Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Closet Christian Rock Bands?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Edward

2024 Supporter
You know, when I was a young man, I was into rock for all the wrong reasons. Now that I am older, I still like the music but I'm noticing that many bands who on the surface may seem to be embracing the dark side...are not if you listen to the lyrics. Ozzie is a prime example. Ted Nugent another. Who all here remembers Uriah Heep? Total rock band. Here's the lyrics form their song Easy Living:

This is a thing I've never known before, it's called easy living.
This is a place I've never seen before, and I've been forgiven.
Easy living, and I've been forgiven,
since you've taken your place in my heart.
Somewhere along the lonely road I had tried to find you.
Day after day on that windy road I had walked behind you.

Waiting, watching, wishing my hard life away.
Dreaming, fainting, ready for love every day
and some easy living.
Somewhere along the lonely road I had tried to find you.
Day after day on that windy road I had walked, walked behind you.
since you've taken your place in my heart.//
(and this on the Demons and Wizards album no less!)

Now that is clearly talking about Jesus. There's just no way around it. I've always thought that The Moody Blues were Christians also. Perhaps some rock bands didn't want to be a Christian band because there was more money to be made as a rock band? Or perhaps they were trying to send The Message to the drug culture? Hmm. Praise the Lord. Do you agre? What are some bands that you have seen that are closet Christians?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they name the name of Jesus I can hardly believe they are actually talking about Him as you can not take one word like forgiven thinking they are actually talking about Christ forgiveness. I think easy living was one who was doing some tokes and not having a care in the world. I know Christian rock bands were not highly accepted back then as they are today, which I have no problem with them as many of these members help others come to Christ. If all their songs reflected Christ then I would say they might be an early Christian rock group, but where are the fruits of their labor would have to be my question. Just my opinion.

Unless they name the name of Jesus I can hardly believe they are actually talking about Him as you can not take one word like forgiven thinking they are actually talking about Christ forgiveness. I think easy living was one who was doing some tokes and not having a care in the world. I know Christian rock bands were not highly accepted back then as they are today, which I have no problem with them as many of these members help others come to Christ. If all their songs reflected Christ then I would say they might be an early Christian rock group, but where are the fruits of their labor would have to be my question. Just my opinion.

hi for his glory:

There are one or two more threads about Christian hard rock and heavy metal, too.

Do you like Christian hard rock concerts?

Blessings.

Well, I don't know about Uriah Heep. In the dark recesses of my memory, I seem to remember one song by them--IIRC, the video had motorcycles and scantily clad women in it, and I always thought of the Moody Blues as being into Eastern (Buddhist/Hindu) mysticism. So I don't know about these secular rock bands.

I know about the Cambridge Singers, though. Their music is thoroughly Christian :)

Warning!

31035684.jpg

Are closet Christian rock bands like garage Christian bands, only smaller?

I posted in another thread somewhere and ages ago about Ozzie / Black Sabbath especially their title tune Black Sabbath. A lot of Christians have always assumed it was a song in praise of satanic worship. However if they took the time to listen or read the lyrics they would understand it is quite the opposite.
The same can be said for Iron Maidens "Number of the Beast" (with a great intro by Vincent Price) they are actually anti-satanist songs.

I posted in another thread somewhere and ages ago about Ozzie / Black Sabbath especially their title tune Black Sabbath. A lot of Christians have always assumed it was a song in praise of satanic worship. However if they took the time to listen or read the lyrics they would understand it is quite the opposite.
The same can be said for Iron Maidens "Number of the Beast" (with a great intro by Vincent Price) they are actually anti-satanist songs.

Exactly. I accidently heard Black Sabbath Lyrics and went huh? Did they just say that? Those songs are pure genius. Reaching the crowd that would never listen to traditional Christian music. Planting seeds in their subconscious for their heart to chew on. I read that even if lyrics are seemingly unintelligible, that the subconscious still understands.

Unless they name the name of Jesus I can hardly believe they are actually talking about Him as you can not take one word like forgiven thinking they are actually talking about Christ forgiveness.

Uh-huh, they must be talking about his ex-girlfriend forgiving him for cheating or something. LOL. You, my friend, are speaking as a mature Christian and failing to realize that these songs are the first message of faith that some hear. To many young people who do not know Christ, Jesus is a bad word and would turn them off to listening to it. The subtle lyrics keeps them listening over and over. This is no slam on Jesus to not name Him in a song about Him. Many are ashamed of the name of Jesus when they first come to faith, and only after a little growth become proud of it. This is the Lord working to reach the sub-culture. You must not like rock?

Doobie Brothers. Jesus is Just Alright...better?

Hi there; personally I'm not into the bands mentioned; but Red has got some really good Christian hard rock tracks. Some of them are more overtly Christian than others but anyway, Red's Forever sounds great and has great lyrics, too.

Blessings.

Skillet really isn't closet, as it's not hard to tell that they're Christians. Christian catalogs still advertize their stuff, and they've toured with Winter Jam more than once.
They started out as a Christian band and this was obvious in their earlier songs, but the Christian message in their songs began to get more subtle at some point. (Also some of their songs are obviously not meant to have to have Christian messages. Don't Wake Me and Should've When You Could've are obviously not specifically Christian songs.) I think it's because they're trying to reach a broader audience. And you know what? It does appear that a lot of non-Christians love their music. I'd say that's a good thing.

Skillet really isn't closet, as it's not hard to tell that they're Christians. Christian catalogs still advertize their stuff, and they've toured with Winter Jam more than once.
They started out as a Christian band, but the Christian message in their songs began to get more subtle at some point. (Also some of their songs are obviously not meant to have to have Christian messages. Don't Wake Me and Should've When You Could've are obviously not specifically Christian songs.) I think it's because they're trying to reach a broader audience. And you know what? It does appear that a lot of non-Christians love their music. I'd say that's a good thing.

questdriven:

I guess whatever it is from Skillet or Red that you listen to, it all helps to get people into the hard rock mood, I suppose, right?

But some of the lyrics are identifiably Christian, anyway.

And it does identify Christian witness with real hard rock.

Blessings.

They started out as a Christian band and this was obvious in their earlier songs, but the Christian message in their songs began to get more subtle at some point. (Also some of their songs are obviously not meant to have to have Christian messages. Don't Wake Me and Should've When You Could've are obviously not specifically Christian songs.) I think it's because they're trying to reach a broader audience. And you know what? It does appear that a lot of non-Christians love their music. I'd say that's a good thing.

PS: questdriven:

So how would you rate Winter Jam, in terms of lyrics, and of hard rock, too?

Blessings.

PS: questdriven:

So how would you rate Winter Jam, in terms of lyrics, and of hard rock, too?

Blessings.
Well, it's a Christian music tour every year that features 10 bands each year. There's quite a variety. They help to make lesser known bands more well known, too, I think.
I've only been going since 2012, but I love it. This year they had TobyMac, Red, Matthew West, Jamie Grace, Newsongs, Sidewalk Prophets, Royal Tailor, Jason Castro, OBB, and Capital Kings. I'm familiar with several of those. Even though I was stuck outside this year, I still got to hear several of the bands. (Though not Red. But oh well.)

Well, it's a Christian music tour every year that features 10 bands each year. There's quite a variety. They help to make lesser known bands more well known, too, I think.
I've only been going since 2012, but I love it. This year they had TobyMac, Red, Matthew West, Jamie Grace, Newsongs, Sidewalk Prophets, Royal Tailor, Jason Castro, OBB, and Capital Kings. I'm familiar with several of those. Even though I was stuck outside this year, I still got to hear several of the bands. (Though not Red. But oh well.)

questdriven:

Ty for all the info! you're obviously the right person for such info, since you're a hard rock person. Mind you, I would venture that Jamie Grace (the big feather earring lady, right?) is certainly Christian rock, though probably not hard rock, more soft than hard.

Never mind, maybe Red will show at Winter Jam in the future...?

Re. 'I love it'. Well, I'm sure you do. :) (Maybe your mom should go with you; she might get to like Winter Jam, too.)

Blessings.

They feature a variety of bands, which makes for a variety of styles. I rather like that.

questvariety:

Enough variety for your mom or even your brother to like, too, maybe?

After all, she did buy you Skillet, I guess.

Such events kind of put Christian rock on the map, so to speak.

Blessings.

Back