Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christian Hymns

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
in adddition to the classical christian hymns mentioned, try also the modern/popular christian hymns. Hillsong Australia has alot of it

Thanks for the replies folks!

Reba,

It is Well with my Soul is an all time favourite of mine. I love that hymn!
Hi Lloyd,

It is Well (with my soul) is my favorite. The lyrics are very deep and meaningful. The melody is so sweet too.

Check this out:

http://www.biblestudycharts.com/A_Daily_Hymn.html

Scroll down to read the history of the lyrics. It will bring tears to your eyes.

Another fave of mine isn't as old, but it's SO simple and beautiful:

Glorify Thy Name

http://www.hymnary.org/text/father_we_love_you

Hi farouk,

When I first became a Christian, I never sang any of the old hymns because the church I went to sang modern worship songs. I didn't start singing the old hymns until about 6 years after becoming a Christian. I noticed that though some of the music can be not as up beat, it really is the theology that draws you in. Many of the modern hymns or songs are great, but you can't replace the old hymns with the modern.

- Davies

Davies:

I agree that those that have sound, Biblical content and are well-written will stand the test of time. There is indeed a great heritage of sound hymns in the English language. Some of the great hymns of the faith have been sung for generations and are truly memorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
My absolute favorite 'old' song: "Amazing Grace" ... it's timeless, says it all ... is always moving .... and every time we've been blessed to sing it during service, numerous people have to wipe their eyes ... it's beautiful and a blessing

Here are some of my favorite ones:
It Is Well With My Soul - as mentioned by others, I also really like the story behind it.
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Jesus Paid It All
Blessed Assurance

My absolute favorite 'old' song: "Amazing Grace" ... it's timeless, says it all ... is always moving .... and every time we've been blessed to sing it during service, numerous people have to wipe their eyes ... it's beautiful and a blessing

AirDancer:

Well, you know what? we sang it today, too! :)

Blessings.

Farouk,
"I agree that those that have sound, Biblical content and are well-written will stand the test of time. There is indeed a great heritage of sound hymns in the English language. Some of the great hymns of the faith have been sung for generations and are truly memorable."

Lol, someone asked me how many Matt Redman songs will churches be singing in two hundred years time...?
John and Charles Wesley, anyone?

Matt Redman is great, but you can't beat:

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Back