Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians & secular music

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Question: "Should a Christian listen to secular music?"

Answer:
Many Christians struggle with this question. Many secular musicians are immensely talented. Secular music can be very entertaining. There are many secular songs that have catchy melodies, thoughtful insights, and positive messages. In determining whether or not to listen to secular music, there are three primary factors to consider: 1) the purpose of music, 2) the style of music, and 3) the content of the lyrics.

1) The purpose of music. Is music designed solely for worship, or did God also intend music to be soothing and/or entertaining? The most famous musician in the Bible, King David, primarily used music for the purpose of worshipping God (see Psalm 4:1; 6:1, 5455, 61:1; 67:1; 76:1). However, when King Saul was tormented by evil spirits, he would call on David to play the harp in order to soothe him (1 Samuel 16:14-23). The Israelites also used musical instruments to warn of danger (Nehemiah 4:20) and to surprise their enemies (Judges 7:16-22). In the New Testament, the apostle Paul instructs Christians to encourage one another with music: “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs†(Ephesians 5:19). So, while the primary purpose of music does seem to be worship, the Bible definitely allows for other uses of music.

2) The style of music. Sadly, the issue of music styles can be very divisive among Christians. There are Christians who adamantly demand that no musical instruments be used. There are Christians who only desire to sing the “old faithful†hymns. There are Christians who want more upbeat and contemporary music. There are Christians who claim to worship best in a “rock concert†type of environment. Instead of recognizing these differences as personal preferences and cultural distinctions, some Christians declare their preferred style of music to be the only “biblical†one and declare all other forms of music to be unwholesome, ungodly, or even satanic.

The Bible nowhere condemns any particular style of music. The Bible nowhere declares any particular musical instrument to be ungodly. The Bible mentions numerous kinds of string instruments and wind instruments. While the Bible does not specifically mention drums, it does mention other percussion instruments (Psalm 68:25; Ezra 3:10). Nearly all of the forms of modern music are variations and/or combinations of the same types of musical instruments, played at different speeds or with heightened emphasis. There is no biblical basis to declare any particular style of music to be ungodly or outside of God’s will.

3) The content of the lyrics. Since neither the purpose of music nor the style of music determines whether a Christian should listen to secular music, the content of the lyrics must be considered. While not specifically speaking of music, Philippians 4:8 is an excellent guide for musical lyrics: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.†If we should be thinking about such things, surely those are the things we should invite into our minds through music and lyrics. Can the lyrics in a secular song be true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy? If so, then there is nothing wrong with a Christian listening to a secular song of that nature.

However, much of secular music does not meet the standard of Philippians 4:8. Secular music often promotes immorality and violence while belittling purity and integrity. If a song glorifies what opposes God, a Christian should not listen to it. However, there are many secular songs with no mention of God that still uphold godly values such as honesty, purity, and integrity. If a love song promotes the sanctity of marriage and/or the purity of true love—even if it does not mention God or the Bible—it can still be listened to and enjoyed.

Whatever a person allows to occupy his mind will sooner or later determine his speech and his actions. This is the premise behind Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2establishing wholesome thought patterns. Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.†These Scriptures give a clear picture of the kind of music we should not listen to.

Obviously, the best kind of music is that which praises and glorifies God. Talented Christian musicians work in nearly every musical genre, ranging from classical to rock, rap, and reggae. There is nothing inherently wrong with any particular style of music. It is the lyrics that determine whether a song is “acceptable†for a Christian to listen to. If anything leads you to think about or get involved in something that does not glorify God, it should be avoided.

Recommended Resource: I Want to Talk with My Teen About Movies, Music and More by Walt Mueller.
http://www.gotquestions.org/secular-music.html

I struggle with this issue for most of my Christian life. I was saved and a club/wedding DJ for 10 years. I allowed myself to think that I needed to DJ because it supported my family, which it did, but how did glorify Christ? It was a sinful atmosphere--lust, getting drunk and high, etc.

Playing Lil Wayne, Rick Ross or other hip-hop artist that promotes violence, sex, drugs and blaspheme the name of Christ is not something I choose to listen to anymore. I have grown so much in Christ, that my spirit cannot handle that kind of music. So I researched and found a lot of Christian rap, reggae and soul singers and I listen to them now.

I've heard that there are some Christians who even view these types of Christan music as secular, but I disagree. It is ministry in my opinion and Christ is being glorified.

23Psalm Wrote
I've heard that there are some Christians who even view these types of Christan music as secular, but I disagree. It is ministry in my opinion and Christ is being glorified.
you are right it is a ministry, I myself don't like much old Gospel music anymore, I prefer modern R&B Soul type Gospel and Rock to Metal type Gospel. From Kirk Franklin and Fred Hammond on up to Flyleaf and Pillar. I am currently playing drums in a secular rock band, but we don't do any bad lyrics at all, kids could come to our shows.

Nope, only Christian Rock and Contemporary Christian for me. Petra, Fireflight, Day of Fire, Crystavox, Kutless, Lincoln Brewster, skillet, etc.

I was raised with the idea that "rock music is bad", including Christian rock.

Now that I'm older, though, my opinions have changed. I gradually came to pretty much the same conclusion that this thread does.

My mom still kinda has the same stance and we disagree on this a bit, but actually she's okay with my music choices as long as there's nothing wrong with the lyrics.

Casting Crowns, Skillet, and Relient K are my favorite bands.

I personally find more praise in some secular music than in most of the Christian music that plays today. For me, the hymns and much of the secular music I listen to brings me to a place of thoughtfulness, repentance, and consideration of my beliefs and actions.

I live in a secular corrupted world. Part of it is beautiful part of it is bad.

All of it was created By God. My understanding of my secular world does affect my influence on it. My learning of my christian brothers and sisters music and teaching affects my influence on it.

The lord is interested on our influence on it and its influence on us.

Ok so you have to endure 3 hours of One direction or Justin Bieber to be able to talk to a teenage kid. In the long run it is worth the short term suffering lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was raised on hard rock and metal from the late 70's to early 2000's. When I was saved, I found myself listening to secular music less and less.

About 4 years after I was saved, I looked at the music on my iPod and CD shelf and realized I had not listened to any secular music in months. I though for a while about selling the CDs but then decided not to. Why should I pass along the filth and Ungodly items to someone else for a few measly dollars?

I deleted all the mp3s and threw the CD's away. In total, about 150 albums went into the trash or were deleted. I don't regret it for one minute.

I'm not into music much anymore. 90% of the time I listen to Christian podcasts. When I do play something it's usually Third Day, Michael W Smith, or the other popular Christian bands.

I come from a completely different perspective. I'm a composer of classical music, and most of the music I listen to, I don't even listen to lyrics - I listen strictly to the musical aspects. I will listen to secular music, but I don't pay attention to lyrics or anything. I guess since I come from a more classical background, I use music in a different way than most people do. However, with Christian music, I do listen to lyrics, so I guess it just depends on the music. The lyrics of secular music don't affect, the lyrics of Christian music does. In the end, I feel like that's all that matters.

An Atheist I was talking to once did tell me that rock & roll is about rebellion (I've heard that from at least one other secular source as well), and that is why she didn't like Christian rock because it has an entirely different message.

That she didn't feel that Christian rock had that attitude of rebellion, though, does say something--it's the attitude, not necessarily the music.

Speaking of rebellion, though--technically, we are rebelling against the world. So Christian rock is about rebellion, just a different kind. :biggrin

Years ago, there was someone in the line at our local Wal-Mart and this mother told her kids not to buy anything that has secular music.

I don't have a problem as I listen to all kinds of music. Except rap and heavy metal. Sorry fans of those genres.

But just don't listen to music you know won't be that nice is all I can tell you.

I think sometimes we get pretty legalistic about things. I think you can isolate yourself so much that you are not impacting the very people you are called to (the unsaved). That being said, so called "secular" music is full of Christian musicians making an impact on the un-saved. The band U2 would be considered "secular" by most but they reference the bible countless times in their songs and talk about Christian things. I mean Bono sings "You broke the bonds, Loosed the chains and Carried the cross, Of my shame, Of my shame
You know I believe it," That is as Christian as it gets. The difference is They are going to where the lost are and shining light. Van Morrison has many songs that would be considered "Christian" but he is considered a secular artist. Santana while most of there songs are secular in nature have songs like "Somewhere In Heaven" that speaks of Jesus dying so there is a place for us in heaven. These types of "secular" artists planted seeds in me that eventually broke down my barriers and opened me up to hearing the good news.

Brian Welch former guitar player of Korn who is now saved still plays music that will reach the people. Flyleaf also comes to mind and countless others who's music sounds pure secular but it is not.

There are some christian bands that resonate with me and I like them not because they are christian but because the sound and message together move something in me. I also find the same in secular music. I listen to meaningful songs that aren't too commercial if i can help it. Unless it is blasphemous or promoting anti God things i don't have an issue with secular music.

My choice in secular music is neutral and possibly uplifting. Maybe I am too worldly.

I found this last week i heard it for the first time. Its probably a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c-VY2AUTCnA

In hearing the lyrics I take it to be about a lifestyle choice in preferring the freedom of nature as opposed to city life. I would see nature as what God and a place to be closer in prayer that speaks to me in my preferences. I don't see it for or against God in any way. It speaks of light and day and I equate that with Christ, and was my first thoughts. Its like any art it's open to interpretation.

Something that I've been very interested in, is the growing number of Christian artists that have been signed by "secular" labels. This term itself can be misleading, however, since some of those working for these labels are also believers.

In other words, many Christians--musically--are embracing a new model: be in the world, but not of the world.

I think this is a fantastic way to be salt and light in a dark world. Rather than playing "Christian music" put out by "Christian labels" largely for a "Christian audience," these artists are living out their faith and sharing the good news where it is badly needed. In this way, mainstream media is used as a vehicle for sharing the love of God and the gospel of salvation. Christian artists can also share their lives and struggles, but do so from the standpoint of a biblical worldview. This excites me very much.

This material would also pass the "lyrics" test btw, and different genres reach out to people of varying musical intersts.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back