa tradition at our house that was profitable or edified, and in all honesty I can answer a resounding "YES" to that. Our Santa traditions have brought joy and happiness and very good memories and there is profit in that.

Again, these are matter of conscience, and I don't encourage anyone to blow off feelings within them that there is something inherently wrong with Santa, again whatever is not done from faith is sin. (Rom 14:23)

But, I do caution for us not to place yokes on people that simply are not in the Bible and to make people feel that they cannot be godly and enjoy common American Christmas traditions.

Mike, I agree with the idea it being "almost like two separate events happening simultaneously."

That is certainly how it is in our house...and yes, even though both kids know about Santa, they still look forward to what Santa is going to bring.

Lamplady, I do agree that some parents might not handle telling the kids about Santa well, and maybe that's a problem. In my experience though, most kids have it figured out long before the parents say anything.

Theo, to me, myths, legends and fairy tales are pretty much the same thing, but if you want to make that distinction, go ahead.

Harmful, in that the eventual discovery that he is not real...I don't think so, I remember my day of epiphany when I discovered the various creatures I thought were real were revealed to me when I asked my mom about them one at a time. But it never came to my mind to ask about God. God was a whole other entity.

But in that Santa is the poster boy for the complete commercialization of Christmas...yes perhaps so. We have lost track about what Christmas is supposed to be, and Santa (which I want to keep spelling as satan :lol) and reindeer and snowmen drag us further away each year.

Goodness, Handy, you make me think!

To me, telling a child, verbatim, that Santa exists, that if Sally is a good girl, she won't be on his naughty list, etc, is delivering a lie to that child. I don't think that point can be argued.

"Thou shalt not lie" - we have this God-given tenet, do we become Pharisaical and determine at what level a statement is a lie and under what circumstances we are to tell one?

In telling a child a fairy tale, they generally know that it is a story and is not meant to be believed.

All in all, I agree - it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict us of sin and, as the Word says, some of us will be convicted where others are not.

*Disclaimer* - I am merely presenting my opinion. I am NOT passing judgment on any parent who includes Santa in their Christmas tradition. :)

You mean because the story is a fairy tale and uses a character and events that are not a truthful accurate account of an actual person and events? Is that what you mean by it being a "lie" from a "Godly" point of view?

If that's the way God sees it, seems that He must look the same way at the parables that Jesus told.:chin

Maybe balance and moderation are good concepts to use in this situation?

I have no intention of telling my future children about Santa. (look the letters of his name spell satan!!!! hahahaha. sorry, couldn't resist. i'm just kidding ;))

I will tell my kids about the story of St. Nicolas though. A rich Christian man who had so much love he dedicated his life to blessing poor children? What a beautiful reminder of the power behind the love of Christ!

I'm going to stay away from Santa because of the secular commercialization of Christmas. When the economy falls on hard times the secular would will stop celebrating Christmas because they have no need of it, but we Christians will continue to celebrate the birth of the King, who saved us from the prince of this world! Thank you Jesus! :clap

I don't believe that telling children about Santa will scar them. Most children get to an age where they learn the difference between reality and fantasy. They realize that Santa is not real, and the easter bunny is not real, and the tooth fairy is not real, etc. They realize that they can play make believe, but that there is a real world we live in. It is the fantasy world that allows children to find a new world through a wardrobe, or the fly with Falkor, etc. Often, kids get to the point where Santa isn't real, but it is sure fun pretending he is.

Obviously, not all kids would take well to it. Everyone has a different inborn personality. Parents should always take into consideration their children's personality first, over their own interests. Otherwise, if a child is pushed into something then it can have long lasting negative consequences. Like the adult who is terrified of clowns, because of a really bad experience as a young child. Regarding Santa, people think Santa pics are cute, but they often don't think about how terrified older infants and young toddlers can become. That is more a stage in development, but personality can also play a role.

I, personally, did not do the "Santa thing" with my kids. I felt no reason to. They have known from the beginning that there is no Santa. We have never done the easter bunny thing either.

Harmful, in that the eventual discovery that he is not real...I don't think so, I remember my day of epiphany when I discovered the various creatures I thought were real were revealed to me when I asked my mom about them one at a time. But it never came to my mind to ask about God. God was a whole other entity.

But in that Santa is the poster boy for the complete commercialization of Christmas...yes perhaps so. We have lost track about what Christmas is supposed to be, and Santa (which I want to keep spelling as satan :lol) and reindeer and snowmen drag us further away each year.

i knew by age 6 that santa wasnt real and that christmas was idol worship of the babylonian god.

:lol

Are all Jewish children taught this?

i was never raised in the temple,my dad didnt care for that.

instead i was a jw for the most part of my youth.

that is where i was told, but i did celebrate channukah a few times(got gifts from grandparents, no lighting of the menora :sad )

My older sister tells me that when I found out there was no Santa I said to my parents right out "you lied to me", but I don`t remember that and I don`t ever remember feeling like I could not trust my parents over the Santa issue. I remember basically understanding that my parents were just playing some fantasy game with me with Santa, tooth faith, and Easter bunny. So I am not as concerned about the lying aspect of Santa as I am about the whole concept as Santa. It is almost like the culture traded Jesus for Santa. Santa is the focus of Christmas and he is the one that watches the children all year to see if they are naughty or nice. I don`t think this is good for Christians. Therefore, I don`t teach my children about Santa. I teach them about Jesus and Christmas is the day we remember and celebrate Jesus` birth. I tell them Jesus is the One who watches over them all year long. Jesus is the One who has the power to come to all children all over the world not some made up santa. My daughter now gets some slack over this from her friends. Some get angry at her for saying there is no Santa which saddens her. So to teach there is no Santa comes with a price that our children have to bear, but I think it is a price and lesson worth paying. I think my daughter agrees even though it hurts her that her friends get angry with her. It is not that she is going and saying there is no Santa but when asked she tells them she does not believe. This is hard for a 5 year old, but I am proud of her because she says "I do not believe in Santa. I believe in God. "

i was never raised in the temple,my dad didnt care for that.

instead i was a jw for the most part of my youth.

that is where i was told, but i did celebrate channukah a few times(got gifts from grandparents, no lighting of the menora :sad )

awww you can celebrate Chrismakuh! Lord willing, with His blessing, I would love to celebrate Chrismakuh :biggrin

BTW - "jw" is just a typo right? You weren't raised as a Jehovah's Witness :lol

awww you can celebrate Chrismakuh! Lord willing, with His blessing, I would love to celebrate Chrismakuh :biggrin

BTW - "jw" is just a typo right? You weren't raised as a Jehovah's Witness :lol

my testimony is this
raised jw, left when i joined army, got out and just as i joined the national guard i had a male-male relationship. and almost become a muslim. i did also dabble in witchcraft mainly in the army. though i did some of it in highschool.
i got saved in louisana.

Back