Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Conflicting messages for Paul

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Jake

Why is Paul told to go to Jerusalem by the Holy Spirit and then told by his disciples, in the Spirit, not to go? Why would the Holy Spirit give conflicting messages? I can't figure it out. :help

He was told to go:
Acts 20:22 22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

Then told not to go:
Acts 21:4 And having found the disciples, we tarried there seven days: and these said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not set foot in Jerusalem.

Paul was only human
AMP
22And now, you see, I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there-- 23Except that the Holy Spirit clearly and emphatically affirms to me in city after city that imprisonment and suffering await me.

4And having looked up the disciples there, we remained with them for seven days. Prompted by the [Holy] Spirit, they kept telling Paul not to set foot in Jerusalem.

Paul was just a man. This shows us ,one who we think is great, still needed advise from fellow Christians. We are to join together not run off physically or spiritually on our own...Seek Godly counsel

Godly counsel does not always agree with ME!

Paul was only human
AMP
22And now, you see, I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there-- 23Except that the Holy Spirit clearly and emphatically affirms to me in city after city that imprisonment and suffering await me.

4And having looked up the disciples there, we remained with them for seven days. Prompted by the [Holy] Spirit, they kept telling Paul not to set foot in Jerusalem.

Paul was just a man. This shows us ,one who we think is great, still needed advise from fellow Christians. We are to join together not run off physically or spiritually on our own...Seek Godly counsel

Godly counsel does not always agree with ME!
Thanks reba, now it brings up more questions for me. If Paul was in err, what if we think we heard clearly from the Holy Spirit, and went to do it, wouldn't the Holy Spirit tell us we have the wrong understanding?

Another thing I noticed in the 2 verses (after I posted the OP), was that in the verse where Paul said the spirit told him to go, it's a small "s", but in the other verse I posted it's a big "S" - lol, so maybe it was just his own making?

If the disciples told Paul not to go, wouldn't the Spirit confirm with Paul that he really wasn't supposed to go?

I dont know how to answer with out giving a personal story.

I got all hyped up about a speaking engagement... all on fire for the Lord..... I was really into it....Surly this is what God wants. listed to myself all the good reasons

Had to be God, this and that fell into place

So and so asked and she is a Godly woman..

I could see the benefits.

I had prayed and still prayed about it.

Praising the Holy Spirit for giving me the strength , power , and lack of fear....

Well i asked my, best go to, spiritual adviser, my mom, she tried to warn me it was not a good idea I am a kid i was in my 40s I didn't listen..

I needed to be humble turning down the engagement would have been the better humbling experience than making a fool of my self as i did. I was full of my self had a big head KNEW what was right.

Not really i needed to be under authority as did Paul....

Do we always hear the Lord? Are we so in step with Him we dont slip?

Some times God directs my path with a 2 by 4

I dont know how to answer with out giving a personal story.

I got all hyped up about a speaking engagement... all on fire for the Lord..... I was really into it....Surly this is what God wants. listed to myself all the good reasons

Had to be God, this and that fell into place

So and so asked and she is a Godly woman..

I could see the benefits.

I had prayed and still prayed about it.

Praising the Holy Spirit for giving me the strength , power , and lack of fear....

Well i asked my, best go to, spiritual adviser, my mom, she tried to warn me it was not a good idea I am a kid i was in my 40s I didn't listen..

I needed to be humble turning down the engagement would have been the better humbling experience than making a fool of my self as i did. I was full of my self had a big head KNEW what was right.

Not really i needed to be under authority as did Paul....

Do we always hear the Lord? Are we so in step with Him we dont slip?

Some times God directs my path with a 2 by 4
I got it! Thanks reba. I've experienced the same 2X4! :) It's kind of weird to think it was Paul who made that mistake, but an example for us, too. Sometimes it's hard to have a clean, clear heart, one that does exactly what God wants us to do, w/out pride and self-righteousness presenting themselves.
In your case and Paul's, God did throw up a red flag, though. I wonder if God warns us everytime we're going to do something stupid and we just don't listen?

Why is Paul told to go to Jerusalem by the Holy Spirit and then told by his disciples, in the Spirit, not to go? Why would the Holy Spirit give conflicting messages? I can't figure it out. :help

He was told to go:
Acts 20:22 22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

Then told not to go:
Acts 21:4 And having found the disciples, we tarried there seven days: and these said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not set foot in Jerusalem.

It was the last time that Paul would see the group alive. They were ALL torn between this fact! God in Acts 9 told the church that Paul would be directed by God. What Paul knew, the church did not know yet. But, both were faithful to the knowledge that was given. We do see the real HARD DUTIES that are required in puting God First in our lives even while knowing that it could cost us our life, +, and does have the one being judged fasely even at times, (but not this group) huh? Matt. 10:25

Consider Eze. 9's last day duties!

--Elijah

It was the last time that Paul would see the group alive. They were ALL torn between this fact! God in Acts 9 told the church that Paul would be directed by God. What Paul knew, the church did not know yet. But, both were faithful to the knowledge that was given. We do see the real HARD DUTIES that are required in puting God First in our lives even while knowing that it could cost us our life, +, and does have the one being judged fasely even at times, (but not this group) huh? Matt. 10:25

Consider Eze. 9's last day duties!

--Elijah
Did they know at the time it would be the last time they saw him alive?

The more I study this, the more it seems that maybe Paul was not disobeying, but it was just that yes, the Holy Spirit DID tell him to go and perhaps the disciples were testing him or misinterpeted it. Knowing your friend would be in danger, we would all try to keep them from going, right?

Paul knew he would be bound in chains.

And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulation await me. Acts 20:22-23

When Agabus told him of his vision, it could be that all misinterpeted it, except for Paul, because we all know we will suffer for the sake of the cross, and Paul knew this, too!

In Acts 23:11, God tells Paul he must testify in Rome, so it does fit that it was the Holy Spirit telling him to go to Jerusalem, and Paul was simply obeying, although knowing the "tribulation await me".

Rockie,

Another personal story....

I was complaining to mom about God not speaking to me.....Sorta like God does this for Sally and told Linda that and did this for Joe that general stuff.... Mom, Why does God not talk to me? She replied " Well when do you just shut up and listen "

Often we tend to say God did not answer a prayer because we dont like the answer.

The more I study this, the more it seems that maybe Paul was not disobeying, but it was just that yes, the Holy Spirit DID tell him to go and perhaps the disciples were testing him or misinterpeted it. Knowing your friend would be in danger, we would all try to keep them from going, right?

We can rest in Him knowing He can often over look our actions and sees our hearts.

Rockie,

Another personal story....

I was complaining to mom about God not speaking to me.....Sorta like God does this for Sally and told Linda that and did this for Joe that general stuff.... Mom, Why does God not talk to me? She replied " Well when do you just shut up and listen "

Often we tend to say God did not answer a prayer because we dont like the answer.
:) I completely understand this.
Many times I don't like the answer God gives me. I wrote this somewhere on the forum before, but one time I wanted to go to a party, but I knew I wasn't supposed to go, so I didn't - but was very angry, like a 5 year old - ha, and it was busted by the cops.
Walking in and obeying the Spirit is not easy but hopefully it gets easier. lol

The only reason our hearts are pure is because they are washed in His Blood. Man on his own does not have a pure heart.

Paul knew he would be bound in chains.

And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulation await me. Acts 20:22-23

When Agabus told him of his vision, it could be that all misinterpeted it, except for Paul, because we all know we will suffer for the sake of the cross, and Paul knew this, too!

In Acts 23:11, God tells Paul he must testify in Rome, so it does fit that it was the Holy Spirit telling him to go to Jerusalem, and Paul was simply obeying, although knowing the "tribulation await me".

Agreed, very well stated in several postings. Even as FAITH is not a done deal yet, huh? So we do not know the exact outcome except by faith. Heb. 11:13 as in Acts 9:15-*16.

Agreed, very well stated in several postings. Even as FAITH is not a done deal yet, huh? So we do not know the exact outcome except by faith. Heb. 11:13 as in Acts 9:15-*16.
Yes, our walk is not easy, and as Peter pointed out there will be suffering, and the world hates us because they first hated him!

Sometimes I can still go the other way, when I know there is suffering involved. :yes I think that's why it's important to see Paul going and also being told he would suffer and be bound in chains. I have my own experiences, but it helps to see how others persevered under fire.

I see no conflict. Paul was told by the Spirit he would suffer in Jerusalem and the disciples also were aware through the spirit he would suffer there and understandably did not want him to go. That's how I interpret it.

I see no conflict. Paul was told by the Spirit he would suffer in Jerusalem and the disciples also were aware through the spirit he would suffer there and understandably did not want him to go. That's how I interpret it.
Thank you childeye, I do see that now.

peace.

He was told to go:

Then told not to go:

Hi Rockie,

I thought I would pitch in here because I see this a little bit differently than some of the views expressed here so far.

Riverwolf actually made a thread similar in topic to this just a month or two ago about who Agabus was (the one who warned Paul about going to Jerusalem). You can see my reply here where I explained that I saw it merely as a warning but not a forbidding word from the Spirit about what going to Jerusalem would cost. As I pointed out in my post there, Jesus also knew what he was about to face in His crucifixion (even when he was told by Peter that he shouldn't go through with it) and was also even greatly distressed about it in the garden of Gethsemane, yet he did it anyway.

The NASB reads this for Acts 21:4, "After looking up the disciples, we stayed there seven days; and they kept telling Paul through the Spirit not to set foot in Jerusalem." I believe that this shows that the Holy Spirit revealed to them (like He did to Agabus) what would befall Paul, and then because of it they expressed their concern because of the revelation given to them, of their own accord, to beg him not to go. I do not see an explicit command by the Holy Spirit not to go stated anywhere, although I can see where people might get that idea. I find this issue is illuminated further in the episode that followed about Agabus.

The passage reads: "10 As we were staying there for some days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, “This is what the Holy Spirit says: ‘In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” 12 When we had heard this, we as well as the local residents began begging him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14 And since he would not be persuaded, we fell silent, remarking, “The will of the Lord be done!” " (Acts 21:10-14)

What we see here is that what Agabus tells Paul from the Holy Spirit is informational, giving a solemn warning of what will happen if he goes, however Agabus does not forbid Paul from going in the name of the Holy Spirit. We see that Paul's friends naturally, and certainly not wrongfully, emotionally responded by begging Paul not to go to Jerusalem to his certain imprisonment. We do not see here, though, a clear statement of the Holy Spirit forbidding anything, like is seen in Acts 16:6 where it says, "They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia". And in fact, after they had given up begging Paul they said, "The will of the Lord be done," which certainly - if the people and Paul had known that that will was to expressly forbid Paul from going - they would have rather rebuked Paul and told him the Spirit's will. Paul also, I believe, would not have knowingly disobeyed the Spirit, especially when he in previous times (as in Acts 16:6) had obeyed. Nothing in the context of Acts 21 implies that Paul was being disobedient to a command of the Holy Spirit. I believe rather that the warning was given as a matter of fact, to let him know and be aware of the full consequences of what would happen to him if he returned to Jerusalem.

Also remember (as a backdrop to all this) that Paul in a few of his epistles (and also in Acts; cf. Galatians 2:10; Acts 24:17; Romans 15:24-28; 1 Corinthians 16:3-4; 2 Corinthians chapters 8-9) had mentioned the collection for the poor Jews in Jerusalem that he had literally been collecting for years from Christian congregations among the Gentiles. And so Paul especially wanted to return to Jerusalem to finally deliver all of that gift offering money that the Gentile Christians had laid aside for Paul to give to the Jews in Jerusalem. To not go to Jerusalem after all would have invalidated all that previous effort of giving, for which Paul had highly praised all the Gentile churches.

So I hope in light of all this that I have made a sufficient case for seeing Paul's actions as not being disobedient, but rather him hearing a warning given of what would happen to him if he went to Jerusalem, as revealed by the Holy Spirit - but not forbidden by the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,
~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I see now that childeye basically said the same thing. I just elaborated on my reasoning.

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back