Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians & secular music

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think sometimes we get pretty legalistic about things. I think you can isolate yourself so much that you are not impacting the very people you are called to (the unsaved). That being said, so called "secular" music is full of Christian musicians making an impact on the un-saved. The band U2 would be considered "secular" by most but they reference the bible countless times in their songs and talk about Christian things. I mean Bono sings "You broke the bonds, Loosed the chains and Carried the cross, Of my shame, Of my shame
You know I believe it," That is as Christian as it gets. The difference is They are going to where the lost are and shining light. Van Morrison has many songs that would be considered "Christian" but he is considered a secular artist. Santana while most of there songs are secular in nature have songs like "Somewhere In Heaven" that speaks of Jesus dying so there is a place for us in heaven. These types of "secular" artists planted seeds in me that eventually broke down my barriers and opened me up to hearing the good news.

Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. This also makes God's grace available to those who shy away from the "church" scene and "Christian" distribution network. Some of these people, myself included, really want to know God, but something about a religious institution has been very painful or frightening. Well, the good news is that God isn't boxed in. He really does seek people out. He goes out in search of those who don't yet know him. I've really seen him do that through music.

BobE, you made an interesting point that I have questioned in the past like this: Is it better for Christians to buy Christian music from "Christian stores" or from secular ones? On the one hand, we can support stores that are dedicated to Christian merchandise. On the other hand, we can demonstrate support for secular stores choosing to sell Christian music, and in a small way be a witness to some people in those companies.

When we show support for secular bands that step on the third rail of faith, it sends the message that they won't necessarily doom their fate by choosing to record these songs. They can be very effective witnesses to people who would never purchase a Christian artist's cd. :thumbsup

well how does one get saved with the lord singing a song over you? or that jesus is a roaring lion. the roaring lion is applied to the devil. yes the lion of the tribe of judah may be where they got that from.

Jason, I'm sure you'd agree there's plenty of Christian artists with bad theology. So, if a secular artist reaches unbelievers with a simple song who would never hear it anywhere else but they are off on a point, is that really a bad thing? I mean, it might get them interested enough to dig deeper.

Anyway, I think I might have contributed to this thread getting off track. I believe mixing secular music in with a life otherwise focused on Christ is not inherently bad. If so, we'd have to separate ourselves from all things secular: TV, print, art, radio talk shows, sports... We could live in a bubble, but then we wouldn't much be living in the world and being a light to it.

i would rather have them preach it right. sorry . we dont need joel osteen to get them in. say it truthfully and let the word do its thing.most of these christian artists are in it for the $$ sadly

BobE, you made an interesting point that I have questioned in the past like this: Is it better for Christians to buy Christian music from "Christian stores" or from secular ones? On the one hand, we can support stores that are dedicated to Christian merchandise. On the other hand, we can demonstrate support for secular stores choosing to sell Christian music, and in a small way be a witness to some people in those companies.

When we show support for secular bands that step on the third rail of faith, it sends the message that they won't necessarily doom their fate by choosing to record these songs. They can be very effective witnesses to people who would never purchase a Christian artist's cd. :thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your reflections :). At this point I think there is a place for both vehicles (music in Christian bookshops, and other outlets). There was a time in my faith when immersing myself in a healthy environment was very important. It was nice to go to the local Christian shop and browse through CDs, DVDs, books etc, hearing worship music in the background and not really worrying about distractions, temptations etc.. I whole-heartedly support this kind of ministry. It meets a real need I think. At the same time, it's nice to hear the message finding its way out into the world as a whole. Very exciting.

I listen to a wide range of music, most is considered "secular" (what ever secular music is) but I enjoy Christian music too. The reason I listen to secular music more though is that find it simply so much better; they just sound so much more polished.

I love listening to Hardcore/rave; it's fast, it's hard and since most tracks have few words, I can make up my own. God has often used it to help pull me through certain situations. But I also find theological and philosophical themes in quite a few songs. Other songs reveal some of the real issues people are experiencing that you never see. 1 song helped me understand a friend so much better.

I do avoid songs that glamorize sex, violence and money but I think a lot can be learned from secular songs. I'll listen to pretty much anything my mood takes me.

I think Christians miss the mark all too often on this issue. A painter can create a seascape with watercolors and it is beautiful even though Christ isn't in the painting. A great composer can evoke emotion or feeling with melodies solely even though the theme isn't purely Christian. All these things can be done to the glory of God.

"Secular music" has only become synonymous with organized evil since Marcuse's "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" during the sixties.

Paul Overstreet, a Country artist and song writer moved to gospel and essentially preached to the choir for the rest of his career. His "secular" music was indeed secular (but with frequent references to God - a common theme in Country music - and moral living) and reached many more listeners than his gospel music.

Certain types of music are, of course, repulsive by nature - "(c)Rap" comes to mind immediately - and should be rejected for their devolution of art.

I think Christians miss the mark all too often on this issue. A painter can create a seascape with watercolors and it is beautiful even though Christ isn't in the painting. A great composer can evoke emotion or feeling with melodies solely even though the theme isn't purely Christian. All these things can be done to the glory of God.

"Secular music" has only become synonymous with organized evil since Marcuse's "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" during the sixties.

Paul Overstreet, a Country artist and song writer moved to gospel and essentially preached to the choir for the rest of his career. His "secular" music was indeed secular (but with frequent references to God - a common theme in Country music - and moral living) and reached many more listeners than his gospel music.

Certain types of music are, of course, repulsive by nature - "(c)Rap" comes to mind immediately - and should be rejected for their devolution of art.

Completely agree :clap

I think the "Christian" music industry has at times been an attempt to legitimize genres that were wrongly labelled "of the devil." Rock music, we were told when I was a teen was "of the devil." To attempt to overcome this title, some labels began to market "Christian rock." Adversaries largely remained unconvinced, but many kids suddenly felt that it was okay to listen to their favourite style of music because it was written by Christian artists and distributed by a Christian label.

A lot of us found this development encouraging, and the music became an outreach tool as well. On the flip-side, however, now anything not distributed by a "Christian" label became suspect. It wouldn't matter if the lyrics were biblical and the author was "Christian." It now had the stigma of being called "secular."

I'm starting to see this change, and I find that encouraging. There are some excellent Christian artists, singing biblical lyrics on "secular" labels. They do this not because they are "wordly," but because they want a gospel message to reach beyond the confines of your local Christian bookstore.

P.S. Some of them sing rap :). I think art is, to an extent, in the ear of the beholder. I think it exists in the expression of the artist, the perception of the appraiser, and in the interation between the two.

I listen to a wide range of music, most is considered "secular" (what ever secular music is) but I enjoy Christian music too. The reason I listen to secular music more though is that find it simply so much better; they just sound so much more polished.

I love listening to Hardcore/rave; it's fast, it's hard and since most tracks have few words, I can make up my own. God has often used it to help pull me through certain situations. But I also find theological and philosophical themes in quite a few songs. Other songs reveal some of the real issues people are experiencing that you never see. 1 song helped me understand a friend so much better.

I do avoid songs that glamorize sex, violence and money but I think a lot can be learned from secular songs. I'll listen to pretty much anything my mood takes me.

I don't know about hardcore/rave (I don’t even know what that is. :)), but in general, I couldn't disagree with your post more! I believe we are in a golden age of contemporary Christian music where it is just as good as anything secular. Many of them use the same studios that secular artists use in Nashville. I could suggest artists like Toby Mac or Third Day and many more. You might not like their style, but I would think you'd have to admit they have a very polished sound.

I don't know about hardcore/rave (I don’t even know what that is. :)), but in general, I couldn't disagree with your post more! I believe we are in a golden age of contemporary Christian music where it is just as good as anything secular. Many of them use the same studios that secular artists use in Nashville. I could suggest artists like Toby Mac or Third Day and many more. You might not like their style, but I would think you'd have to admit they have a very polished sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_hardcore

Most of the music I listen to is secular. I don't listen to anything on the radio, though, because I often don't like whatever is on. I usually listen to metal, which I like because the lyrics in metal often have a serious meaning, unlike a lot of pop music (no offense to people who like pop, but I just cannot consider lyrics by artists like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber genuinely good lyrics). That being said, I stay away from most death metal, since I don't really like it (unless it's melodic death metal) and a lot of death metal bands have gory lyrics. I also stay away from the entire genre of black metal, since its lyrics are often satanic, though there is such thing as Christian black metal.

Most of the music I listen to secular. I don't listen to anything on the radio, though, because I often don't like whatever is on. I usually listen to metal, which I like because the lyrics in metal often have a serious meaning, unlike a lot of pop music (no offense to people who like pop, but I just cannot consider lyrics by artists like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber genuinely good lyrics). That being said, I stay away from most death metal, since I don't really like it (unless it's melodic death metal) and a lot of death metal bands have gory lyrics. I also stay away from the entire genre of black metal, since its lyrics are often satanic, though there is such thing as Christian black metal.

Hi Crusader:

Interesting; which groups do like, Christian black metal?

You seem to like metal, anyway.

Hi Crusader:

Interesting; which groups do like, Christian black metal?

You seem to like metal, anyway.

Yeah, I like metal. I like some rock too, and a little bit of punk and hardcore.

As for Christian black metal, some bands include: Antestor, Crimson Moonlight, Frost Like Ashes, and Horde. I personally don't like black metal though, but if you're into something extreme, check these bands out.

Yeah, I like metal. I like some rock too, and a little bit of punk and hardcore.

As for Christian black metal, some bands include: Antestor, Crimson Moonlight, Frost Like Ashes, and Horde. I personally don't like black metal though, but if you're into something extreme, check these bands out.

Crusader7000:

So what are your favorite Christian metal groups?

Exactly. With the idea that songs must mention God or Jesus explicitly a certain number of times in order to called christian, It's no wonder that many Christian artists don't what to be specifically known as Christian artists. The point about reaching a wider audience is a good one too. If one is known as a Christian music artist, then it's pretty much guaranteed that the only people who will hear you are people who are already Christians. OTOH, an artist who is Christian, but who chooses to be known as a musician/artist and who still has the Christian message an meanings in their music although perhaps a little more subtly, will have that message reach a much larger audience. And hearing such things are often the seeds needed for someone to become a Christian. Listening to primarily country music, with the largely positive moral messages, and sometimes even direct references to God/Jesus played a huge part in getting my heart/mind into the proper place for accept Jesus. But at the time, I can guarantee that hearing more specifically "Christian" music I would have tuned it out.

And I disagree that Rap as a music forum is necessarily repulsive or un-Christian. Ever hear of Toby Mac or Kirk Franklin? Or the clearly Christian rap in the movie The Fighting Temptations?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back