Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

contradictions in the bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

granturissimus

i've been reading the new testament and i notice a lot of contradictions. when jesus cursed the fig tree it withered instantly in one place, and in another place it says it withered the next day or after 2 days or soemthing. one place it says there was one demon possesed man that met jesus at the shore, another place says there were 2 demon possesed people that met him there.

then theres a lot of islamic sites that love posting bible contradictions, like this site: http://islamicemirate.com/index.php...d=72:comparitive-religion-articles&Itemid=211
number 92 caught my eye, where they give an example of genesis 6:6 where god says that regrets making man. but god knows the future, he knew man would become like this when he created them, why would he regret making them?

how are all the contradictions in the bible explained? at least the once that i've provided.

im a struggling christian, i've been tormented by doubt that god even exists for over a year now, it really sucks living like this, and seeing all the contradictions in the bible doesnt help.

I feel your pain brother.

It's great that you are reading the scripture, and it's great that you are asking questions.

I have been in the David Icke site forum for over a year evangelizing, conspiracy theorists, God haters and particularly bible haters. This topic always comes up - Believe me there are some annomolies that apear in the ENglish translation of the original greek and Hebrew Scriptures. ALL bar none have a reasonable explaination and you owe your self (no less for your own state of mind and spirtual well being) the task of looking into it closely until you know the answer. You may need to help some else who is struggling with the same thing one day. SO make a project out of it and pour yourslef into it. You will enjoy it and God will speak to you through the excercise. The Joy is in the doing.

Re the four Gospels, remember they are four different accounts by four different people.

Can you please give the scripture refrences, in particular, and I will help you out as much as I can brother.

Bare in mind this is all propganda started, in the main by Muslim Fundamentalist sites, also bare in mind that the Koran is a direct palagurism of the word of God.

PS - we are all struggling christians. Don't be afraid.

how are all those contradictions in The Bible explained?

1. By considering how that idea of Bible contradictions is being presented, and by whom.

2. By beginning to understand not all events written in the Four Gospel Books are speaking of the same exact event.

3. By going back to the manuscripts of God's Word, getting closer to the primary source, instead of just reading various translations, some which become farther and farther removed from the original.

4. And most of all, through prayer. Why should God show any of us anything if we try to get understanding on our own, without Him? Those who think they are wise unto themselves will run around in circles trying to understand many things in God's Word that will be kept hid from them until they realize they must first go to The Father through His Son Jesus Christ.

5. Through furthering one's education. How can a Bible student understand God's Holy Writ if they haven't first learned how their own language works, like grammar, figures of speech, idioms, etc. This is why the early foundation of colleges in America were begun by and operated by the Christian Churches.

6. By Bible study tools called servants of The Living God sent among us to help us become a 'workman' in His Word, so we might learn to rightly divide God's Truth.

The issue of alleged contradictions in the Bible is an important topic for study .... I've noticed numerous alleged (remember - ALLEGED) contradictions in the Bible, but have found answers for most of them.

I was dealing with this one found in Acts 21:10-11

I have found several explanations for this one, but I believe that it was the Jews who were responsible for having Paul bound, and so Agabus was not a false prophet, as some have claimed, but only made a general prophecy, using a metaphor, regarding the capture and impisonment of the apostle Paul.

granturissimus said:
i've been reading the new testament and i notice a lot of contradictions. when jesus cursed the fig tree it withered instantly in one place, and in another place it says it withered the next day or after 2 days or soemthing. one place it says there was one demon possesed man that met jesus at the shore, another place says there were 2 demon possesed people that met him there.
As far as the demon possessed man goes, the one account simply only mentions the one man while the other mentions both.
You have to remember that this are historical accounts written by two different men with what could have been different points to make.

Lets say I go out to the parking lot outside and I tell you about the black Ford sitting out there. I go to great detail about this vehicle, telling you about it inside and out.
Now, someone else goes out there, sees the black ford, but also sees a green Chevy and decides to tell you about both.
Is there a contradiction ?

This type of thing is often just a matter of perspective in scripture
:)

follower of Christ said:
granturissimus said:
As far as the demon possessed man goes, the one account simply only mentions the one man while the other mentions both.
You have to remember that this are historical accounts written by two different men with what could have been different points to make.

Lets say I go out to the parking lot outside and I tell you about the black Ford sitting out there. I go to great detail about this vehicle, telling you about it inside and out.
Now, someone else goes out there, sees the black ford, but also sees a green Chevy and decides to tell you about both.
Is there a contradiction ?

This type of thing is often just a matter of perspective in scripture

I was thinking that perhaps one of the writers of the New testament may have only seen (or whoever saw them) one of the demon possessed persons (maybe the first one had already left, or was hidden by people in the crowd?).

vja4Him said:
I was thinking that perhaps one of the writes of the New testament may have only seen (or whoever saw them) one of the demon possessed persons (maybe the first one had already left, or was hidden by people in the crowd?).
Well, yeah, I mean since we dont know what the writer was thinking it could be just about anything that caused them to only speak about one man instead of two. :)
Ive just found that most of these so called 'contradictions' in scripture are often nothing of the sort once we take the human factor into account.
We forget sometimes, I think, that altho God inspired men to write, that he still used their eyes, ears and minds in the process.

granturissimus said:
then theres a lot of islamic sites that love posting bible contradictions, like this site: http://islamicemirate.com/index.php...d=72:comparitive-religion-articles&Itemid=211
number 92 caught my eye, where they give an example of genesis 6:6 where god says that regrets making man. but god knows the future, he knew man would become like this when he created them, why would he regret making them?
Honestly, I think the the word 'regret', among many others, is used just to give us the details in a way that our minds can easily comprehend them.
I dont think that God 'regretted' in any way that meant that He didnt know what was coming.
I think the word is just used because we understand it.

Also, you have to bear in mind that some Hebrew words and phrases are very difficult...both to know the exact intent from that point in time....and also to translate into another language. Ive heard that there are some Hebrew phrases that simply cannot be perfectly rendered into English because there isnt any perfect counterpart in our language.
This *may* be such a case. Maybe the original Hebrew word we translate as 'regret' doesnt actually mean exactly that to the ancient Hebrew mind who read it as we understand our word 'regret' that would imply something took us by surprise.
Not saying that is the case, but just try not to take some garbage islamic sites word for anything as they have a purpose in life to bash our faith and our scriptures.

First of all, most "contradictions" are not really contradictions. Just because one account mentions one man and another account mentions 2 men doesn't make it a contradiction. Now if one account said that there was ONLY one man and the other account had 2 men, then that MIGHT be a contradiction...but even then you would have to verify that it was the same event at the same time and at the same place for it to really be a contradiction. There are good, reasonable answers for every alleged "contradiction" in the Bible. One just has to want to know the answers.

then theres a lot of islamic sites that love posting bible contradictions, like this site:

I can bet there are a lot of Islamic folks, who would hate! for me to start posting things wrong with the Koran.

If you go to the trouble of taking the time to research these supposed contradictions, you will find there are not any. But the most important thing to do; is stop looking for things wrong, and start looking for Jesus in the scriptures when you read the Bible. After all that's what they are all about.

The Bible is not supposed to be a book about Earth history, Geography, Science, or Twenty questions, but its about Gods plan to redeem mans sinful Soul, and the Saviour he provided to take away our sin. :amen

samuel said:
then theres a lot of islamic sites that love posting bible contradictions, like this site:

I can bet there are a lot of Islamic folks, who would hate! for me to start posting things wrong with the Koran.

If you go to the trouble of taking the time to research these supposed contradictions, you will find there are not any. But the most important thing to do; is stop looking for things wrong, and start looking for Jesus in the scriptures when you read the Bible. After all that's what they are all about.

The Bible is not supposed to be a book about Earth history, Geography, Science, or Twenty questions, but its about Gods plan to redeem mans sinful Soul, and the Saviour he provided to take away our sin. :amen

Amen to that, but God's Word does indeed include much earth history and science.

Oh yes no doubt it does, but it is not about Earth history, or Science. And really should not viewed as such, (raises too many questions for the critical). Not that they are not answerable, but who has the time ??. :)

Yes, lots of contradictions

toddm said:
First of all, most "contradictions" are not really contradictions. Just because one account mentions one man and another account mentions 2 men doesn't make it a contradiction. Now if one account said that there was ONLY one man and the other account had 2 men, then that MIGHT be a contradiction...but even then you would have to verify that it was the same event at the same time and at the same place for it to really be a contradiction. There are good, reasonable answers for every alleged "contradiction" in the Bible. One just has to want to know the answers.

Yes, the Bible is riddled with contradictions. Some examples are the one mentioned above, plus the way that Judas died, the time of Jesus' death, the name of Joseph's father, the last words of Jesus, ...and many more.

Can these be reconciled? Certainly, if you want to make a bunch of arbitrary assumptions that are only assumed in order to patch over the contradiction. Almost any contradiction can be reconciled with enough arbitrary assumptions but this means that you have left serious scholarship behind

Re: Yes, lots of contradictions

Physicist said:
toddm said:

Yes, the Bible is riddled with contradictions. Some examples are the one mentioned above, plus the way that Judas died, the time of Jesus' death, the name of Joseph's father, the last words of Jesus, ...and many more.

Can these be reconciled? Certainly, if you want to make a bunch of arbitrary assumptions that are only assumed in order to patch over the contradiction. Almost any contradiction can be reconciled with enough arbitrary assumptions but this means that you have left serious scholarship behind

If they cant be reconcilled, then all our faith is in vein, particulary if the word of God is a contradiction (in any place). There's some serious scholarly advise for you to do a thesis on.

And if you want to be scholarly about it please supply the exact srcipture verses you are alluding too, and we can look at each individual case in a scholarly fashion.

I appologise for my tone, however this is of fundamental importance and relevance to the foundation of the Christian faith.

Physicist said:
toddm said:

I'll guarantee you that a born-again believer, listening to the Holy Spirit, will find no contradictions in the Bible. On the other hand...when those outside the faith attempt to read it, it will be foolishness to them. It's meant to be that way.
1 Corinthians 2:14 said:
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

glorydaz said:
Physicist said:
toddm said:

I'll guarantee you that a born-again believer, listening to the Holy Spirit, will find no contradictions in the Bible. On the other hand...when those outside the faith attempt to read it, it will be foolishness to them. It's meant to be that way.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes that's all well and good and I agree with you, however the fact is there are obvious appearances on the surface of contradictions/mistakes that warrant serious discussion, and they are valid concerns to be addressed. The original poster is a Christian remember and the physicist is a scholar both deserve a valid explaination. .

Here is an example of one of the first one of 101 commonly touted contradictions in the bibe that I refuted on another forum.

a God Did

(2 Samuel 24: 1) And again the anger of the Lord was kindles against them to say, Go number Israel and Judah

The wrath of God at this time was probably not in response to any specific sin but another general deterioration of worship in Israel. He moved David against them (by employing the services of Satan) IE David said it "Go number Israel", not God, God used Satan to move him to say it. In 1: Chronicles 21:1 we learn that it was Satan who rose up against Israel and incited David to take the census. From this we should probably assume that God allowed Satan to tempt David into sin for the purpose of punishing the people. The numbering or counting of the people is accepted by David as his own personal sin; it was wrong because it was done in pride and self glory.

(b) Satan did

(I Chronicles 2 1:1) And Satan stood up against Israel; and provoked David to number Israel.

In Second Samuel David’s act is attributed to God’s prompting. The accounts are not contradictory but complimentary. God was the ultimate cause in that He was bringing punishment upon Israel. In this instance God was using Satan to do His bidding.

WARNING

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

Panin said:
glorydaz said:

Yes that's all well and good and I agree with you, however the fact is there are obvious appearances on the surface of contradictions/mistakes that warrant serious discussion, and they are valid concerns to be addressed. The original poster is a Christian remember and the physicist is a scholar both deserve a valid explaination. .

Yes, that's all well and good, however, I don't set much store in scholars who don't set much store in the inerrancy of scripture. I don't like to see the Word of God torn apart by anyone, no matter their credentials. Having a legitimate question is different that an all-out assault. What do you think a non-believer would think seeing Christians questioning the Word of God? Judgment will begin with us, and I don't think the Lord would approve of what's being done with His Word. There are a lot of us who cherish each and every word. If man sees contradictions he should seek answers from those who are more mature in the Lord instead of making unsubstantiated claims. It is a holy book, after all.

I feel your passion for the word of God and thats awesome, but all emotion aside, there is an objective point and realities to be dealt with, particularly when a Christian is haveing a hard time about said contradictions. You cant just sweep it under the rug.

But your right it doesnt give an unbeliever the right to start clubbing us about the head over it either. Unless he is a genuine seeker, if not then let him be anathema.

Physicist said:
Yes, the Bible is riddled with contradictions.
If youre looking for 'contradiction's, you'll find them...and my guess is that its by design.
Looking at Gods word we find that He is VERY willing to let a person looking for error find just that.
but this means that you have left serious scholarship behind
In you opinion .... ;)

follower of Christ said:
Physicist said:
Yes, the Bible is riddled with contradictions.
If youre looking for 'contradiction's, you'll find them...and my guess its by design.
Looking at Gods word we find that He is VERY willing to let a person looking for error find just that.
but this means that you have left serious scholarship behind
In you opinion .... ;)

Yes, and it is interesting the Bible even says that God will send them a strong delusion .... But that is a topic for another thread ....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back