Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Children's belief in Santa Claus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
yes, to me more christlike then christmas, no gifts just being thankful for the providence of God.
it was started by lincoln and other ere him, but not a national holiday till lincoln.

it is based on the pilgrims have survived the first winter and the indians eating with them in meal of reconcilation.
the turkey is commonly assumed to be the meal with corn

google the mass bay colony 1620. and the pilgrims and what happened.

I have heard it said in tv shows but really never took the time to think about it coz its not our holliday festival in australia.

re

yes, to me more christlike then christmas

Christama$, now is just the holy retail season where we practice gluttony and greed.Where we unnecessarily kill more animals than we need to for our meals and excess gets wasted. sorry bar humbug moment. The more I see of Christmas around me the less I like it.

my wife hates the idea that i grew up without christmas, felt i was wronged.

but really what is christmas supposed to be about?
gving yes but i think the focus should be on the cross and yes the birth as well.

Christama$, now is just the holy retail season where we practice gluttony and greed.Where we unnecessarily kill more animals than we need to for our meals and excess gets wasted. sorry bar humbug moment. The more I see of Christmas around me the less I like it.

Christmas is only about greed and gluttony if that is what you make it to be. Christmas can be one of the warmest, most joyful times of the year to leave great lasting memories in the hearts of your children if you do it right by keeping Christ the center. Show your children the star on top on the Christmas tree and tell them the story of the wise men following the star. Show them the Christmas lights and tell them we are to be lights for God. Stop playing the "Here comes Santa Clause" music and start playing Christmas songs that tell the story of Christ and bring glory to His name. Fill your home with this heart lifting music. Give your children a gift but tell them the reason we give gifts is to remember this is the season of gift giving. Tell the story of the wise men giving gifts and what those gifts meant. And then tell the story of the greatest gift of all, God giving His Son to mankind. Have a special dinner but also have a special thanks for it and remind your children of God`s goodness in providing this beautiful meal. Some people like to make birthday cake and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. This helps children to connect and understand what Christmas really is--Jesus` birthday in this world. Before having your special dinner together read the story of Christ`s birth. Invite others to share in this joyful meal with you because God wants us to share His goodness with others. Decorate a tree but only with things that reflect the true meaning of Christmas. Throw away your santa decorations. As you decorate your tree together talk about what the various decorations represent and mean. You can make your own decorations together. This can be a very rich, loving, spiritual season if you make it that or it can be an ugly, stressful, commercial season if you make it that. It is up to the individual as to how they want to view and celebrate Christmas! Just my 2 cents!!!!

Christmas is only about greed and gluttony if that is what you make it to be. Christmas can be one of the warmest, most joyful times of the year to leave great lasting memories in the hearts of your children if you do it right by keeping Christ the center. Show your children the star on top on the Christmas tree and tell them the story of the wise men following the star. Show them the Christmas lights and tell them we are to be lights for God. Stop playing the "Here comes Santa Clause" music and start playing Christmas songs that tell the story of Christ and bring glory to His name. Fill your home with this heart lifting music. Give your children a gift but tell them the reason we give gifts is to remember this is the season of gift giving. Tell the story of the wise men giving gifts and what those gifts meant. And then tell the story of the greatest gift of all, God giving His Son to mankind. Have a special dinner but also have a special thanks for it and remind your children of God`s goodness in providing this beautiful meal. Some people like to make birthday cake and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. This helps children to connect and understand what Christmas really is--Jesus` birthday in this world. Before having your special dinner together read the story of Christ`s birth. Invite others to share in this joyful meal with you because God wants us to share His goodness with others. Decorate a tree but only with things that reflect the true meaning of Christmas. Throw away your santa decorations. As you decorate your tree together talk about what the various decorations represent and mean. You can make your own decorations together. This can be a very rich, loving, spiritual season if you make it that or it can be an ugly, stressful, commercial season if you make it that. It is up to the individual as to how they want to view and celebrate Christmas! Just my 2 cents!!!!
you are right too. i live next in the middle of 2 shopping malls its all you see.. the retail. plus every time i turn the TV on here on our stations the success of Christmas is always measured in retail turnover. the Christmas decorations were in our stores 4 months ago. its good for little children they love it.

I am NOT trying to start a firestorm...I am looking for genuine feedback to the following question:

Do you think that a child's belief, and parents' propagation of said belief, in Santa is harmful?

My line of thinking is simple and black and white, for all intents and purposes, it is a lie to tell children the American Santa Claus legend. Honestly, I don't care how 'magical' it is, to me it seems like a subtle matter of principle, especially as a Christian.

I will be teaching my children about Christ's birth and the 'true meaning' of Christmas; I just wonder if SC can fit into that picture at all. :chin

I fully agree, but my wife does not.

She tells my girls about Santa and I try o let them have fun with it, but they read my sarcasm when I make little comments about Santa.

santa.jpg

I love this old Norman Rockwell picture.
The look on the boys face when he finds Santa's suit in his father's dresser is priceless!!!
It's like discovering that Batman is really your dad!

I fully agree, but my wife does not.

She tells my girls about Santa and I try o let them have fun with it, but they read my sarcasm when I make little comments about Santa.

I feel like I will be in your shoes with my perspective wife :) Here's hoping for an awesome compromise :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back