Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Did God Predestinate some to Hell/Wrath ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
I do not view the fact that the god of this world blinds the minds of unbelievers as speaking against their free wills. Inlight of the fact that they do receive enlightenment of their conscience (minds). I mean, after all, they are unbelievers (not believers). And make a conscience choice to remain that way. And reap the consequence(s), one of which is blinding. Doesn't mean they couldnt have made a choice to pursue Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:2 (LEB) but we have renounced shameful hidden things, not behaving with craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but with the open proclamation of the truth commending ourselves to every person’s conscience before God.

I do not view the fact that the god of this world blinds the minds of unbelievers as speaking against their free wills.

And most obviously that sight takes no sight of the blinding will of the other party or the fact that they are "blinded captives" to that other party.

But I understand that people who have themselves spent their whole lives missing the other party are not apt to suddenly awake to that spiritual reality.

I think that such sights DO speak to the "effectiveness" of Gods BINDING, one to the other, not only with unbelievers, but also with partial sighted believers.

Romans 11:32
For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

And likewise, it is only GOD who can show any "believer" the difference, OR increase the level of disobedience, til it's obvious.

This is exactly what Paul speaks of, here:

Romans 9:
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

There are still TWO parties in play, in the above. And yes, God does use ONE, HARDENING, to BLIND and "put to sleep" the other.

Romans 11:
8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.

And only God Himself, in Christ, can BREAK that spirit of slumber, that is put upon the blinded captives.

People who can't see or count to TWO, will see "freewill." And can NOT, for any reason, see the reality of the other party, the other will, and GODS CONTROL over the entire LOT. This too is Gods Working.

Romans 11:
8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.
Who's the "them"??? And when were they given eyes that they should not see???

Romans 11:7 (LEB) What then? What Israel was searching for, this it did not obtain. But the elect obtained it, and the rest were hardened,
God gave all of Israel choice after choice to follow Him. Some made the right choice and some didn't. Once again we see free will at play. As I said, there are consequences to remaining an unbeliever.

I think that such sights DO speak to the "effectiveness" of Gods BINDING, one to the other, not only with unbelievers, but also with partial sighted believers.
Partially sighted believers ARE believers. And we're all partially sighted.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (LEB) For now we see through a mirror indirectly, but then face to face. Now I [Paul] know in part, but then I will know completely, just as I have also been completely known.

Partially sighted believers ARE believers. And we're all partially sighted.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (LEB) For now we see through a mirror indirectly, but then face to face. Now I [Paul] know in part, but then I will know completely, just as I have also been completely known.
Since agreement is sometimes a rare bird, I TOTALLY concur. And would even consider this to be "mandatory sight" for anyone who claims they see/hear Gods Words. The fact of the matters is exactly as Paul himself stated for himself. He saw only in part and as through a glass, darkly. 1 Cor. 13:12.

How might we then "recognize" those who are not telling the truth? When they claim to have "all truth" and see Perfectly. Because that is in fact, a lie.

Quite simple, really. I could list several sects that I would consider, their positions anyway, as blatant liars, when held up to Paul's statement of obvious fact, that exactly NONE of us see capital P, Perfectly. Was Paul the "vicar of Perfection?" Gods own man on earth? Never did an Apostle, a TRUTHFUL Apostle, make that claim: Phil. 3:12. Yet we have had many a succession of such people, in the so called 'church.' Haven't we? The church as we view it, in the external senses, fell quite long ago, just as Paul prophesied in Acts 20:29, openly known by their open brazen attempts to DESTROY the flock. Just as clearly branded upon their conscience, their lips and their "doctrinal positions" as an open flame.

But, such is the evil deception that the "will" carries. Seeking ever it's OWN perfection, and not submitting to the position we are factually in which DEMANDS Gods Mercy in Christ upon us all, coming from His "unmerited on our part" GRACE. Yet day in and day out, believers seek their merits. And what they do with them is to frustrate the Grace and Mercy of God in Christ, seeking their own merits.

Paul put "no confidence" in himself, or in his flesh. The ruling of no confidence was in, long before any of us showed up to see it, or in most cases, not see it whatsoever.

As George Carlin once said about power and politics. "It's a small club, and you ain't in it."

With God in Christ, I would say the club member is only ONE, who Is Perfect. I appreciated your sight in another post, where you expressed your personal non-desire to be God. I understand that sight, because it is a sight of truth. I don't want to be "like" God. There are not "multiple copies."

Last edited:

It is the identical structure that is given in 2 Cor. 4:4 and Eph. 2:2. Do you not see the distinction, and the counting, to TWO? "Them" and the spirit of slumber that was put upon them? Paul hammers home this point TWICE in that same chapter, for emphasis, which is the Holy Spirit's way of making a poignant point. Romans 11:8, Romans 11:32. Same as 2 Cor. 4:4, Eph. 2:2 and Acts 26:18. Quite a consistent delivery point. Often gone without notice, and we wonder why? Make no wonder. It's a real phenomena.

Believers, to the person, will always read Gods Words, and they will automatically, our our blindness, see themselves as the lamb, but never as a lamb and wolf, walking in the same pair of shoes:

Luke 10:3
Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

Paul saw himself, accurately, scripturally, counting to TWO:

2 Corinthians 12:7
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

No liar can speak this truth. They are forbidden to do so.

Now ask me how far from our own feet, eternal wrath and eternal damnation really is?

Romans 16:20
And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Last edited:
Believers, to the person, will always read Gods Words, and they will automatically, our our blindness, see themselves as the lamb, but never as a lamb and wolf, walking in the same pair of shoes:

Luke 10:3
Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

Jesus sent out His disciples as lambs, not as lambs and wolves... "in the same pair of shoes".

2 Corinthians 12:7
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Yes Paul was given a messenger of Satan to buffet him

Paul was not given a messenger of Satan in his flesh.

That would be combining a idiomatic statement: thorn in the flesh... which describes a source of frustration, with a literal statement, a messenger of Satan to buffet me.

Furthermore this condition was unique to Paul,...lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations.

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 2 Corinthians 12:7

JLB

Do you not see the distinction, and the counting, to TWO?
Yes, I see it and I can count to two.

I don't mean to be flip about your choice of subject, but... Really, so what?

Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, being rich in mercy, because of his great love with which he loved us, and we being dead in trespasses, he made us alive together with Christ by grace you are saved,
Just something else to be thankful about, IMO. I'm not scared, are you?
Often gone without notice, and we wonder why?
I guess, if you think so. I don't personally know any Christians that haven't figured out that we wage battles. Both from within us (Rom 6:19, 1 Thess 5:23) and outside us (Matt 6:13, Eph 6:11). They all can count to two, though.

Que sera

Jesus sent out His disciples as lambs, not as lambs and wolves... "in the same pair of shoes".

Fraid so. Just like here, identical:

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

We just don't hear, plain and simple. It should be about this time that we recognize that the wolf, the serpent, is evil present with us.

But the wolf and the serpent can NOT hear. Nor can they "speak" Gods Truths in these matters. Nor can they "see."

Romans 11:7 (LEB) What then? What Israel was searching for, this it did not obtain. But the elect obtained it, and the rest were hardened,
God gave all of Israel choice after choice to follow Him. Some made the right choice and some didn't. Once again we see free will at play. As I said, there are consequences to remaining an unbeliever.

Would you please extend to readers of your posts the courtesy of knowing to whom you are replying? The simplest and most courteous way to do this is to use the back-quote icon in the bottom right corner.

See 1 Peter 3:8 (NLT).

Oz

Would you please extend to readers of your posts the courtesy of knowing to whom you are replying? The simplest and most courteous way to do this is to use the back-quote icon in the bottom right corner.

I did. Just like I'm doing here. I was responding to smaller. My reply shows up with his back-quote on it on the CFnet website. If you are not seeing the back-quotes, then you are having technical issues of some kind. I've seen you make this same comment to other folks who are also back-quoting.

If it's a notification you are expecting then check your settings.

Are you viewing the actual website or are you using a forum viewer of some kind? That may be your issue.

Last edited:
I could list several sects that I would consider, their positions anyway, as blatant liars, when held up to Paul's statement of obvious fact, that exactly NONE of us see capital P, Perfectly.
I guess I just don't 'get out enough'. I literally don't know any Christian personally who thinks they see perfectly or who are capital P perfect. And I know a lot of Christians. I've met some blind atheists that think they see perfectly, but no Christians.

Yet we have had many a succession of such people, in the so called 'church.' Haven't we?
I don't know. Not sure who or what sect you mean. I don't watch TV 'evangelists' much at all but maybe some of them are who you mean. I just don't know.

I appreciate many of your posts as well. This one was well written. Your posts certainly make me think about things.

I guess being from the rural south, I just haven't been exposed to the perfect P church. I have served on pastor search committee and one of the things I looked for was humility (being human, not god). All my past pastors are most effective when they use their personal struggles in their flesh as examples rather than pointing out other people's sins.

I expect an atheist to act like one. Doesn't do me as much good as when a pastor points out their own deficiencies (or mine) versus when he uses an example that 'hits me where it hurts'.

I'd much rather come out of a sermon needing to repent than to be told I'm a great person.

Fraid so. Just like here, identical:

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Again this doesn't say they were both serpents and doves.

They were to be as "wise" as a serpent and "harmless" as doves.

Just as the were lambs among wolves, not both lambs and wolves.

JLB

I did. Just like I'm doing here. I was responding to smaller. My reply shows up with his back-quote on it on the CFnet website. If you are not seeing the back-quotes, then you are having technical issues of some kind. I've seen you make this same comment to other folks who are also back-quoting.

If it's a notification you are expecting then check your settings.

Are you viewing the actual website or are you using a forum viewer of some kind? That may be your issue.

There are no problems on p. 1 as most of those have back-quotes. This is on the CFnet website that I'm reading.

On p. 2, these numbers - in my browser (Firefox) - do not show back-quoting: 21, 23, 24, 27, 28. These do show back-quoting: 30, 31. These do not show back-quotes: 32, 33.

I've had no problems previously with Firefox, which is an excellent browser in my experience. I'll check with staff to see what the problem could be.

You are the first one to tell me that you have back-quoted when it has not shown in my browser on CFnet.

Oz

Yes, I'm familiar with the verse. It's found within the passage that tells us to be ready to make a defense to anyone who asks you for an accounting of what we believe. Verse 8 says for us to show mutual affection, not mutual agreement. I believe we both have a mutual affection for Christ and for Scripture. If I've said something about the Scripture (or for that matter, NT Greek) that is in error, please correct me by pointing out my error. I will humbly appreciate it. If we disagree, then we simply disagree.

1 Peter 3:8, 15 (LEB) And finally, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, showing mutual affection, compassionate, humble,
but set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense to anyone who asks you for an accounting concerning the hope that is in you.
When I asked you these questions about our disagreement with what the Hebrews fell away from (Salvation versus repentance) in Heb 6;
Just exactly what phrase, word, or implication is there in this Text that leads your own exegesis to conclude it's talking about Christian apostasy?
What exactly did I say about each line was flat?
your 'answer'; was;
Do you read and study NT Greek?
There is another Greek word for apostasy, but parapiptw also means to 'commit apostasy'. That's according to the etymology of the word.

That did not provide any defense for your position, really. Considering your familiarity with 1 Peter 3 and NT Greek and what you said below:
I agree that answering with a question is hardly the way to reply.

I said the word used in Heb 6 is not the same as apostasy. And it's not. They have similar but not exactly the same meaning. You can apostate from marraige. It's often called divorce. Or you can fall away from marraige. It's often called breaking up with your fiancee. But that's not even the main point of our disagreement. The issue is the Text doesn't say they fell away from (or apostated from) salvation or Christ. People assume that idea into the Text. Similar to how you assume I (and others) are not back-quoting.

All posts on p2 of this thread have back-quotes. Must be something with Firefox. If I knew what the technical issue was, I'd explain it. I use IE or Safari.

Last edited:
Again this doesn't say they were both serpents and doves.

They were to be as "wise" as a serpent and "harmless" as doves.

Perhaps you are missing the obvious? "As" moves the matter to an internal working, not a literal serpent or literal wolves. Hard to discuss the above kind of logic when the statement is both denied and affirmed.
Just as the were lambs among wolves, not both lambs and wolves.

Wolves are an internal matter, scripturally:

Matthew 7:15
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Same can be said for the serpent. These are "internal" observations.

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Jesus affirms the inward location of the serpent, here:

Mark 4:
15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

As do many scriptures.

This "internal understanding" of scriptures and their meanings with regards to that adverse working is, for a fact, TAKEN AWAY by that adversary, to this day. It's a very real working principle.

I guess I just don't 'get out enough'. I literally don't know any Christian personally who thinks they see perfectly or who are capital P perfect.

I would suggest that sects claiming to have a "sole lock" on "all truth" are a fact, and could point to at least 6 major orthodox sects that make such claims.
And I know a lot of Christians. I've met some blind atheists that think they see perfectly, but no Christians.

The claims of having "all truth" equates to being Jesus, who Is Truth. I consider such claims to be religious delusion.

I appreciate many of your posts as well. This one was well written. Your posts certainly make me think about things.

I guess being from the rural south, I just haven't been exposed to the perfect P church. I have served on pastor search committee and one of the things I looked for was humility (being human, not god). All my past pastors are most effective when they use their personal struggles in their flesh as examples rather than pointing out other people's sins.

I expect an atheist to act like one. Doesn't do me as much good as when a pastor points out their own deficiencies (or mine) versus when he uses an example that 'hits me where it hurts'.

I'd much rather come out of a sermon needing to repent than to be told I'm a great person.

The general observation is that we are all faulted internally, and this does not change while we are "in the flesh." This firmly pushes us to understand and move into the Grace and Mercy of God in Christ, because of our "built in" need of His Eternal Conveyances. In faith, these are the Eternal Matters we receive in Christ, and these we also "share in" by distribution/reflecting these things from our lives unto others.

The more interesting aspects of scriptures are WHY these built in faults are so, what are their purposes, how do we steer clear of deeper forms of slaveship, etc. And for these we study, scripturally, the "adversarial" components. How God made them, how do "they" react, for what uses do they serve, etc. etc.

The best scriptural summary of all of these matters is in 1 Cor. 15, where Paul describes that in the Ways of God, there is first the 'natural' which is essentially Divinely doomed to failure. There is a natural temporal/temporary "body" which is in the factual conditions of dishonor, corruption and weakness. This is also expressed by Paul as sin dwelling in the flesh and evil present with us. We, in the spiritual senses, divide from these workings, so they don't rule over us, but to say we don't have them makes us instant liars and hypocrites. It's a tricky place for most believers. We want to be "only good" in order to be "acceptable to God in Christ" and our flesh deceives us into thinking that's the case, that we are only good. Reality however shows that we are entrenched in 'opposition' precisely to show us our need for His Mercy and Grace. When we think we, personally, have removed our faults, then have we not also removed our needs for His Mercy and Grace? This is where a lot of religiously minded people land. They forget our needs in Christ are based on our faults. And conversely, we do not heap Grace and Mercy upon the evil present with us.

These are hard things to understand. That's why Peter warned us about "how" we handle Paul's Holy Spirit inspired writings, because they can FALSELY be wrested to "our own" destruction, when we do not "differentiate" ourselves as Gods children and the "evil present" with us, which is spiritual adversity that is NOT US, that WILL BE destroyed.

2 Peter 3:16

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

At least half the believing people that post here think they see, in the scriptures, their OWN (possible) destruction. This just isn't the case.

God in Christ came to save us, and He Will Prevail.
This matter was not left in our hands. What is it we are being saved from by Him should be the focus of their attempts to understand.

Paul, in order to remind him of GODS GRACE, and in order to keep him from bragging himself into irrelevance, had a "messenger of Satan" put upon him, in his own flesh, to remind him that GODS GRACE IS sufficient for us. And conversely, it will be GODS GRACE that will ultimately DESTROY that messenger of Satan in hell. 2 Cor. 12:7-9. This IS a hard thing to understand. That both "eternal life" was upon Paul and the exact opposite fate is in store for the messenger of Satan in Paul's flesh. This is just a tough tough place to get to for our minds. We are all quite blindly led to see "just Paul." Or just ourselves. This ISN'T the scriptural case that is made about us or about mankind in general. There is mankind, and there is the opposition movement, unseen, that is UPON the minds of all mankind.

In order to understand scripture we have to be able to see TWO PARTIES standing in the same pair of shoes. And no 'natural man' is prone to see that way. They can't. So they only believe part of what the scriptures present and mar the balance.

This entire issue is the product of improperly addressing the scriptures, always has been. The Iron Clad rule of thumb, "No scripture, collection of scriptures, nor any passage of scripture can ever be understood without the light of all scripture shining on it."

And it is so helpful if we understand that in the writing of scripture, God used about forty men to transcribe His Word. Those men did not author the writings, they recorded what God told them to write. For that reason, the Bible is of one context from "In the beginning..." through the very last word of Revelation 22.

Now, in Matt. 19:26 and 12 related verses we learn that our god, God, is The Omnipotent God. That means there is no limit to the power of God in any respect. So it is that I have always taught that God just is! God is here, right now as you read this, God is in the past and God is in the Future, right now!

The Bible teaches us He knows the beginning from the end (Isa. 46:10) and the Bible teaches us that man is created with a free will, much like the God we are the image of. (Duet, 30:19,20)

There can be no conflict of scripture, therefore, these two must be reconciled any time the questions about Predestination arise. We must go to the scriptures to define what God is speaking to when He has it recorded that before the World was, he had written the Book of Life, thus predestining some to life and leaving the rest to death, eternal, never ending, death.

God is not capricious, as we are, creating some to Eternal Life and the rest to Eternal Death, He is a loving God and loves all He creates. (Rom. 5:8, John 3:16) God will still love those He sits in Judgement over and condemns because they chose not to believe.

If we study diligently, there is no contest to win.

The Bible teaches us He knows the beginning from the end (Isa. 46:10) and the Bible teaches us that man is created with a free will, much like the God we are the image of. (Duet, 30:19,20)

I agree with your preamble. But scripture does "not" teach freewill. Scripture teaches that unsaved man has a blinded will.

2 Corinthians 4:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Do we see just and only the "will" of "them" above? No. We see "them" and we see "the god of this world" blinding "them."

Freewill claims make no account whatsoever of the "other party" and is in fact blinded to that party, by that party.

Here, we see again, that there is a captor/captive situation with unbelievers, even ourselves, prior to belief:

Ephesians 2:
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

All the vile things you did prior to believing, that you write about, you think was "just you." It wasn't. It was you under the "control and dominion" of the spirit of disobedience, as it's CAPTIVE.

Your will was not "free." It was a BLINDED captive. Jesus REMOVED your blinder, enough for you to believe and to come out from under control and dominion of that spirit of disobedience.

When Jesus said He came to set the CAPTIVES free, they are set free from A CAPTOR.

And to this day, every time we are "engaged" with temptations, it is not just "us" in our freewill, tempting ourselves. We are being engaged by the spirit of disobedience, in our own minds.

Paul "differentiated" himself from the "sin" dwelling in his flesh, stating that it was "NO MORE I." But "NO MORE I" did operate in Paul's own flesh. Romans 7:17-20. But "NO MORE I" assuredly had ACTIONS in Paul's flesh, causing him to have "lustful thoughts" Romans 7:7-13, causing him to do things he hated, Romans 7:15, even causing him to do evil, Romans 7:19. Paul was no "pollyanna poser." He tells us LIKE IT IS.

Therefore what did Paul find? He found WARRING.

Romans 7:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

What is this "warring?" Us warring against "chemical imbalances" in the flesh? No! It is "warring" with the "spirit of disobedience" in the flesh.

This is why we ARMOR UP, because here is WHO we do battle against:

Ephesians 6:
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Anyone who sees "just themselves" as some kind of a "free will agent" is not looking through the eyes of scriptures.

Pro. 16:9, John 7:17, Rev. 3:20, 1Cor. 10:13, John 1:12,13, 2Tim. 2:26, Gal. 5:16,17, Rom. 10:9,10, Gen. 2:16,17, Psa. 37:23, Duet. 30:19,20, Rom. 13:2, Mark 8:34 and Eze. 18:30-32 must also come into any discussion of What God as said about this.

I believe you and I have discussed this before and you were so stuck on man's doctrine that we went nowhere. Five Point Hyper-Cakvinism can stand in the pure light of all scripture no more than can Amenianism.

Back