Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

contradictions in the bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: A fair challenge

Dear fizzy, the only "scholarly" arguement that has been put forth to "refute" panin's work is that there are numerics found in poems and certain books. Well yes , they where put there, by design, by the authors IE on purpose. This doesnt refute panin's findings that the author of the bible AKA God put them there, it confirms it. ( you need to remember that Panin didn't invent this formula or put it there, he was simply used by God to reveal it to us) Also you cannot compare the pattems in the bible to Moby Dick or the Iliad or a Edgar Alan Poe poem, they don't compare.

The muslims claim there are numerics in the Koran, they dont compare.

Also a thing that may interest you is the phenomenon of bible numerics has aided in the restoration of the word of God as it was originally given. Oh is that right? Yes it is!!!.

Before Panins discovery, all the worlds concordances stated that moses was mentioned in the New Testament 79 times, but this did not correlate with the mathematical fromula panin discovered, so he counted them all again and discoverd that Moses was infact mentioned 80 times, and this of course did fit in with the formula.

It is a check and measure that God put there and it has been used to preserve and restore His word. God aint silly and he aint dumb.

It is evidence of design no less. Who is the designer? I will leave that up to you to decide.

Many of the some 3000 queries that Westcott and Hort left unanswered in the bible have been corrected by Panin. Today I have in my hands the innerrant word of God. God promised to preserve His word, He promised that not one jot or title would pass away, (and thats more than the preserving of just the words, its the presvervation of puntuation marks and paragraphs and fullstops and commas etc etc etc) and He has done just that. How did you think God was going to do this preservation work with out some sort of mathematical plumb line when all and sundry (including the very church of Christ) are crying foul that we do not have the word of God today?????????

Answer me that with a straight face.

Panins work was built upon at least 100 years work by other dedicated bible scholars and Panins work alone took well over 50 years. So we are talking about 150 to 200 years worth of work in restoring the scripture to the original after it was near obliterated some 300 years AD.

The arguements always go from mocking the validity to discounting the validty. But the evidence doesn't move or change.

As for recommending me some extra reading, my I suggest you that read some of Panins works before you go comparing it to Moby Dick.

God bless.

The reality is that the numeric pattern is found through the WHOLE Bible and not just here and there. Every single word is numerically linked to the rest. In such a manner, that if ONE word is left out of the original, the pattern breaks down throughout the whole. That is one of the reasons we are warned not to add or take away from the Bible's words.

This is evidence that somebody will refute only because they choose
to be ignorant.

Cornelius said:
The reality is that the numeric pattern is found through the WHOLE Bible and not just here and there. Every single word is numerically linked to the rest. In such a manner, that if ONE word is left out of the original, the pattern breaks down throughout the whole. That is one of the reasons we are warned not to add or take away from the Bible's words.

This is evidence that somebody will refute only because they choose
to be ignorant.

Praise the Lord, the only man is two weeks to make a positive comment about the numeric pattern in the bible. (on a Christian forum) HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I cant believe it. This great work has saved you for another day, but look out tomorrow, you' ve got more work to do to keep earning that hard earned salvation of yours. Remember that!

Cornelius said:
The reality is that the numeric pattern is found through the WHOLE Bible and not just here and there. Every single word is numerically linked to the rest.
I've examined Panin's work and others similar to it, and that isn't at all true.

Cornelius said:
This is evidence that somebody will refute only because they choose to be ignorant.
Numerical patterns within texts, especially the bible, have been thoroughly refuted by using critical thinking methods.

People believe inductive hypotheses due to our natural tendency towards confirmation bias. Numerous psychological studies have verified its effect, particularly for pseudoscientific beliefs. For example, confirmation bias is the reason why people that work in maternity wards believe that more births occur during a full moon, even though this claim has been wholly negated by countless experiments.

Hugo said:
Cornelius said:
The reality is that the numeric pattern is found through the WHOLE Bible and not just here and there. Every single word is numerically linked to the rest.
I've examined Panin's work and others similar to it, and that isn't at all true.

Cornelius said:
This is evidence that somebody will refute only because they choose to be ignorant.
Numerical patterns within texts, especially the bible, have been thoroughly refuted by using critical thinking methods.
People believe inductive hypotheses due to our natural tendency towards confirmation bias. Numerous psychological studies have verified its effect, particularly for pseudoscientific beliefs. For example, confirmation bias is the reason why people that work in maternity wards believe that more births occur during a full moon, even though this claim has been wholly negated by countless experiments.

Please provide the refuting evidence of bible numerics.

Thanks. Also what's with the maternity ward analogy , that has what to do with mathematical evidence exactly?????

Does it matter if there are contradictions in the Bible? It is so full of wisdom that you can’t afford not to read it and learn from it. One thing I truly believe is that the words of Jesus, as found in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, are indisputable.

As for believing in God, is it good enough to BELIEVE in him? Aren’t you supposed to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind (Matthew 22:37)â€? “This is the great and first commandment (Matthew 22:38).â€

This verse will come in handy, I believe you will find:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

It is good that you are trying.

elijah23 said:
Does it matter if there are contradictions in the Bible? It is so full of wisdom that you can’t afford not to read it and learn from it.
(Atheist here) I find the Bible to be an interesting photograph of the time period, in the same way that Greek Mythology is of a few hundred years earlier, or that the Quran is of the common era. I don't want the Bible to disappear, it's an invaluable source (As is the mythology of Greece).

You can read Harry Potter and marvel at the storytelling, yet not believe it factually. The same I hold true with the Bible.

elijah23 said:
One thing I truly believe is that the words of Jesus, as found in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, are indisputable.
Above, you said "Does it matter that there are contradictions in the Bible?", so yes, it does matter if you wish to say that all the teachings are literally true.

elijah23 said:
As for believing in God, is it good enough to BELIEVE in him? Aren’t you supposed to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind (Matthew 22:37)â€? “This is the great and first commandment (Matthew 22:38).â€
Yes, believing is all good and well, but belief is not a reason for belief. Unless you support your beliefs with evidence your conclusion is just as justified as any other.

elijah23 said:
This verse will come in handy, I believe you will find:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

It is good that you are trying.
When discussing whether the Bible is correct, it's rather futile to quote the very same book where it says it's infallible then say "therefore it is correct" lol. The Quran says the very same thing, and so does every other of the millions of religions/unsupported superstitions.

elijah23 said:
Does it matter if there are contradictions in the Bible?

YES. 2 Timothy 3 v 16: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."
Numbers 23 v 19: "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfil?"
If even a word of it is proved to be not true, why believe any of it?

Scripture does contain contradictions. It contains mistakes. It contains theological tensions.

It is still uniquely valuable, despite this.

Tissue said:
Scripture does contain contradictions. It contains mistakes. It contains theological tensions.

It is still uniquely valuable, despite this.

I agree, it's invaluable, but I do not believe that it's the inspired word of God, I have almost no evidence in an area that would require more evidence than we have for any of the comparatively weak claims of evolution or cosmological physics.

The bible is no use to anyone if:

A. One doesnt read it
B. It doesn't change lives for the better.

The fact that more lives have been transfromed through reading it ( and books written about it) than any other book in history is proof enough that it is a very special book indeed.

Some of the aledged contradictions have been dealt with in this thread. On other threads whole doctrines are being discussed from two intirely different belief systems IE eternal security verses losing ones salvation etc etc etc, other threads about alcohol, some say it's okay others say it isn't.

One can practically make the bible say anything one wants it to say in order to fit it into the life style choices people have already made prior to even reading it.

Sir Pwn4lot said:
(Atheist here) I find the Bible to be an interesting photograph of the time period, in the same way that Greek Mythology is of a few hundred years earlier, or that the Quran is of the common era. I don't want the Bible to disappear, it's an invaluable source (As is the mythology of Greece).

You can read Harry Potter and marvel at the storytelling, yet not believe it factually. The same I hold true with the Bible.

Above, you said "Does it matter that there are contradictions in the Bible?", so yes, it does matter if you wish to say that all the teachings are literally true.

Yes, believing is all good and well, but belief is not a reason for belief. Unless you support your beliefs with evidence your conclusion is just as justified as any other.

When discussing whether the Bible is correct, it's rather futile to quote the very same book where it says it's infallible then say "therefore it is correct" lol. The Quran says the very same thing, and so does every other of the millions of religions/unsupported superstitions.
There are different things in the Bible. I believe the teachings of Jesus, found in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, are truth. Therefore I can quote them.

As for the rest of the Bible, it is what it is, and there is great debate over that. I personally don’t believe Paul was always correct in what he said, but many people believe the entire Bible is infallible.

You do bring up an interesting point. I use John 3:16 to point out that all we need to do to avoid perishing is believe in Jesus. Admittedly, Jesus did not say this, so you might wonder why I believe it is true. Find an online Bible and do a search on the word “Scripture,†and see what Jesus says about Scripture, noting particularly John 10:35. Therefore, I believe in Scripture. John 3:16 is Scripture.

You will say that if I honor all Scripture, then why don’t I believe everything Paul says? Well, Paul says women shouldn’t speak in church (1 Cor 14:35), but Jesus says we should be just (Matthew 23:23). What justice is there in preventing women from speaking in church? Paul says the law is based on one commandment (Galatians 5:14). Jesus says the law in based on two commandments (Matthew 22:40). When Paul seemingly contradicts Jesus, I go with Jesus.

ProphetMark said:
There are different things in the Bible. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John contain the teachings of Jesus. How can we not believe these teachings?

elijah23 said:
ProphetMark said:
There are different things in the Bible. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John contain the teachings of Jesus. How can we not believe these teachings?

I think what he was getting at is either the Bible was the inspired work of the creator of the universe or it's not.

Panin said:

A. One doesnt read it

I've read it, and it has changed my life for the better. But so has the Quran lol, and all the mythical Gods of Greece.

Panin said:
The fact that more lives have been transfromed through reading it ( and books written about it) than any other book in history is proof enough that it is a very special book indeed.

I know what you're getting at, and I'll have to disagree, the fact that people believe this stuff isn't proof of anything. The Muslims have over a billion members in their little club, I don't see why that means nothing lol. More people have been transformed by reading Harry Potter than have by reading Twilight, does that make it any more true?

The fact that the Bible contains a nice summary of other people's moral teachings up until that point in no way means that it was dictated by the creator of the universe.

Belief =/= truth.

Panin said:
One can practically make the bible say anything one wants it to say in order to fit it into the life style choices people have already made prior to even reading it.

In light of the beliefs of some of my fellow Atheists (Hitchens, for example) who think that religion directly inspires violence I've thought about this a lot. Personally I think religion only reflects what you truly are, if you're a good person to begin with you'll probably be a "good Christian", but if you're bad to begin with you'll end up as a "bad Christian". It condones pretty much everything depending on what you ignore lol.

Sir Pwn4lot said:
elijah23 said:
ProphetMark said:

I think what he was getting at is either the Bible was the inspired work of the creator of the universe or it's not.

Panin said:

A. One doesnt read it

I've read it, and it has changed my life for the better. But so has the Quran lol, and all the mythical Gods of Greece.

Panin said:

I know what you're getting at, and I'll have to disagree, the fact that people believe this stuff isn't proof of anything. The Muslims have over a billion members in their little club, I don't see why that means nothing lol. More people have been transformed by reading Harry Potter than have by reading Twilight, does that make it any more true?

The fact that the Bible contains a nice summary of other people's moral teachings up until that point in no way means that it was dictated by the creator of the universe.

Belief =/= truth.

Panin said:

In light of the beliefs of some of my fellow Atheists (Hitchens, for example) who think that religion directly inspires violence I've thought about this a lot. Personally I think religion only reflects what you truly are, if you're a good person to begin with you'll probably be a "good Christian", but if you're bad to begin with you'll end up as a "bad Christian". It condones pretty much everything depending on what you ignore lol.

There is irrefuteable scientific proof that a supernatural force (I call it God) wrote every one of the 66 books in the bible, through men.

LOL. You have obviously missed the whole point of what the bible is if you surmise that people read and it and end up the same way they where before. IE good or bad Christans, I havent heard anything quite so rediculous as that since yesturday.

The bible is the best selling book in history bar none. But I agree, that doesn't prove that God wrote it, but this is inspite of the fact that the world systems hates Christ and everything He stands for. This is in and of itself a phenomenal statistic.

Surely you are aware that athiesm is a religion dear boy? Your fellow athiest Dawkins in his book "The God Delusion" admits to being a fundamentalist zealot in his beliefs regarding evilution, and in this book he quotes Eienstein as saying "this is a new kind of religion"

So if you think as an athiest you can side step the fact that you are in deed a follower of a religious belief, then you have just been tripped up.

And I will conclude by stating that it takes more blind faith to be an athiest than any other belief system that I know of.

Athiesm is to be the most pittied of all beliefs in my opinion, for the word itself is synomenous with foolishness.

May the flying spaghetti Monster bless you.

Oh but just before I go, I need to point out that I know people who have seen the irrefutable proof that the bible is the word of God including so called Christian (probably bad ones lol), and they said the same thing you said earlier, "That doesn't proof anything". Funny that.

There is no irrefutable scientific proof that the Bible was guided by a supernatural entity.

A lot of world systems really like Christ. Many Christians don't.

Atheism is a religion in the same way that an empty plate is cuisine. It's certainly related. But it's more like anti-religion. It certainly isn't quite parallel to religious systems like Christianity or Islam.

It doesn't take more 'blind faith' (whatever that is) to be an atheist than to be a Christian. Atheism is very much an anti-faith stance. A lot of Christians seem to like to pull out this 'Believing in evolution/atheism (they are, for many, interchangeable) takes more faith than being a Christian' idea, which is just silly. 'Course, it depends upon how one understands faith. Neither the atheist nor the Christian adheres to a blind faith.

Tissue said:
There is no irrefutable scientific proof that the Bible was guided by a supernatural entity. Yes there is.

A lot of world systems really like Christ. Many Christians don't. HUH?

Atheism is a religion in the same way that an empty plate is cuisine.

Atheism as a concept, never mind a religion, is the most rediculous notion conjured up out of the mind of man.

It's certainly related. But it's more like anti-religion. It certainly isn't quite parallel to religious systems like Christianity or Islam.

Oh contrare, look up the meaning of the word religion.

It doesn't take more 'blind faith' (whatever that is) to be an atheist than to be a Christian. Atheism is very much an anti-faith stance.

Yes it does. And it is a faith/lie based belief system and in order for it even to exist it must deny the irrefuteable proof. Dude athiesm is dead past all caval.

No, a Christian does not adhere to blind faith at all. Not this one any way.

Psalm 49 said:
For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.

Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names.

Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish.

This their way is their folly: yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah.

Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling

Now that's something to look forward to. :shrug

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back