Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

dirtfarmer here

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That’s a long time, forever, for a soul to remain incorruptible and pure!

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:22-23

Maybe you didn’t read the scripture.

• having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

The word is what is mentioned that lives and abides forever.

The way a soul is cleansed is obeying the truth.

Here is some truth that needs to be obeyed for us to continue to be cleansed.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

again

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1

JLB

Maybe you didn’t read the scripture.
I read it and believe/obey it’s truth.

The word is what is mentioned that lives and abides forever.
Correct. And abides within our purified soul “forever”. That’s a long time.
The way a soul is cleansed is obeying the truth.
Correct, “through the Spirit” as Peter says. Capital S Spirit, abiding forever in a purified heart. Now that’s baptism in the Spirit!

He is faithfu
:thumbsup

to cleanse us

Yep, He’s a faithful cleanser.

The scripture doesn’t say that. It would be great if it did, but it doesn’t.

Which is why we have such scriptures -

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

again

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1

JLB

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB

I read it and believe/obey it’s truth.

Correct, “through the Spirit” as Peter says. Capital S Spirit, abiding forever in a purified heart. Now that’s baptism in the Spirit!

Yep, He’s a faithful cleanser.

There is no baptism of the Holy Spirit today. It ended with Cornelius.

hello billybalke, dirtfarmer here

1 Corinthians 12:13, " For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
Romans 8:9, " But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
Ephesians 1:13-14, " In whom ye also trusted after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of you salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed that holy Spirit of promise."

These verses states that there is baptism of the Spirit today.

I don't know if you are joking or not but here's an example of baptism in the Holy Spirit at Ephesus through Paul that came years after Cornelius:
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Not joking. And, Acts l9:6 reads nothing about Holy Spirit baptism.

hello billybalke, dirtfarmer here

1 Corinthians 12:13, " For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
Romans 8:9, " But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
Ephesians 1:13-14, " In whom ye also trusted after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of you salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed that holy Spirit of promise."

These verses states that there is baptism of the Spirit today.

Hi Dirtfarmer. Please note that neither Eph.1:13,14 nor Rom.8:9 mentions baptism of any sort. As for I Cor.12:13 please consider this: "BUT THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, WHOM THE FATHER WILL SEND IN MY NAME, HE SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS , AND BRING ALL THINGS TO YOUR REMEMBRANCE, WHATSOEVER I HAVE SAID UNTO YOU". The Holy Spirit inspired the word of God, II Pet.1:21. I understand that to be "baptized by one Spirit" means to be baptized as the Spirit instructs, whether it be Holy Spirit baptism (which occured only in Acts 2 and Acts 10 and 11, or water baptism or the baptism of fire.

If this does not suffice then I invite either you or Mr. Parker to study the issue with me via private conversation on this forum.

God bless, Billy

Hi Dirtfarmer. Please note that neither Eph.1:13,14 nor Rom.8:9 mentions baptism of any sort. As for I Cor.12:13 please consider this: "BUT THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, WHOM THE FATHER WILL SEND IN MY NAME, HE SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS , AND BRING ALL THINGS TO YOUR REMEMBRANCE, WHATSOEVER I HAVE SAID UNTO YOU". The Holy Spirit inspired the word of God, II Pet.1:21. I understand that to be "baptized by one Spirit" means to be baptized as the Spirit instructs, whether it be Holy Spirit baptism (which occured only in Acts 2 and Acts 10 and 11, or water baptism or the baptism of fire.

If this does not suffice then I invite either you or Mr. Parker to study the issue with me via private conversation on this forum.

God bless, Billy
Hi Billy,
As your brother in Christ, it saddens me that certain churches of Christ have stolen your joy in so many areas, including the notion that the Holy Spirit has ceased in the manner you describe.

To you and all others, I would say this. Your position is a minority position and arguing it will only prove to divide us even more.

As a result, feel free to send each others PM's if any of you persist in this conversation. As for the board as a whole, I'm just going to say that this discussion will not occur openly and I do thank billybalke for offering to take this to PM.

dirtfarmer
chessman , Jim Parker , Razeontherock , WIP , Truthfrees , JohnDB

Hi Billy,
As your brother in Christ, it saddens me that certain churches of Christ have stolen your joy in so many areas, including the notion that the Holy Spirit has ceased in the manner you describe.

To you and all others, I would say this. Your position is a minority position and arguing it will only prove to divide us even more.

As a result, feel free to send each others PM's if any of you persist in this conversation. As for the board as a whole, I'm just going to say that this discussion will not occur openly and I do thank billybalke for offering to take this to PM.

dirtfarmer
chessman , Jim Parker , Razeontherock , WIP , Truthfrees , JohnDB

Dear Stove--If you re-read my posts you will clearly see I had already refused to continue the subject longer via regular posts but that if interested we can go to the PM.

Your charge that my position is that of the "minority". True! However, history carries the message that the majority are not always right. You charge that some of my brethren have stolen my joy regarding the work of the Holy Spirit. Not so! One of my joys is ''what saith the scripture"? Rom.4:3.

I continue to invite dirtfarmer, Parker, and now you to discuss this on the PM as I have offered to do.

And now, Stovebolts I ask you not to delete this post. Let it be seen. This is my last post on the matter.
God bless, Billy Balke.

Dear Stove--If you re-read my posts you will clearly see I had already refused to continue the subject longer via regular posts but that if interested we can go to the PM.

Your charge that my position is that of the "minority". True! However, history carries the message that the majority are not always right. You charge that some of my brethren have stolen my joy regarding the work of the Holy Spirit. Not so! One of my joys is ''what saith the scripture"? Rom.4:3.

I continue to invite dirtfarmer, Parker, and now you to discuss this on the PM as I have offered to do.

And now, Stovebolts I ask you not to delete this post. Let it be seen. This is my last post on the matter.
God bless, Billy Balke.
Billy,
I appreciate you and fully support you taking your study to PM. Thank you.

there is a baptism of the spirit but i am not so sure it is speaking in tongues . tongues is a gift not all will have this gift

Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:4-6

And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

I believe the events of Acts 19 came after Acts 10. :shrug

JLB

Back