Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Closet Christian Rock Bands?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
questvariety:

Enough variety for your mom or even your brother to like, too, maybe?

After all, she did buy you Skillet, I guess.

Such events kind of put Christian rock on the map, so to speak.

Blessings.
Oh, my brother loves it. He went to Winter Jam this year and last year.

My mom, though, just doesn't like any of the music styles they have. She has different tastes.

Oh, my brother loves it. He went to Winter Jam this year and last year.

My mom, though, just doesn't like any of the music styles they have. She has different tastes.

questdriven:

I see; well, sounds like he may be growing up to be a hard rock man, just like his sister is a hard rock woman, I guess.

I reckon, though, that whatever your mom's personal tastes, the fact that she gave you the Skillet CD, which is pretty hard rock as a Christian band, means she is reasonably happy for you to like Christian hard rock, though.

And Winter Jam sounds just the sort of event that shows the real potentials for Christian rock anyhow.

Blessings.

Greatest Christian Rock/Metal band is totally Stryper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA. I think they're the greatest, even Metallica opened them up in 1982, haha weird but true story. I don't know a lot of Christian bands but I'm very much into Rock/Heavy Metal. If you like more thrasher, listen to Megadeth. The frontman, Dave Mustaine has converted into Christianity and says he's born again now. Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica in 1982 and he founded Megadeth back in then. Dave became born again in 2004.

Greatest Christian Rock/Metal band is totally Stryper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA. I think they're the greatest, even Metallica opened them up in 1982, haha weird but true story. I don't know a lot of Christian bands but I'm very much into Rock/Heavy Metal. If you like more thrasher, listen to Megadeth. The frontman, Dave Mustaine has converted into Christianity and says he's born again now. Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica in 1982 and he founded Megadeth back in then. Dave became born again in 2004.

AIR:

Interesting; great info.

questdriven:

So, do you like Stryper, too?

Blessings.

Lifestyle means more than words.

And as everyone knows, wearing a cross means you're a Christian, right? Sorry for the sarcasm, Edward, I apologize. But that is pretty slim evidence to base an opinion of someone's faith commitment upon.

I agree with you both, but that's not really the topic to determine commitment or level of faith. More along the lines of the bands who aren't recognized as Christian, or typically viewed as satanic. Which Uriah Heep and the others don't seem to be satanic but have subtle messages of God in them. That easy living song seems to be a song about being born again.

You sure don't see Metallica wearing crosses. That's interesting that Dave Mustaine is born again, I didn't know that. Alice Cooper is born again also from what I hear.

I agree with you both, but that's not really the topic to determine commitment or level of faith. More along the lines of the bands who aren't recognized as Christian, or typically viewed as satanic. Which Uriah Heep and the others don't seem to be satanic but have subtle messages of God in them. That easy living song seems to be a song about being born again.

You sure don't see Metallica wearing crosses. That's interesting that Dave Mustaine is born again, I didn't know that. Alice Cooper is born again also from what I hear.

Does anyone like/recommend Alice Cooper's tracks? not very familiar with them.

AIR:

Interesting; great info.

questdriven:

So, do you like Stryper, too?

Blessings.
I've heard of them.
Heard some "things" about them. But it was on a pamphlet that was totally anti-Christian rock of any kind, so it probably twisted some facts.

There's a game a friend of mine has (that I'd like to get sooner or later) called Guitar Praise, and it has some songs from Stryper. We didn't try them, though. Mostly stuck to bands we knew.

I've heard of them.
Heard some "things" about them. But it was on a pamphlet that was totally anti-Christian rock of any kind, so it probably twisted some facts.

There's a game a friend of mine has (that I'd like to get sooner or later) called Guitar Praise, and it has some songs from Stryper. We didn't try them, though. Mostly stuck to bands we knew.

questdriven:

Oh okay; ty. I wasn't necessarily arguing for or against. I saw and heard some videos of them; at first I thought the lead singer was a woman with long flowing hair! :)

I did confuse the name of the band with Skillet briefly. You know more about them than me, though.

As with everything it's good to weight and consider the sources, when it comes to assessing things and gradually come to a sensible and balanced conclusion that maybe wouldn't be set in stone, anyway.

Blessings.

Does anyone like/recommend Alice Cooper's tracks? not very familiar with them.

I haven't listened to him for a long time but he had some dark tracks back in the day (Dead Babies) and some other pretty good tracks like Schools Out was a big one and, No More Mr. Nice Guy (which Dave Mustaine did too!).All I remember from Alice.

I haven't listened to him for a long time but he had some dark tracks back in the day (Dead Babies) and some other pretty good tracks like Schools Out was a big one and, No More Mr. Nice Guy (which Dave Mustaine did too!).All I remember from Alice.

Edward:

Oh okay, ty.

questdriven:

Oh okay; ty. I wasn't necessarily arguing for or against. I saw and heard some videos of them; at first I thought the lead singer was a woman with long flowing hair! :)

I did confuse the name of the band with Skillet briefly. You know more about them than me, though.

As with everything it's good to weight and consider the sources, when it comes to assessing things and gradually come to a sensible and balanced conclusion that maybe wouldn't be set in stone, anyway.

Blessings.
Oh yeah. I remember the tract accused them of dressing like women or something.
Looked up some pictures on Google images. Can't say I'm a fan of their clothing style (just doesn't appeal to me), but it doesn't look nearly as "bad" as the pamphlet made it out to be, either. Then again, the people who wrote the pamphlet were probably against men with long hair and wearing earrings, etc. I'm not.

Oh yeah. I remember the tract accused them of dressing like women or something.
Looked up some pictures on Google images. Can't say I'm a fan of their clothing style (just doesn't appeal to me), but it doesn't look nearly as "bad" as the pamphlet made it out to be, either. Then again, the people who wrote the pamphlet were probably against men with long hair and wearing earrings, etc. I'm not.

questdriven:

Now men shave their heads completely, so often, and when women go for what would have counted as a short haircut years ago, it's still pretty long in comparison! (You're right in your general observation about guys' earrings, too. Kind of part of the classiness and fun, really, I guess.)

But anyway, I guess we're really discussing Stryper's contribution to rock, here.

Exactly. I accidently heard Black Sabbath Lyrics and went huh? Did they just say that? Those songs are pure genius. Reaching the crowd that would never listen to traditional Christian music. Planting seeds in their subconscious for their heart to chew on. I read that even if lyrics are seemingly unintelligible, that the subconscious still understands.

Uh-huh, they must be talking about his ex-girlfriend forgiving him for cheating or something. LOL. You, my friend, are speaking as a mature Christian and failing to realize that these songs are the first message of faith that some hear. To many young people who do not know Christ, Jesus is a bad word and would turn them off to listening to it. The subtle lyrics keeps them listening over and over. This is no slam on Jesus to not name Him in a song about Him. Many are ashamed of the name of Jesus when they first come to faith, and only after a little growth become proud of it. This is the Lord working to reach the sub-culture. You must not like rock?

Doobie Brothers. Jesus is Just Alright...better?

I have nothing against Christian hard rock bands and why would I as they are a great witness to the youth of today. I might not know the words they scream, but the youth can tell you every word that are in the lyrics. Being a teen myself back in the late 60's early 70's I partied to many rock band songs. Were some closet Christians, I doubt it. I also know there were a lot of code words in their lyrics that spoke about drugs and getting high that could sound like they might be talking about Jesus, but if you followed their lifestyles of using drugs, drinking, sex, I doubt that hardly any of their songs were edifying Jesus in anyway and more edifying that of Eastern Religions, like Buddha and Hindu, just like the Beatles who were heaven into Eastern religions, but some of their songs sounded like they were singing about Jesus and His love.

hi for his glory:

There are one or two more threads about Christian hard rock and heavy metal, too.

Do you like Christian hard rock concerts?

Blessings.

I've been to a couple that my Pastor's son use to play in, but just not my cup of tea, but great for the youth as many come to Jesus through the witness these bands put out there.

I have nothing against Christian hard rock bands and why would I as they are a great witness to the youth of today. I might not know the words they scream, but the youth can tell you every word that are in the lyrics. Being a teen myself back in the late 60's early 70's I partied to many rock band songs. Were some closet Christians, I doubt it. I also know there were a lot of code words in their lyrics that spoke about drugs and getting high that could sound like they might be talking about Jesus, but if you followed their lifestyles of using drugs, drinking, sex, I doubt that hardly any of their songs were edifying Jesus in anyway and more edifying that of Eastern Religions, like Buddha and Hindu, just like the Beatles who were heaven into Eastern religions, but some of their songs sounded like they were singing about Jesus and His love.
I think it's possible that such a song could be about God to someone listening to it, if they choose to interpret it that way. But you have a point.

love them

Welcome to the forums STILL_PRAYING. They are great with witnessing to the youths. I like it when they take a break from the music and do some witness, especially their testimonies. For myself I'm a little more laid back, but do like Kirk Franklin and some of the others that names escape my memory right now, but I like listening to them when I want to really get my praise on and WOOHOO for Jesus, LOL. Yes us old fogies can still WOOHOO with the best of them, LOL.

Welcome to the forums STILL_PRAYING. They are great with witnessing to the youths. I like it when they take a break from the music and do some witness, especially their testimonies. For myself I'm a little more laid back, but do like Kirk Franklin and some of the others that names escape my memory right now, but I like listening to them when I want to really get my praise on and WOOHOO for Jesus, LOL. Yes us old fogies can still WOOHOO with the best of them, LOL.

for his glory:

Well, you're not an 'old fogey' and anyway there's nothing like bit of hard rock, right? and if it's got Christian lyrics, all the better.

Blessings.

I think it's possible that such a song could be about God to someone listening to it, if they choose to interpret it that way. But you have a point.

questdriven:

A bit like Red's various lyrics, right?

Some of them can be interpreted that way; others are more overly Christian. (I still have Red's Forever tune going through my head...)

Blessings.

Back